Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Battletech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Skypie posted:

I'm running a homebrew setting using Fate: Legends of Anglerre. Kinda of a wuxia theme set in an empire that recently went through a civil war, and the PCs are trying to recover cursed weapons wielded by the previous emperor's elite guard so they can't be used for nefarious purposes

They've recovered several so far, and they've done things like incite a political riot in a small city after revealing the magistrate was corrupt and threw him out of his mansion to the torches-and-pitchforks crowd outside

1) This sounds loving cool

2) And also reminds me I gotta finish up this goddamn Lancer campaign I've been writing because we're supposed to start soon!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

I think Darktides getting a good content patch next month supposedly? Ill revisit as well when it hits

I hope so because a friend got it for me and then got mad and stopped playing like right when I had the free time to really get into it

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and kind of going back and forth about whether I should have just skipped ahead to 3. I think I need to just stop comparing it to other games and enjoy it for what it is though. The end of chapter 3 was cool so hopefully it'll keep some of that momentum going.

I binged all three games in row a couple months ago and 2 definitely has the weakest start and my least favorite overall. It does eventually get noticeably better but you have to put up with like 40 hours of kruft and unlikeable characters to get there, which is bad imo. And if you're just finishing chapter 3, you're still in kruft mode.

That said you're close enough to the game getting good to power through I'd say. Starting about chapter 5 everything finally gets interesting iirc, and the gameplay opens up a lot since you'll get better party members that have more access to combo moves and poo poo. Then you can play 3 and marvel at a game that doesn't take 40 hours to get good :v:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

nah if you're into the crunchier parts of xenoblade I think it's valid to like 2 more, seems like it has the most fleshed out combat - 3 loses a bit of that because there's six party members and its chaotic as poo poo a lot of the time

if you like 2 more for the writing tho then I too will be forced to call you a freak

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

nevermind they were excited about the gacha crystals they a freak

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Torna was real good tho I can't even front. Like if Xenoblade 2 had been Torna quality the entire way through, there would be no question about which was the best.

Sadly, we got Rex instead.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I should add that when Xenoblade 2 does get good imo it gets really good so yeah soldier on through the part you're at and get to the fun stuff

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

you know I never noticed the heels before

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

let's kill rhino and grind up his horn to gain sexual potency

he saw the giraffes after all, there's nothing left for him now

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

still playing battletech. still lmaoing, years later, at the entire concept of the clans

"yes we shall balance this blatantly better than everyone else faction by assuming our players will follow strict rules of engagement we only codified in the fluff parts of the book"

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Skypie posted:

Battletech is cool but it sucks that Harebrained has been condemned to make DLC for it eternally thanks to the Paradox buy-out and they'll never make another Shadowrun: Returns game :smith:

bro what

they've been done with Battletech since 2019

copy posted:

lol that sounds badass can i ask you to elaborate on that?

Back when Battletech was just a tabletop wargame and the mechwarriors and poo poo had not yet been made they had some really iffy ideas about balance. Short version, they introduced a new faction in I think 1991 called THE CLANS and these dudes had equipment that was flatly better than everyone else. Not powercreep, whole rear end new power paradigm. They also deployed 5 robots in their basic unit instead of 4 like everyone else.

The idea to balance these guys was they had to follow their own strict code of E-Bushido (because the clans were weebs, literally) about how they could fight, who they could fight, and when they could fight them. The whole rear end thing was laid out in the parts of the book that were about setting writing. There was nothing about this in the actual rules. So of course anyone who wanted to win would just buy a bunch of clan mechs and not follow these rules.

It was not a very good idea, but it was very funny.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

is warhammer 3 worth getting now? i remember seeing it get a bunch of bad reviews at release so i didnt buy it.

I'd say yes if you actually like the warhammers. Its even a viable buy in since they made the big super campaign available to everyone, though I wouldn't personally recommend that because it still has some quality issues.

There's a lot of game there though and if you're able to play the same game for hundreds of hours and like smashing dudes into each other then go for it imo. Might wanna grab warhams 2 first if you're new to the series though, it's the most polished of the three still.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

yeah i have hundreds of hours in warhammer 2 and for TW games in general. and especially if they unlocked mortal empires that is promising, one TW:W thing i never really cared for was specific campaigns with stories, i like the sandbox stuff. thats totally subjective of course but i bounced right off the campaings from the previous games.

in that case I strongly recommend 3. Immortal Empires owns and all the old factions got at least minor revamps so everything is fresh again.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

oh absolutely, but I am a mark :v:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I don't play rimworld but that last one sounds like a loving godsend and that dude owns for making it

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

NoiseAnnoys posted:

is it worth asking for scifi book recommendations in the book barn? i haven't poked my nose in there for a decade and i want some light reading recommendations, but it used to be just loving dreadful.

I would ask in the sci-fi wifi, a still intensely nerdy but much better forum

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

I just remembered "Everyone who died for their country is a clown" story.

lmao I thought of this a couple days ago completely unbidden, still hilarious

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Cthulu Carl posted:

The basic gist of A Memory Called Empire is that a woman from an independent space station gets sent as an ambassador to a galactic empire after the station's previous ambassador died. The station uses things called imagos to basically store personality back-ups of important people as a way of training successors, but her process gets rushed and is about fifteen years out of date, so she's dropped neck deep into a byzantine mess of trying to find out how her predecessor died while also trying to keep the empire from annexing her home.

The empire also seems to Mesoamerican inspired at least judging by how a lot of the words are styled, so that was neat, too.

Edit: There's also a lot of analysis of linguistics, like in the empire's language "The World" could mean "The palace district" or "the capital planet" or "the empire as a whole" or "known space, including your pissant station" all depending on context that the main character has to pick apart.

That actually sounds like it owns, thanks for the rec

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

I'm at 40 Vigor and the dudes on the way to Godskin Duo are splattering me if I get caught up in their combos, but if I start hitting them first they're boned. It's like almost everything is a glass cannon.

I have 70 int or something like that and Carian Slicer/Adula's Moonblade are both really good, every now and then the moons see some use for sticking frost on an enemy really fast. 70 int in this feels like it's less useful than 40 int was in Dark Souls 1.

I went int/str because I keep doing int/str for some reason. This is the first game where all the weapon buffs I'd want have been non-int, blackflame seems really good

I've been going back and picking up things that I know I missed when I get frustrated by something

40 vigor is not the same sort of breakpoint it was in Dark Souls, and Elden Ring is generally higher level on top of that. You need more vigor.

Int/Str can work it just takes a while to come online and int breakpoints for staffs are kinda odd, don't remember the math off the top of my head.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

have you tried driving less

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

haha what posted:

playin metroid prime and got spider ball, wavebuster, and ice beam so far this morning

everything looks so beautiful and the new dual stick controls are perfect

s-tier remaster imo

Just picked up this and three hopes, lookin forward to both

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

TheSwizzler posted:

Anyone get into Darktide? Other than STO probably my favorite goon gaming group was killing rats

We've got a pretty decent size Darktide crew on the overchill server that gets used for poo poo like Destiny if you're lookin for folks

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

POsting in nu-QCS owns lmao.

Yeah that was intensely hosed up, I'm sorry

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Skypie posted:

I don't understand how Darktide got so hosed up when Vermintide 2 was so fun lol

Like I know VT2 had some struggles early on but nothing like Darktide

Vermintide 2 already made a bunch of mistakes VT1 didn't, fatshark isn't very good at expansion of scope.

Also VT2 absolutely get the same flak Darktide is getting right now, it just happened as a result of post-launch changes instead of at launch :v:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

ive been playing bannerlord for like ten days straight, i have to stop sooner or later

I need to start bannerlord but I'm terrified to because I think I lost time like one of those alien abduction experiences playing the pendor mod for warband

those games are entirely too up my alley

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

5e.tools recommends some other place called foundry that i know nothing about. that might be better!

that said i figure a decent online diceroller will have an xcom-style smoothing algorithm in place. we don't do well with true randomness

I use foundry and love it, but be aware it does require a buy in.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Really the fact that bioware made a hovertank not fun to play as should have clued us in about the future

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

my most controversial gaming opinion is that mass effect 3 is the best one :twisted:

WarpDogs posted:

it's definitely the best game at being what BioWare wanted to do with ME

it's been a decade but I still genuinely think the ending was absolute rear end, especially pre-update. but everything else was fine to good, even the dumb himbo made for xbox players or w/e

Yeah no none of the Mass Effects are bad games imo, and 2 and 3 both have reasons for people to favor them. 3's gameplay is absolutely the best by far too.

But you see, ends bad, so you have to say 2 is your favorite

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Cuttlefush posted:

also star sector

everyone please come play starsector with us, it is one of the good Games threads

I need more people to back me up in saying that the conquest is the best ship

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

If you like to optimize stupid builds andromeda is apparently like crack but I'm weak and was never able to get over all the other jank to find out

Cuttlefush posted:

midline ftw

:hai:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

That'll give you a nice spicy rear end in a top hat too if it spills. Turns out analgesic did not mean what I thought.

:staredog:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm back, I, aaaaa

Look what they have done to your house

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Playing Phantom Brigade today. It's the HBS battletech game but with frozen synapse wego turns instead of turn based, and you can see what the other guys are gonna do during their turn because of fancy bullshit space magic or something. It kinda owns so far, people who like any of those nouns I posted should check it out.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Violen posted:

oh i see youre all preoccupied ill come back later

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

some plague rats posted:

I decided this time I was going to make different decisions and see how they play out but then I get to the whispering hillock and I'm automatically just like THE CHILDREN DO NOT DIE. gently caress YOU VILLAGE SEE YOU IN HELL BARON THE CHILDREN WILL NOT DIE

yeah I have the same reaction every time I try to vary it up lmao

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I will never move house on my own again.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

TheSwizzler posted:

That’s what you get for only having parasocial thread friendships, posters can’t help you move

lmfao

copy posted:

moving loving sucks. sorry friend

Oh I'm good now I'm well out of the moving every eight months stage of my life, I was just echoing Marcus' sentiment.

WarpDogs posted:

We're facing a potential move cross-country and I have no idea where to even start. I love my family very dearly, but if I lived alone I'd sell everything in my house that couldn't fit in a single suitcase and just be done with it

Cross country movers like SPR mentioned are a thing and are mostly pretty good. Just do a bit of research on who they partner with at the dropoff location, sometimes you can get a good crew on one end and a lovely one on the other. If you can afford it it is absolutely worth it though.

Psycho Landlord has a new favorite as of 23:25 on Mar 8, 2023

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Greetings. We just moved and it sucked rear end though we are in a much better place now

grats on the move being over though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I'm trying very hard to get into Sunless Skies because a few friends of mine think it's some kinda magnum opus but I feel myself falling off it again

if anyone has any secrets on how to make the gothic space locomotives game fun please share them

Psycho Landlord has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Mar 10, 2023