Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Welcome back thread, please don't die again.

Dear President Putin. Please go visit the front lines for a bit, your troops will be happy to see you offering moral support when the HIMARs lands. This is the best thing you can do for your country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Drone_Fragger posted:

Putin reportedly "seething with anger" after shamanic ritual where he drank a gallon of horse cum would "not increase the fighting condition of our troops" and in fact "destroyed morale in the rank and file infantry and conscripts" as it "makes putin look insane". Putin is apparantly now looking for another shaman who will provide a working horse cum ritual, rather than a fraudulent one.

There's a shaman dude serving a 41 month sentence in a prison in Safford, AZ. Maybe Putin could work out a trade, we send him the shaman and they release some Ukrainian prisoners or something.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

We can't invade and win against Mexico because then the GOP would lose like 98% of their talking points and campaign hate targets for their fundraising.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Dwesa posted:

They're private only on paper. They receive everything from Russian MoD.

Japan sent its "tanks" (it should be probably m, not bn)

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1639375031217029121

From the linked Facebook post:

A group of Japanese upper house deputies from the Renaissance opposition party have set up a 1.2 million fund by deductions from their salary. Dollars on which purchased 20 tracks Toyota Helix and two containers of useful products for our zsu.

------------

So yeah, 1.2 million (Euro's? Dollars? Can't be Yen because that would only be about 9200 USD) taken out of their own salaries to buy these trucks.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

The one thing the US does extremely well. Defense contracting.

If it was the US in combat that ramp-up in production would be orders of magnitude faster and higher.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

I'm blocked by whoever that other Gabe twitter account is so I dunno what it said but if they blocked me it was probably some really dumb poo poo anyway so no big loss

appropriatemetaphor posted:

yeah same, weird lol. thanks musk i guess.

Well, I preserved it for you, but it's pretty disgusting. Click to see, not hotlinking.

:nms: Tag for anti-Ukranian hot garbage image.

https://www.magetower.com/pics/NaziShitheadTweet.jpg

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

gently caress the Mexicans and Texas. We should probably nuke Arizona. Again

Our scorpions will get mad, grow really large, and make you regret it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Computer viking posted:

(Though then again you have the "If English was good enough for Jesus it's good enough for the USA" people)

Ah yes English. The best and most un-confusing language ever.

Where I can shoot you with an arrow from my bow.
Or I can bow down to my lord and savior Jesus Trump.
Or I can sit on the bow of my boat and enjoy the breeze.
Or I can give you a nice package with a lovely bow on top.
Or I can admire the lovely bow of a rainbow.
Or I can listen to the beautiful music from a violinist stroking her bow across the strings.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Don't read too many of the replies to this on Twitter if you want to retain any kind of hope for the future of the United States.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

This may have been posted and I missed it...

https://apnews.com/article/ukraine-russia-war-abrams-tanks-94294a9c1e1acc50098afa440bcb4d40

US speeds up Abrams tank delivery to Ukraine war zone

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon is speeding up its delivery of Abrams tanks to Ukraine, opting to send a refurbished older model that can be ready faster, with the aim of getting the 70-ton battle powerhouses to the war zone by the fall, the Pentagon said Tuesday.

The original plan was to send Ukraine 31 of the newer M1A2 Abrams, which could have taken a year or two to build and ship. But officials said the decision was made to send the older M1A1 version, which can be taken from Army stocks. Officials said the M1A1 also will be easier for Ukrainian forces to learn to use and maintain as they fight the invading Russian forces.

“This is about getting this important combat capability into the hands of the Ukrainians sooner rather than later,” said Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder, the Pentagon press secretary.

Possibly completely coincidental... Tonight I was driving across southern AZ and stopped at a rest area along I-8. Noticed a train coming so since I was stretching my legs I wandered over where I could watch it go by... Was surprised to see that it wasn't a typical freight train, rather it was all flatbeds carrying various military vehicles, including at least 28 Abrams (was dark and I may have missed some). Also on the train, a bunch of Humvee's, M113's, Bradley's, and some sort of self propelled artillery (Paladin's?). Also lots of support type vehicles.

Train was headed east.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

At least Iraq is on a different continent. This is more like invading Mexico and the army is stuck assaulting Tijuana still. And the army is pulling M48s out of storage, and Tucker Carlson threatens to nuke Mexico City every night

Tijuana is actually a pretty bad comparison, as it's a huge city with a population of about 2 million people whereas Bakhmut pre-war was just over 71,000 folks. I was going to say Nogales is a better comparison, but it has over 200k people.

Tecate. Tecate is a decent comparison I suppose, it is barely over 100k people! So yeah... like we failed to advance beyond Tecate in over 400 days of war while losing a huge portion of our ground forces in the process.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

This is funny, but sadly not the tank from the parade, which had different stuff painted on the turret ahead of the symbol on this one falling off the truck.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

I think the costs also gets overblown, like remember how mad everyone was about the F-35 program? It's now cheaper per unit than any comparable plane. I think even than the F-16?

One reason everyone in the media went nuts over the cost was that a large number (1.7 Trillion or something) was released for the program at one point, and everyone went bug-nuts over the unit price when they did the math... but nobody bothered to read that the number was for the fleet of aircraft (2400'ish), and all costs to operate them for the entire lifespan of like 57 years. So R&D, acquisition, spare parts, fuel, personnel salaries for 57 years.. Everything was included in that number.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Killer robot posted:

It doesn't really change that there was a ridiculously bloated upfront cost due to dumb requirements and R&D fuckups, but that only adds to people getting confused by program cost vs manufacturing cost. It's how you keep getting the repeated "Boy this project is expensive, so we cut the order in half and it's sure lucky we did that since the unit price just went up 70%!"

See the F-22 for a good example of how cutting numbers causes terrible unit pricing. Also the B-2.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

A patriot would not be likely able to shoot down an intercontinental ballistic missile that's firing off MIRVs on re-entry. A cruise missile is one thing, they travel relatively slow. Even kinzhals and other hypersonic missiles travel relatively slow.

ICBM warheads re-enter the atmosphere at 4 to 5 miles per second. That's 22,000-29,000 km/h or 13,000-18,000 mph.

Kinzhals travel at 7,600 mph at their absolute ideal fastest.

By the time the warheads even reached an altitude low enough for a Patriot to intercept it, it's seconds away from an airburst detonation anyway.

A patriot would be able to shoot down strategic bombers like the Bear and the Blackjack. It could shoot down nuclear capable Iskander, Tochka-U, and Kinzhal missiles. It might even be able to shoot down the Belgorod-class nuke sub's missiles.

It cannot do a drat thing about ICBMs and neither can any other air defense system. The only way to deal with ICBMs is to shoot them down in their boost phase as it leaves the silo or launch platform. And even then you've got a window of maybe 45 seconds to do that before they hit orbital injection

Not sure about the Patriot system, but the Aegis ballistic missile defense-equipped SM-3 Block II-A missile demonstrated it can shoot down an ICBM target on 16 Nov 2020. The US Navy SM-3 missiles demonstrated over 2 years ago the ability to knock down a ballistic missile target after re-entry.

So while you might be absolutely correct about the Patriot system, it also wouldn't surprise me if they were more capable than anyone outside of the top-secret circles actually knows.

In any case, it is doubtful that Russia would be using long range ICBM's on Ukraine, but rather air launched or short/medium range missile launched warheads.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Private Cumshoe posted:

Can't believe the US even allows women to NOT be pregnant, smdh

Fixed that for the current US politics.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

NoiseAnnoys posted:

also wouldn't the bigger danger be ambient humidity than water per se?

Those of us who live in the Phoenix or Tucson area consider it to be extremely humid in the summer when it gets into double digit humidity. Basically before we got stupid and decided a specific date to start and stop 'monsoon season' it was just whenever several consecutive days managed to hit a 55 degree dewpoint, until several consecutive days didn't hit a 55 degree dewpoint. During some months in the summer the LOW temperature overnight doesn't get below 90.

But yeah, there are a couple of aircraft boneyards in the Tucson area (one in Marana north of Tucson) because it's generally warm to hot and dry. Very dry.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Joke Miriam posted:

Why doesn’t Russia just shoot every missile they have all at once, overwhelming air defense and doing a lot of damage?

A seemingly obvious answer, which is purely a guess, is lack of launchers. They only have so many available launch platforms in operation at once and aircraft need lots of maintenance to keep flying.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1664201305437491200
Looks like the bridge is worse off than we thought. If they don't close it off to traffic, it might collapse on its own.

Hey, it might collapse on its own if they do close it off, so might as well keep it open!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Gotta love our government/military. Spend 15 billion dollars and decommission it the day after it goes online.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

I was trying to warn posters who wanted to lecture you about submarines as I recognise you from the Lego thread

Did he make a Lego submarine?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Yikes.. that shockwave could have certainly caused a bunch of injuries in the Ukraine front lines, hope they were all down in the trenches and didn't get hurt.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So um... we would love to sell a bunch of tanks (and other weapons) to people, as long as they agree not to use such tanks or weapons to defend themselves against an invasion?

Are the Swiss just not wanting to have any military exports at all after this?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Zzulu posted:

It might be a surprise to certain Americans that holding an election during war is a bad thing since you guys did that successfully during a couple of wars. The major MAJOR difference here is that your borders were not threatened and your civilians were generally safe in all the modern wars.

Ukrainian citizens are demonstrably not safe at all and their cities keep getting bombed. Even if you could, you should not hold an election in such an environment

Not to mention a fair number of Ukrainian citizens are in occupied territory and it's unlikely that the occupying nazis will allow them to set up polling places.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

sexy tiger boobs posted:

2.5 tons isn't all that much. Munitions are heavy as heck.

A single 155mm shell weighs in at 100lbs.

2.5 tons = 50 rounds.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

zone posted:

Crimea was like a second home to us, I'm so disappointed and unhappy, I don't ever want to leave here :qqsay:

You are in luck, you can't leave now, bridge broke!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Blistex posted:

Is RFK Jr. a republican plant to siphon votes away from a less insane democrat?

Not sure why anyone who would consider voting Democrat would vote for an obvious Q-Anon Republican just because he has a (D) next to his name?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

weg posted:

lmao

Let's try to keep the US politics chat at least in some way related to Putin's needless war against Ukraine.

To be fair this started from RFK's quote about Russian can't possibly lose this war.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Von Pluring posted:

That's insane... Hey, Hillary av-buyer, you could give the money to charity.

That would require whoever it is, to care about his fellow human beings and consider spending money on making someone else's life better.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Oof... gently caress Putin.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

appropriatemetaphor posted:

motherland monument getting its soviet symbols removed quicker than I thought. Aug 24 scheduled completion.

https://twitter.com/United24media/status/1685714355269038080?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAIyB5hjWDg

Countdown to missile strikes on the statue...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Are they supposed to be radar deflectors or what the hell

Those discs are pretty hard metal designed to last a long time cultivating fields, they would likely do a good job at stopping small arms fire, and an excellent job at turning into fiery hot shrapnel if hit by any sort of anti tank weaponry.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

LRADIKAL posted:

Almost looks like road wheels hammered flat, but your guess makes more sense.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

RDM posted:

Do you think visas are an American right wing conspiracy?

US Visas do not have a language requirement. Neither does temporary or permanent residence. The only language requirement is if the immigrant qualifies for and wants to apply for US Citizenship.

Different country, different rules though. If a country requires knowledge of the local language for long-term residency, then people who move to that country should learn the language or expect to eventually lose their legal status.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ishikabibble posted:

Most immigrants I know don't have many positive things to say about being in the US on a visa :shrug:

Hell, a friend of mine is an immigrant from the Netherlands and was advised by two different immigration lawyers that the best way for them to settle in the US with their partner is some ridiculous scheme of overstaying a travel visa and then marrying. The marriage was the plan anyways, but it is kind of absurd that's the only path forward that won't take literal years to make happen.

As a guy who has navigated the process with a foreign girlfriend, the system is incredibly broken and terrible. I have instead begun to live in her country half the time because it was incredibly easy for me to become a legal permanent resident there. Our immigration system is hosed.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Tai posted:

Yeah I love reading hot takes from people saying ''that what's going on in Ukraine this just shows NATO couldn't win a conventional war against Russia'' or bangers like ''lol NATO sucks and doesn't have as much artilery shells as Russia''. Just casually ignoring that dumb shell artillery is not the main doctrine of NATO.

Also ignoring that the US alone has given Ukraine something like 2 million 155mm shells without impacting the US readiness stance in any appreciable way according to the DoD.

The actual US stockpile is unknown because the DoD doesn't release that information (and based on their ability to pass audits, probably has absolutely no idea), but the stockpile of 155mm cluster munitions IS known - 5.5 million.

So pretty sure even with the significant number of shells given to Ukraine, the US isn't gonna run out anytime soon, and new shell production is as we all know ramping up significantly to about 85,000 shells per month next year.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

It's just a minor cosmetic blemish comrade... We only took him out of the water because he needed new bottom paint anyway.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

:hai: They also raised every working battleship except the Arizona. I don't think the Japanese considered what it would take to actually keep those ships out of the war.

We also lost the Oklahoma - it was raised but too costly to put back in service so was sent to be scrapped/salvaged and sank in deep water on the way.

Also the Utah, but I always forget that it was at that time a training ship and not considered an active BB.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

tiaz posted:

for good reason, tbc. catapult launch gets you much higher max gross weight into the air, which means fuel and armaments the others can't provide.

The aircraft has to be designed and strengthened for it also, which may be a factor in other countries not going that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

* a similar thing happened with Midway. There's a scene where a Japanese plane is attempting to ram the Enterprise, when a deck engineer jumps into the rear gunner seat of a landed Dauntless and manages to shoot the Japanese plane down. People complained about that being dumb made up poo poo, which is a gross disservice to Bruno Gaido who literally did that in real life.

Gaido and his pilot were captured by the Japanese after his plane was shot down. On 15 June 1942, Gaido and his pilot Frank O'Flaherty were weighted and thrown overboard from the Japanese destroyer Makigumo to drown after being tortured.

:(