Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Can't wait to ascend up a huge mountain and emerge face first into a Lynel's balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Popete posted:

After playing for years I'm finally almost finished with BotW, just in time!

Ditto, my save file was just Revali's Gale, a bunch of shrines, and all the armor upgrades I could manage lol. I've knocked out the other beasts and now I'm sweeping through the castle picking up side quests before I go in for Ganon.

My guardian laser parry game got so weak after not playing for awhile and the castle Lynel absolutely trounced me.

I'm just worried once I get used to TotK I won't want to go back to BotW for awhile so I want that star on my save file.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I finally beat the game and my kit was the fully upgraded Barbarian armor for the attack boost and along with the master sword and champion abilities it wasn't really a difficult fight, which I appreciated. I also switched back to the champion's tunic for the final cutscene, even if meeting Zelda in a bone helm and loincloth is an equally stylish look.

So yeah, here's hoping I can do similar in TotK and spend a bunch of time noodling around and slowly upgrading my stuff to stomp the final boss, lol.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

FrickenMoron posted:

Where the gently caress are sunset fireflies, I fast travelled all across the map at night but I can't find any and I've seen them previously but can't remember where.

I spent a long time just wandering around the tutorial sky island and managed to get about a dozen of them through various night time cycles. I only just started the main plot of the game so I dunno where else they are, but it's a safe place to look for them.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Silly question about mechanics / lore implications. I was talking to a random NPC just as a dragon was flying by and doing the dragon wind stuff, and the NPC's dialogue was all about how sometimes they can feel a strange wind blowing around and they wondered what it could be. While the dragon was 50 yards away from us.

Do people suppose this just the NPC not having a program to react to dragons (likely) or can most common people just not see dragons (similar to koroks).

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also good reminder that from 11:30pm to midnight as a blood moon comes up all food you cook will receive a bonus to its effect / heal more.

Yeah! I don't mind how often the blood moon seems to happen because i can get a 5 heart dish out of a single tomato, it's a great time to stock up.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I love that I learned you can ride the dragons around. I just took a little tour on Farosh and got some parts off it, it passes super close to one of the towers near Gerudo and you can just drop down onto it. The cycle regens while you're standing on top of it -- in my case it was sometime after midnight then again around 4 pm I think -- so I managed three pieces before i got bored and hopped off.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

CJacobs posted:

Update, these are my new favorite characters, what a charming little sidequest.

I liked the other ones I did but the last one I did was the snow fields one and I failed a few times because the wagon got just a little too jostled around and when I was finally 10 yards away from the fountain I got hung up on a rock. I swear if I'd failed THERE Link was gonna drive us all over a cliff next try.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Some ladies in mushroom hats set me up and I got swarmed by horriblins in a cave but got the barbarian leg wraps so I guess I forgive them.

Is shrine completion really what scales up enemies in this game? I've been spending most of my time getting sky towers and picking up shrines here and there as I go, I don't really want to start my storyline playthrough with silver monsters.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

LifeSunDeath posted:

got my rear end blasted yesterday:

don't walk near a bomb plant with a flaming arrow nocked lol.

Related, but I've come across a few bomb plants that seem too close to a like like or ore deposit waiting for me to unknowingly smack with a hammer lol.

Also re: physics chat, I've made the engine angry a few times with ultrahand. Once I glued too many railcars together but they weren't perfectly aligned and the game had a big temper tantrum trying to snap them to the rail until it gave up.

Another time I'd misunderstood a shrine puzzle, glued a giant sphere to a spike, then tried to hit the ball with an improvised paddle / golf club. But the stone slab was forced between the ball and the spike without ungluing any of it right away and the slab started gyrating wildly before settling down.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

f#a# posted:

The 1-5 arrows you get from busting wooden boxes isn't worth the weapon durability it costs IMO though, so I haven't done much of that.

It takes a little longer but I've been picking up and dropping every crate to bust it open with ultrahand since the start of the game.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Icedude posted:

If you sneak up on a bokoblin with a backpack, you can steal the items directly out of their backpack :allears:

Tried to see if this worked with the bokoblin mask on for some easy materials, but they just keep turning to face me.

Also, man it's way too easy to dupe materials, lol.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

kidcoelacanth posted:

i do love that adding koltin to the game makes kilton feel like a normal dude

Some of my favorite NPCs this game, I love spotting the big purple balloon outside a town.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

CJacobs posted:

My favorite thing is to run around with the Ultrahand out til I grab the doofus-cube running the show. There's a satisfying amount of 'resistance' as you wiggle it free. :allears:

I thought that was the only strat until I saw a video of someone just climbing it and stabbing it in the face.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Does anyone know what the "defense up" buff from food actually does? Like does it reduce damage by a percentage? Does it add a flat amount to your def? How much?
It's the same mechanics as a 6 year old game so theoretically it should be well understood by now, but when I tried googling around I only found a bunch of godawful SEO'd clickfarming websites on "how to make elixir in botw". (I hate the modern internet.)

If it's the same as BOTW, then youtuber Croton did a good video breaking it all down a few years ago (timestamped to the armor and defense section)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac525uJwIew&t=566s

But essentially, defense boosting food / elixers are like adding an extra 4th piece of armor to Link. Level 1 adds 4 points of armor, level 2 adds 12 and level 3 adds 24. The number total on your armor is the amount subtracted from an enemy's attack -- here he uses a silver bokoblin hitting Link for 24 HP (or 6 hearts, because each heart counts as 4 HP), then compares it to wearing a helm with 8 points of defense leaving him to only take 4 hearts of damage.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I got the whole froggy armor set, so I'm gonna need a whole mess of sticky lizards to get the nonslip upgrade bonus. Is there an easier way to farm them than just wandering around through random caverns? I've been warping around to each stable since they all have wells to jump into, and I'm at one lizard in the first five locations :negative:

Maybe an obvious question but how are you actually catching these things? Shocking them?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

graventy posted:

I just shoot them with the bow.

You just reminded me when I watched someone else play and a lizard dropped down and impaled itself on environmental hazard spikes, lol.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Jose posted:

upgrading armour seems way harder/more expensive in this game than botw but it could just be my imagination. just the amount/what items are needed

I feel like I had an easier time in BOTW because I could upgrade the slate for the item finder sensor comparatively early on. It's trickier tracking down lizards and butterflies without it pinging me.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The game's pretty good about giving hints on finding things like leaving you diegetic maps so I thought I'd ask: Is there a starting trail or line of breadcrumbs to follow for the Zonaite outfit? I found the trousers in a chest in a sky island sphere, but nothing pointed me there aside from me thinking "I bet there's something good in there".

I guess I just want a yes or no answer on whether there's an in-game starting point. I'm trying to avoid looking up how to do everything before I even try for myself.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Nihonniboku posted:

Why don't they say that in the description? Annoying.

I would have liked for the upgrade to affect the cool down period, especially when I'm using Yunobu to blast open some of those endless rock walls in caves.

I remember Tulin says if Link wears it, it'll make him stronger too but agreed it should be in the description because you'll forget after 40 hours of play.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I know there's an object map for this game but I'm having trouble finding it. I just need to pick up a few more captain construct horns but I forget where I've seen them over the dozens of hours of gameplay.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Docjowles posted:

The faeries are one avenue for leveling up so you might wanna think about that if you feel underpowered. The difference between 0 star and 4 star armor is insane. Nothing short of like Lynels can hurt you anymore.

Through varying circumstances my only 4 star gear right now is my Miner's set and I'm looking forward to stomping around Hyrule as an unsquashable lightning bug.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Poque posted:

they're insanely easy to get lol. Just sleep til it's a non-rainy night and go into some specific forests wearing stealth gear and target them with sensor+

Yeah once I got stealth set and sensor+ the hardest part of gathering critters was getting photos of them in the first place.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I'd also stumbled on the draconification plot point super early which was a bummer. But I also had a theory that the process had split Zelda's soul from her body which Ganon had then taken over.

I really liked puppet Zelda though, because the voice actress sounded like she was having fun with the role.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I take back what I said about the game feeling less grindy if you let it unfold "naturally" in the case of the infamous "Call from the Depths" sidequest.

i just did this one and i'd heard so many stories of the eyes despawning after you drop them i put on my flight suit for no fall damage and just held them the whole way down lol

spoiling because i think some new players are still in the thread?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Docjowles posted:

I always forget to take advantage of that suit til the “you fuckin died idiot” jingle plays and I slap my forehead. I think it’s because it is such an insane ability it doesn’t even occur to me that you could simply become invincible

it's incredible for just a level 2 upgrade, it's my favorite new piece of kit

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

bawk posted:

I might be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure similar to the Koroks, only the pure of heart can see the dragons. Link rolling up to say "oh hey yeah that person who looks just like Zelda isn't Zelda, that's Zelda" *points at empty sky* would just make rock-eating sword-breaking Link look more insane.

yeah in TotK there's a part where an NPC is standing near a chasm by Kakariko where Naydra can show up and he'll remark on the breeze if she's passing by but can't see her at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

That part was a ton of fun and the people that used devices and paragliding to skip all of it are loving deranged

I've seen at least one video that criticized the building mechanic for being too versatile in TOTK because you could make a hoverbike and just zoom over puzzles when it's not like the game actually teaches you how to make one. Use one if you want but it's not a failure of the game, lol.