Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Taear posted:

It was a fine episode, it's a fine show, but it all feels so obvious all the time. That's not necessarily bad? But it does make it less meaningful for me and me and my partner find ourselves paying less and less attention during the episodes because it's so clear where it's going to be headed.

Yeah same. I no longer expect this to be challenging/elevated material or anything. That's fine, it's still got solid leads and good enough world building that I'll keep tuning in.

Last ep would've been more interesting in a Donner party sense, if days/weeks without food went by with Ellie starving and Joel wasting away, and this preacher shows up offering a devil's bargain: You break the taboo of cannibalism, you live another day. Maybe the preacher convinced his flock with a Transubstantiation argument, they draw lots for volunteers, that kind of thing. Breaking a primal taboo becomes an act of love and everyone is cool with it, except Ellie, and she has to figure out why.

But nah the preacher is a pedophile rapist cult leader. Tune in next week to watch Ellie get traumatized by another twisted freak! The experience will scar her, but can she come back from it??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Alhazred posted:

Is everybody going to ignore that that poster wants "cannibalism as an act of love" to be a plot point.

I'm just spitballing dude, chill out. But yeah "doing hosed up things to protect people you love" is the main theme of this show. I would've liked to see the "hosed up things" have more variety than Pedro shanking mooks #3 and 4 on his way to save Ellie from getting raped onscreen by Reverend Boris Badenov.

And like I'm not the one who brought up cannibalism, the writers put that in there. I'm saying do something interesting with it! Even the Walking Dead played around with factory farming and systemic cruelty in their cannibals and that show was total pulp trash.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

LLSix posted:

So any reasonable person would try every non-fatal method of extracting a cure first.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Martman posted:

It would take like ten minutes to show that the cure is real.

Yeah no kidding. We saw in ep 3 that giving the writers some latitude can really elevate the story. Seeing as this is all made up, they could've written whatever they want.

And yeah, I watched the finale with a group of people (including two healthcare workers and a chemist) and they were all yelling at the screen about the Fireflies lovely plan. Most people aren't going to look past the idiot plot in the service of appreciating what the writers were trying to accomplish. If you have to do that, the writers failed.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
I didn't get the feeling the Fireflies wanted to be FEDRA at all. They kept talking about bringing things back to the way they were before.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah and i disagree with that because you are inserting your own interpretation of what the writers intended on to the material.

Yeah if I went on a ski trip and the bus took a left turn I wouldn't be thrilled at the bus driver telling me to gear up and slalom that there Iowa corn field.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Megasabin posted:

Your way requires the show/game to delve into the the actual medical science (dull & unnecessary, especially in such a lean narrative)

It really doesn't need much. Even tech magical nonsense Star Trek would throw out a suggested fix, show them trying it, and the failed attempt informing next steps.

That abandoned hospital where Joel got bunted could've been the setup. Show monkeys in cages with half of them infected. Maybe they find a dissected clicker on an operating table. I don't know, just show us the Fireflies have been trying but nothing else works instead of taking it on faith from Marlene. This is basic stuff.

I'm not saying the show is bad or anything but show your audience a little respect! We're not all idiots and when something doesn't add up our brains get distracted from the ~themes~

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
average viewer who took a course on media literacy

based goon zombie enjoyer

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

WoodrowSkillson posted:

an issue i have with nearly all zombie related media is the steadfast refusal to show people adapting to the threat by how they are dressed. humans are not very good at biting through clothing, even relatively light stuff.

Quick silly aside: humans have unusually efficient jaw muscles, we beat out every primate except chimps and gorillas.

The main reason we don't shred stuff is bc our teeth buckle before our jaw muscles give out and that's uh, probably not something zombies worry about.

Don't hang onto those jorts is what I'm saying

https://www.discovermagazine.com/the-sciences/who-are-you-calling-weak-human-jaws-are-surprisingly-strong-and-efficient

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yep the Greater Doughnut Theory checks out to me.

The Fireflies as portrayed are barely more than your average raiders. So Joel murking every single one of them feels no different than all the other times. Doesn't really feel like a climax.

If the Fireflies had their poo poo together and idk the doctor sat down and walked it through with Joel, that would be different. But they just kick him out at gunpoint. At that point you have to wonder why they don't just kill him, and now you're making contrivances.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Substitute the poo poo donut with a piece of used toilet paper marked with Sharpie that says "IOU one DONET (tastees gud)"

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
The point is, unless you establish that the Fireflies are good guys making a difficult but necessary choice, there's little weight to Joel murdering them. It doesn't tell us anything new.

And the show rushed things and didn't do a good enough job of making the Fireflies look like trustworthy good guys.

So the hospital scene doesn't hit as hard. We've already seen Joel killing bad guys to save Ellie. It would hit in a totally different and interesting way if we saw Joel killing good guys to save Ellie.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Madurai posted:

The odds don't matter if Ellie isn't offered the choice, period.

Yeah, again, imagine Ellie is offered a 50/50 shot and she agrees to be put under, but Joel can't handle it and kills everyone and tells her raiders did it. Same endpoint but way more interesting situation, Joel's character arc is more defined, and there's more reason for Joel to feel guilty + want to hide the truth.

You could even make her consent scene do a callback to their "we do this all the way" scene with the giraffes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
For comparison, here is how you portray ethical people deciding whether to take apart someone's brain based on an unproven theory: