Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Morbus
May 18, 2004

PoundSand posted:

Remote work caused the bank to have an upside down portfolio that was insolvent?

nobody wants to deposit anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Somehow, Ea-Nasir has returned.

he can't keep getting away with it

Morbus
May 18, 2004

"money isn't real", i assure myself as i close my eyes and ram the 21st century with my lovely empire

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't understand it ideologically, because what they're doing is destabilizing to the system itself. They're weakening the ability of capitalism to sustain itself with each one of these decisions, where you'd think the institutional prerogative would be to do everything to preserve it.

capitalism: famously concerned with long term stability and sustainability

Morbus
May 18, 2004

coelomate posted:

Yeah, I think so. It's possible people's 5-10x leveraged housing bets that boomed in a speculative bubble contributed more to their "excess savings" than a $1,400 check hmmm

nope, people used extended SNAP benefits to sell corn on the side of the road and now they are all rich, next.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

PawParole posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/villi/status/1638047162440507395

how do you raise 50 million dollars ( and raise money three times before that) without having an idea of what you are even selling? Silicon Valley is full of idiots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDQcgkDn0yU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

Doesn't their own ideology also say that rich people lose money, sometimes, and that's okay?

It's just baffling to me.

I mostly post about this in the Ukraine and WW3 threads, but I've seen this in hundreds of emails over the past year as everybody wants more cannon and ammunition, only to realize they gave a monopoly to BAE, which massively cut the workforce and production facilities in favour of stock buybacks. They can't conduct the most basic function of a state, waging war, because they privatized the capability. The private arms industry, logically I suppose, sees profit maximization and share price as more important than the manufacture of arms.

I mean, if you think about it, based on the laws of supply and demand, given the resources required as inputs, tooling, time, workforce, manufacturing artillery pieces would be unprofitable, which is of course why it was done by the state from the 1500s on. Given that the businesses aren't directly controlled or otherwise supervised by the state, and as they're not under state ownership they must please stockholders. How they do that also has a tinge of the inevitable, they direct their energy to more profitable things, and maximize the profit by raising the cost of guns, which of course impedes the state's ability to arm itself.

Most of these state arms industries were privatized at a loss too. Clearly, whoever made these decisions, I'm thinking of Thatcher in particular, had some deluded ideological rationale, industry thought they could extract rent from it, it was a profitable transfer of public goods into private hands. The problem seems to be that nobody actually thought about fighting a war with it, and so, now they're hosed and will continue to be hosed, because the more money they throw at the arms industry this year, the more goes to pretty much everything but (unprofitably) producing arms. I guess their only solution is throwing money at them, because they won't intervene, directly supervise or whatever, so... lots of public money spent more or less on stock buybacks, no capacity actually increased.

I would only slightly be exaggerating by saying it was more efficient when the king demanded bell foundries cast X cannon a year and the work was all done in pre-industrial workshops. To crib from Voltaire, these days the MIC is neither military nor industrial.

Which really raises some questions about those cyberpunk dystopias where mega corporations fight wars.

the modern capitalist state is not an intelligently managed system, it is a gradient descent algorithm hth

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Antonymous posted:

my great grandma died cause she had a stroke and blood clots at the same time. Either the blood must be clotted to stop the stroke or thinned to break the clot. USA will die the same way. Rip old grandma, death to america

nah we will just print a new grandma

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

landlord dies in eviction involved beating

the landlord, who later died, was a suspect in an eviction-involved beating earlier this afternoon.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

we are raising rates by i, the square root of -1

by rotating number into the imaginary plane, entire new possibilities for growth are unlocked

Morbus
May 18, 2004

i say swears online posted:

children of men but it's the one woman who can afford to have a baby

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Popoto posted:

what's everyone's bets?

mine: thinking 0.

IE: no changes at all. They can't afford to raise them anymore ("We must save the banks!") and they can't afford to lower them ("We have to drain money to prevent inflation!"). They feel like they are against the wall until poo poo breaks (even more).

Just keep raising rates while also printing money for banks, duh

Morbus
May 18, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

They can't even fake the pivot either because pausing now will skyrocket inflation and undo the meager efforts they've done in the past year+.

Honestly, since we are operating under a durable and systemic labor shortage in the first place, a "high inflation" environment driven by low interest rates is probably preferable for workers to one where they are using demand destruction primarily to put downward pressure on wages

Morbus
May 18, 2004

NeonPunk posted:

I don't think this would happen anymore. My brother has been job seeking for over a year and in the past few months, the job offers wage salary has been smaller and smaller compared to last year.

The great resignation period is over, you cannot just quit and find a higher paying job that easily anymore

Yeah but that was the entire point of raising interest rates.

The "inflation" that mattered most was always wage growth--even if it was not keeping up with price growth or if aggregate profits were growing with it.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Millennials grew up during a home price lull? Are they just making poo poo up now? The oldest millennials were in their late twenties when the 2007 real estate bubble popped.

just lol if u didn't take advantage of the robust post-2008 job market to buy a house immediately after entering the labor force

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

The point of this whole exercise was to kneecap the productive economy so that unproductive rent-extracting capital could come in and steal as much as they needed to get their future projected rent income back to where they wanted it. that some banks accidentally got caught in the crossfire was a freak accident

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Hubbert posted:

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but America will always lose a war

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Consummate Professional posted:

who’s kendra lust

I DONT KNOW FIRST IVE HEARD OF HER

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Yudo posted:

war seems dumb as poo poo for all involved.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

SourKraut posted:

The private sector went along with it because they were provided sweet, sweet contracts and payouts.

They also bitched and pissed and moaned about it for the entire war despite that

Morbus
May 18, 2004

euphronius posted:

in Pa I would say small claims judges are completely insane and don’t even read their judgments. just appeal

I don’t know about CA

it's not uncommon to get split the baby judgements in CA small claims and it's not uncommon to get a reasonable judgement on appeal, either.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Lacrosse posted:

The lake near my last place has no lifeguards and they ripped out the old lifeguard towers last time they remodeled the park. No less than 3 people drown in that lake every summer.

sounds like well over 99% of lake visits were not drownings, lifeguards were a waste

Morbus
May 18, 2004

WhatAGreatCountry posted:

that was they 'heyday' (re:horrible ghetto poverty) of the first housing bubble back in 05. most of those people when bankrupt in 09 and never touched credit (in its entirety) for the rest of their lives (see: mostly cracked out boomers). the latest american lifestyle is trying to obtain clean sheets of cardboard (for your spot on the sidewalk) to survive the night.

don't be hyperbolic.

clean cardboard is abundant and most people can afford a tent to hide in a ditch on the side of the highway

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The biggest parts of the SV 'tech' economy aren't really tech companies.

Google is an advertising company.

Facebook is a box that turns grandma into a racist

Amazon is a retailer

Yeah but those are major customers for most actual tech companies (takes a lot of datacenters to reach 1 billion grandmas). Contraction in the bullshit sectors of the economy eventually trickles down elsewhere since at the end of the day that was a huge amount of money being sloshed around and now it's slowed.

Even firms that did not overhire (or which contracted) during the last 3 years are having hiring freezes and layoffs, even if they are profitable. There was growth, and now there is less growth, hence moloch demands a sacrifice.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

getting in on this while i still can

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

It comes back to MBA mindset where they see personnel as inefficiencies instead of required to do the unglamorous work at sea like scrub, oil and paint things.

look it's very simple if you depreciate your assets to nothing then number actually goes up when they get sunk by a cruise missile. checkmate chinailures

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Interesting. This would be saying the "banking crisis" is self inflicted because rates aren't being passed on to depositors so depositors are pulling cash to chase better yields.
https://twitter.com/Kathleen_Tyson_/status/1638936614150840321?t=7y9dRAyivw4RqUw9b9tfOA&s=19

Morbus
May 18, 2004

NeonPunk posted:

No outrage over it all? What? Lmao

Just because the news isn't talking about it doesn't mean that people aren't upset about it

outrage means the rage needs to come out

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Here's the thing about baking: It's chemistry. If you're bad at chemistry, you're bad at baking.

This is what happened when I tried to make buttermilk biscuits a while back:

*me, helplessly flipping through the CRC handbook*

"Oohhhhh, this is why my cookies suck poo poo!"

Morbus
May 18, 2004

like my dude they were baking bread 3000 years before the most sophisticated idea about chemistry was "maybe wood is made of rocks and fire and if u drink mercury u live forever"

Morbus
May 18, 2004

nexous posted:

can you tell us what it is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSu_laq2Fl8&t=44s

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

A lotta yall still dont get it. Ex-wives can get multiple slurp judgments on a single divorce ape. 

Morbus
May 18, 2004

In Training posted:

is the current strategy to just hold out for 5 market days, collapse Friday night and get bailed out by Sunday.

NO

Morbus
May 18, 2004

step 1.) gain student's trust

step 2.) convince them to borrow dad's credit card

step 3.) cut him in

Morbus
May 18, 2004

shrike82 posted:

the discourse about China versus US economic warfare is pretty abstract because the only effect the average person is going to see is cheapish midrange electronics :shrug:

tell me you have no idea what china does without telling me etc

Morbus
May 18, 2004

quote:

They live in a 13-room Victorian house they purchased in 1997 for about $37,000

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Lpzie posted:

anyone itt that makes money in America should be exporting it to Americas enemies all the time.,..

--Dr. Peter Albert Crack Pinger

Morbus
May 18, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

After sleeping on it I still agree with tired me last night that I am going to pay the $375.

edit: I am going to hike around Mt Rainier today and be happy knowing that the landlord lady will be miserable today and every day for the rest of her miserable sad life.

The others are correct in this thread. She’s probably extremely angry at the judgement and genuinely believes we owe her $14,500 and the court system hosed over the little landlord again!!!

imo

1.) it's really common in small claims to get a split the baby judgement and then get a legally reasonable one after appeal

2.) it is virtually impossible you will ever be asked to pay anything remotely approaching what the landlady thinks you owe

3.) your lawyer is going to give you better legal advice than this thread

that said, it's 300 bucks so who really cares

Morbus
May 18, 2004

PoundSand posted:

I think you're confusion stems from not understanding that these tech moves aren't like going to a town with a pop of a couple hundred or thousand but more to places sized like a college town which are still an order of magnitude smaller than a major metro area but still have access to things like a nice grocery store and fiber internet.

It's this. Tiny rural towns get a lot of attention because, as others have mentioned, if 1000 tech workers move from the SF bay area to las vegas nobody really notices, but if 10 of them move to bumfuck nowhere it is noteworthy. There are an abundance of places in the US where you can buy a house outright for the price of a down payment in CA, and still live standard suburban lifestyle.

Morbus has issued a correction as of 06:00 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Isn't this like the 3rd derailment on that stretch of rail in the last 2-3 months?