Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Still catching up on the last 1,000 non-spoiler posts to say the tutorial island was goddamn glorious for me. I am so glad they kept that spirit of BotW's great plateau. Semi-handholding and subtle signposting that builds up your skills but also introduces you to a few different biomes.

Climbing/descending every structure and finding brilliant views of various islands made it all the sweeter.

Anyone else in Hyrule getting hit with rain as soon as they try to climb something tall? It's happened enough times to me that I have to wonder if Nintendo's trying to funnel me elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Steve Yun posted:

There’s TWO death stars?

No wait…

They’re Iserlohn and Geiersberg

I'm reading through the LotGH novels and appreciated this reference.

:hfive:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Caidin posted:

It took me so long to FIND Lynels that I'm actually going to vote dragon bits, but it's not like Mighty Banana's are hard to come by in mass even of you aren't dunking on ninja's if you know where to look.

There's a banana plateau patrolled by a chief bokoblin and its minions, they had their backs turned but all went into high alert as soon as I grabbed bananas. Fun chase ensued.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Caidin posted:

I found the Lobster Shirt from Windwaker, now why the gently caress can't I upgrade it

If you are defeated while wearing it, you were unworthy and the one in need of an upgrade.

*dies to another mounted bokoblin underground, zero dungeons cleared, I have no power*

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

One delicious bite of gameplay in a single night: Unlocked first great fairy, found and defeated Phantom Ganon, tracked down the Master Sword - not enough power yet, but in the course of catching up to the dragon I unlocked two shrines, including the glide suit challenge. A little over 30 hours in, still only completed one dungeon, this is the sweet spot of every Zelda game where you're powerful/able enough to push in every direction but not game-breakingly so, at least my basic rear end isn't.

I'm going to hate unlocking the final chunk of map, aren't I? If only the game could just make a rotating quest line out of re-restoring a random tower every couple blood moons... optional, of course! To keep scratching that itch.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Over the course of this thread, I have seen two conflicting observations regarding stocking up on arrows:

"Just break crates and barrels"
"I'm breaking my weapons in pursuit of arrows"

Pro tip: barrels and crates will shatter if you lift them with Ultrahand as high as they will go and drop them.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

sonatinas posted:

I still get a kick out of the NPCs horror to link doing link things with his powers.

Ditto this for the NPCs who protect their goods from Ultrahand. "Cut it out blondie, I told you that's my dinner!"

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

jackofarcades posted:

Seeing Across the Spiderverse has me imagining a multiverse spanning Zelda game where you drop into every game as some dimensional hopping Ganondorf threatens to gently caress over all the work you did in those games

Remember when Zant turned all the Twilight Princess boss fights into WarioWare microgames?

Ganon is forever upset he didn't think of that first.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

No Wave posted:

Any surprising high damage environmental attachments (ie, ones you cant put in your inventory)? The highest I've found is the gerudo village seal statue gives +10.

The bone pieces you find in the Gorons' area grant +7 and are rather plentiful. It was the attachment that taught me that Zonai swords retract to just their attachment and often look stubby as a result.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

the heebie-gbs posted:

honestly made me happy to know that this game has SOME flaws...

FWIW, the Master Sword sometimes forgets to show its fused item, at least when I'm in combat. Resets when I sheathe/unsheathe it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

That DICK! posted:

What’s the deal with ganondorf

Los Ganondorfos son suaves:

https://youtube.com/shorts/aOB2mSALBiA?feature=share

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Loving finding Magic The Gathering-esque equipment combos, for example:
-Gloom Sword: high base damage, but glooms a heart every couple of strikes
-Twilight helmet: passively un-glooms one heart
---attach light dragon scale to Gloom Sword: decent damage buff plus heal fraction of a heart with each strike

Alternately, attach flux core to Gloom Sword for 72 damage per strike, gloom can't keep up with the rate of murder and the helmet keeps de-glooming the same heart

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

It's me, the player who didn't scale Death Mountain until 50+ hours into the game and legitimately enjoyed the Goron dungeon being a giant underground zone. What's that, the skills, equipment, and rules of thumb I picked up scouring the caverns all this time will now come in handy for a lava-themed obstacle course of more caverns? Drive a seed-headlight car and light up some roots? Hell yeah, love it.

One question, though: is there a particular use for the marbled rock roasts down here?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

60 hours in and just now completed the fire temple, my second so far.

Was disappointed that it was not, in fact, a special cavern adventure but an actual dungeon. The cart stuff got old fast, but at least the boss went down easily. I know a dungeon's design is tedious when I'd rather climb up / Ascend floors and glide across than navigate the cart tracks. The ring path outside the temple was more fun to navigate IMO.

Here's to the next temple... whenever I get around to it!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

"Link, I just found a stone tablet about the tears of the kingdom, and you won't believe this! The sages died over a hundred years ago."
"Uh, Joshacon, *I* died 100 years ago. The sages died thousands of years ago."
*tiny construct bot makes a squealing noise and falls over*

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

80 hours in, three temples complete, enjoying every step of the way.

Loved the shrine that dares you to give up. First time sliding ice into targets was easy, then the finish line is right on the other side of the door, either looking down its nose at you or offering a patronizing hand. "This next challenge is pretty tough, you can leave now if you want, s'cool." Ended up making a walkway of metal plates across the spikes and dropping the ice directly, no doubt fulfilling the devs' prophecy.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Luff posted:

Might as well make them barrel-shaped so they roll downhill, even if you're not building anything elaborate

I stuck the logs together into a lopsided wooden boulder, rolled down the cliff just fine.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

If you got time to kill, you can park Link on the dragon and wait 10 minutes to get another piece (and repeat that for as many pieces as you need). Just keep in mind elemental dragons need protection to do this safely (fireproof gear, Rito gear and Shock protection)

I had to dodge a bunch of lightning balls to glide onto the electric dragon, but walking around on its back I seemed to be pretty safe. Does the dragon target you if you stick around too long?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I'd like Beedle a lot more if he didn't give me his whole "whoa gimme your very rare and necessary for upgrades Rhino Beetles in exchange for this lovely tonic that heals 5 hears" spiel every time I talked to him

Excuse me, those beetles are useful? Why does Beedle seem like the kindly end receiver for beetles if they serve other, secret uses?!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Still lots of depths to unlock here, using this outfit combo:

Anti-Gloom Helmet - Gloom happens! Just a little insurance. (Matters less as my row of hearts stretches to the edge of the screen, but it also looks cool and is thematically appropriate imo)
Climber's Shirt - Climb a little faster when there's no convenient way up
Miner's Pants - So I don't accidentally walk off a cliff or glide into a wall

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Docjowles posted:

Recall is the ability I always loving forget to use unless it's obviously the solution to a shrine, like in the name.

Recall is my quick fix for "accidentally activated plane/boat and it's racing away" and its close cousin "ultrahanded an item/korok onto a slope and it's rolling away."

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I found a shrine with a small and a large ball where you have to send them down a ramp at the end without them falling into a hole, but there seemed to be a landing spot along the way for a third, medium ball I never found. Two was enough, in any case. Not sure if that's the dreaded Three-Body Problem, but I'm glad some of these shrines have a reputation. The "rauru's blessing but with a twist" shrine was very fun.

Also, spending a bunch of zonaite to summon a battery-laden flying machine to get to the Gerudo floating platform led to an... interesting encounter. Especially with the tension of "I don't have enough zonaite to come back here for a while so whatever's up here needs to be dealt with in one go."

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Donkringel posted:

I think the Sages were well done. It was fun being a gang wandering around Hyrule getting up to mischief. I got so used to my boys that I kept missing having them during the final fight, though I understand why.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Lucis Kingdom

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Augus posted:

Ganondorf meat

Gan U Wine

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Captain Hygiene posted:

A new 2D Zelda clone just dropped, Saga of the Moon Priestess. I haven't played much, but it's going for the GBC aesthetic pretty much to a fault, which I love:

It's already pretty cheap from the start, but under $5 with the launch discount. I've played a ways into the tutorial dungeon and it seems fun so far. My main complaint is that your starter weapon feels very Zelda 1-esque, in that it stabs straight forward rather than swinging to hit enemies that are further off to your side. That's a bit aggravating, and the movement feels a bit slow, but I'm still looking forward to playing more.

Hey, I've been digging this game over the weekend, thanks for giving it a shoutout!

The starter weapon has a subtly large hit box, which feels best when taking out four tufts of grass/pots at once.

Biggest complaints would be the lack of story progression as you complete dungeons, and that you have to walk yourself out of dungeons.

I'm four dungeons in and it's clear the developer was proudest of its original puzzle idea: The mirror puzzles are way more complex/interesting than everything that precedes them. I'm sure the "teleport across gaps" tool will go similarly.

Not sure if the inconspicuous duck is truly innocent or dealing :birddrugs:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

You're being too nice. They are video game animals that magically respawn. MURDER THEM FOR THEIR MEAT.

What next, deforesting Hyrule just because the trees start punching me? Not in THIS role play!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

You can actually go down and fight Ganon without doing basically any of the main quests, just like in BotW (which never really sat right in my brain for some reason). When you do the main quest out of order it just inserts little lines of dialogue like "Oh, you already got/found ____! Great!"

As someone who loved Legacy of the Wizard for showing off it's big bad dragon early in its dungeon, early access to Ganon scratches a satisfying dare in my brain.

I also appreciate that, while Ganon in BotW is sitting in Hyrule Castle waiting to rumble, TotK Ganon has that Lynel bodyguard to send noobs packing. Sure, both Ganons are more difficult without prep time, but that Lynel felt like more of a "gently caress off until you're actually ready" than BotW's guardians.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Hylians SHOULD be replaced with Bokoblins. At least they know how to cook, and they're more industrious - mining Zonaite and whatnot. They're building pirate ships while aside from Hudson construction, Hylians struggle to put a roof on a wagon. Then again, Addison is so stupid he can't even prop up a sign. He'll just hold on to it until he starves to death so it doesn't fall over.

Addison was first on the sign so that you'd be first against the wall.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

MokBa posted:

Speaking of Zelda merch, Uniqlo has some TotK t-shirts right now. I snagged the Korok one because it was cute and subtle. The quality is great!

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/spl/ut/zelda

Same, the korok design is pretty great for pooping on me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Houle posted:

Oracle games at the very least had a ring that let you punch people.

Ricky would punch Ganon through a brick wall and smile.