Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Overclockers used to be run by an absolute piece of poo poo but he died so they’re probably alright now.

I was under the impression the big special boy’s big special day was on Monday because my office is completely closed (which they only do for Xmas Day and Easter Sunday, not just regular bank holidays) but apparently it was yesterday and I completely missed the whole thing.

No idea why we’re closed then but that’s a little win for the frontline people who’d have to work it otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

It's weird, before Brexit/Trump/Gamergate most PC tech guys tended to be libertarian/above it all types, not authoritarian nationalists.

Obviously there is a pipeline, and plenty of Farages and such, but "I need the government to aggressively advance the interests of my ethnic group" is odd for a small business PC tech guy of that era.

He was a bigoted prick all the way back to the early/mid 00s, he’d post all kinds of awful racist and homophobic poo poo openly on their public discussion forums.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Rik Mayall did propaganda supporting our lovely FPTP system in the AV referendum and I have never been able to let it go :smith:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah if it goes to a referendum “keep them” would win, best to skip that bit

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I understand why people like it but it does nothing for me, personally.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wasn’t he some social media guy which overrides all political and quality concerns because everyone loves a social media guy

Is this year’s field entirely tiktokers to capitalise on this newfound strategy

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The secret leftist takeover is also apparently reliant on the Lib Dem’s getting another taste of power and not immediately loving it again like the shithouses they are, so I think there’s not much for the powers-that-be to worry about here.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

crispix posted:

they changed the bloody dog's name to Trigger for the film in 1955 ffs

No they didn’t that was dubbed in later

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I had an argument with someone I used to work with a few weeks ago where their entire point came to, almost verbatim, “don’t tell me I can’t say something when I’m reality I can say what I want, because I’m allowed to be an rear end in a top hat if I want to be an rear end in a top hat”

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What if you just really want legal speed

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I just met up with an old mate for a drink and two pints is £9 what the gently caress is wrong with this country

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m in the south west and absolutely not at a spoons because gently caress that so I feel safe, but still absolutely rinsed

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

lol gey poope

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nettle Soup posted:

I really should be shoplifting cheese.

That’s been true forever though

Cheese and coffee have always been weirdly hot options for nicking

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I only know one person who ends their texts with an x if he’s texting his girlfriend, sometimes he does it to someone in the group chat reflexively and then we make fun of him mercilessly for a bit.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

To me the differences between Napalm Death and Slipknot are massive

I read this and immediately went “well yeah no poo poo-“ but then stopped because

quote:

but that's because I've spent 25 years listening to this poo poo to point where even the difference between death metal era At The Gates and melodic death metal era of At The Gates (essentially everything before Terminal Spirit Disease and TSD onwards) is vast.

And realised oh no me too I’m so loving old :smith:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

After Superbug predicted the rona I’m concerned about the track listing for their new disaster themed album

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah New Zealand lamb has been around forever, that’s not a post-Brexit thing although maybe they’ve been louder about putting it on the packaging?

Edit: wasn’t there some cricket or rugby guy as the face of a big ad campaign about it in the 90s/00s?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You will have the exciting new choice to pay for it or die from it

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My GP phased out phone appointments a few years ago and switched to some online thing where you just left a chat message for a doctor with an optional picture in case you just wanted to play a game of “does this look infected” and then they’d reply at some point with “yes/no/go to hospital and don’t touch anybody along the way” and send an appropriate prescription to your nominated chemist.

It was almost certainly absolutely useless dogshit if you’re not tech savvy at all but I got by.

They’ve now replaced it with a much worse, shittier thing that just says no appointments try again later so even the people who can work out how to navigate the system can’t see the doctor anyway. I’m not sure what the receptionists do now because they won’t set up appointments over the phone and they won’t discuss test results or medical notes or any other topics until after 1 so 8-1 is reserved solely for answering the phone and telling people to gently caress off I guess?

I’m sure they have other important surgery poo poo to do I just don’t know what it is

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If I didn’t have to pay bills and not starve to death I would never work a single second ever again it absolutely loving sucks.

I could do a 4 day week right now if I compressed my working hours but that just makes my days feel endless and it’s just not worth the hassle and having to spend an extra 2 hours a day setting high scores in spreadsheet hero.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I respect it but I’ll never understand it.

I was unemployed for ~18 months once and spent the whole time at home doing gently caress all and it was amazing 10/10 would do it again in a heartbeat, other than not having any money.

If I didn’t need the money I could do basically nothing forever, sorted.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I can’t think of a job that exists that I’d actually want to get up and do for 35-40 hours a week.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Imagine if that was a thing. You'd try to do something on Sunday and it would be physically impossible.

This is called living in a rural area with no personal transport.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s “everyone wants to go back to the office so they can spend money they don’t have on commuting and coffee” taken to the extreme

sebzilla posted:

Being furloughed on full pay for a few months was the best time of my life.

My role was too “business critical” to be furloughed and I missed out entirely, very bitter about this

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Private Speech posted:

At some point work does need to be done though.

Let the freaks who want to work do it

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I wonder what’s going to happen when they automate all the jobs and then realise nobody has any money to buy the poo poo they’re trying to sell them because all the jobs got automated

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The Orville is the superior Modern Star Trek Experience even with Seth MacFarlane front and centre

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I like seeing the Welsh signs whenever I go over the bridge, it’s like going on holiday except I can actually afford it more than once every few years.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

This time will be the time it sticks!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I was more surprised that he was an animal hospital

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s not gonna be any of the big names of any party because they did it for free and not a 6 figure bung with a no-show ‘consulting’ contract.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Realistically, what is the best option to deal with some unrepentant bellend harassing people for TikTok likes or follows or whatever the clout currency is on that platform?

In terms of a “this is what society should do to stop this specific person from being such a oval office to other people” solution, not on the individual “I would twat the fucker if he harassed me, simple as” level.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gort posted:

Isn't it just basic sentencing guidelines? Like you shoplift some earrings from Claire's Accessories, you might get a more lenient sentence if you say you learned your lesson and you'll never do it again. Next time you do it, you don't have the "first offense" excuse and you get a harsher punishment.

The difference there is you’ve nicked something, which is inarguably breaking the law.

Being an obnoxious oval office for social media likes in and of itself isn’t breaking the law, so there’s not really a ‘sentencing guideline’ for it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What were the prosecutions about? I am lacking context, not that context could in any way make that kind of profiling excusable.

Presumably the one where the computer system they bought was a piece of poo poo and they insisted no actually the system is fine we just have a lot of thieving postmasters to prosecute.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Post_Office_scandal

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

I demand more loving DLC that game scratches my exact itch.

They’re doing SpongeBob SquarePants next

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

crispix posted:

there should be a special crime for what spacey and schofield did lol

nooo i'm gay actually don't look at the sex crimes i did i'm very brave for coming out :smug:

“hey hey hey c’mon, I’m a gay guy, I’m just a gay guy, nooo, and also it’s my birthday, I’m a gay birthday boy” and it somehow always worked

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

In the early 00s I got waved straight through passport control coming back into the UK from the US as soon as the guy in the little booth saw my burgundy passport come out of my pocket.

I don’t know if it’s just because I was the only person who went to the British passport queue or something so they figured “we were only expecting one and this is clearly him” or if it was even lazier than that and they just didn’t give a gently caress at all.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

We had this teacher that used to go around saying "if you're not going to get an A it's not worth doing the O-level" (A was the top grade back in those days and O-levels were still pass/fail unlike couple of years later when there was no such thing as 'pass/fail' but everyone knew if you didn't get C (or the equivalent in other exam boards - they were all different grading systems back then) you had effectively failed. Noone gives a monkey's about your O-level (GCSE/BTEC/whatever) grades or even most of the time your degree grades once you're out in the 'real world'.

On our first day of sixth form the head of year 12 told us, and this is verbatim because it’s a sentence that hosed up my entire academic career so it’s burned into my brain, “You’ve all done your GCSEs now and that’s something of an achievement, but for the last 5 years you’ve had it drilled into you that they’re the most important exams you’ll ever take and it’s time for me to tell you that that’s actually a load of bollocks and the real learning starts now.”

As a hormonal and rebellious 16 year old this was a terrible way to try and get me in the mood for higher education and I just sacked the whole thing off pretty much immediately, because in my mind they’d just bullshitted me through 5 years of hoops and I wasn’t in the mood for another however many years of it.

Obviously as an adult I know it’s true and not only are GCSEs bollocks but so are most degrees, given the number of people I work with who have degrees in all kinds of weird poo poo and still ended up working an office job shuffling the numbers about, but I probably could have done something more interesting than bum about for a couple of years before getting a job in a shop without that speech :v:

crispix posted:

were you doing a cockney walk and loudly singing knees up mother brown at the time

No I hadn’t slept for like 20 hours so I was mostly doing an exhausted lurching shuffle with resigned expression, which is another good way of spotting one of us I guess.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

crispix posted:

yeah you don't shite out the same hole do you :mad:

Hollywood are gonna use this pub argument as the basis for a human centipede reboot