Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've talked about this in several other threads, but I'm unemployed because a big company bought my company and laid everyone off. This was four months ago and I'm still unemployed despite having ten years of experience in my field because the market is flooded and half of all job listings are fake.

I got an email claiming that I have equity in the big company, and it's about to expire, but to access it I have to log into this website I don't have login information for. To reset my password (which I never set) I have to give it my account number, which I was never given. To retrieve my account number, I have to give it my employee number, which I don't have because I was laid off before ever actually working for the big company. The system was built to fail, and it was built to fail in ways they can tell people are their own fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It sucks serious poo poo, which is why I legitimately get angry every time I hear the news wax rhapsodic about the "wonderful" economy.

:same:

I feel like I'm being gaslit

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My dudes I have gotten form-letter rejections for so many job listings I am quite clearly qualified for on paper, sometimes after I talk to a recruiter and they're all smiles on the phone, sometimes without even the phone call. Some of the jobs are fake, and the rest have already gone to one of the 5 million other people who have applied to them, and you will never know which is which, the system is perfect

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

no lube so what posted:

when I went through similar, it was so demoralizing. I hope you haven't let it get to you to much

I'm experienced enough at this point to know it doesn't have anything to do with my own competence or innate worth. I'm finding it tough to act enthusiastic on the calls I get because I don't really have much hope for any individual process but I at least am not having a crisis of confidence or anything over it, I just hate capitalism

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

they absolutely did this for me recently, they were pretty thorough. I think I would have regretted fudging anything about dates. unfortunately I got the better part of a year unemployed that's gonna be there forever lol. it's a lovely Bidenomics prize that will follow me forever.

My second kid was born during this unemployment period and I can use him as a convenient excuse

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

euphronius posted:

the state should be paying stay at home parents like 80k a year .

there should be universal daycare, free at POS, and there should be a sizeable stipend per kid aged 0-4 for not using the universal daycare, both to lighten the load on the system and because home childcare is work and should be compensated as such

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Taima posted:

I’m often baffled by how many parents are also regular posters/lurkers in the doomsday/ biosphere collapse threads. The way people can compartmentalize the elements of their lives is kind of amazing.

I'm not exactly a regular ITT but for what it's worth I'm mostly here because I've been unemployed for four months and it's a huge source of stress which I find extremely relevant to parenthood because I would like to continue giving my kids a roof to live under

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I mean, what's the difference in service? Are you less Jewish if you send your kids to the low level Jewish daycare?

All of this is fascinating

There are plenty of Christian daycares/preschools too, all it typically means is that a local church or synagogue opened or sponsored a daycare on its grounds. We're Jewish and our daughter actually went to a 2's preschool located in a church (no Jesus in the lesson plans but they did a lot of Christmas-oriented arts and crafts around December and bunnies kept showing up around April). Sometimes they're the best option.

We did consider a couple Jewish ones but my wife liked this one's educational philosophy the best :shrug:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Question for the thread: I've been having a rough time dealing with all the political messaging around the economy being unstoppable right now, due to my personal experience of being unemployed for months and having the hardest job search of my career because the market is flooded with tens of thousands of people who got very publicly laid off this year. Like, it's very obviously not true that unemployment is at its lowest value in decades, because if it was, I wouldn't be struggling to get a job with ten years of experience in my field, and being told by recruiters that it's because there are so many strong applicants in a very competitive market, and seeing nothing but similar stories from other people.

So where the gently caress is this unemployment figure coming from? What book is being cooked here? Something's fishy and I don't have enough education to define it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

There are still waves of layoffs happening, it's all public, anyone can see if they look it up, how are the bootlickers getting these rosy figures

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Thanks guys. This all helps a lot :tipshat:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Techies have no union tradition and are regularly told they don't need unions and are privileged for considering it; tech jobs are only good because demand for tech workers exceeds supply. That's starting to change now (see: my life). I suspect all of the stuff about trying to make everybody learn 2 code is to help drive the great effort to make tech workers more affordable to employers.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The current Italian PM is a fascist iirc so I'm not too surprised

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Votskomit posted:

I'm seeing more tech people talk about unions, at a theoretical level at least. However for many of them it's more like "hey tech should probably unionize?"… instead of "hey would you like to build this union with me?"

None of us have the social skills to be union leaders

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

HallelujahLee posted:

the unemployment numbers they regularly put out dont include entire swathes of people, they do this deliberately to pretend unemployment isnt actually much higher

for reference i believe last year they dropped around 10 million or so people off the rolls and just stopped counting them as unemployed

Can someone get a source on this? I'm not doubting it, i just wanna see the details. What are the rolls? I thought it just counted people who are currently receiving unemployment (which you need to not have a part-time or gig job and also be actively searching for a new job to qualify for). Did they just like kick people off unemployment and if so why? Was it the expiration of a COVID benefit?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

triple sulk posted:

in tech, generally 3-5 years. 5-7 is senior, anything over that is staff/director and so on

I'm at a point where I'm going for senior roles, but they're super competitive, and I can't even settle for mid-level ones because the assumption there is that I'm just gonna leave for more money in a year. I don't even get callbacks for mid-level most of the time

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Troutful posted:

What's your field?

Full-stack web dev. Last stack was rails/react but I'm open to different ones. So, apparently, is everyone else on the planet

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

triple sulk posted:

i hate getting super e/n and all but man it loving sucks. it feels great when you get a slew of interviews coming in since it says that at least some people have an initial interest in who you are, but then they go nowhere and you feel like garbage once again

this.gif

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I talked about this in the peace thread: don't do take-home coding exercises. A standard tech interview takes one hour of your time and one hour of company time. Fair and square, and they pretty much have to give you a fair shake to justify the time expense. A code test takes at least five hours of your time (more likely eight, even/especially if they say it'll take two) and ten minutes of company time to review it. They toss out way more code tests than they intend to seriously consider and can then reject 95% of them unilaterally without discussion for any reason they want, and they don't even have to tell you why. Even if the exercise is well-designed and theoretically possible to complete in a reasonable timeframe (not a given) they can and probably will reject it out of hand because of some completely subjective design preference which in a real work environment would get ironed out in ten minutes of code review. They are a waste of your time and that's why they're getting more commonplace.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

All-day gauntlets of five interviews in a row are also industry standard and they're grueling but take even more company resources to organize so they're pretty good odds as well if you can get them. That said, if you talk to five people in a day and just one of them doesn't like you for whatever reason, that's all she wrote. You have to be on 100%, perfect record, 5-for-5, all day, no matter if you have a three-month-old baby at home or not

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

TECH INTERVIEW SUCCESS: you can write code which does what the interviewer asks for within the time limit

TAKE-HOME TEST SUCCESS: you read the reviewer's mind without ever meeting them and wrote the exact same code down to the keystroke that they would write given five times as much time as you had

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Maed posted:

sent you a pm

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it! :tipshat: Kids are waking up so I gotta put my phone down but I'll check these out when I get a chance

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/GaryWinslett/status/1689770681691455488?t=ENgy9cXQ2oQDhd1qcxYNww&s=19

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

nomad2020 posted:

98.7% certain the quoted wage includes the assumed very generous tips.

It's also "up to" and the tweeter is making a lot of assumptions about that and about the hours you can get at little Caesars

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

How bad must things have gotten for Noah Smith to have a good take

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

anime was right posted:

median wealth going up means nothing if prices went up even more but, because one number went up, we can safely ignore the other, worse number.

Also the other number stopped going up as fast as six months ago if you selectively ignore all these important price categories so really it's almost like there's no problems at all

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I was talking to these cool guys on the beach and tried to use my Twitter arguments on them and for some reason it wasn't working??? I'm assuming it's because the media brainwashed them bc otherwise I don't know it makes no sense

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

In another thread like a month ago multiple people got mad at me for selling a 2009 model car, because the engine was still good

I'm not saying we should be like my mom in the 90s and keep switching to new cars because station wagons or minivans had gone out of style, but a 14-year lifespan seems reasonable

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

it's also not like selling that car relegated it to the scrap yard right? someone else is driving that car now.

The dealership was talking like it was scrap but that was probably a tactic

There were a billion things wrong with it that weren't the engine (the alternator had been replaced twice in the last year and kept loving up anyway, the A/C was broken and the local shop had quoted me like $350 at least to fix it, the trunk wouldn't close right unless you pushed really hard on the handle while closing it, there were multiple dents, the speaker system was crackly, the brake pads were EOL) but as is the nature of the Internet I was informed I should have just fixed all that myself

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

euphronius posted:

what kind of car was it

Honda Fit

Honda nationalism is real which was part of the issue, but it was too small for our current needs (my wife thought it was too claustrophobic to put two carseats in). I replaced it with an HRV though (miraculously a used 2020 one fresh from somebody's 3-year lease came up at a decent price and we pounced)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Love means testing

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

bonelessdongs posted:

Harbor freight vacuum pump + manifold gauges + can tap + box of green O rings and two cans of R152 air duster are about as much as a single AC fill at a shop, and once you have those you can fix friends' cars and even refrigerators and air conditioners with some adapters. Trunk latches are usually a lubrication or alignment issue that I usually fix with lightly used motor oil or a 12mm socket, and speakers/brakes are cheap.

Buying a new car is a sin unless your current one is more rust than chassis and you should have given me the money you spent, I rate your post bourgeois/10

Nobody knows how to do car repair themselves, good for you if you can but it's nonsensical to expect any given person to apropos of nothing, touch grass

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

hey matt

who's buying the resold soap

what are they gonna do with it matt

are they gonna sell it too

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Beached Whale posted:

Anyone else on SA in a tight spot just go work at target, hope that helps

this part also sucks and needed its own post. real "let them eat cake" energy

freaks like matty would fuckin love if everyone went to work at target because who cares if they still can't make rent and have no healthcare, that employment number would go way the hell down and then matty's outlook would be pretty fuckin sweet!!!!!!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Don Pigeon posted:

Also just because job postings exist doesn't mean that the jobs exist. A lot of companies are using job postings as a way to gather data on potential applicants and how desperate they are, and never intend on hiring someone unless they are the fabled unicorn candidate that is an expert in everything but is asking for little money in return.

I was unemployed for six months this year and I can't tell you how many job openings I was qualified for five years ago I applied for and got form rejection emails informing me I wasn't qualified

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

maybe if Matt Yglesias is tired of people not accepting his arguments in favor of the booming economy he should just take one of the many jobs available Target and other retailers
they would pay him money

why don't you do it, matt, they pay money, go work that job

they pay money! american currency!!! what else do you want matty

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Matt Yglesias presents: Wokely Correct Comics

https://twitter.com/WokelyCorrect/status/1692532858739687900

https://twitter.com/WokelyCorrect/status/1707017676386893899

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I just have kids, that way I don't have to lie about anything

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I mean there's no such things as a direct mind machine interface so I'm expecting this digital afterlife is more like "we feed all of your dead relative's lovely posts and emails into an LLM and it can now faithfully regurgitate racist shitposts like Uncle Bob. This service is then provided for a nominal fee."

also, the TIE fighter laser sound doesn't make any sense, there's no medium for sound to move through in space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

euphronius posted:

probably easier to say houses have doubled in price in 3 years

I dunno if that's necessarily all it's saying though

interest rates are at record highs, which is theoretically supposed to be a price control, but isn't, because the main problem is investors buying up all the inventory in cash. Therefore even if prices haven't literally doubled, the amount of house that the same income could support before has been cut in half