Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

free hubcaps posted:

Does this game seriously still have weapon durability?

Like I'm reading this dumb article about how tears of the kingdom 'fixed' the durability problem from botw...

The fusion system sounds cool but I don't see how this fixes the durability issue in any way? Botw had a lot of different stuff you could switch too as well and I don't think that's why people hated the durability system.

My issue with durability was half the weapons I carried around or more were not for combat but for utility. An axe for trees, a sledge hammer for launching rocks or mining gems, a fire sword for climbing around in cold places without having to use two layers of warm clothes, an ice sword for climbing around hot places, etc. A couple heavy hitters for combat.

I didn't want to have to go find a new sledgehammer after launching a few rocks.

But with the new system that isn't an issue, I can just attach a rock to a stick at any time for the same effect, the stuff is everywhere. I have a bunch of monster horns in my inventory, I can make a decent sword whenever I want.

Durability is annoying when you have to go out of your way to collect the weapons you need, but now you can easily make them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My defense stat through most of the tutorial was 1 and then 2 for a little while.

My defense stat is now 9 so I feel like I can actually survive a few hits now.

Raising the money was not too bad. TIP: You can sell food you cooked for surprisingly good prices. I had a two meat, three veg recipe and sold it for 49rupees. Sold a couple more things and was just able to afford the first purchaseable armor.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My only weird controller thing is I keep holding L when I want to change weapons and keep holding right on the d pad when I want to change powers. I don't know why I keep doing it!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have found for detaching stuff rotating my stick in a circle a couple times(like throwing Bowser) works better than just wiggling it and makes you less likely to accidentally toss the thing it was attached to

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

After I landed on the surface I found myself avoiding all combat at first, and I realized the reason was in my head I was thinking "I don't want them to know Link is still alive" like worried they'd recognize me and tell Ganon lol. After I got a new set of clothes I started engaging with enemy encampments and taking them out though

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phenotype posted:

Played a few hours last night and for some reason it's not quite grabbing me yet. Still not off the newbie plateau, though, but I feel like I'm really struggling with the controls. A big one isn't even specific to the game -- on every other console ever, the bottom button means OK and the right button means Cancel, but Nintendo decided they could just reverse it for no reason so I'm constantly fumbling with stuff because I'm trained to hit the OK button when I want to cancel something. And I dunno, Y button for swinging doesn't feel good, and I still haven't figured out how to do the little side-hop or backflip when you lock onto an enemy, so combat feels really mushy. Even when locked on and walking to the side, X seems to do a hop straight up for some reason, and then makes you come to a complete stop when you land.

Gonna jump back in pretty soon, see if it clicks with me eventually. Was a bit disappointed last night, though -- I played after work until it was time to feed the dog and cat, and then I figured I might as well make my own dinner too, and then meh, I ended up not turning the Switch back on and just watched TV and played some more League of Legends ARAMs like a degenerate.

On Nintendo the right button has been confirm and the bottom button cancel since 1991. On Playstation the bottom button was cancel and right button was confirm... in Japan. This didn't change all the way to PS4. Only Sony America swapped it and made X confirm and O cancel. They are the backwards one.

Nintendo did not flip it, Nintendo's has always been correct.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Best things to sell for money at least early game are cooked meals, do a little hunting and you can make some money

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The lead up to the wind temple is probably the coolest couple hours of Zelda I've ever played

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I forgot to take a photo of the first boss for the compendium. Hope there's ways to get that photo later.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phenotype posted:

Oh! How the hell are you supposed to get out of a well? I dropped down one and ended up teleporting out.

Everybody forgets they have ascend

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Verdugo posted:

Ultrahand shenanigans - first dungeon. Had to get a chest out of a room in the first shrine, but it was too far to grab with ultrahand. So I glued three icicles together, poked it through the chest sized hole, and was able to fish it out of there. Like putting bubblegum on a string to fish keys out of a sewer grate.

Also, busted out laughing when I saw this

I did almost the same thing, except I glued the icicle to it and then used recall on the icicle

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Augus posted:

I found a cave with a shrine puzzle in it that I’m pretty sure I just flat-out need Zora Armor to solve. Waterfall coming out of a hole in the ceiling, ceiling is too curved for ascend (believe me, I tried to find a spot they overlooked), I tried making ice platforms and then recalling them up but the waterfall would push me down. I could probably put some monstrosity with ultrahand to get up there but it would take a while. I’m surprised, both that the game is willing to say “hey come back here later” with some things, and also that they managed to lock this place up so securely given the amount of tools you have in this game

I don't think any shrine has anything that can't be solved without the items contained within it. Except I needed a couple arrows in one once.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phenotype posted:

How come my stable is already full of max bond horses with high stats? I just boarded the horse that I tamed so I could teleport near another stable and pick him up, and there's like 4 more horses in there that put him to shame.

Those are your horses from Breath of the Wild

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You attach the planks to the hubcaps of the wheels to make a paddle boat

Lol o just attached the planks to the tire itself going forward and that worked, the plank was long enough it kept hitting the floor and making the vehicle go forward

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Had a genius idea to fuse a glider to my shield.

Unfortunately I do not think it did anything. I thought maybe shield surfing with it would make you slowly glide down or make you more maneuverable while skydiving, but unfortunately it does nothing.

That said it's still my default shield cause it looks cool as gently caress on Link's back.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just found a shrine that's entire premise was "You are naked, build a killdozer and mow down some robots". Love this game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Steve Yun posted:

Three fans was probably enough velocity. I tried with two fans and two mine carts thinking the rigidity of two mine carts would be enough to get it across and it fell

There’s a really good game makers toolkit episode on YouTube where he talks about how developers will lay out an obvious solution that’s set up to fail in order to make you think harder to get to the real solution. That broken rail really sticks out to me as the best “invisible” tutorial in the game so far

I did two fans and three carts, which worked, but barely and in a funny way

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CapnAndy posted:

Yesterday I was loving around and then I saw a horse glowing in the dark, so I immediately dropped the other stuff because hey -- glowy horse! So I tamed it (with the help of a stamina elixir, it was rough) and it only had three spurs, but still, glowy horse, so I wanted it, so I went to the nearest road with the intent of traveling it until I found a stable.

Turns out there was a stable right there, and when I pulled up on the horse they went "oh, hey, you found Princess Zelda's horse! We had a whole sidequest for you about that, but okay, here are the rewards and you get to keep the horse, good job I guess". So I named it Horseda.

Now how you gonna get that horse underground

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CapnAndy posted:

See, you say that, and now I find myself wondering, what if I glue a wing and some fans onto the bridle pull thing? Horse can't refuse to jump down if I levitate it over the hole.

I'm thinking stabilizer to make a plank over the hole, stone slab with some gizmo to slow it's descent, attached to a wooden plank over the hole which you make your house walk over with zl. Then when you are standing your horse on the stone slab, you shoot a fire arrow at the wood plank, destroying it and freeing the slab you're on to fall. Then another arrow to activate your slow fall zonai device that the thing you are standing on is attached to

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't know how you could think there isn't a glider in the game, it was in literally e ery gameplay trailer and commercial.. Maybe you could think it is optional or you just get it later, but I don't know how you could think they took it out.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think there should be any romance in this Zelda game but I do think they should gently caress, and here's the twist, and there is a twist.

We show it.

We show all of it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You can't autobuild a usable weapon

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Thundercracker posted:

The battlebots shrine owned.

How did you beat it. I barely could. All the parts were past the enemies and I couldn't actually it anything together or pick it up in time with like five guys chasing me. I ended up picking up a flamethrower and hiding in the corner and fending them off as they rushed me, I didn't get to use cool battle bots except on the first guy

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hated the Yiga clan in BotW, but in TotK they are my favorite. Whoever decided to basically make them Team Rocket was a genius

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pirate Radar posted:

The vehicles are fun but when I see someone in the world I can already tell is Yiga I often ignore them. No rear end in a top hat I don’t need to fight your teleporting poo poo right now. Also I know it’s you.

Link is probably pretty paranoid about Yiga by now considering they are basically gangstalking him

I'm just glad they don't randomly teleport in to fight you every five minutes. Or at least they aren't doing that to me so far, I hope I don't get to some story point where they do that

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

For button mapping, I would want jumping on A and sprinting on X. Then you could run and jump with a Mario layout. Also in every single Zelda game but these you press down and A to do a backflip or left and A for sidehop. I STILL try it every time and get smacked around. 2 games, 200 hours, I have not remapped my brain to use X or B to jump in combat. Can't do it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Also you can attach a fire element to your weapon or shield and equip it and link will stay warm. In the heat you can do the opposite.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm tracking down memories right now going by the map I took a picture of, and the fifth one is near the desert. I can see where it is and tried looking at it from a skyview tower jump but I don't see a filled in tear anywhere. Do you have to approach from a certain angle for the tear to glow?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This one is gigantic and on a multitieted mountain, it will take forever to scope on foot

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Natural 20 posted:

I think it's a little different from Botw in that seeing Impa in that game feels relatively analogous to going to the castle and coming back in Totk.

After you've done that in botw you're set, there's nothing else that's important.

Here:

Hestu is on the way to the Rito village instead of on the way to the castle.

Autobuild requires that you either rng find it in the depths or beat a phenomena.

Great fairies require that you go as far as the press office near the Rito village as well.

So broadly, if you don't go to a specific regional phenomena early and first, a lot of the functionality for upgrades in the game stays locked.

And I think that fights against the freedom that Totk otherwise wants to evoke.

Emotionally that regional phenomena is where I wanted to go first because it seemed out of all of them they were at imminent risk of death and starvation. And most of the characters you talk to will keep mentioning it, saying they had heard about how bad it was out there.

auto build while you won't get a specific quest for it until you beat a phenomena, if you do the preceding quest, characters down there will point out how the statue seems to be pointing to another statue and be like "hmmm, that is interesting". It is definitely hinted as being worth pursuing.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 19, 2023

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's the beauty of it, you don't even have to use your own rock hammers, they're all carrying

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

At three beginning of this game I was just trying to survive.

Then I was trying to save the Rito. I've got fifteen hearts now, I've got the master sword, I'm about to save the Goron. I've got armor upgraded three times in a lot of cases and I've got a lot of monster parts to put on my blades.

So I've decided now is the time to take Hyrule back. I'm going to start hunting down these monster camps and breaking up the big ones that go away permanently.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I am trying to get a naydras claw but I have no idea why nothing is working. I'm riding this dude and I try shooting arrows into his claws and nothing happens

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I am trying to get a naydras claw but I have no idea why nothing is working. I'm riding this dude and I try shooting arrows into his claws and nothing happens

Never mind, a dragon had to be glowing to hit it for parts. I had already hit its back. I gotta wait ten minutes for this sucker to recharge!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Has anybody made a build where it has a battery but the battery is load bearing so when it bursts there's like a saucer separation? When you make a build do the batteries burst in the order you put them on our any predictable order?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I keep seeing people in this thread and also in general guides on YouTube tell people that to purchase crystallized charges go back to the sky Island, buy all the vendors charges, then go rest somewhere else and return so he restocks.

Got the love of God do not do this. There are a myriad of better forges in the world to buy crystallized charges at that stock more.

Also don't go up to the sky Island to buy more battery cells, there is a vendor like ten feet north of Lookout point. You can see him from the gate.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

All the glitches in this game work in the players favor. There are just new ones being discovered all the time and none of them game breaking or detrimental, just nice little treats for players who don't want to farm something or want to get around a little faster.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I did around an hour of the new duplication trick and found out if you try to do it with bomb flowers from any height above 1’ or so they blow up.

And if you didn’t save in that time all your progress is gone :v:

Fire chus do the same thing by the way, though not as damaging.

Dupe some fairies first to be safe lol

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'm salty that they made the old amiibo armor Officially Obtainable In Game but you still can't dye it

(I'm more salty that you can't use the Fashionista to transmog armor)

Wait, transmog?

Does that mean the game has a feature where your outer clothes can look like a different set than the bonus you're getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Captain Hygiene posted:

You can crouch walk around them all day long and they won't care, as far as I know!

Yeah fairies don't care if they see you, they just get freaked out and run away if you make any sudden movements. You can even move slowly without issue.