Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

So did that guy who bought sbv stock make the right call

Yeah everyone knows that the best time to buy stock in a company is when you're panick-withdrawing all your money out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Why can't they can't meet up in the Metaverse office instead?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

A few years ago I temped at a job with an open-office plan & if the assignment hadn't ended in a month my sanity certainly would have.

I don't understand how employers can think that it's productive to listen to officemates nattering on all day.

It's like in Snow Crash, the insanity is the point, to keep workers from being able to function outside the office.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

coelomate posted:

I agree. I think 0.25% is the base case, and I keep hoping Jerome goes hard and does 0.5% anyway just because him doing something surprising would be funny.

This one debatably not all that surprising even, given his comments at Congress just before banks started failing.

Do not, my friends, grow addicted to low interest rates. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

nomad2020 posted:

Look, the tech bro banks had a contagion and were giving other banks the runs. How is this hard to understand?

Need to make the banks wear masks

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mad Wack posted:

its probably just normal traffic and this person is writing a fanfic in their head

Warren Buffet stood in front of the assembled bankers. Behind him was a large wall, upon which screens were displaying the ominous red of an unhappy number. "Brothers, we are facing a crisis our industry has not seen since the days of the hated Rooseveldt. We must stand together and act as one to save our industry. I am willing to help, to stand alongside you. But first, you must do something for me..." he said as he unbuckled his belt.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Someone with evil in their heart can't harvest ginseng.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Soon:

I went to the store with my infinite money but all the shelves were bare. What gives?

That's a bug, try reloading a save from when Bitcoin is below 99,999

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah I've said the same thing in the US where the food inflation is being tracked as lower. Oh yeah bread is 50% more expensive and rice and the meats are like 20-30% more, keep tracking inflation at like 10% or something.

True, but the imputed rent value of my home hasn't gone up at all, at least that's something.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

i say swears online posted:

absolutely no way that makes financial sense, especially the cost of therapy for using i35 every day for fifty miles

I knew a guy who did that too

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

- Wanna buy fresh vegetables? Tough poo poo, go grow them in your back yard

At least that won't be an issue, nobody eats vegetables any more

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Al! posted:

is this lloyd center

Sorry, no affordable housing, only high-priced condos or luxury apartments.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

lovely quick yeasted homemade bread thats better than store bread is still good and like 5x cheaper (and gently caress all effort)

amazing homemade sourdough bread is hard, but fun

My wife has been making homemade sourdough bread, it is absolutely no effort for me, lol and absolutely delicious, A+, would recommend.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Animal-Mother posted:

literally laughable

Technically true tho, it's because we're not going to solve the current one.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nix Panicus posted:

My wife came home last night with a tube of sausage from the grocery store by the train station and demanded I make biscuits and sausage gravy from scratch for dinner. It was pretty good. This is my biscuit story.

Post the biscuit recipe, coward

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

spacemang_spliff posted:

Mr. Modell is using his retirement to pursue his long-held dream of being a landlord to low-income tenants. About seven years ago, a year after he retired, he withdrew about $600,000 from his portfolio and bought five houses in lower-income areas of New Jersey. The Section 8 rentals generate about $80,000 a year after taxes in income.

Well landlords don't really pay much in taxes anyway

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

FlapYoJacks posted:

Sorry for the delay. Our lawyer has been in court all day for the last two days. He said he should get back to us by EOD today or early Monday. :|

I hope his bender goes OK, you should send him a handle of whiskey to help him out.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

Who could've ever predicted that criminalizing protest would be used against the left as well as against the right?

Other way around, it's always been criminalized for the left

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

the internet was a commons, and then they enclosed it

Sheep NFTs are the future

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

shrike82 posted:

home ownership has its issues but godspeed to renters these days
i haven't had to deal with a landlord in a decade

Home ownership is terrible, the guy who owns the house is a lazy POS who never fixes anything and springs for the cheapest option whenever it's unavoidable. That being said, it's still better than renting.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

considering how 2008 led to widespread cases of judges kicking people out of houses on behalf of banks so quickly that some people who never missed a payment or didn't even owe a given bank any money got kicked out of their home too, i'm gonna go ahead and guess that as renter scum your odds of finding a judge that won't relish loving you over are pretty slim

At least one of the drivers behind that scheme was punished by being made secretary of the treasury

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yeah but couldn't a rival landlord just roll in and start slaughtering peasants as an act of war? Wasn't that the whole dynamic of warfare at the time was to kill "enemy" peasants to ruin their economy?

Yes but it was considered rude

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

nigel thornberry posted:

is the lawyer free? if not, that should be factored into the appeal analysis. no clue how good/reputable the lawyer is, but they could be in it for fees. but if the lawyer fees are taken care of somehow, there’s no real downside to an appeal.

could you just stiff her on the 300? I mean it’ll probably cost her more than $300 just to go through the trouble of collect on it, but not sure if you’re concerned about about your credit rating taking a hit or not.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

PoundSand posted:

Without posting my zipcode I can say my city gets a ton of tech transplants from the PNW area for the exact reason of lower CoL WFH lifestyle, it's contributed to skyrocketing housing prices and literally every development is just small neighborhoods of 750k-1.5m to accomodate the transplants but it's no surprise they'd want to live here because it's basically no different from living in a burb in the greater seattle area except the col is a small fraction. You have all the typical dog whistles about safety/schools/etc alongside the average amenities most people would use on a regular basis and If you really want something more cultured we're a roadtrip away from major areas, hell I've been to seattle and back within the same day and it's not unreasonable. There's certainly middlegrounds between meth havens and a full blown metro area and that's where a lot of these people are moving.

"A lot" may vary as a term but 1k transplants to a city like mine is a p notable swing even if 1k people leaving a metro area is a drop in the hat for them.

Ugh, but you have to live in East Wenatchee

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Wanda Wanda posted:

Truth on both counts. Abq has a yearly Day of the Dead parade in the south valley where they drive their lowriders around piloted by giant lovely puppets

Also they have a pretty cool zoo. Komodo dragon even.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

namesake posted:

Rich people don't hold cash, they already diversify into stocks and property and things.

Its businesses which need to be buying and selling things all the time or who have gotten mega profits but would be liable for some sort of taxation if they did anything with the cash which are holding vast deposits.

Banks are where poor people keep their money that isn't properly invested

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

Former President Bill Clinton has made the most of any modern president on the speaking circuit. He gives dozens of speeches a year and each brings in between $250,000 and $500,000 per engagement, according to published reports. He also earned $750,000 for a single speech in Hong Kong in 2011.

In the decade or so after Clinton left office, from 2001 through 2012, he made at least $104 million in speaking fees, according to an analysis by The Washington Post.

Clinton makes no bones about why he charges so much.

“I gotta pay our bills,” he told NBC News.

Dang, how many mistresses does he need to pay hush money to?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

silentsnack posted:

yea but if you're pulling copper out of the walls to pay the police to protect you from rioters, eventually you run out of wires and the pigs eat you

OK, but we really need to make our sales goals for this quarter, so don't worry about next quarter.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

skooma512 posted:

lol there is no way the US can fight Mexico in a war, there would be uprisings anywhere there's a Latino population. Chuds would also go full brownshirt and people are going to have to fight them and this will spiral into an insurgency.

Last two times we invaded Mexico it went fine, I'm sure number three will go swimmingly.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mycomancy posted:

Let's translate that tweet:
"I think it's kind of rich for folks who have never stolen value from labor in their life to grill someone who's stolen millions of dollars worth of labor from Americans and people around the world."

I mean if there's one Senator who knows about stealing the value of labor all their life, it's Mitt Romney

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

being a substitute teacher was by far the hardest thing I've ever tried to do so being an actual teacher just seems nuts

I think being a substitute teacher is harder because the kids instinctively know your position is weaker so they will attempt to swarm you and skeletonize you like a school of piranhas.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

idk.

the popular law school text book on this one seemingly limited topic (federal jurisdiction) is literally over 1000 pages

They just keep adding crap to the textbooks so students can't re-use them.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nichael posted:

This will tell you everything you need to know about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjvjgPU5mz4

quote:

CCTV is funded in whole or in part by the Chinese government.

reported for posting chinese propoganda

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Lpzie posted:

soon, the dollar will be company scrip like our measurement system. well be completely isolated and all the captains of industry will flee to the Moon

Snow Crash when

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Chicken Butt

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Blackhawk posted:

NASA about 0.5%
Foreign aid about 0.7% (most of which is probably spent within the USA)
Military about 15% lol

That's only if you include non-discretionary spending which, at least for social security & Medicare, you probably shouldn't since it's basically a nationalized pension scheme. Military is a little less than half of the discretionary spending.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

The_Franz posted:

And they see thousands, if not tens of thousands, of nearly identical applications from hyper-overachiever kids who check all those boxes and are rejected anyways, because there is a finite amount of space. Being a perfect student with more extracurriculars than there are hours in the day doesn't make you stand out when that's the minimum for every application they get.

Apparently, even being a legacy with buildings named after your family isn't good enough anymore, as they could basically fill up their rolls just from that pool, and they still have to let in some high-achieving lower-class people to maintain the illusion of the meritocracy.

Yeah the problem is that there's maybe 10,000 spots per year at the ivies and probably 2,000,000 qualified kids per year so they have to look at the applications and figure out which kids are wealthiest without directly looking at parental income since the stupid Feds made it so the admissions people couldn't just take bribes directly. So seeing who's able to drop $750,000 on some well-connected grifter is a good way to detect that.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

anime was right posted:

go crash a bank we kinda need it

I just pulled all my money out of the bank and buried it in the yard, what are you doing to help crash the banks?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Rahm Emanuel's brother wrote about how everyone over 75 should just shuffle off this mortal coil and we keep seeing government policy that's determined to make it happen

They read Asimov and thought Earth was the good guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Woke Mind Virus posted:

the cops are harassed a lot more than investment bankers in this very forum so I like to think class solidarity starts with them. they also work 90 hours a week.

Yeah I remember reading about some of them working 25 hours a day, poor things.