Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Last Celebration posted:

Idk who decided this game needed another Wooper regional variant but I’m grateful regardless. Also hope the in base casual wear is an option for missions eventually.

I’m pretty sure that’s just a morbidly obese Pachirisu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Endorph posted:

eh, modern FE usually lets you use the lategame prepromotes for like half the game. Xander joins in chapter 15 of 28.

Fates played weird with pre promotions though. Like unpromoted maids and changing xp growths on units like Camilla.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Upset that Reina, the only Kinshi Knight in the entire franchise, is not the sole Kinshi Knight in heroes instead of a Hinoka alt.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Endorph posted:

i wont notice the divine one thing because ill play in superior japanese. peace.

Has there been a single FE game that hasn’t had dubtitles though? You might not hear it with your ears, but when the words “Divine One” scroll across the text box for the one hundredth time in as many seconds, you will hear it with your soul.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Quick question. What’s the difference between the two different English language subs? Is it just using the heathen British spellings with their extra letter U’s or is it more?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
About what I expected, though a part of me was hoping it was something like a more direct translation for non native speakers or something. Because while the Japanese dub is mediocre, the English dub is godawful. It’s bad, really really bad. Etie sounds like shes 40 and recorded from home. And while I can’t speak a word of Japanese I’ve watched/played enough bad anime and games for it to get real distracting that the text at the bottom is very obviously not what the characters are actually saying.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Would love for them to give you max deployment slots on one of those tiny heroes maps so everyone is just tripping over one another.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Endorph posted:

like as a rando example here's rosado and goldmary's c support, since it's extremely simple in concept.

ENGLISH

JP support with an extremely literal translation

As you can see barring maybe two lines (Goldmary's 'I'm cuter than you' is still implied by her 'I can't get over you saying you're cuter than me,') and the final line from Rosado directly saying he wants to beat Goldmary versus the final line in Eng being more him just wanting to be better in general, these two supports are basically the same. But the structure of the sentences is pretty different.

In general I'd say this support is basically emblematic (heh) of the TL. It's basically the same thing but they massage the conflict a tiny bit in a way that makes it slightly less funny, probably to make the characters seem less 'mean.' But they're so similar it's still hard to complain too much. Barring the obvious intentional changes, that's about where I'm at with the TL as a whole.

I’m not talking about the meaning/accuracy. I’m not accusing them of changing any meaning. I mean in the sense that someone will say something like a curt two words and the text will be a whole sentence, even if both technically meant the exact same thing it hits different. It’s like those parodies about old Kung fu movies where the guy mouths what looks like a whole paragraph and the dub just say “Thanks”.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Endorph posted:

again though, thats what im saying. theres definitely a few cases like that where its just a single line. but if its an extended conversation then sometimes things needs to be rearranged like that.

Yes but I feel a good localization accounts for that. It wasn’t noticeable to this degree in Three Houses (though it didn’t really matter since TH had a good dub anyway outside like 2 characters).

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
IS realized they can sell the S supports/paired endings separately as an “everyone goes on dates and makes kissy faces at each other” dlc. They can even make it put a little matching “soulmates” mark or whatever on any two characters so you’re forced to buy it to make your ships canon.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
My guess is that if we get to play the hounds it’s a pre/side/interquel thing like the Deliverance dlc for echoes or Wolf campaign for Houses. We play as them doing stuff “off camera” as it were.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
What’s Jean good as? Staying a healer seems a big waste of aptitude.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It’s fun to imagine everyone fighting over whose turn it is to use Alears bed. Everyone else just sleeps in a big pile together out on the grass.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I just want everyone to know because I haven’t seen it mentioned, but after seventeen games they finally added a “restart map” button to the menu. Glory Glory Hallelujah!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Endorph posted:

also sigurd and leif could have dialog on their paralogues, too. sigurd even mentions leif being his nephew a couple times already

Sigurd started telling me about how Leif was his relative and was wandering around Somniel with him, before chapter 6. Sigurd time traveling confirmed?!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Is it just me or are axe fighters just not worth it at all? No Defense, no accuracy, no speed , not enough power to make up for not doubling. But I’ve got nothing else that can use axes and the enemies feel like they’re half lances.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Has anyone done any testing for how percents are calculated? Is it GBA style double rolls, Marth game style actually what it says on the tin? Or a Fates style hybrid?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The game really front loaded all the lame characters. Chloe and Louis are alright but need someone to bounce off of, and the early crew isn’t that. It’s not really till Elusia and Solm that you really start getting the fun people.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I’m not a fan of all of the royals getting their own bespoke classes and stealing the cool abilities from the normal ones. Like how was the game improved by not having Alcryst just be an archer/sniper or Diamant a Hero? I think only Ivy and Hortensia aren’t identical to a preexisting class.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Good lord just beat 17 and doing it without the turn wheel is a doozy. Was only able to win by literally running laps around houses being chased by whichever hound was currently aggroed while Seadall had Alear drop two fire veins every turn. 11/10 best map in years. But please tell me I don’t have to fight 6 bosses with phoenix downs at the same time again, my heart can’t take it. Thank god Griss always commits suicide on the first turn.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
PoR is great. “What if we give the most killable dancer in the series, a flying weakness?” In a game that introduced making the whole branch of wind magic anti flyer to boot.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I feel cheated that Lyns paralogue is from Roys game. She’s not even in it!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Tired Moritz posted:

I mean there is a way to help him.

“When Alfred, get that feeling,
Alfred want, sexual healing
Sexual healing, oh dragon
Makes me feel so fine”

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Male Alear has a similar problem to male Corrin where he looks like he’s in toddler clothes despite being a grown man and (at least in the dub) has an annoying whiny voice. So they’re cringy and their naïveté comes off more like being a titanic moron with zero social skills. The girl versions come off a lot better because they look a lot younger so them being naive doesn’t feel like idiocy and more like being young. and they have much better fashion sense that doesn’t immediately make you cringe (well FemAlears hair color still does but what can you do?).

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
More like Doucheron.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I’m going to be completely honest with you Veyle, I much preferred you when you were a psycho and wish we got to recruit her instead of you.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Brb restarting my save file so I can name Alear John Fire Emblem.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Not sure how I feel about revival gems. On the one hand it’s nice having bosses that actually require coordination to take down, but I feel that it makes it annoying when most bosses in the game have an engage attack that can one shot any of your units. Because that means past a certain point in the game every single chapter grinds to a halt 3/4ths in as as you pause to set up your engage attack gank squad.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I class changed Merrin and got amazing results compared to her base class.

To Axe Wolf Knight.

But seriously Axes and Daggers really complement each other and she’s by far my best unit as Lady Axe Wolf. Get her to S with Alear and have him lay down fog or stones from behind her to solve any map on any difficulty.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Never believe anime ages, for that way lies madness. Just assume everyone is the age they appear and behave as.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Just finished
Gameplay 9/10
Story 2/10
The entire finale I felt like I was on drugs because Sombrero repeatedly keeps going on long cackling monologues about how he’s going to leave the world in peace and make sure to not hurt anyone and everyone’s going “Oh God anything but that!” Like this is not exactly increasing the tension Intsys. It’s downright surreal.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Just for a lark, what would be good alternate classes for Seadall and Veyle?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Is there a bonus for engravings matching the wielders emblem ring? It feels like there should.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Dancers short circuit people's logical reasoning faculties. Sometimes two different things is far better than two of your best.

Thing is though that by the time you get Seadall you’re already running out of niches not already covered by at least two units. And by the time of the last third of the game where you’re fielding 14 units you definitely have every niche covered by the first 12 unless you have some really wonky team composition. It’s part of why so many profile cards have Veyle and Mauvier as the last two units, Since they come classed as somewhat unique support units so don’t have compete with “Oh I already have two dodgy guys” or whatever. Veyle let’s you have a second dancer who casts rally spectrum or vein setter, and Mauvier functions as a high movement staff bot who won’t get one shot by endgame enemies (I’m aware he’s actually real good in other classes) and you can never have to many people casting physic.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

mycatscrimes posted:

My biggest problem with rewinds in 3H maddening was the feeling that some things were there specifically as a rewind tax- critting siege tomes, same turn ambush reinforcements, same turn ambush reinforcements with critting siege tomes... But even there it was a good QoL addition.

See this is what I was worried would happen, where even if you didn’t want to use the turn wheel the game would start basing the maps around it. And I think it got real out of hand in Engage since it’s almost like playing minesweeper where you don’t know which random unit on the map triggers the infinite reinforcements or simultaneously agro’s three different multi-healthbar bosses.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Have they said how many DLC emblems there will be by the time the they’re all out. I have no interest in paying for 3 or 4 extra emblems but if it’s twelve I might get them once they’re all out and do a run where I find/replace each emblem with its replacement i.e Im allowed to start using Soren when I get Ike and can’t use Ike.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Last Celebration posted:

Also I think Sombron might be like, legitimately the stupidest FE antagonist in history, like I think the story in and of itself has been solid at worst but like, why would you have dozens of dragon babies as living weapons (or decide at some point to use them for that purpose, whatever) and kill the lion’s share of them without exploring your options first like you could just have more without waiting a thousand years for them to hit dragon adolescence?

Zephia might be in the running with him. Seriously girl it’s been more than a millennia and you still can’t get laid? Is dating really that hard? Griss is right there.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Khizan posted:

She was a dragon, she needed the baby daddy to be another dragon, and he's the only male dragon we meet in the story.

Crossbreeding is a pretty well established pastime in Fire Emblem though. Several protagonists and other characters, including in this very entry, are the product of it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

RevolverDivider posted:

The hounds are mostly poo poo characters but Mauvier has cool lines and they’re extremely fun to fight so that makes them good

I thought it deflated them by having them be the bosses of eight chapters in a row. By the third time Griss was Warp Ragnaroking into me I was just like “Yeah yeah I get it”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Corrin was the last time we got a Manakete unit even counting npcs. And it was almost as unused gameplay wise as it was story wise, and that’s before reclassing. Echoes, Houses, and Engage have all gone without them entirely.