Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

wow this thread is really improved by the contributions of some stupid assholes obliquely complaining about their buddy getting threadbanned. a bunch of real susan b anthony’s advancing the culture.

my feedback is please give them everything they want. they won’t come back for more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey seth, since mycophobia wants their thread in sad to be about the direction of gbs and not this thread i'll bring it here.

when you said

Seth Pecksniff posted:

If you're worried that you're going to be retaliated against because you're a FYAD/IZ poster, I can assure you that's not the case.

and people laughed at it, its because that sort of mentality is in the thread.

edit -

here's some examples of people doing just that sort of stuff to get it started

MuadDib Atreides posted:

THIS freakin style of posting! So much win. Not to mention the endless posting about video games and doxxxing speaks to a certain Je ne sais qua. You have my axe, and my sword. Make one of the mentally insane fyad hanger ons from the pyf thread mod of gbs. I will take my leave

Chinatown posted:

stux is the classic example of some random poster who posts about dweeb poo poo in Games or whatever and comes into SAD and GBS and just intentionally stirs up drama because they are pathetic turds.

yawn.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Solefald posted:

Nah, you're just in the PYFQCSSADIZ crew

Smugworth posted:

Nom Epique got banned+7 days for mild trolling but the definitely not a crew crew gets buttmad over sixers for posting ":gas: GBS"

Thank you shepherding us through these dark times, Seth, and being a shining example of how moderation should be done. Take note, lesser subforums

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Dude, you’re part of the reason people think there are crews so maybe gently caress off? You mysteriously appear every time there’s drama in GBS so you can go “Hurf durf what’s the deal with GBS” and then all your buddies are in SAD screeching for justice minutes later. Maybe stop doing that and the crew bullshit will go away.

like its pretty clear there's people who want to push the culture of 'our subforum vs some other subforum/user that's not a gbs regular' which is stupid and bad and shouldn't really ever be tolerated

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jul 16, 2023

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

loving shame on you. According to his posting history, he's also autistic.

This probe has been retracted, as it is actually a factual statement about and by DW89.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Mekchu posted:

hey seth, since mycophobia wants their thread in sad to be about the direction of gbs and not this thread i'll bring it here.

when you said

and people laughed at it, its because that sort of mentality is in the thread.

If posters pop in here just to poo poo up the thread and ignore the rules, nobody cares what other particular forums they post in as far as I can see. Just don't post here like it's a pink forum. Otherwise...

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

This probe has been retracted, as it is actually a factual statement about and by DW89.

I appreciate it, as weird as a post as I made.

DW89, you are free to post here, my friend. This is a safe place. I am sorry if any posts I made about your autism were perceived in jest.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

Tarquinn posted:

Well, GBS is the most populous sub-forum and most of the regulars seem to enjoy the state it is currently in and do not like people coming in saying "GBS bad". There will be an instinctive push-back to that. That's probably true for the all sub-forums (or on a bigger level, cultures in general).

However, I do think that GBS still kinda is the forum where most new posters start first, to get their bearings and the general forum where everyone should be able to discuss pretty much anything. Therefore it should be as open to all posters as possible, without descending into a 4chan style chaos. Can you define "weird", or is it just a gut-feeling? This is an open question to all.

i don't see actual problems, more like a lot of grey boringness that smothers out the potential for interesting or funny things. so they happen/are seen much less often. The weirdness comes from the disconnected and isolated little subcommunities in mega threads that start to diverge from the forum over time, get boring, and/or turn rotten one way or another like DeviantArt thread, submarine thread.

just for the record idc if anything changes, im not campaigning for anything to happen at all, don't post much in gbs & only started thinking about it from the SAD thread bc procrastinating from doin stuff irl + i like to post

HOWEVER, I think the main issue is structural, threads should have more turnover like 16bbh said, instead of being up for 10 years at a time. if this is supposed to be the kind of entry forum, you want to have new threads up because newbies aren't going to post in threads with a million posts. i think it would be better if threads popped up when a notable event happened, where people could come in at an equal footing and a fresh space to contribute.

if a new thread about [topic], popped up when something that was worth a thread happened, that way everyone could see it/contribute, instead of only people who read that thread and catch the page it's discussed on before it gets buried by white noise posts. Also the slight barrier for content means less pages of people talking about the thing that Ian Miles Cheong just posted on twitter or w/e because who loving cares honestly

Not that those kinds of pseudo-chat-threads are bad -period-, they're actually really good for a community. There just shouldn't be that many at once in one forum, because that's when they silo off into little subgroups within one forum and it fucks up the idea of a forum. works best to have only one, maybe two. It also really matters what the central subject/theme is (needs to give space for people to be funny & not be depressing or upsetting )

if I could make one change it would probably be that

Schweinhund posted:

Have you ever considered that this is a you problem and not a GBS problem? This goes for half the complaints in this thread but it's more obvious in this case.

it's not a problem. i an a deeply principled person and don't sweve from that. i think its good

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

DW89, you are free to post here, my friend. This is a safe place. I am sorry if any posts I made about your autism were perceived in jest.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

this is a weird post lol

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Tarquinn posted:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

lmao running interference, disingenuous use of safe space, "you perceived it wrong"

thanks Allies

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

" I was an rear end in a top hat and I'm sorry" typically is a better apology

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

What a disingenuous statement and a mealy-mouthed apology that is.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

my feedback here is this guy should be banned for this

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
i stay with my tribe so they can protect me

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

I was an rear end in a top hat and im sorry

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

I was an rear end in a top hat and im sorry

put it on his tombstone. DELETE THIS BITCH

just kidding i hope you get out of this one ok bud, we all make mistakes

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Rock Puncher posted:

put it on his tombstone. DELETE THIS BITCH

just kidding i hope you get out of this one ok bud, we all make mistakes

It's not like you doubled down on it after being told to stop.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

FirstnameLastname posted:

it's true

if someone makes a rule and I don't agree with it, I'm going to want to break that rule even if its something I'd normally never do

personally id actually stopped calling stuff gay or aids entirely irl and online for years until people started crusaidsing against it on here, now i live for that poo poo

that's how you encourage it

nobody would have done anything if people didn't massively overreact to it, the overreaction is what draws it in

u attract more aids with vinegar than with honey
This is what I mean about trolling being just weird toddler brain poo poo that I don't think we need to have any tolerance for. You can't simply follow an incredibly minor rule that aligns with what you do in real life already? And you "live for" the negative reaction you get for breaking the rule? Have you tried living for something less sad?

Seems like the win/win solution is permabanning anyone who obtains pleasure from negative attention. We're rid of them, and they got to totally own us by getting us to overreact. Because it seems like the alternative is probing them over and over and over until we change the rules they disagree with (but not actually, since they already follow that rule in real life??????)

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

This is fairly hosed up, worse than posting “aids” twice or whatever the egregious posting crime was

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Slugworth posted:

This is what I mean about trolling being just weird toddler brain poo poo that I don't think we need to have any tolerance for. You can't simply follow an incredibly minor rule that aligns with what you do in real life already? And you "live for" the negative reaction you get for breaking the rule? Have you tried living for something less sad?

Seems like the win/win solution is permabanning anyone who obtains pleasure from negative attention. We're rid of them, and they got to totally own us by getting us to overreact. Because it seems like the alternative is probing them over and over and over until we change the rules they disagree with (but not actually, since they already follow that rule in real life??????)

i said i decided not to. there's no rule irl stopping me from calling things gay what are you talking about

that right there is why people dont like want to post in this thread or engage in good faith and i do not blame them as it's funny and this is pointless

have you ever considered maybe the 'all word usage rules are for white straight men at work as default for literally everyone no exceptions because it i don't get to say it you don't get to either' default policy for all language in gbs might in itself be kinda discriminatory as not everyone on this website is a straight white man or talks like a straight white man, or considered how that reflects on the supposed inclusiveness of this subforum or that it might come across as a bit superficial, performative or hypocritical when you're getting that upset over me saying I'm gonna say aids, gay when there's blatant middleschool ableism posting going untouched like 4 posts up

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 16, 2023

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

FirstnameLastname posted:

there's blatant middleschool ableism posting going untouched like 4 posts up
They have shown more remorse for their mistake than all of the gay/aids posters combined. Does this count for anything, or is it the principle of things that is the most important?

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Tarquinn posted:

They have shown more remorse for their mistake than all of the gay/aids posters combined. Does this count for anything, or is it the principle of things that is the most important?

they were insincere and you accepted their apology for me by unprobing them. you should probably stop defending your bad call at this point and reverse it?

edit: also this has nothing to do with the goons saying aids, it's about me being the target of a weird ableist dig and you recognising it was weird, probing them, then deciding it was actually super chill and I should "take a breather" if I'm upset with it. you are turning discrete events into forum war bullshit and once again in like 5 pages it led to mask off phobia.

Douche Wolf 89 fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 16, 2023

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

Tarquinn posted:

no they haven't, and that wasn't a mistake? it was some weak bitchmade snipe at dw87, then repeated, then they confirmed that it was intentional both times with the third post

also what mistake do the gay/aids posters need to show remorse for if they disagree with the rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Christ it's a Sunday morning and everyone's arguing on the internet in a web 1.0 forum

May Jeff bestow a Boxing Day Massacre Pt. 2 on all of us in this thread, myself included.

I'm going to reboot this thread later today. In the meantime, go hangout with friends, enjoy the day, praise the Lord, whatever, but do something else.