Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

In a much cooler universe we would worship the black box that decides if you get healthcare or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Vox Nihili posted:

Emmett Shear, the incoming OpenAI CEO (to the extent the company still exists), is a big effective altruist!

apparently the effective altruists are skeptical of AI, not because it's wasteful or anything, but because they think it will go Skynet and kill everyone any day now

EA people are tsundere for AI. They love the way it can oppress the proles, but also have to pretend to be really scared of it because it will kill humanity and therefore stopping it from doing so is the most effectively altruistic thing you can do, so let me keep my money so I can (pretend to) do that.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

The fact that idiots like SBF were allowed to make nonsense arguments like "The potential future amount of people is infinite, therefore the further out a goal is and the less tangible good the actions towards that goal produces in the here and now, the more effectively altruistic it is." should immediately discredit the entire movement and anyone still talking about it should be tarred and feathered.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Sterno Stoves as a Service.

Though it's amazing how people understand how bad combusting anything indoors with no ventilation is, and indeed how few, and then turn around ready to die on the hill of gas stoves and ovens.

because electric stoves suck poo poo and induction cooktops cost $$$$$.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

I grew up with a core memory fear of debt drilled into me since I was a child. Holding a 30 year mortgage is a constant source of anxiety to me and the thought of opening a HELOC makes me want to kill myself lol.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Hmm let me just buy my insurance from the same people who built my car with shoddy half baked autopilot built in I'm sure nothing will go wrong.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

I won't believe there's a recession until I see political cartoons about how good the economy is going into the elections.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

DOW SOARS! ECONOMY HUMMING!

lol like clockwork.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Glumwheels posted:

I read an article today saying retailers are nervous about the holiday season so sales are happening earlier (which is true, they all started a week ago or more). Here’s my favorite part:

The price of items is never gonna go back to what it was before so the best thing to do is if you need something, buy it now while on sale. They can afford big sales because shits getting cheaper for companies but they won’t go back to previous pricing.

Lol this is just describing market capitalism the way it's described in econ 101 textbooks.

:qq: I have to offer filthy customers VALUE in order to get sales?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'm wondering when this is going to loving die

It's so boring and ugly gently caress

Do you prefer the Applefash look that has been the dominant corporate aesthetic for the past decade and a half? Because this is pretty clearly a response to that.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

skooma512 posted:

What is the Applefash look and is that different from Corporate Memphis style?

They're pretty much diametrically opposed. Corporate Memphis is all about wacky bright colors, asymmetry, and a postmodern aesthetic where Applefash is all about monochrome color palates with very clean lines and a sleek, efficient aesthetic.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Applefash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elkHuRROPfk

Corporate Memphis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkL9eJWQH3Q

Pick your poison.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

What if they both suck and I'm in hell

Then you post in the CSPAM doomsday econ thread.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

woke operator posted:

what makes it fascist

Because Fascists loved the modernist look and went all into it to the point that it's now very heavily associated with them.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

woke operator posted:

that sounds like aesthetic bullshit to me which is unrelated to actual politics and more related to your personal emotional responses to things you see. hellworld. i hope they're arrested

This whole conversation has been about corporate aesthetics from the start so I'm not sure why you think you ate by pointing out it's an aesthetic discussion.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i thought fascists were supposed to be all about aesthetic?

Yes, Fascists have always been obsessed with aesthetics which is why if you see someone railing against "postmodernism" you're more likely than not going to find out they have pretty harsh opinions on minorities. I don't think you can jettison the political goals of fascism from its aesthetics.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

The only mismanagement issue is that these bosses are doing this now instead of waiting for GDP growth to drop by 1% so they can downsize all their WFH employees because of "the economy" and then repost them as office jobs.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

actionjackson posted:

my boomer parents have a great pension (my mom got a rule of 90 one from her HS teaching job) and have been retired since their mid 50s, which was about 20 years ago. all they do is go on cruises, go on trips to play bridge, and play bridge while on cruises

my dad's perspective on the whole worldwide hellhole is basically, well i'm sorry that is happening, but i'm going to die soon so I won't be affected much

Your dad's cool and sold high. Sorry about your continued existence.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

How will the cops afford a Babyeater 6000 if property tax revenue goes down?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Release 3 googles into the school labeled one, two, and four.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Egg Moron posted:

I wonder how much money the head of a hypothetical high speed rail company would make per year in comparison to the money made by a highly successful masturbation facilitator

Wondering if that answers questions about our society that many have

People gotta masturbate, don't hate on the man for providing an essential service.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

You know the American Airlines crash in 2001 where a jet crashed because, when the pilot encountered mild turbulence, he slammed the rudder so far to the right the vertical stabilizer flew off and the plane disintegrated in a spin?

That seems to be how liberals respond to any crisis.

drat, turns out Mohamed Atta was just a REALLY bad pilot.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

It is being reported that the USA will begin bombing Yemen tonight.

I can't imagine a more effective way to destroy the Houthis than to have a US client state bomb them. It will surely work this time.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Xaris posted:

dominos is legit low-key the most american affordable-to-the-masses option out there right now. particularly always running constant coupons

lil caesars has simultaneously shrinkflated + skimpflated to such a degree that it's not even fit for the most cheap trash pizza even for the american masses

Dominos' giant robot pizza dough factory is genuinely pretty nifty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEnDZcX3xc8

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

fart simpson posted:

the cost to ship a container from shenzhen to los angeles literally went up 6x in price for a while in 2022, compared to 2019. lol

"So what you're saying is we need to start a war with China."

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

What if we put international shipping...on the blockchain?

There, now we can get 700 million dollars in startup investment.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Nothus posted:

Toyota is taking a page straight from Tesla's book. It's $10 a month or $99 a year to subscribe to their connectivity service. The remote services for my Mazda become a $99/year subscription after three years. I'm sure BMW and Mercedes do similar things.

I think the only thing Tesla charges a monthly fee for is the "premium connectivity" stuff that uses internet over cell phone towers. This is objectively more evil.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

loquacius posted:

the whole thing about how the only acceptable way to improve material conditions for the poor is having them "learn 2 code" is also in service of this goal btw, gotta break the tech labor market if you want to pay the workers less

"Learn 2 Code" is some 2010s poo poo. Now we're scolding laid off tech workers for not going to trade school.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Have you all considered that teaching is the profession for those who can't do stuff? :smug:

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

lol at melting down because the computer touchers bullied you out of code boot camp or whatever.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Oh boy another 5 page derail about who's working class and who's PMC. Can't wait.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Have you guys considered working in healthcare :negcycle:

Good money to be made as a strike nurse if you don't mind getting dragged online.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Nybble posted:

My mom is a school nurse and said they had an incident where a toilet broke in the middle school. They took it apart and found a pot vape pen. Not great!

Oh cool the SA userbase is old enough that we get to start panicking about the youngins smoking the devil's lettuce.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

idk I think the person sticking a needle into the spine of people writhing with labor pains is probably skilled labor

Also, their wages are highest in part to offset the fact that their insurance costs are highest, because it's incredibly easy to kill someone by loving up anesthesia.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Mcdonald's near me still has 2 cheeseburgers for $3 and it's the only thing on the menu even close to a value proposition anymore.

I was ready to firebomb the building when they took away my $1 sodas.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

If you can't deal with a boss that gives you anxiety attacks I don't think you're cut out for the PMC lifestyle.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

The end of history elections were incredibly boring, yes. I don't think I could name a single top line issue from the '96 election. Probably something about earned income tax credits.

9/11 really injected some oomph back into politics.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

It looks like Nvidia is load-bearing and bringing down the rest of Number today

Tomorrow though Nvidia is going to report earnings of $infinity and the share price will go to the moon

Traditional wisdom in the stock market is to sell on news, good or bad.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Strep Vote posted:

vintage doomsday economics, but self-publishing has been a dreary hellscape since about 2014. toward the end of my days in the industry i got advice to pay someone $2000 to ghostwrite a novel and then flip it for $80k on amazon prime, to fake being black and retool my novels to be about interracial romance, and to learn about firearms because the survivalist race war market was really slept on. so you know, instead of being oppressed and exploited just do the oppressing and exploiting yourself and get that bread

i haven't read a good novel in years

The "get someone to write a book for you" grift is a long standing one. Folding ideas did a whole thing about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biYciU1uiUw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

new magic wand caters to some interesting folks

This is identical to the menu I present to all my potential sexual partners.

I'm a virgin.