Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Youth Decay posted:

Nashville shooter was a 28yo woman. I believe this is the first school shooting committed by a woman since the Cleveland Elementary School shooting in 1979.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Elementary_School_shooting_(San_Diego)

More 👏 female 👏 school 👏 shooters👏

Wait, no, the opposite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

PT6A posted:

They said group projects were preparation for real life, but in real life if I have a consistent problem with a loving moron that I'm working with, the boss will do something about said moron.

Either that or, if someone is unproductive due to work-balance issues, it all balances out eventually.

What if the moron is the boss' nephew?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Gatts posted:

MTG, Illhan Omar, Gym Jordan voted yes.

AOC, Katie Porter, Ro Khanna, Ayanna, Rashida, Anna Paulina, Gosar, others voted no.

Hell of a thing.

I skipped the last couple pages, is this the debt ceiling thing

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Was Cornel West the Obama Beer Summit guy?

Would be really funny if the racism wing of the GOP raised a big stink about the KSA buying golf

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Youth Decay posted:

https://twitter.com/quantian1/status/1674426191162515463
Not sure how sound this take is but I suspect schools are going to try a way around this in some fashion or other.

The decision leaves lot of wiggle room for colleges to consider "racial experiences" and proxies for race aside from a check box for black/white/etc on the application

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

The mob is going to make a comeback in the garbage bins business

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I have no idea how Bob Menendez kept getting elected after he skated on his first batch of corruption charges years ago

He's one of the most insanely obvious corrupt politicians ever

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My vote for speaker goes to the widening gyre.

But seriously, who the gently caress even WANTS this job? It's basically a political bomb collar that barely even comes with prestige.

I'll be speaker and complete no-show it

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

So McCarthy is out then?

Tremendous content etc etc

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Randalor posted:

So on the non-zero percent chance Jeffries actually gets elected Speaker, csn he immediately remove the rule saying that anyone can oust the Speaker, or is that rule in place for the term?

If Jeffries wins, can he eliminate the rule that requires the House to have a speaker to function

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I don't know a thing about guns, so like, what part of the cartridge hit the kid? I thought blanks didn't have the projectile bit

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Does the Speaker election need a majority of the votes or just a plurality

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

PostNouveau posted:

You want a girly man and dope smoker to be Speaker of the House or do you want someone who knows how to pump some iron?

Now that I think about it, I haven't heard Paul Ryan's name in a while

What's he up to these days?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Is the rule that the House needs a Speaker to function written in the constitution or can a future Speaker wrangle the votes to let the rest of the House run more autonomously

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Has the actual floor vote been scheduled yet

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Why do grunt level military promotions even need senate oversight to begin with

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Usually, the Senate just agrees by unanimous consent to waive debate for all nominees that are just grunts getting promotions and just hold hearings/debates for the few top promotions (Chief of Staff of the Army/Navy/Air Force, Joint Chief, etc.)

Whoops whatever

I get the Pres is CiC and all, but the military promoting someone from major general grade 3 to major general grade 2 does not seems like something oversight is required for

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Never marry, don't have kids, die alone

Problem solved

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Kids should only have phones to post to Awful App

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

How the heck did we even get to phone chat in the first place

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Dapper_Swindler posted:

make them read all of the horus heresy books including all of the poo poo ones.

Psychopath poo poo right here

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The Hunger Games and the teacher rushing to cover Juliet’s boobs in that one version s the only time I remember most or even half the class being engaged since elementary story time

No one remembers you have to watch 10 minutes of Leonard Whiting's rear end before a half second of boob

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

abravemoose posted:

As someone who experienced bullying by teachers, in the 1990s, I feel like this is close to that line. Maybe they'd deserve it?

My fifth grade "Gifted and Talented" English teacher laughed in my face because misspelled "once" as "ounce" in a paper.

My eighth grade Honors English teacher read our assignment grades and then cumulative grades out loud at the beginning of class.

Humiliating me and my classmates accomplished nothing and I remember my classmates saying that fifth grade teacher is when they started to hate school.

Did your school district employ nothing but Snape clones? Woof

That sucks dude, sorry

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Ngl, I thought O'Connor died years ago

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I don't think it's cognitive dissonance or whatever for folks to be happy with their paychecks but see the grocery store bill and go :tviv:

Like spending is up, but how much that spending is on food and rent and stuff people kinda have to buy

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

If we're still on moving chat, I was born and raised in Pennsylvania, moved to Texas for grad school, would like to move to California but will possibly end up in Alabama instead

:sigh:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Trump got 75 million votes in 2020 out of a country with 330 million folks. So roughly 20-25% of the US are Trumpist. Which doesn't seem like a lot, but the US is only 15% black

I don't even know where I'm going with this

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

The fixed borders for the Senate is way more of a problem than the House borders

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

This article goes through the claims.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2023/12/12/allegations-plagiarism-gay-dissertation/

In my view, what she did in her dissertation was plagiarism; it's largely copying phrasing, so it's not functionally all that significant, but it's plagiarism. Any student would be reprimanded for it. The examples from her later articles would never raise an eyebrow if not for the dissertation issues, since it's technical language and it often does actually include the citations.

You will soon have your wish, but only for people who are the wrong kinds of major figures, like women and minorities. I hope that's good enough for you.

It's not like the Stanford guy who fabricated data, but still basic undergrad level of plagiarism

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Civilized Fishbot posted:

We should just make it a lot easier for people to get good jobs without four-year degrees. This will help us fix critical infrastructure issues on this country and resolve alienation and despair among young men, and men of all ages, and anyone who doesn't fit well into the college-to-office pipeline.

I don't think your average young man feels alienated because he is literally so racist or sexist that nobody can love him, it's because he has no reliable access to a union or middle-class career in a society where social connection requires a lot of consumer power.

Do like, grunt level UAW jobs require a college degree these days?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah this guy needs to resign and Biden needs to accept it. What an incredible failure of judgment.

I know this is silly, but if someone wants to resign and their boss won't accept it, what happens? Are they stuck as an employee? Do they stay home or make themselves completely intolerable and force someone to fire them?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

So if this vote goes the wrong way, are we going to have another speaker election?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

According to Google, Pittsburgh is the 2nd most affordable housing market out of U.S. cities with over 300k people, but I don't know offhand if they have engaged in any major housing growth policies that lead to it vs. the area being a part of the rust belt.

You got a link or something? I'd like to look over that myself

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Salt Lake is an expensive city? Would have not thought that.

Are there any cities left that would be considered "undervalued"? Nashville has exploded in the last couple years, Denver, etc etc. When I lived near Philly years ago, it seemed surprisingly cheap compared to the rest of the I95 corridor but I think prices are rising there too now. From the link Trotsky posted, affordable cities are limited to the Rust Belt and some places in the South

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Doesn't a bunch of the Iraq-era War Powers stuff give the President more-or-less free latitude to do whatever he wants to wrt military action?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

build a time machine to 1947 and when Israel is created, insist the only allowed location is the middle of west texas

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

huh

well then

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

socialsecurity posted:

What was fine about candidate Trump?

I remember half this forum ironically loved Trump because he made the rest of the field look like clowns

Then he actually got elected

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Given how many people in this country have been shameless Trump supporters . . .I hope not. I don't want to live in a country those people are happy about.

Trump got 63 million votes in 2016 and I thought that was a hard cap, squeezing turnout of every chud possible

Then 2020 Trump got another 11 million votes somehow and I have idea where they came from since 2016

I don't want to know how many more he picks up in 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Tim Scott has apparently had a secret girlfriend he started dating back in May of last year. She is allegedly the first person he has ever dated. They are getting married after dating for 8 months.

Now, only one of South Carolina's Senators is a lifelong bachelor who has had rumors about their sexuality following them for decades.

Some people are floating a conspiracy theory that this is partially to make himself look better for a Trump VP pick by dispelling the gay rumors and being a family man. Seems more likely that he is actually a weird fundie who didn't (officially/publicly) date anyone for his entire life and then married his first girlfriend. Either way, the whole situation is still pretty funny and strange.

https://twitter.com/votetimscott/status/1749265172789641363

Woah now, you can't rule out Scott being a E/N goon as well