Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Just so you guys know +additional magic damage works on melee/ranged attacks, no idea if it even works on magic, pretty sure it's just a flat damage modifier. I have no idea if it works on the dummy cause I've heard conflicting things about that but it for sure is changing the thresholds of hits required to kill mobs, when the only thing I change is gear that has that on it, they die in less hits. There is also one unique called like Kuma's Claw that has +15 "additional dark magical damage" or something, and it's locked to ranger/fighter, which would make no sense if it didn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I dunno how many of you actually got to do a lot of HR or got into really sweaty HR lobbies but my biggest concern by far with this game is the balance. The community keeps talking about barb or hasted barb, but wizard itself and ranger really were the outliers to me in sweaty lobbies. You just cannot loving get near them without taking massive chunks of damage, so unless you're playing like 90-95% armor fighter with 2 pocket clerics, you can't actually push into ranged teams. I feel like if they don't massively tone down all the flat dmg gear, the game will eventually just devolve into nothing but rangers and wizards. I really think they need to make a nerf to flat dmg and weapon dmg so it only rolls on jewelry and weapons, and even then only like 1 per ring, 2 on neck, and maybe current range for 2h and like 2-3 on 1h/offhand. Wizard meditate itself probably needs like 2-3x as long of a cooldown and rangers need to be forced to bring in arrows/quivers.

The current damage situation is honestly so dumb, you go from requiring like 6-8 stabs on zombies as a rogue to be able to 1-2 shot them in just blues and greens if they all have +dmg mods on them.

Akumos fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 18, 2023

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
The problem with rangers vs fighters is that rangers just move faster and have better ranged perks. If the fighter is stacking armor, sure, he takes no dmg, but the ranger can just kite him forever. Armor stacking fighter is extremely slow and vulnerable to wizard, so if you run a ranger/wiz/cleric team, you'll just poo poo on fighters. I basically see no reason to run anything other than wiz/ranger/cleric or x2 ranger x1 wiz atm. If you are good at the game, have good gear and map control, nothing can engage on you before they die. So IMO either the entire game needs a massive balance overhaul, or the game needs MMR(kdr + extraction %) and all the giga sweats running those comps can just have fun doing it to each other all day.

Akumos fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 18, 2023

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

ShowTime posted:

If the next playtest doesn't include at least 2 new classes i'll be incredibly surprised. They've been talking about them for awhile. Some are definitely gonna be reserved for release (I wouldn't even be surprised if some of them become purchasable) though.

I'm just mentioning that because it's hard to talk about balancing classes with some major new additions coming. I think this game is a bit of rock, paper, scissors, as are a lot of games these days, so talking about balancing some classes needs to be done, but it's also hard to see where those classes fit in a lineup of 10+ classes.

They have hinted pretty heavily that they are going to be focusing on "Floor 1/B1" and Bard is the next class, but I'm not sure if those will both be in the next playtest, or just one or the other, or maybe neither and they or just one of them will show up in EA. We think a playtest will show up around Easter, then EA in May.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Yeah, red portals/hell are really not that bad on normal mode. The only thing that can really end you are the centaurs and maybe gargoyles if you're really bad. If you have someone with a shield just have them body block and look up and like nothing can hit them anyway. With that said often you need to use portals in the boss room to escape, so I hope you have at least a rogue or ranger to help open them lol.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
3-person blue portals got removed, only reds spawn as 3.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

ShowTime posted:

Have seen anyone talk about it yet, but next playtest is gonna be between March/April, Early Access late April/May (PAID Early Access, but likely cheap) and release in Q4 2023.

https://imgur.com/a/Sied4Q6

I really, really doubt they are going to have a "full" release in Q4 of 2023.. I've heard them talk about their vision for the game, and that simply is not enough time for it. Either they go back on that and stay in EA hell like Tarkov forever or they just release another map and 2 more classes and say it's the full release.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
That's a shame, the game was good. Thankfully the game itself/formula is incredibly simple to remake, proven by the fact they made it in like a year with market assets. Someone else will just come in(probably many) and make the same or very similar games. There is already a mod on mordhau that is basically Dark & Darker but without the out of game stash/vendor aspect. Hopefully some actual AAA dev comes in and makes it and makes it a polished game that doesn't have such a gimmicky trade and inventory system. I get why people liked it but after one playtest I wanted to shoot myself trying to buy simple items. The fun for me was the PvP, not the market or inventory being super hardcore and limited. I would be totally fine with this game in a more casual format with the same formula.

Akumos fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 25, 2023

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Charlie is definitely missing a lot of facts and Nexon may have a legitimate case due to the nature of their role at Nexon/Project P3 and the scalping of other workers. If this isn't cancelled outright they will owe some serious royalties I think because they worked on basically the exact same game, ripped off the exact same formula/style/all the classes etc, used the same workers that were on P3 they scalped, and the one guy potentially had copied a hard drive of the old code/assets to reference, even if he didn't copy and paste it. They have even more of a case if they can prove the guy sabotaged the project/team just to splinter off and steal the concept with his team, which honestly, it kind of looks like. Not to mention all the vague "trade secret" laws Korea seems to have, leaving P3 to immediately use all of their information to make the same kind of game in itself may be a no-go.

Akumos fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 26, 2023

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
https://www.eurogamer.net/ncsoft-attempts-to-block-teras-launch

https://www.eurogamer.net/tera-publisher-rejects-ncsoft-lawsuit

This seems much worse and TERA still launched

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I mean the biggest red flag for me is that they clearly still have some access to the game/code but just scrapped it until the last second when they saw the playtests were going to make the game profitable for Ironmace. They are just in it for the money. Sure they brought a lawsuit against the guy in 2021, but they didn't even attempt to salvage the project. Clearly they didn't have that much faith in it or they would have tried to continue developing it. For that reason alone I don't really support their case and hope Ironmace wins. They had faith in the idea they wanted to create, and seemingly they were the only people capable of making it anyway, so I consider it theirs.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I'm curious who the secret people investing in Ironmace are, I heard it was some Nexon competitor. Maybe they can fund the legal issues, esp after seeing the likely success of the game? Surely they must have some good skin in the game now, like 15-25% at least of the company, I doubt Ironmace could afford to start a studio and do publishing and development without giving a portion of the company to investors.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Post got deleted, I assume it wasn't PR friendly or may hurt their case.. whoops. With that said they raised 40k in like a half hour, they probably could crowdfund the legal fees.

Edit: Nm it's back, apparently rogue discord mods decided it might be a hack and deleted the devs post :laffo:

Akumos fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 31, 2023

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
The gofundme campaign is now down lmao

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

oh no a loving ip law, someone think of the poor multibillion dollar corporation

The problem with this case is moreso the implications of "trade secrets" where if stuff like this is allowed, other companies can basically bribe employees to leak whatever they are currently working on, then try to scalp the employees and make the game before or better than the other company. If things like that are allowed to happen, larger companies can basically permanently gently caress over competitors. I really think the only hope this game has of being released is actually very similar to the TERA story we've heard. If the Korean government and the courts think this game is good for their economy and good PR for their country, they will probably try to let it through and maybe even fund it. Which I think has a decent, if not better chance of happening than with TERA. People loving love this game and it had insane numbers.

Akumos fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 4, 2023

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
https://youtu.be/8dqYobC-xNQ

Stuff like this is exactly why I'm sure we'll have at least one copycat out by the end of the year

I would actually bet on Roblox being the game to copy it, because I've seen that game fully copy other games like "The Culling" and "Stalker" before.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I'm pretty positive the playtest is going to happen because Nexon hasn't followed up with a formal lawsuit, but that doesn't mean the game isn't doing to be in court hell sometime afterwards for months. Nexon doesn't really give a poo poo about stopping their playtest, they care about stopping the release and making a settlement, or possibly stalling the game out or crushing the company so they can just make P3.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Kchama posted:

The 14 days from DMCA filing was yesterday. If Steam was going to put Dark and Darker back up, by virtue of Nexon not suing Ironmace, it would have happened already.

The 14 day rule is from IM doing a counterclaim from what I read, which would be either on the 14th or 15th. They are likely being quiet while they wait and see what Nexon does so they don't promise something they can't 100% do, but I do believe they are going to try. I think the positives of doing another playtest outweigh the negatives for them. They need more good PR after that one employee hosed up and to make people forget about it, and if they genuinely believe they are innocent and their game is 100% theirs, they would have no reason not to do it I guess. It will be a lot easier for them to beg on a gofundme if they get sued right after this playtest when the game is freshly on the mind of everyone who wants it.

Akumos fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 11, 2023

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I think their official counterclaim was somewhere between 29-31st, because that's when they were actually posting the files. Who knows. Sometime between today and the 15th we'll hear something. If that thing isn't "Nexon has officially sued us" then the playtest will likely go forward, probably in hopes of attracting investors to defend them in court by seeing the numbers, which I expect will be even more massive this time. If that fails.. gofundme time.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Kchama posted:

You know thinking about it, it isn't clear that they've counterclaimed at all. They don't have to, technically, though they can't get their game back on Steam until they do. It just delays Nexon needing to sue or not.

As for the investors, well... I'd be shocked if they got any since all of their investors (except HYBE IM) abandoned them officially when the DMCA happened. If they were gonna help them they woulda stuck with them, I think. That's why they had the GoFundMe ready that the one employee got antsy about and started early.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they found some shady investors from a different country or even in the US that just want to make money. If they think there is any chance to get through court, they would invest in a huge game with potential without much staff to deal with, especially if they get a cut of the company.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
the playtest is gonna happen for sure, graysun is acting way too weird on disc

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

ShowTime posted:

Now he is playing Midnight City on Spotify, and in Korea Midnight is in about 30 minutes.

The Discord is just spamming HOLD THE LINE now, like, thats the only thing being posted and it's just constant. Thousands of people have nothing better to do but spam that for hours.

Everyone on this forum is mostly 30-40+, the discord is full of bored teenagers and college kids trying to play the next hype game all their streamers loved.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Initially they had to take a wait and see approach to see if Nexon sued, but I think they are just rolling with the community hype now.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Demon Of The Fall posted:

okay is there a discord to talk about this poo poo, the link below the OP no longer works

https://discord.gg/darkanddarker

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
New map spawns <3 portals total for teams, it's dead. Play goblin caves.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Bro died to caltrops

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Bard really seems kind of not good but idk maybe he is amazing in gear

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
https://dockets.justia.com/docket/washington/wawdce/2:2023cv00576/321151

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

Dang.

Not surprising though.

Anyone else hate the outdoor map?

Well good news they are hotfixing it right now to be a stand alone map and reverting the castle to the old version. Check the ironmace twitter for the patch/info

https://twitter.com/ironmacegames/with_replies

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I think Nexon DMCA'd their server host.. if they DMCA'd a random tweet to get the playtest removed and sued them I'm sure they would do more.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
It's baseline 35 and it immediately scales based off of your high will stat, pretty sure it hits for 50+ on most people, I forgot to test it on dummies but rogues were regularly getting 1 shot by geared clerics with it.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7FPeUSOIGM

Apparently the idea for D&D/P3 was literally just stolen from a Chivalry 1 mod that Koreans liked anyway. :lmao:

Slap tarkov vendors/extraction on it and that's what we have. They should just show this video in court.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
From what some video I watched recently said there was a clause in Choi's employment agreement that he could hand over OR destroy the personal files relating to Nexon projects, and he chose to destroy them, but I'd have to look more into that.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Orv posted:

This game is not remotely worth this much bad posting.

counterpoint: D&D is the only game worth posting about and is the only fun game left in existence for me

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
More than likely they are trying to work with Valve to restore it and if it isn't restored they are going to try to release it with their own launcher while they handle the legal battle. I think if they were going to go the gofundme route and crowdfund the legal battle it would've happened by now, and clearly they didn't like that idea or the rogue employee doing it, and it's a last resort. I think they are going to try to fund their legal battle with EA.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Graysun is being weird again, something about the 9th now, but has also been liking comments and that has hinted at no EA this month at the very least. Likely some announcement tomorrow. Maybe another playtest idk.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Announcement happened and just ending up being them saying EA is delayed and to wait a little longer. I guess they're gonna wait out the lawsuit like most people assumed yeah. Maybe a playtest before then?

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I don't think it's going to release right now. I think they've slowly been hinting and hyping EA and this is going to be the announcement for a date, likely some weeks off to at least get past the US case being dismissed(or so they hope) and injunctions in KR, but we'll see, maybe they're that nuts.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Okay, I was wrong, someone interviewed the CEO and he said it's launching today I guess..? What the gently caress lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYqVlLS5wBA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Kchama posted:

The 'another country' of South Korea, where Ironmace is also from. Honestly the implication is that Chaf Games was set up by Ironmace, since they're a 5 person operation that basically ONLY serves Dark and Darker and rando games that are probably either fake or not allowed to be sold by them. Like, they have a bunch of Team17 games on their store, but Team17 does not mention their games being on Chaf Games like.. at all.

https://pitchbook.com/profiles/company/527365-72

https://kr.linkedin.com/in/hyll

Not Iron Mace affiliated but might be friends with them