Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

in 2018 i was working overnights at a resort. i was technically in accounting but had access to the bar keys and was drinking about ten standard drinks a night, six days a week. though we were two thousand miles away and i hadn't seen him in a decade, my drill sergeant from basic was my security guard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/nicholasguyatt/status/1637840296569438215?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

War and Pieces posted:

lmao that I was smarter than you at 13, thank God I got all my politics from Daily Show instead of South Park

I was 13 at the time and believed the lies. 9/11 and living in a propaganda empire is a hell of a thing. :smith: feels bad man

Al-Saqr posted:

mohammad saeed al sahhaf was a more honest and decent man and braver than every american soldier and politician at the time and he was right to call american soldiers mercenary thugs

They're not mercenaries fighting for something crass like money!

They're mercenaries fighting for a college education and maybe some healthcare. Big difference you see.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

vyelkin posted:

I marched in a giant protest against the war and it accomplished absolutely nothing

One of my best friends from high school got blown up by an IED. Would have been 31 in april

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

skooma512 posted:

I was 13 at the time and believed the lies. 9/11 and living in a propaganda empire is a hell of a thing. :smith: feels bad man

it was wild seeing Bush win the middle school mock election by 2/3rds and then seeing kids in high school get suspended for selling "BUCK FUSH" T-shirts

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
i got a series of detentions for bullying the american students because of the iraq war. i stand by my actions

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Terminal autist posted:

One of my best friends from high school got blown up by an IED. Would have been 31 in april

Wild that someone was killed serving in a war that started when they were 11.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Brrrmph posted:

happened all the time to iraqis in 2003

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Brrrmph posted:

Good thing school recruiters stopped as soon as the war started

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

people dont actually think the invasion was bad, they think the way we did it was bad
lol just fondly remembered multiple gbs war psychos who came over to say america was actually the good guy and spent billions rebuilding afghanistan/iraq and was therefore good. sure some mistakes were made, but we brought democracy and freedom against the evil authoritarian dictators. freedom = good

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

if you want to lol some more look at the last few pages of the capitalism thread to see what americans think of their war in afghanistan

wow a lot of bad posts in that thread. anyone bring up all the pedo warlords to any of the posters tut tutting about the taliban?

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Xaris posted:

lol just fondly remembered multiple gbs war psychos who came over to say america was actually the good guy and spent billions rebuilding afghanistan/iraq and was therefore good. sure some mistakes were made, but we brought democracy and freedom against the evil authoritarian dictators. freedom = good

speaking of war psycho posters, anyone remember that one contractor poster, was active in the late aughts and early 10s? he would bring up his job as a contractor constantly, as if it gave him some sort of authority, and of course a lot of morons on this forum fawned over him and his posts. I know this description is very vague, but this guy was a psycho he really stood about the rest.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ringo Roadagain posted:

speaking of war psycho posters, anyone remember that one contractor poster, was active in the late aughts and early 10s? he would bring up his job as a contractor constantly, as if it gave him some sort of authority, and of course a lot of morons on this forum fawned over him and his posts. I know this description is very vague, but this guy was a psycho he really stood about the rest.

wasn't that just grover

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

It was pretty badass when they rebranded the blitzkrieg as shock and awe and then spent millions of dollars showing americans footage of their military murdering people on completely baseless grounds

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

i say swears online posted:

wasn't that just grover

no grover was just an engineer for the government or something.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61pgAIy_flU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmKx6wkDThE

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anyone remember Plamegate?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

all I remember is that it was extremely petty and I felt like both sides sucked bad

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
i'd forgotten how absolutely loathsome this guy was now that he's had years to settle into being a generic 'wrong about everything' dipshit, nice to be reminded, i guess
https://twitter.com/OsitaNwanevu/status/1637865024336060419

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

vyelkin posted:

Dick Cheney leaked false information to the New York Times and then publicly said that the New York Times article was evidence that the false information was true

whoops!

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

vyelkin posted:

Dick Cheney leaked false information to the New York Times and then publicly said that the New York Times article was evidence that the false information was true

tbf most likely Cheney just asked them to run false info so they could use it as justification rather than him hoodwinking a journalist

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

FizFashizzle posted:

one of my best friends was in transportation for the navy. his job was to put together huge armored convoys to transport stuff from point A to point B. he did the scheduling, assigned roles, etc.

rules of the road in Iraq were US convoys get the center and everyone moves to the side. of course, Iraqi teen males with cars would play chicken with the convoys because they're stupid loving teenagers. procedure was to wave them off, then fire two warning shots, then fire into their hood if they didn't move away.

last car of the convoy had a huge mounted .40 cal or something and they rotated who was positioned in it because it would be targeted first in an attack. They had one guy in their unit who everyone, commanding officers included, called "Speedy." This guy absolutely should not have been in the military and anyone who said two words to him would realize he was developmentally delayed.

They were trying to keep him off of the .40 cal because they knew he couldn't be trusted with a potato gun, let alone something that could hurt people, but some random superior felt that EVERYONE had to share the most dangerous job Oorah whatever so my buddy was ordered to put Speedy on the back so it looked good on a report. he did it for a route that was generally the most quiet where teens didn't gently caress around and just hoped for the best.

SURE ENOUGH on that route here came some car full of Iraqi teens trying to get a thrill. My buddy on headset gave explicit instructions on how to handle the car coming up based on their protocols. Guy on the gun immediately opened up with it right into the car full of teenagers, then all the other cars around. Just full send.

the way my friend described it was looking in the side view mirrors of his vehicle and seeing multiple cars, basically sliced in half by the gunfire, just bouncing off the highway. He said he could see the insides were just bright red. he kept screaming for the guy to stop shooting but the convoys weren't allowed to stop and split, bright red cars just. kept. bouncing

i trust all those guys were arrested and charged with war crimes and are still in prison

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

hillary stole all her old lady drip from albright

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SplitSoul posted:

Anyone remember Plamegate?

Then Trump leaked all the things and got assets killed and the IC doesn't even seem to give a poo poo at all lol.

Although if a capital-A Agent got got behind Trump's espionage that would be pretty cool, based even.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Ringo Roadagain posted:

idk but here's a guy that's still around:

kronix posted:

I can confirm that in the late 2000s I worked for a large defense contractor and the main project we were working on (without getting specific) was designed to address the fact that a lot of military logistics simply couldn’t keep pace with the insane rate of advance the US had in Iraq.

We spent an insane amount of taxpayer money optimizing stuff so that on the off chance we needed to invade a country faster than Iraq in 2003, we’d be able to.

So yes, the execution the Iraq invasion in 2003 was excellent. It was everything after that failed.

kronix posted:

You're 100% right but do you really think Russia is doing a better job here? We destroyed Iraq and also purged the government of any Baathists which also happened to include the people who actually knew how to run the country. Then they ran off and formed their own government, with black flags and more violent executions.

We also spent an incredible amount of money rebuilding but in the end it wasn't enough to convince the population.

What does not wanting invaders in your country have to do with the Koran? My point is that Russia can barely hold what they have now when this is uniformed army against uniformed army shelling each other. What happens when Russia declares victory and what's left of the Ukrainian resistance spends the next 2 decades car bombing "collaborators"?

There's no peaceful way for this to end with Russia in Ukraine that doesn't include immense human suffering.

kronix posted:

When you're not furiously googling for my posting history so you can post out of context bullshit I posted on this website, you're straight up making poo poo up because so you can own me on the internet.

Fact: The US spent a shitload of money trying to rebuild Iraq, it went poorly.
Fact: Russia will try to do the same in Ukraine but with less resources, it will also go poorly.

It turns out if you kill someones child, they don't really a give a poo poo that you built a new school or fix the water treatment plant you destroyed. In the case of Ukrainians they'll get a case of frozen fish or a new Lada.

Maybe you can make 10 more posts about how I worked for a contractor a decade ago but still somehow get a warcrime residual check for all the good work I did in a dark lab in the mid aughts.

kronix posted:

I had 6 figures of student loan debt and no rich parents to fall back on. What can I say, I’m a victim of an evil capitalist system.

I’m definitely not willing to starve to maintain the moral posting high ground.

edit: bonus!

kronix posted:

You do realize that a lot of Ukrainian refugees are immediately employable and already speak English right?

I’m not saying that there isn’t a bit of white refugees good, brown ones bad but if you don’t think there’s a massive difference between a farmer from Afghanistan and Ukrainian refugee who was up until 2 months ago working for a tech company I dunno what to tell you.

crepeface has issued a correction as of 03:45 on Mar 21, 2023

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
do you think w ever called jeb for advice

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

crepeface posted:

no, but I found the guy, Rrail, legit one of the biggest and most sincere psychos Ive seen on this forum. soon coming off a 100,000 hour probe

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=45043

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ringo Roadagain posted:

no, but I found the guy, Rrail, legit one of the biggest and most sincere psychos Ive seen on this forum. soon coming off a 100,000 hour probe

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=45043

lol theres a name i havent heard in a long time

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

crepeface posted:

edit: bonus!

Good lord

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

vyelkin posted:

I marched in a giant protest against the war and it accomplished absolutely nothing

I cut school to go and had lunch in Chinatown so I felt like I accomplished something

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I hope everyone involved in the Iraq war's heads spontaneously explode right now. cmon Allah/God/G-d show me what you got

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
how's Iraq doing these days?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Radirot posted:

dece. only took 32 years of dead children

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

i say swears online posted:

dece. only took 32 years of dead children

yeah :smith:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Al! posted:

do you think w ever called jeb for advice

"What should I put guac in?"

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Radirot posted:

Read the article on the op

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i think it was a bad thing that america did one of the worst genocides in history on iraq, only beaten out by the holodomor which definitely happened

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Xaris posted:

i think it was a bad thing that america did one of the worst genocides in history on iraq, only beaten out by the holodomor which definitely happened

i think the jury is still out in this specific question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

fart simpson posted:

i think the jury is still out in this specific question

what happened to your star?