Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Can't decide between Danny or Matthew, but I'm gonna risk it and say

Pony: Danny
Poison: Carson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Leatherhead posted:

Everyone from this cast except Carolyn and Yam Yam keep sliding off my brain. My draft picks feel way more arbitrary this season than last.

Just remember that they intentionally decided to cast two gay, married hairdressers this season (they're not married to each other).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea sure if it was a concussion, you'd have to pull him from the game and not let him come back. But I'm sure there's a whole bunch of other things that caused him to not feel well in the evening and if he's totally fine after a night of observation then he should be able to go back into the game. And it goes beyond just the 1 person here. the 24 hour rule on Australian Survivor is a really good rule and should be adopted into US Survivor, even with the 30 day season.

Exit press just came out and he said that he didn't really start feeling better til 3 days afterwards. So he was probably stable, but not really able to function in Survivor since he would do things like sit down on the toilet and not be able to get back up.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
One thing I don't like is that they force people to play their dumb advantage game on the island now. You have to either pull an advantage or lose a vote, whereas before you can just play it safe and flip production the bird.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
In unrelated news, sadly not a surprise, but Nick Wilson is trash.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
This season is definitely starting to wear down on me a little. I think it's this season that's hitting New Era Fatigue for me which is a shame because there are some really fun people (Danny, Carolyn, etc.) but the sheer number of magic sticks and advantages is just getting silly.

Someone pointed out that it's the fourth tribal council and yet the first one where everyone voted.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well, that's the premerge over, and I'm thoroughly whelmed. Advantage era just kinda got in the way of some seriously fun kooky players. Maybe it'll get better, but right now it's like 'okay who am I caring for other than Yam Yam, Carolyn and maybe Danny?'.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

mp5 posted:

Note: Poochie died on the way back from the immunity challenge

Two guesses as to why we didn't see the medivac, or his tribe's reaction to it

1. They have some surprise with his real idol that they want to tell us about next time, they love keeping secrets these days
2. What we did see at Tika is so important to the season that it superceded a pre-juror exit

Man as soon as we saw him fall in the preview everyone knew he was hosed. Maybe they'll tell the contestants to stop looking for powerups where they may fall and die.

Exit press confirmed that the idol left with Matthew. Which makes it the third idol to be gone with a medevac (Colton and Neal in previous seasons).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My take is that they're finally bringing back the auction.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Okay but who else thinks Heidi totally misplayed that advantage?

She was sunk no matter what.

If she gets Ratu to vote out Yam, then she pisses off Carolyn and Carson. If it fails, she pisses all three of them off.

If she puts the vote on Lauren or Jaime and it works to get one of them out, then she pisses off Brandon and whichever of Lauren/Jaime is left. If it fails, she pisses all three of them off.

If she lets Matt go, she pisses off Frannie.

Between that and the 'oooh beware' advantages and the 'it's an idol!... or is it?', sounds like there's no point in trying to hunt for things anymore.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I will say that S42 is a good season in spite of New Era twists. Hourglass and Do or Die were bad but in spite of that the cast was great, editing was even and there was good gameplay.

The rest of the new era seasons though, they can't even edit them to make up for it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't blame Frannie for not throwing once she got immunity to save Matt, even without the factor of having very little to eat for the last two weeks and the reward for winning being a bunch of food, the amount of focus that challenge seems to require would make it pretty hard to think about the benefits of throwing to make sure your biggest ally is safe.

But also I agree about all the twists. I think I skipped the entire tribal council and the last few minutes of pre-tribal to just see the advantage played because that's all that mattered.

There was a funny part early tribal with a papaya, but unless you're invested in the emotional payoff of Carolyn/Yam and Frannie/Matt, there wasn't much point in watching this one yeah.

Fast Luck posted:

Players don't even pagong anymore really! When is the last really bad one?

Worlds Apart, I guess? Outside of one idol play, No Collars other than Will got wiped out pretty early in the merge. But that's a three tribe format so a fairly short pagong. Beyond that you're looking at South Pacific/One World.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Amazing Race doesn't do dumb twists (at least, not anymore, Keoghan was very happy to do away with their stunt casting and selfie challenges) and it's a more expensive show to produce.

I think them trying to do two seasons is probably what's hurting them. Give us one quality season a year and use that extra budget to make it great.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Australian Survivor brings in some of the new era players who then wither into skeletons once they realize they have to make it to like Day 50.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IcePhoenix posted:

lowest total confessional time of any episode so far by a lot, wow

Well that's not a lot, she got only 19 seconds in episode 3 too, apparently.

Also I guess we're halfway through the season? I don't love anybody but I do like a bunch of them. Danny and Kane are alright. Frannie's fun. Yam Yam and Carolyn are good but they are getting pushed a lot. Jaime is at least kinda fun in a misguided delusional way. Heidi and Lauren exist. Carson is probably still too 'arrogant teen' but living on an island for two weeks and puking his guts out seems to have made him less irritating at least.

Better than last season I think, the only people I liked at that point were Ryan and Jesse.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sighence posted:

That was Maryanne from 42. Similar, if less severe, edit problem though. I said it at the time and I'll say it again, if you edit your winner to have a smaller edit than a winner who purposely gave production as little to work with as possible, you need a different job.

Maryanne was honestly pretty present. She intentionally talked about her strategy since the merge even when she wasn't actively making moves. Even things like using her emotions when giving up immunity for rice.

People like Omar and Mike were obviously much more front and center, but Maryanne wasn't invisible. Heck, she ended up having the second most confessionals of the season (Mike had the most). Omar did have more before the finale, but I think that's fine as a 'last major hurdle' kinda deal.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IcePhoenix posted:

He knows he loses and thinks he should have won -> make merch to get fan support -> fans are mad that he lost -> Sia gives him money

the perfect plan

Would Sia even give anyone money this season? I guess Carolyn for 14 years sobriety?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Khanstant posted:

I hope someone wipes that poo poo eating grin off Danny's face before this is over. Blindside him, ASAP they keep booting off the weirdest targets

On the other hand we haven't had a 'big strong guy' as a goat since... what, Ken McNickle?

So Danny getting destroyed by like Carolyn or Yam Yam in FTC might be funny.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IcePhoenix posted:

Idk what was so embarrassing about the exit though.

Probably the scripted 'face'.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Actually wait, why even vote for Heidi? You know the Tikas are voting for Danny. Are you trying to float the middle? That's silly, you either commit to Tika or Soka, because even if they flip back to Heidi next tribal it's a tie at best.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Solid end, decent season.

I think I prefer 42 more but 44's a solid 2nd place out of new era.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Khanstant posted:

It wouldn't be a survivor finale if someone didn't get robbed. Hell, usually the winner is not the person you want it to be with the one you do getting 1 to 0 votes.

Maryanne definitely won well over Mike, the latter had just a terrible final tribal council.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Endless Trash posted:

Probably takes the sting out of it knowing nobody in the history of survivor fire-making challenges could’ve beaten her

Heidi smashing the hourglass and going back in time to beat Chris Underwood.

Also the scariest thing about that tweet is finally seeing Sia's face.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Leatherhead posted:

It's a fair point, and I'd love to be surprised. I just hope it's not 3 tribes of six AGAIN.

Only click if you want spoilers on the tribes, but according to Redmond, it is.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nihonniboku posted:

Apparently, everybody but Vince turned their backs on her after the season ended. They didn't like how the show portrayed Dan, and they insisted on reading a prepared statement in support of him at the reunion, which CBS obviously shut down, which is a big part of the reason why the reunion was pre-recorded, to prevent any shenanigans from the cast. All of the cast still hangs out together, including Dan, with the exception of Kellee and Vince.

It's very weird and it feels like either there's Something Missing we won't find out til after NDAs expire, or the whole cast is just terrible.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Survivor: Debbie vs Debbie

Best part is that you only need to cast one person.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd drop Nick to bottom tier just because of his politics.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Survivor 45 bios are up!

I'm seeing two or three people I already like, which is always a good sign.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Got to pony up Bruce.

And poison Drew Basile. gently caress anyone who self describes themselves as smart and witty. Also identifies with Penner. What a piece of poo poo.

Wait, what's wrong with Penner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean Penner's got big flaws in his game every time he played so the only thing going for someone who says they're gonna play as him is maybe 'I'm a really good narrator'.