Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

6%, down slightly from January, stocks rip upwards because it moved slightly in the correct direction.

Theyre gonna revise prior months upward so they can say it went down this month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

they made a peeps Pepsi this year ... they didn't call it "Peepsi"

That sounds incredibly disgusting

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

we need a bailout too, it's no fair that they got one and we didn't

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

when i was in school i made a peanut butter sandwich in the morning and ate it for lunch every single day for years and years

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

When I was working in safety, they were always developing new metrics so that what would be a Cat A accident or a very serious mishap did not get reported as such. A mortar bomb literally smoking with the primer struck? Not a misfire and UXO because blah blah blah. A soldier was accidentally issued and fired live ammunition instead of blanks? Because the BFA was destroyed in the process it was simply reported as damage to a rifle and not a major incident. Have EOD come blow a dud mortar bomb in place? Nope. Return it to the ammo dump and report it as faulty.

Of course every annual report said “Good news! Safety is great and continues to be great!” because of this reporting, but the fake feel good numbers were more important.

I imagine this is the same but even more abstract.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodhart%27s_law

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Crazypoops posted:

What's a good doomsday economics podcast

programmed to chill

(unironically)

specifically the first few episodes and the "who financed hitler" series

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 01:20 on Mar 15, 2023

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Nocturtle posted:

Matt Levine's most recent Money Stuff newsletter is frustrating. They essentially blame bank regulators for causing the SVB bankrun through inadequate supervision. They also note that since all US bank deposits are now effectively guaranteed by the Federal govt there is an incentive for bank executives to take even more bad risks. However they again conclude that the govt simply needs to regulate banks more effectively. There's no acknowledgement that govt regulatory oversight was systematically undermined by the industry's own lobbying efforts, or that there's no realistic prospect to effectively regulate the financial industry in the current political system. Presumably a former banker writing for Bloomberg isn't likely to be making those points but they're obvious omissions.

They do have a point that apparently the current US banking system effectively requires all deposits to be insured. Apparently rich people will threaten to knock over the financial system if they risk losing their uninsured deposits and will inevitably be made whole, so might as well treat all deposits as insured going forward. No idea if that's tenable though.

the regulators need to Regulate Harder is the business world version of the democrats' solution to all political problems being that voters need to Vote Harder.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

What happens if jim cramer tells people to buy the inverse cramer etf

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

gently caress it, bail out the crime bank

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Nothus posted:

Credit QCS

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Floor is lava posted:

the hvac froze and then leaked in to the living room loving up the drywall in the ceiling

was quoted $7k+ to replace the whole system

the previous owner didn't mention the foundation problems that i had to have fixed and now i need to adjust doors and windows and re-mud finishings

at least my doors shut now

BEING A HOME OWNER IS GREAT

one time cost of 7k for a whole new hvac huh? gee that's almost what i pay in 3 months in perpetuity in exchange for jack poo poo

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

what even makes it luxury

if you can buy it in bulk from home depot that feels disqualifying

is it because it's that weird grey color

luxury doesn't mean anything about the quality of the apartment, it just means that they are positioning the price at the top of the market

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Nothus posted:

"Luxury" is code for "we don't take section 8". It's a class signifier.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tell everyone that the new rate was written down and hidden somewhere and everyone has to decode this riddle to find the location where it was buried

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think any war with china now will be a not-war war where "rebels" with private citizen "advisors" are in armed conflict with china, similar to the current war against russia. actual declared war would be bad for "stability"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

That says they are giving up on inflation and hoping it starts going down before they rate cute.

It looks like they raised their guess of what they'd have the fed funds rate in 2024 by 0.2% though? (2000 basis points)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think the idea going forward is that rates still go up for everything but now banks get to refinance all their bonds at the higher rates

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Interesting way to write Chinese economy dies as it no longer trades finished goods for raw materials, food, and medicine. Please recall Russia is currently being fought off with essentially spares. Russian stability has been based on a carefully structured prison house of nations being run by the biggest gang. China has based it on economic prosperity. Crashing Russias raw materials export market was never going to stop them, because someone will always take the deal. But China is much more vulnerable. Military needs just can't take up the slack, or provide the food in short order. Their poor agricultural disease control makes this extra fragile.

Additionally they don't have uncontested control of the SCS like the US has uncontested control of the East Pacific and Atlantic seaboard. The US can rebuild it's conventional navy far out of reach, while China can't prevent attacks from being staged from the whole region, a region it has not made an effort to be a good neighbor in.

The US can commit enough navel and air power to permanently eliminate Chinas navy, take 100% losses, and move enough assets from current active duty to do it twice more. In a more realistic scenario, it's enough to keep the Chinese navy bottled in port and fight it as an air war where both sides lob missiles at each other's planes from standoff range until we figure out how to resolve a nuclear power conflict with no nukes.

china has aircraft carrier killer missiles

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Woke Mind Virus posted:

if you put this all into a spreadsheet does this just undo all of the previous hikes lol

essentially yes but for banks only. people and productive businesses still get hosed. which makes sense since those are the only parts of the economy that were supposed to go into recession

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The point of this whole exercise was to kneecap the productive economy so that unproductive rent-extracting capital could come in and steal as much as they needed to get their future projected rent income back to where they wanted it. that some banks accidentally got caught in the crossfire was a freak accident

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 19:49 on Mar 22, 2023

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

In Training posted:

I wonder if there are there any US industrial capitalists around with any sway left who will get pissed about this.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1637971685751025666?s=20

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1638614961038712833?s=20

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

can i buy some of those defaulted credit suisse bonds, i want to get in on a lawsuit against the nazi gold country

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

skooma512 posted:

And you hardly see any media about it outside of Korea itself. IIRC the last major movie production about the Korean war was in the 70s, funded by a religious cult from Korea. You go from WW2 where were the awesome winners, and Vietnam where they kind of have to cover it to get ahead of any inconvenient narratives, but Korea is a failed war that they can safely just tuck away.

didnt china make at least one saving private ryan-scale movie about it

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

FlapYoJacks posted:

gently caress this dumb court system and gently caress California.

On the LA court website:
- She owes us nothing.
- We owe her $300

She flagrantly violates the law, retaliates repeatedly against us, fucks us out of our goddamn security deposit, and the judge is like "lol you owe her money."

What the gently caress. All landlords can go to hell. I am confused by the contested judgement.

that sucks rear end

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Can you ask your lawyer what's up? didnt he say he was confident you'd win?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

euphronius posted:

judges are crazy and do whatever they want

It's a good thing we made a bunch of unaccountable judges the country's supreme ruling body

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Golden was arrested on Monday, March 13, 2023, at his mother's house in Monmouth Junction. Police bodycam footage of his arrest was later uploaded on the Law&Crime Network YouTube channel. He will be extradited to Volusia County, Florida, where Chitwood says he awaits his arrival.

incredible

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i forgot to quote the part where he was 38

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Seems like every tech company that made money decided to form global headquarters in all of the best places for the executives to fly to pointless meetings

i think at least some of "xxx company has offices in 30 cities" means that they acquired a company with a few dozen to a few hundred employees and they changed the sign out front

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 04:08 on Mar 23, 2023

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

A former recruiter for Meta said she was paid a $190,000 salary to do “nothing” at the social media giant — where CEO Mark Zuckerberg in recent weeks has revealed plans to slash 21,000 jobs.

Career strategist Madelyn Machado posted a video on TikTok on Friday titled “Getting paid $190k to do nothing at Meta” — recalling a six-month stint at the owner of Facebook and Instagram that ended last spring.

Machado said in her TikTok video that upon her arrival at the company in September 2021, she was told by her bosses not to hire anyone.

“We weren’t expected to hire anybody for the first six months, even the first year,” she said. “This is something they tell you when you start.”

“That really blew my mind,” she added. “Like ‘Perfect, I’m just going to ride this out for a year,’ obviously I didn’t make that.”

facebook pays recruiters $190,000???

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it's always great how the federalist papers, which in high school history class were mentioned in reverential tones like they were the loving pauline epistles but what they actually are is just james madison talking about how the constitution is awesome because every part of it is rigged so that the public can never actually control the government but we can still pretend it's democratic

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

euphronius posted:

yellen hasn’t seemed very impressive idk

joe decided to let jpow decide all economic policy because he didn't want to have to make any decisions so she really doesn't have much to do

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

kazmeyer posted:

So, for those who aren't familiar: a bunch of hedge funds figured out they can naked short weak companies to death, and if they're successful, it's pure profit since they never have to cover their positions. They targeted GameStop and a bunch of just the most deranged psychopaths on Reddit started buying up huge swaths of the stock to take it out of the float and try to force a short squeeze. The hedge funds manipulated their way out of it but then doubled down on the naked shorting, so right now there's supposedly millions upon millions of completely synthetic shares floating around and the Reddit lunatics keep buying more and pulling it out of trading. It's a humongous game of chicken-- if GameStop goes bankrupt all the Redditors lose their shirts, whereas if they can force the issue long enough for the hedge funds to have to close their shorts, the stock price should go insane. GS posted an unexpectedly good quarterly result the other day, which drove the price up and is making everyone on both sides freak out. The poo poo with Credit Suisse and UBS and all that apparently involves some of these GameStop short bags being passed around like a really explosive hot potato, and every time somebody new gets on the hook and takes one look at the balance sheet they immediately try to bail.

So it's looking like maybe another disaster a la the Big Short is coming, and that's pretty reasonable. But then you get into the batshit stuff, where the Redditors have decided since, technically, naked shorting can leave you on the hook for exponential rises in the stock price, they're going to lock down all the legit shares, force the squeeze, and hold on until GameStop's shares are worth millions of dollars apiece, at which point capitalism will throw its hat to the ground and stamp on it and we'll all be using GameStop-branded NFTs for money. Any time anybody involved tweets anything it gets broken down and overanalyzed on a level that would make Qanon folks blush.

It's /r/superstonk where the high-test crazy is right now.

didn't the hedge funds solve this problem by having robinhood steal all their customers' gamestop stocks and sell them

e: yeah like someone else said

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i've heard "managed decline" often used to describe the us elites' own policy of deliberately deindustrializing and hollowing out the country.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Why is everyone walking out to say everything's fine all at the same time?

https://twitter.com/financialjuice/status/1639244041832509441

reported for economic disinformation

lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

HallelujahLee posted:

it would be a tiny bit convincing if these morons didnt coordinate their strong and stable comments at the same time doing this all at the same time just signals problems

insisting nonstop that contrary to what your lying eyes tell you there is no problem and everyone needs to calm down worked perfectly for covid so we should see how it works for Number

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

stopping facebook from taking over the country and spreading antivax bullshit and/or inciting an ethnic cleansing while snuffing out all domestic competitors is exactly what westerners mean by totalitarian anti-freedom censorship that the evil CCP does to brainwash their citizens and desperately cling onto power though

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i assume zerohedge is operating like a lot of other outlets and just stealing everything from social media

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

He wrote a book about how there should be a billion people in America

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

spacemang_spliff posted:

Mr. Modell is using his retirement to pursue his long-held dream of being a landlord to low-income tenants. About seven years ago, a year after he retired, he withdrew about $600,000 from his portfolio and bought five houses in lower-income areas of New Jersey. The Section 8 rentals generate about $80,000 a year after taxes in income.

Are you serious