Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i wonder if you can use the ascend ability to get to the sky islands

that would be fun, but also kinda easy

If abilities can be upgraded to be more powerful I could see this happening late game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I think the best way to do it would be to unlock upgrades or abilities that help you do things easier or quicker but aren't 100% required.
Revalis gale was a great example (even though the other champion abilities were lacking)
The upgraded bombs/stasis runes would have been another good "dungeon item" that was wasted on a super easy "bring me materials" fetch quest

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

tsob posted:

Disagree. Mipha's Grace was a godsend for some of the Divine Beast boss fights for a baby gamer, and even just for trundling around if you made a silly mistake. Or just wanted to jump from exceptional heights with less stamina than required to glide and could let her heal eat the damage. Urbosa's Rage and Daruk's Protection were generally handy for more annoying mob fights too.

I'm not saying they aren't useful and make combat less of a struggle, I'm saying Revali's Gale sped up progress a lot, is miles away the best champion ability and is a better representation of what I think "dungeon items" should be like

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Blaziken386 posted:

each of the seven dungeons will have one condescending birdman ghost in them

actually speaking of movement abilities, given that they've gone on record saying that funny flying machine glitches were one of the things that inspired them, it'd be funny if the game was like "here's a movement ability thats literally just windbomb"

As long as it isn't a pain in the rear end to do like they are in BOTW I'm all for it. I find BLSS way easier and just run/glide/Revali over to something if I miss the windbomb

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

quiggy posted:

When did we see Hateno? Like I'm not doubting you I just don't remember

There's a shot in one of the trailers overlooking the lab (and town from a distance)

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I don't think I would ever play OoT again without the QOL and enhancements from the 3DS version or Ship of Harkinian at the very least

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Between BOTW release and TOTK release I met my wife, got married to her, had a baby, and that baby is now almost 2 years old

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

goethe.cx posted:

we want Zant! we want Zant!

there's a zant-like link costume in the art book

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

precision posted:

Okay so I've done 13 shrines, found a horse, visited kakariko village, climbed 4 towers, got several good swords, and I've only found 2 of the seed things.

I'm avoiding spoilers but I briefly saw online that there are, lol, 900 seeds???

Am I really this stupid

Once you learn the different "types" of koroks you'll find them everywhere

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Upsidads posted:

OY
WHATS THIS
Nintendo just posted it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXtPO2X1pXQ
"Introducing BOTW"

Looks like a plot summary?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

tsob posted:

This is a pretty common sentiment, but why do the Divine Beasts not count as traditional dungeons in Breath of the Wild? They're certainly as big and involved as a lot of Zelda dungeons, they have a map you have to unlock, you get something from each to help with the rest of the game in the champion's power and personal weapons etc. It just seems weird to me that people act like the game had no dungeons :confused:

I think my complaints, and most people's complaints are that the beasts feel too "same-y" in progress, style, and overall vibe; are relatively short; and have bosses and enemies that also feel that way in look and combat. They also feel similar to shrines in puzzle type and aesthetic so it just gives more of that boredom. Little of the lock&key progress you find in typical dungeons is present as well. In fact, there are shrines that feel more like traditional Zelda dungeons in both size and scope.
Compare that to something like OoT or TP where every dungeon genuinely feels like a different place.

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 22, 2023

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

tsob posted:

Which shrines are actually larger than any of the Divine Beasts? The only ones I can think of are Eventide Island or the Labyrinths, and even then (a) that's only a maybe and probably more importantly (b) the vast majority of them aren't actually a shrine, but a puzzle to get into the shrine. The shrines themselves are roughly the same size as most any other, and it's just an automatic win once you get in because getting in was the puzzle. There's not even that much to them in terms of actual mechanics, and Eventide for instance is only really difficult because you lose all your gear when you get there. Beyond that there are a couple of shrines where you have to roam around the overworld doing fetch quests to unlock the entrance. Which I wouldn't say makes the shrines themselves bigger either.
Trial of Power and Blue Flame are what comes to mind, but there might be 1 or 2 others (specifically some of the DLC ones were quite long too).

quote:

Not to be dismissive, but the majority of your argument seems to come down to "they don't count as dungeons because I don't like them", which I don't think is really a good argument. Sure, you are certainly entitled to not like them, but not liking them does not actually make them not dungeons in and of itself. I'd also add that the majority of Zelda dungeons have quite similar progressions. The actual aesthetic, enemies and lore definitely are different, but the general path of progress in each is often very similar i.e. get the map, compass and unique item to unlock the boss key using the one path through the dungeon that the developers intended using small keys to unlock doors or using the unique item to bypass obstacles and then go fight the boss. Unless you only count actual physical keys as lock and key puzzles then the Divine Beasts aren't even that different, because most of the puzzle in them is navigating the one path the developers intended by using the unique element of that Divine Beast to unlock the path forward, so you can defeat the boss. Which includes finding a map so you can navigate your way around the place. The fact they share an aesthetic for lore reasons within the story just makes them mildly different to other games in terms of dungeon structure though, and not actually not dungeons.
I'm not saying "they don't count as dungeons" and I'm also not saying that I don't like them. What I'm saying (and most people critical of the divine beasts) is they aren't "traditional Zelda dungeons" in the way that most mainline games contained starting with A Link to the Past.
Overall length - even the longer Vah Naboris and Divine Trial are on the shorter side compared to something like Snowpeak Ruins
Lock & Key - other than the usual small or big keys, the dungeon item itself is usually a key in the traditional dungeon structure. You typically come up against obstacles in the dungeon that are impassible until you obtain the dungeon item. Likewise there are other "key-like" elements that work similarly, like the ball in Link's Awakening's Eagle's Tower or the monkeys in TP's Forest Temple. The map/beast controls attempted to work in this way, but it can be obtained almost immediately after you enter the beast, without any real "initial challenge" getting to it (exception being maybe Vah Rudania). Most puzzles lead to a console with little linear progression (depth) to give the freedom of tackling things in the order you want (breadth).
The aesthetics and theming is HUGE and would have gone a long way to improve the feel of the Divine Beasts. I mentioned above, all of the bosses feel "samey" where every other Zelda game the bosses are unique mechanically and aesthetically. The Water Temple and Shadow Temple actually look like different places. They have different music and textures. The only thing that makes the Divine Beasts noticably different is the layout and the occasional look out the window.

quote:

I'd say that they are pretty clearly meant to be the games actual dungeons, as opposed to the shrines, which are just a myriad of smaller puzzles. I can certainly see an argument that making them so similar was a misstep or that someone just doesn't like them, but again, it just seems weird to me to say the game doesn't actually have dungeons at all when the Divine Beasts exist.

Most people think that BOTW would have been better served with either more or longer divine beasts and fewer (or more meaningful) shrines. Pull some shrine puzzles into the Beasts to extend their length, or combine a bunch of smaller shrines to make longer ones.

I just want to reiterate. I don't think the argument is really "there are no dungeons" it's either "they don't feel like dungeons", "they aren't traditional Zelda dungeons"

edit: I'm basically saying this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GudeeRVNo5U (this series is very good at analyzing Zelda dungeon design overall)

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 22, 2023

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

People don’t like them because they’re all puzzlebox dungeons the same way the oot water temple is.

Also if we’re going by length, oot dungeons don’t count anymore, so lmao.

They're all puzzle boxes sure, and that's A reason people don't like them, but not the only one, as I clearly pointed out in my post.

I'd take 4 water temples over the 4 divine beasts any day as long as I can put my iron boots on a button

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Fish Appreciator posted:

Not a deal breaker question, but a pretty huge thing I wanna know about, even moreso that dungeons: Have any of the previews revealed if you can fuse materials to weapons to repair them, or even fuse weapons to each other, or is weapon degradation just identical to BotW?

As far as it seems, if you fuse something to a weapon it resets the durability, but you can't keep fusing over and over, just 2 base items together

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

"Gfinity"? gave it a 6/10
FAIL

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

VanillaGorilla posted:

I really want to love this - I loved BOTW. But it feels like they’ve hacked the difficulty up to an insane degree and the game just feels like overtly hostile in a way the first one didn’t.

Everything kills you in like two hits, max. Every action takes like 8 button presses. Every time I turn a corner there’s some loving horror ready to tear me a new rear end in a top hat.

Like I appreciate maybe Aonuma wanted to make Nintendo dark souls or whatever but it doesn’t really feel much like a Zelda game anymore.

If you're approaching combat like you did in BOTW you're gonna get wrecked. If you use your new tools then it's super easy, and actually feels more Zelda-like than every "spin-to-win" fight in BOTW.
I don't know what you're fighting that's killing you in 2 hits other than world bosses either

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

HellOnEarth posted:

Such as?

Seriously. I’m having fun but I’m getting my rear end kicked every other fight. I’m just not good at this kind of thinking…

At least it’s forcing me to finally get good at perfect dodges and flurry rushing. I need some advice for doing cool poo poo.

Fuse every weapon, fuse nearly every arrow with something - approach fights from a distance and use arrows. This game showers you with arrows unlike BOTW.
Recall can be ridiculous in certain combat situations.
Using the right TYPE of weapon against the right enemies. The difference between spears, 2handers, and 1 handers is much more noticeable in this game, as is the difference between axes, hammers, and swords. Different fuse and base weapons have different lengths even, so if you're going face to face with a moblin with a dagger, well...

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

Game is an absolute masterpiece and well worth staying unspoiled for. I hit one of those bouncy towers right before a blood moon and it was the coolest poo poo ever.

One thing I'd like to learn to avoid is seeing the dragon's tears memories out of order. I accidentally found memory 10 right after seeing memory 1 with Impa and now I'm kind of bummed, I don't know how you can ensure that you see them in order aside from looking up guides which I'm not keen to do.

If you go where Impa says she's going you'll find something that shows you the order

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

Oh right, is it the order they appear in on the walls?

Yeah clockwise from the left

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Also talking about rewind, found this. New meta incoming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SNcR5qobuo

It's all about the giant dongs in this game

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Frankston posted:

120 hours in and still no sign of Kass. I'm starting to suspect he might not be in the game at all :ohdear:

After you finish the stable quest chain Traysi says Penn took off up north to go chill with someone, context clues say this is presumably with whom

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Updog Scully posted:

Side note, anyone else constantly stuck in arrow poverty? Like, where can a guy get some arrows around here?

Crate and Barrel

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

https://twitter.com/TopherKern/status/1659944837351866370

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Inadequately posted:

I went ahead and got them all for the sake of completion.

The Great Eagle Bow is a slightly weaker Savage Lynel Bow made of wood (28x3 vs 32x3), doesn't seem to have any advantages if you're capable of taking down White-Maned Lynels for the latter. The Boulder Breaker doesn't really seem to have anything special going for it, I guess it might be real good at mining and breaking rocks but why would you use a champion weapon for that? The Lightscale Trident is decent because it doubles damage when wet so you can get very high damage out of it by using Sidon's sage power mid-combat. The Scimitar of the Seven is probably the strongest off the bat because it has the Gerudo weapon trait of 'doubles damage of fused item' so it gets very strong with a decent monster horn, but it comes with a set with the Daybreaker shield which you need a Gerudo shield to make, and doesn't seem to be anything special shield-wise.

boulder breaker is the highest base damage on a weapon that I've seen, but you could just buy fierce deity swords with poes for the same numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I am rocking a fully upgraded champions tunic and diamond headband. Presuming I'm not looking for a set bonus is Soldiers greaves going to be my best option for pants? Or do you get a pants anywhere with as good a defense but a little bit something extra in it?

I was surprised the diamond headband had as good a defense as the soldier helm(while but looking stupid, too bad it doesn't show links cool new hair though)
zonaite set level 4 is 28 for each piece