Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

It’s dark and grittier than other fire emblems because you murder your former students by your own hand (and level up off it, thus showing you condone the action and revel in it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

The only route where you murder a couple of your own former students is Silver Snow, otherwise you're only murdering your dumb coworkers' students which is completely different.

This kind of attitude really shows why byleth was a bad teacher

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Fire emblem

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Investing in countries was advertised as a way to make h skrimshes in them more profitable. but I tried one ski rims to see what it was like and while it wasn’t like super hard or anything it was clear it was designed to make you work for it a bit on Hard if you wanted to use it as a grinding outlet anyways, and I figured I didn’t really wanna break the exp curve by indulging in the grinding outlet. Which works out because it means I’ve gotten plenty of gold in the stimmy checks to buy every staff, javelin, handaxe and master seal preemptively. The rest of the limited stock I figure I’ll buy if my roster rounds out more to actually use but no reason to do it right now

I figure if you are going to use skirmishes for grinding then investing will just refund the,selves and more

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Actually... is Vander literally the twins' dad, or just their mentor?

How the heck do you even get that job?

...Or given that Chloe immediately asks about installing her own bed in Alear's bedroom, maybe it's a self-selecting kind of job.

There are supports with the three where Vander mentions the twins parents entrusting them into his care, so he isn’t their father but that doesn’t exclude other kinds of familial relationships

RME
Feb 20, 2012

There’s no underestimating rewarp, only having limited rewarp uses

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Every dang mobile RPG out there has "...oh and you'd better keep who you are a secret" so they can call you Doctor or whatever without a name. Really confusing when they say that and then the story jumps forward and everybody knows exactly what's going on.

This guy played arknights

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I have a hard time placing exactly what bothered me early on with cutscenes because I’m not a stranger to budget conscious considerations like relying heavily on precanned animations or falling back to a lot of characters standing around and just talking. But I did find myself fairly bored early on, and it was slowing down how much I’d play just cause it felt like the cutscene was dragging on but I wasn’t at the point it just skipping. But it definitely wasn’t helping when it felt like they were just kind of going with the basic emoting. Something like that can work a bit better if you just do presentation as a VN text box kind of thing with portraits.
But it’s definitely improved, nothing incredible but as the party gets moving it doesn’t feel so much like idle lollygagging and mishandled attempts at pathos. But there’s also a little more variety too, even small things like the boss of the Firense chapter having his own animation really helps sell him as a kind of lowly comic sleazeball henchman and such. I also think they do a better job at stuff like selling what kind of guy the Brodian King is in a short time which helps a lot, compared to the firense crew who are kind of just boring in their story appearances.

Having a blast with the game though

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I don’t think it’s that honestly

RME
Feb 20, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah it's just that it's too late to enjoy something on its own merits, you have to be tearing down something else in comparison to it.

I’m not really sure it’s this one either, even if it’s a bit endemic in algo boosted spaces

RME
Feb 20, 2012

just a heads up character's SP is on their stat pane in the menu right under Build

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i like that ivy has terminal depression and her two retainers are a guy who posts on 2000s era internet forums and sword jock

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I made Chloe a wyvern and unsurprisingly that’s been pretty good. She gets a little fightier out of it, I don’t think she’d be bad in griffon though. I do miss having a res-flier but she’s also not complete paper to magic which is a nice bonus.
I trained swords cause her Bld is kinda low. This is probably one of the least divergent reclasses lol

RME
Feb 20, 2012

It’s funny that Bunet is supposed to be bad cause uh, I’m not sure if my Louis is that much better and I wanted to make him a great knight (general just feels like a total no go or obligation to use Sigurd, which is annoying when everyone else does have some genuine flexibility)

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Yeah idk if you can count Tiki boosting a unit when she’s clearly meant to be a bit of a light cheaty-dlc as opposed to the hard pay2win exp/gold grinding maps that will come later

RME
Feb 20, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Tiki’s good but I don’t think she seems overtuned or anything? Having a big blob of stats on a unit and being able to give another unit insurance is nice, but it doesn’t feel like it’s expanding my options like doing a massive AOE attack or Jugdral Dance or full screen attack or mass-warping me and fellas like the base game emblems offer.

Her selling point is the extra growths anyways, which does exist to to steroid a unit and is paywalled

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Don’t think there’s anything wrong with just making framme your martial master

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I’m not sure we need to put too much stock in reviewers averages when they seem naturally repellent to fire emblem in impressive ways. Lest we forget that one that complained the saizo was impossible to use because the only part of the battle preview they would use was the expression on characters portraits

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I wish smt5 was a likable game instead of insanely mediocre

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Not as far as I know, you gotta keep track if you care
It’s not worth fretting about too much honestly

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I also made Louis a great knight and then benched him immediately

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I kinda wonder what generals would be like if they got a movement on promote but enemy generals having 5 move sounds way more annoying than what the player would get out of it

RME
Feb 20, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Is there any place which has the effects of the class subtypes (Covert, Mystical, etc) on the Engage skills and attacks with no spoilers? Cause serenes doesn't have things like Lyn's Astral Storm having +10 range on Covert.

Triangle attack is a better resource to use. Serenes is pretty barebones these days (and fwiw I think it’s focus has definitely shifted more heavily to things like rom hacking on the forums over the years)

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Boucher on is just kind of shakey at best and hit rates in early game tend to suck so you really notice it on iron axe. Still he’ll put in some work just as your earliest access to backup attacks

RME
Feb 20, 2012

To be clear nothing i mentioned is insurmountable and he enjoys some nicely distributed growth rates (a bit low on str but axes are high on mt and just hitting a few Bld growths let’s him use heavier ones. At worst he’s a forge target) and a good promotion set but don’t feel bad at just using him for early game chain attacks and benching either, plenty of good axe users down the line

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I’m not sure if speedtaker is really as good as some other 2k cost skills but it sure is pretty fun to snowball a unit with it

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Been a big fan of the crit animations this time and I also like that on fast they feel quick enough I haven’t needed to fully disable them, I’ll just hold ZR if I wanna speed a turn up

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Controversially I don’t think Louis is that good anyways. He’s definitely better than the typical early game armor and it’s not like you have a competition for deploy slots for a while but like other armors he feels worse as your team gets better. One of his biggest boons is that you can put Sigurd on him early and he’s really good but frankly I think Sigurd makes _a lot_ or characters really good
If you do want to use him long term, he has the Build to use axes but a bit of a SkillDex issue so his Hit will be in the tank a bit. This is the actual upside of swords, which is that they have really high natural hit on them, but axes are likely better because of the niche he fills. Maybe consider getting a +hit skill instead. In long term hell desperately need some way of dealing with chain attacks, but at least there’s a skill to negate those

I did promote him to great knight and ditched him pretty quick after, and I don’t think general was gonna solve my greater issues with him

One real nice thing about him early on is all the foot units only have 4 move instead of that being an Armor special. I don’t want to downplay that he is definitely really good at the start

RME fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 9, 2023

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I think movement is still a really good stat actually it’s just more equally distributed by crunching it down. Nothing like warp and rewarp really gets worse by also having good movement on top of them

RME
Feb 20, 2012

They should put less canter in these games not more

RME
Feb 20, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Warrior is Etie's correct fashion decision cause it keeps the midriff and makes her abs more prominent

Her abs that the switch does not render because it’s a bad console 😔

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Yeah it probably does render them on warrior because it’s just the generic outfit at that point but it’s hosed up she talks about her muscles that are only visible in official art and not in game on her, actual design

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I always thought the sacred stone wyvern was kinda sick tbh
Anyhow the terminology is made up and highly regional anyways there’s barely any convention to really stick to

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I can probably count the number of times I’ve used reposition from Ike on one hand but every time I have it’s felt cool which is pretty good for a skill you can get for 200 sp (although I’ve just used it from the freebie from emblem equip)

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Yeah it is weird to give general to anyone

RME
Feb 20, 2012

he’s from the tellius games (9,10)

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Roy is the one that feels most like his smash version than actual game version to me

RME
Feb 20, 2012

vander feels like he is very specifically a callback to fe6-marcus kind of Jeigan, where hes tuned to almost perfectly weaken enemies for your chosen one(s) to pick off, but marcus is a lot better at that job and is carried for longer because he also comes with good weapon ranks and a silver lance, which lets him delete a boss or problem unit or bail you out of poor positioning with a targeted kill. GBA mechanics in rescue also let him never really be that bad although its not like youre exactly hurting for cav/paladin choices in FE6.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

yeah, you misread my post. Master seals are on tracks, but you can use a second seal right after a master seal to go to anything you have proficiency for

You can branch off master seals but only in specific ways, and that will still require a weapon prof
ie louis can get to great knight and chloe can go wyvern rider just by picking up a second weapon prof.
You can see what your “alt branch” options are on the change class screen by scrolling down the list. All the advanced classes have a base class list, and if you want to master seal into them you need to match the base class AND weapon proficiencies.

If you’re making a more radical change, then you need to involve a second seal. Generally it’s recommended to promote and then second seal, cause when you do this all you need to do is match weapon proficiencies and the base class req is ignored. Otherwise you can second seal to the base class of what you want to target and promote normally.

The biggest exceptions are thieves and dancers, which are essentially promoted jobs that a few characters can start in. They’re just flagged as promoted for second seal purposes once they hit 21.
And finally all the royals have unique class tracks, so they’ll always need a second seal and master seal to successfully pivot (still should favor promote then reclass here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

You could do it in the fates too, nice for consolidating all your low charge heal staves. Just another crime 3h has inflicted on the series