Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Does this game use HD rumble in any neat ways? I'm wondering if I should go through the trouble of fixing the drift on my Pro Controller or if I should just buy it now and play with my driftless 8BitDo Ultimate controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Just finished it with ~80%. I think the only quest I didn't bother completing was the compendium, the last one I finished was the wells one because that lady is just so pumped up about wells I'd feel bad if I didn't finish it. Patricia only gives me coordinates for the final battle so I think I got all the sidequests covered.

I don't think I enjoyed it as much as my BotW experience a couple years ago, but that's not to say I didn't have a great time with it. I liked the depths as a concept since falling in love with Made in Abyss's concept, and being able to have fun doing delver stuff is just as cool as you'd expect when it's being made by developers without a piss fetish. I didn't catch on to the depths being an inverted overworld map until way late, and it was even later that I realized lightroots were below shrines, and had their names written in backwards. Same thing with named forests being groves, I had no idea groves had special treasure, I avoided them whenever i could because of those fuckin' angry trees. Only when an X from a map guided me there I realized I had to check what I missed at all the other named spots.

Can someone gimme a page for the timeline discussion nerds that's probably happened already, it seems like the events in the past were sort of a retelling of OoT, which I thought was kind of cool.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Like how every mine has a chest, every named grove has a treasure inside a big bowl shaped tree trunk. You can usually pick them out on the map once you know what you're looking for, they're the C shaped features in groves. Usually have just a big crystalline charge, but I've found outfit parts in a bunch of them.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

They sorta did it with the Death Mountain area and parts of the Gerudo depths, but yeah it's pretty samey. I'm glad I didn't realize what the deal was with the depths until like 200 hours in so there was plenty of darkness to keep me on my toes, but once I realized what was going on I spent a solid week on an expedition from lightroot to lightroot all on foot which was pretty fun. After finishing up I finally used the Hero's Path and found that yeah, compared to the surface there just wasn't a lot trying to grab hold of my curiosity like on the surface to entice me to explore past specific points of interest. Overworld was squiggles all over the place, while the depths was more connect the dots.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The neat thing is they aren't random, any place with lava in the depths had some sort of hot spring that would heal you on the surface.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Inferior Third Season posted:

Speaking of decorations, was there anything interesting to do with the flower garland in Kakariko?

It's part of helping out one of the Gerudo ladies attending the Voe and You class in Gerudo Town.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

If it's the one I'm thinking of, one of Misko's treasures is at the Ancient Columns, where you're told the switch to open the door is hidden on top of one of said columns. There's a lightning gleeok very close by so if you're fumbling around it might getcha.

Not So Fast posted:

Are folks not checking progress using online maps? I dunno how I'd bother finding all the caves otherwise.

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/tears-of-the-kingdom-interactive-map

There's plenty of ways to find them in-game that doesn't require a guide:

- Talk to Koltin
- Set your sensor+ to Blupees or Bubbulfrogs
- Make an offering at a sakura tree

I finished the game completely blind with the HUD turned off and never felt like anything was too hard to find.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Is there a proper end to the side story of the weird lady with the sand seal stuffies or is she just in a couple random places to run her little minigame? I want the kids in Hateno village to get their seal toys.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Docjowles posted:

I could not for the life of me figure out the one where you’re supposed to entice a dog to lead you to the chest. No matter how much meat and fruit I shoved down his gullet he would turn around and go back to his tent halfway through. Got mad and ended up brute forcing like 30 chests which still took less time than I spent on the drat dog lol

That one felt like it was bugged. When you give dogs enough food they do a specific animation to let you know they're satisfied and they lead you straight to a treasure. Other dogs are usually satisfied after giving them four or five raw meats, but that one didn't trigger until I gave him like forty. At first I thought I was just giving him a few steaks and watching where he walks, but that actually doesn't mean anything. It's kind of misleading if you don't know about the animation.

bawk posted:

not possible, they're attached to my shields and sticks.

You monster

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

I beg your pardon :crossarms:

Yeah what the gently caress

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

Okay, Give It a Break, Buddy Tier
All stable points (not difficult but who cares)
All wells
All bubbulfrogs
All Monster Hunt bosses

It comes down to motivation for me. The well lady has a neat if slightly offbeat hobby so I definitely want to help her out and chat about wells. Addison strikes me as one of those weirdos who are obsessed with CEOs so I'll help him when I see him because I enjoy the puzzle and I want the poor guy to go inside. Koltin just freaks me out so the less I have to talk to him the better.

Now that I've finished the game I think I'm going to actively do the monster hunt to get some more exploration in, and I'm sure that'll lead to other stuff on the list getting done at the same time. Just looking for wells led me to so many Korok seeds, Hudson signs and other things I somehow missed. I'm at around 600 Korok seeds by just checking out anything that catches my eye while travelling. I don't get people who are mad about how "grindy" the game is when they're just trying to max stuff out and do lists as fast as possible just for the sake of being a completionist. You don't have to do it if you don't want to!

Is there actually a point where you don't get stable points any more? I figured after getting the 50% off discount you just get a rotation of veggies so I started using my huge stockpile of sleepover tickets.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I really liked the 3 ball one, it took me a while but I managed it with the L-S-M combo. I got to the shrine where you have to do something similar with ice over spikes and was happy about being able to do some curling in a Zelda game. I was expecting it to take a while to do the bonus part for the chest where you have to curve it around a bend; on one try the rock didn't quite reach the end and got stuck so a new one wasn't spawning. I fired a bomb arrow at it to knock it into the void and was so disappointed when the explosion triggered the target switch.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Asterite34 posted:

That one was a real bastard until I realized you can hit the ice block with Recall while it's sliding near the goal to halt all its forward momentum and have it just gently slide downhill, no bank-shot needed

But where's the fun in that!

Manoueverable posted:

Oh god dammit and then you do the same thing to move it across the water, I just realized that now :ughh:

You can use paddles for that? I tried that for my first attempt and it... didn't go well

I found this way to be much more elegant

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Klungar posted:

What is the name of the "three ball shrine"? I remember a shrine with three balls you need to fuse together in different ways to be able to jump across a series of gaps, but it doesn't sound like the one people mean.

Iun-orok shrine it has target switches at the end of various ramps you drop a ball/series of balls down. The first one is a simple downhill slope, but they get trickier to the point where the last one is an S-shaped curve leading to a target. By attaching balls of various sizes together and in certain ways, it makes the path of the balls take curving trajectories. It really appealed to my mathematician side.

Captain Hygiene posted:

:v:
I did it with one board on each side, centered on the outside of the wheels. It flops bit but works fine. Your second solution is much cleverer, though.

Ahahaha, that would have been way less cumbersome with a lot of stuff I built. I don't know why I never thought of not just attaching stuff to the radius.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Asterite34 posted:

Gerudo's Mod

It should be run by the two Gerudo who build racing machines.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Kind of disappointed that they didn't do a Link's Awakening and have goombas as guest enemies in the depths. Gloombas.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I think one of my biggest complaints about the game is that getting the Master Sword isn't the big oh-poo poo gamechanger it felt like in BotW. The Guardians were cool as hell as both enemies and gatekeepers, and before getting the sword I treated my handful of ancient arrows as AT ammo for when I absolutely needed to take one out in desperation. After getting it though I felt so goddamn powerful going toe to toe with those guys, slicing off their legs one by one and the sound and flash it made when making impact while glowing was magnificent.

The closest to that in TotK were gloomspawn and the second phase after you take out the hands just didn't feel like the cool giant-killing battles with the Guardians. I ended up mostly saving the sword for those battles and other ones that have unique dialogue when you wield it, like with the monster control crews.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Mymla posted:

I agree that the guardians were really cool enemies but like, you don't need the master sword to kill them. You can just shoot them in the eye or reflect a laser beam and spin them down with a regular claymore or whatever.

I know it's not needed, but it's an example of a before/after situation with the sword where I felt way more powerful after getting it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Alxprit posted:

gyro aiming is so good I don't get how it frustrates so many...

The most annoying thing is when I'm carrying something I made and I shiver or rest my arm on my knee when I'm lightly bouncing it and my contraption falls apart.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Was I the only one who dropped them all from the surface before going down and grabbing all of them to do it in one big delivery?

https://burningjustice.net/sa/bargainer_eyes.mp4

I was still getting the hang of building things, okay. It worked out in the end!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

In my defense, it was dark and I was scared. Those mine cart tracks could have gone anywhere!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

Gotta respect the shrine completion award for being something you immediately want to return, rather than the other ones which are merely wastes of space

What, you didn't appreciate the fursuit?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I thought it was really cool but somehow I managed to get through it with no bugs or hiccups. I didn't start playing at launch so I'd like to say it's been fixed in a patch, but people are clearly still having issues.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

For anyone else who also did that part early unintentionally it unlocks a short quest chain starting in Kakariko village that you might want to check out before doing the final story quest.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

So, like, what does the Horned Statue god do with the profit he makes whenever I tamper with my essence? The bargainers tell us upfront what the poes are for, but I don't see a lot of shops where the horned god is holed up. Maybe he gives the rupees to Jerrin to buy him snacks.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I bet this guy doesn't even know about Ripened Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love.

quote:

Similar to Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, the game starts with an ordinary, 35-year-old man. While he watches a sales program on television, the man learns of a book called "Ripened Valiant Heroes Balloon Trip of Love". It is a story about a hero that leaves his parents to save a princess. The book, which normally costs 4800 Rupees, is being offered for only 2 Rupees. He orders the book, but he gets sucked into the world of a picture book when he opens it and transforms into Tingle. He learns that the only way to get out of the book is to dance with the princess of this world, which is the main goal of the game.

Tingle gets to know three new helpful friends in the world inspired by characters from The Wizard of Oz: Kakashi the scarecrow, Buriki the tin woman, and Lion the lion. The cheerful Kakashi is small and therefore he is able to get into small spaces, while Buriki is very intelligent and the cowardly Lion is notable for his strength. Tingle has to wisely use the abilities of his friends in order to solve the puzzles.

A central gameplay element is the romantic communication with female characters. To complete the game, Tingle has to have some form of relationship with each of the five available girls. To raise the girl's affections, he must enter the "Love Push" mode, and attempt to raise their "love meters". He does this by giving them gifts, where each gift has a different effect on each girl. Most gifts are purchased from Loveya for a certain amount Rupees, but there are some items which may be found laying around in various places.

Kooloo Limpah!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I thought the only one was in the Gleeok Den in the depths which I planned on avoiding until I got stronger. When I got a monster control quest about "something dropping rocks from the sky in northwest Hyrule" I flew over to the most northwesterly arena-looking island thinking I'd just be fighting a Flux Construct. Needless to say I was incredibly unprepared, but I spent all that time going over there so I stuck it out. Used up a bunch of powerful monster parts I was saving but I figured this was as good a time as any to go all out.

In the end I don't think it was even the correct monster for the quest.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I like to throw splash fruit at the igneous ones, the sizzling as it cools down is so satisfying.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Greens alone are not nearly hearty enough for a vegetable curry. Although now that I think about it there aren't any potatoes in Hyrule, what the gently caress?!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

That's what I used and it seemed pretty effective. Maybe it's because I did that temple last but I thought Mucktorok was adorable with its goofy little run and boss music.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Chieves posted:

I DO feel like there are fewer types of Korok puzzles in TOTK, but that may just because I'm an idiot and haven't noticed them!

Backpacks
Under rocks
In trees
Pots (under bridges or in tree knots)
Ringing bells
Corks
Iron Pattern Matching
Rock Pattern Matching
Fly to a Ring
Land on a Target
Touch a thing on the side of a surface
Touch the glowy object
Ascend at a spot
Dive for a light
Dive into water
Shoot balloons
Apple Offering
What else?

When you see statues out in the open in ruined sheds, there's usually some plywood nearby. Sometimes it's shaped to fit, but it can also just be whatever plywood is hanging around. Putting a roof over the statues reveals a korok.
Piles of dead leaves usually have a korok rock underneath, all you have to do is burn them away.
There are little trees with no leaves with three branches sticking out. Nestling a boulder in there reveals a korok.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

This talk reminded me of the one Gerudo lady in BotW who has a dummy of a male set up in her house to practice talking to :3:

I think they have those same dummies set up in the evening "how to talk to Vai" classes in TotK too?

Yeah, and if you want to listen in to the children's class during the day you put on the desert voe set and sneak onto one of the pedestals so they think you're a practice dummy.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Hestu should have given you a discount for shaking your controller like maracas while the dance happens.

I still did it anyways but a reward for us Hestu friends might show the dance-skippers the light.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I've played for hundreds of hours and am nowhere close to maxing out the battery. Not a realistic way to solve this problem.

Are you not doing anything in the depths, I have more crystallized charges than I know what to do with and I definitely maxed out my battery before I hit 200 hours. Granted, I never spent zonaite on autobuild so maybe that burns through resources if you don't like playing the capsule gacha for whatever reason.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Minibosses drop crystallized charges, and large ones can be found in a bunch of chests in groves and smaller mines. Yiga bases always have one next to the schematic, and bosses usually guard a huge one worth 100.

Additionally, every major mine has a forge construct, so you don't have to wait for one to restock if you have a bunch of zonaite burning a hole in your pocket.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Murdstone posted:

I just past play the game and have fun.

This is all I did, and I didn't read or watch anything online about the game until I beat it. Didn't get so much as a single YouTube recommendation since I was avoiding it so much. I just wandered around and explored whatever caught my fancy or looked interesting, beating up monsters and smashing up rocks along the way. Nothing close to what anyone would call optimized, especially since I had the HUD turned off and didn't use the hero's path in the Purah pad until the very end of the game, since I wanted to remember places by the landscape rather than waypoints and lines on a map. Maybe it's because I did most of my exploring on foot instead of using vehicles in the depths? I can see missing a lot of stuff if you're dashing straight from point A to B on a hoverbike.

As for arrows I had the same issue until I started breaking boxes. It feels like most of the time you're only getting single arrows, but it definitely adds up, especially with the 5x and 10x bundles. I went from always being under a hundred to never going below 500 arrows once I started doing that. I also always bought arrows from shops once I had a decent income, gotta do my part to help out the local economy. If you're short on cash, there's also someone in Rito village that trades fish for arrows at a decent rate.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Kind of curious about other peoples' path maps to see if they look any different depending on playstyle. 285 hours according to my profile.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I haven't done rigorous testing but I think if the camera doesn't also have to phase through an object, you don't get a loading screen.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I called the frog suit the pervert outfit for the longest time because it has those gross shoes with individual toes.

Then I got the Tingle outfit that gives you a speed bonus at night for creeping in the dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

dodgeblan posted:

sages masks

yeah kind of weird that the sages masks don't really amount to anything other than being a reference to the divine beasts I think?

While wearing it they increase the attack power and possibly the recharge time of the sage in question. You see the sage-ghost also wearing the mask when you have it on.