Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

Same - the Vegas GP is going to be great.

With all of zero support series alongside Formula 1 sessions. Oops.

Diet Crack posted:

Disks out for the boys, disks out for the boys

Phwoar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Quote =/= edit

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

For the record I did not approve the closure of my thread, but I expect nothing less from the Hitler Moderators of the Something Awful Forums.

Wasn’t my doing, but also the off-season is over OP. It’s now the season for speedy race cars (and also Williams and McLaren).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CancerCakes posted:

Max is going to disappear into the distance while wingman checo wins the race for him, same as last year.

In fairness Bahrain is a circuit Max hasn’t won at, and both RBRs stopped because of engine melting in last year’s race. So. It could happen.

It’s the hope that kills you, though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Custard Undies posted:

Glad the race is at 2am for me. I'll just sleep and watch the highlights package on YouTube at work in the morning.

It’s starting at midnight for me, might watch the start but that’s likely to be it.

Might try to watch the whole replay if we get a Certified Classic, otherwise it’ll be highlights this time for me too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Carrier posted:

missed all of practice and quali but i can only assume that the papaya boys are looking fast as gently caress and on course to win the drivers and constructors championship this year

poggers!

Go take a big ol sip of coffee and check the qualifying results :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Time for Lewis to Get In There

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Zeta Acosta posted:

im the lovely heart beat sound effect

Couldn’t tell if that was the coverage or live at the track lmao. Either way…

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

and it’s LIGHTS OUT AND AWAY WE POST

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

That was…optimistic from Lance

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

lmfao they didn’t tell alonso who hit him

Yet

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

f1 needs to adopt stages and competition cautions from nascar

:mods:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dante posted:

From my uninformed layman understanding of the sport:
1. Adrian Newey is an expert on the ground effect and wrote his thesis on it, and has workshopped cars reliant on ground effects for years (see Aston Martin Valkyrie) and therefore the RB is just miles ahead of everyone else.

Newey also has been working in racing since the mid 1980s, so he helped work on ground effects cars back then! I don’t think it’s as much his experience there as the overall “can see the air” genius for design combined with an eye for reading the rules and finding the best way to still get what they need from the framework.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

The Race is an Aramco mouthpiece so they can get hosed.

Everything WTF1 is poo poo
Those two idiots that used to run WTF1 are poo poo
FF1S and shift F1 are both bad, but they’re the best of the bad podcasts and ultimately you need something to listen to on the train.

Shift-F1 is good but I’m sure other Formula 1 fans who remember tobacco advertising might have complaints or remember things better than the hosts sometimes.

The other one I can recommend is Midweek Motorsports from the Radio Le Mans team, they do talk regularly about Formula 1 on and off the track.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, he’s got one of the podcasts we recommended!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

It turns out if your competition is a company that spent £5bn on F1 to get no wins, some French people who forgot to put the wing on the car, someone who doesn't realise he's not a literal cowboy, a dentist and the company that built the car your great granddad drove it's slightly easier to get the odd pole.

Toyota are now Good at Le Mans, and the Cadillac is quick and has already completed the first leg of the 36 Hours of Florida, but yeah, the odd pole and fast-track to being competitive seems pretty accurate. Should be a fun weekend at Sebring.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

zakmarkers

It’s sad it’s come to that, but it is very true.

Mokotow posted:

Who is this ??

Somebody very suddenly glad he’s not on the grid for this season, in all likelihood.

Watched the replay this morning, should’ve just watched highlights. Onwards to a real track.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Diet Crack posted:

Personally I'm more worried about when Brundle cacks it and we're left with Crofty and some other annoying chud
Can we AI previous commentators back in like Murray?

It’s okay, we already have a Brundle clone, we’re set for a while.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i want these conspiracies about Mercedes-Benz Group fully backing aston martin and withdrawing support from toto's team to be real

I don’t know why they would do this, so gonna need some explanation here.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Personal Lucubrant posted:

For like, actual on-topic lols; remember when Porsche was totally going to be in F1 for real?

Lmao:
https://www.carscoops.com/2023/03/rejected-by-red-bull-and-mclaren-porsche-no-longer-wants-an-f1-entry/amp/

"It looks like Porsche will instead focus on its Formula E program"

The natural destination for F1 rejects.

Somebody decided they won’t get what they want (controlling interest in an F1 team, or cheap re-badging of the Audi lump) so are going to continue in sports cars instead. Inevitable.

Also Reddit gets dunked on because it’s the easiest target with even worse opinions than this thread. It’s not really SA remaining spiky, but instead sports posters still remaining the gold standard on god’s green internet. Even in this accursed thread.

FakeBlood posted:

I sort of get why RB didn't want to get bought by Porsche and stop being just Red Bull and share top billing with Porsche but what's McLaren's excuse?

Same thing, though they might also have to take the road car division and don’t want to :haw:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

It bears repeating - Porsche’s 1991 3512 V12 is the absolute worst major engine program of the last 50 years.

So, so, so bad. And it went to Footwork for entirely predictable reasons as well, apparently (Japanese businessman who owned Arrows/Footwork got stars in his eyes thinking about the Porsche connection).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

daslog posted:

Redbull is going to be supplied by Ford engines when the next formula comes along (or partner) . What ever they decide to do, they are going to be midfield at best. Can't wait to see Max sign with Ferrari.

No, Red Bull is developing their own engine, it’ll be badged as Ford. They’ve been poaching a lot of people - some from Honda, many from Mercedes - and building up the engine factory.

The exact same engine could have wound up badged as a Porsche if Porsche hadn’t insisted on having equal equity in the full Red Bull F1 setup, both the race team and the power train side.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

daslog posted:

So this is a Ford advertising campaign? How lame is that?

It’s all marketing budget, for everyone. All of it.

That said, one of the most important, longest-serving engines in F1 history was the Ford-Cosworth DFV, in use for 20+ years and the backbone of the sport for much of that. And that was also effectively a marketing deal for Ford as well, so they have previous :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sunk Dunk posted:

kimi is racing in nascar today, that might be funny

And so is Jenson Button, it’s almost a sports car race with that number of ex-F1 drivers rattling around.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Bobby kube was real big wasn't he?

6’ / 183 cm, which is about the end of the normal curve for tall F1 drivers. The tallest I can think of is the late Justin Wilson, who was 6’3 / 193 cm yet still made it to F1 and kicked rear end in IndyCar.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bryter posted:

I’d got in my head that Latifi Sr was behind Dorilton, but I guess not. Surely somebody involved has an F3 failson or something? They don’t genuinely think they’re going to make money off the team?

They bought low (buying out the Williams family and other small stakeholders) and F1 has appreciated in value even in the few years since, and there are still multiple groups circling around entering and possibly needing to buy a team. So from their main metric of “we can sell it for a profit” that should be fine.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Otoh, it’s the same guy that directed Senna. Otoh, it’s 8 hours of Bernie.

Watched it a couple months back, it’s pretty good. It’s essentially A History of F1 through the lens of Bernie Ecclestone, the stuff in the ‘60s and ‘70s is the most interesting for me. The 2000s sections do get into the whole mess of Bernie’s legal problems, though, which is…certainly something.

And hell, we’re in mid-season between-race form if that lamp is making another appearance.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

At the risk of being too :bahgawd: I'd rather the sport is run as a sport and not to provide extra opportunities for F1 Sprint Sponsored By Subway or whatever the gently caress the current owners are trying to do

Nah, this is trying to gin up more sessions with “stakes” but it’ll just continue to strangle the golden goose. The sprints and that weekend format is way too busy as it is, especially considering how many races there are now. 20+ races when a season was 16-18 just a few years ago, it’s just too much.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

net work error posted:

Nobody here will say the truth but I will, endurance racing is the superior form of motorsport.

The long form is the best, still.

And F1 is weird because it hasn’t always had pit stops, never mind fuel stops, whereas the nature of races like the Indy 500 or Daytona 500 have required it. So that may be why it feels more normal in American racing.

:chloe:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Do MotoGP weekends run with additional air fences that aren’t used for cars at the same circuit? Because if that’s the case then it’s what will stop any of those dreams happening cold.

Also there’s almost no way to find enough track time for both series and their ladder series over the course of a weekend.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

MotoGP the best motorsport would only be tainted by association with such a criminal fraud as Formula One

don't go check the Pramac bikes then.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wifi Toilet posted:

I've never watched a motogp race, do they have the equivalent of pit stops? Laughing at team "strategies" going wrong is the best part of F1.

Only when it’s wet and becomes dry (or vice versa) and riders have to change bikes. Otherwise standard dry races don’t have fuel or tire stops.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Custard Undies posted:

FYI, Slamball is returning this year, so we can all get hyped for it, watch the game then be disappointed with how boring it actually is.

Can’t wait to see how it causes catastrophic injuries, too. Think that’s why the original run of the show was cut short.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Especially given MotoGP hasn't figured out the concept of having reserve riders being less than 2 weeks travel away so despite Pol being injured in practice for round 1, they didn't have a replacement even at round 2 and the works Honda team got themselves into a situation where they couldn't even field an entry at the start of round 2.

I don’t remember the wording specifically but for one or two rounds a team is allowed to not field a bike. So in this case Repsol Honda can keep Marquez out from Argentina and bring him back for COTA.

With injuries that are longer term there’s a requirement to have a replacement rider, which is what KTM/GasGas/Tech3 have done for Pol from COTA forward.

Tl;dr blame the rules, as usual.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BabyFur Denny posted:

don't complain. F1 should be commended that they refuse to race in China due to their ongoing human rights violations. I wish more sports had the backbone to refuse to cooperate with those regimes and instead only race in clean, acceptable countries.

not quite sure that's why they dropped the Chinese GP, OP

crackhaed posted:

I love that this is a photo of both of them working from home.

or at least getting some training in at home.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

I recall reading something in another thread about some device a team had that was totally normal but when installed it was illegal but you'd never know. That was f1 right?

I think you’re looking for Toyota’s WRC turbo restrictor cheat from the 1990s, which only activated when it was installed.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spaced God posted:

So is the FIA doing anything to address how insane car weights have become in any of the upcoming tech regs? I feel like a lighter car can add way more to the racing than any other gimmick

Probably not due to the nature of other rules:

• Not introducing refueling, which means carrying a bigger fuel tank and a longer car
  • Keeping the hybrid system and it’s battery, which adds plenty of weight
  • Crash structures front and rear add length
  • Halo adds weight as well

It’s a shame, but I don’t see how it can change.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dictator. posted:

Or F1 TV pro, which is 60 for the year?

not available in the UK, because of Sky F1 I believe.

but if you're able to get your internet connection to travel, there was discussion before the year about which country's rates for F1 TV were the best. Can't remember offhand, but some countries had it cheaper for the full package than others.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kirios posted:

This thread needs to put some respect on the man's name imo

Can’t tell if it’s better or worse than when the thread dug in on the Britney jokes that some drivers in the paddock made about Rosberg :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Custard Undies posted:

To be fair, it was a great comment from Mark Webber, "Britney's in the wall".

Rosberg really was a proto Max, beat Lewis and had a love of walls.

I thought it was Webber, and yeah it was brilliant :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

Who the gently caress is putting corn on a pizza? Sounds like a fail British invention to me.

Japan, Taiwan, Korea, etc

it's bad, OP. it's often accompanied by mayonnaise.