Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

has anyone mentioned he changed his name to harry bolz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

univbee posted:

Fun fact: this is apparently where sperm whales get their name from. Olden times whalers who were dissecting sperm whales were extremely mature and highly scientific and correctly noted that their brains did in fact float in cum.

why would you have enough available to test that theory?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

univbee posted:

Are you seriously wondering where a ship full of rugged men who are at sea for years at a time are going to find a bukkakilicious amount of cum?

Fair point.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Realistically, all they have to do is tweet directly at Elon and he will verify them and roll out the red carpet. Elon is clearly one of those people who claims to "make the tough calls" by doing a bunch of stupid/unpopular things then completely withers under direct confrontation over it.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Yeah, that's much worst than the arrogant elitist snobs who will pay $8 because they think they are better than everyone.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I am incapable of understanding how a blue check was ever considered a status symbol when it just functionally tells you the user really is who they claim to be. The "elitist" portion comes from actually being that famous celebrity or billionaire or whatever. Pretending you're on equal ground by paying for a checkmark is incredibly stupid.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

aRudeTeen posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1650731557164818437

As of this morning it's just out of order tweets from people I follow and paid for blue check NBA highlights accounts and for some reason blue check Kpop accounts, which I do not follow and have never interacted with.

New algorithm working as intended.

I just did a bit of scrolling through comments on one of the embeds here and saw the same ad for a piece of owl jewelry every single time it loaded more posts.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

moist turtleneck posted:

Can't wait for block lists to be purged to keep the site from dying from giant block lists

It's literally the only way out at this point. If he had half a brain he would just limit the number of blocks on unpaid accounts, problem solved.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

When a humiliation fetish is actually an uno reverse card.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

mad.radhu posted:

can I just say how loving incredible it is to see a "Palm Pilot is actually better than iPhone" argument in Two Thousand and Twenty Three

I actually liked webOS more than iOS when they were competitors but then palm poo poo the bed in the worst way possible and sold to HP. Also, Apple hired their UI designer and stole the cards interface so in the end I got what I wanted I guess.

The Pixi keyboard beats touch keyboards though, no contest.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

A Bakers Cousin posted:

my single computer class that had programming taught us BASIC.

in 2002

I was doing a COBOL class at a tech school that year. I think my high school had a web design class that focused on Microsoft Frontpage or whatever and that was about as technical as it got. That and a class on Microsoft Office.

Really though, the classes were mostly pretending to work, which has been an invaluable life skill.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Consummate Professional posted:

lmao they are so obsessed with vanity metrics

views are meaningless, especially since I’m sure they aren’t being reported correctly

I think a post earlier in the thread stated that a video running for 2 seconds on twitter counts as a view versus 30 seconds on youtube.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

We finally reached the end of the Sneetches arc.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Just got served an ad for Blue Chew on Twitter with promo code TWITTER so we're currently at the videogame podcast ad tier, I'm sure that's enough to service the debt on those loans, right?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

It's hilarious how bad he wants to be a good poster. I bet the guy that pushed him down the stairs was a great poster.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I enjoyed the Star Wars Galaxies reference, really takes me back to before I was employed.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

ikanreed posted:

Conflict of interest? Let me tell you about conflict of interest. There's an organization, let's call it the schmefDA that expects me to not chop open the heads of disabled people and shove barely functional electronics inside. This puts their selfish need for medical ethics ahead of the greater good of giving Elon Musk money.

Don't forget that they want him to stop shipping the bloody removed implants in bare cardboard boxes. How is anything supposed to get done if they have to clean every little biohazard and ship it in secure sealed containers??

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

That DICK! posted:

i played the hell outta star wars galaxies i tell u that

me too

i couldn't find a job after tech school for months and played galaxies to avoid thinking about serious things

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Niwrad posted:

What is even the point of this? To save a few bucks not having to store some old tweets from a celebrity? The cost for that has to be miniscule.

Actually, if there was a chance of estates suing for Elon putting the badge on the accounts of dead people this would be about the most petty and on-brand way of lashing out that his last idea didn't work out the way he wanted.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

lmao which one of you did this

https://twitter.com/lelysses/status/1656871255369216001

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Is the blue checkmark a verified symbol on Instagram, too?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Whoever's running DeSantis's campaign poo poo has gotta be doing a bit.

He's still likely to win the presidency if Trump doesn't primary him. He's milquetoast enough for most of the "blue no matter who" people to sleep on come the general election and republicans will show up and vote republican without any of the Trump stigma. (Not that it stopped them from voting Trump anyway.)

That approval chart that had Desantis and Musk up near the top is probably what brought this idea on.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Have you seen a video of the man speaking.

It could be an issue if there is a lot of competition in the primary, I guess. But versus Biden? Not an issue.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

sorry i don't believe elon musk's approval numbers are that high, that poll is wrong. idc about their methods or whatever they're just wrong.

It's lucky he's not a born citizen, half the US populace still think he's Iron Man.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

tenderjerk posted:

so you have not heard him speak yet huh

lol you got me

does he sound like a muppet or something?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

lmao

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Weird that he wasn't out there preaching this when Soros had money in Tesla. I can't imagine why he wouldn't have said anything then.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

lmao

I guess the funniest/stupidest option of Trump winning the primary was the only way this could go.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

I hate when my 44 billion dollar start up has hiccups!

REVERSE start up

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Hillary 2024 posted:

This is the Neuralink thread. We're waiting for Musk's team of doctors to slice up their first volunteer.

I'm considering volunteering. I'm at a place in my life where being dead probably wouldn't be a big downgrade. If it worked for some reason, I could even be superhuman until they turned on slave mode and forced me to mine dogecoin with my brain.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

it won't work and you won't die but part of your brain will so you'll get even worse dysphoria and maybe something weird like face blindness or hemineglect and register as a Democrat

I had to look up hemineglect and thats a wild one. I wonder if you can volunteer to get more chips installed to fix things like that if they cause them. Play the odds, ya know?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

ex post facho posted:

the fda approving neuralink is probably the best recent evidence of the regulatory capture of capitalism that I can think of

Literally the last time Neuralink was in the news it was for shipping biohazardous material in the mail.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

If it was never about the money, why would he cut the vast majority of the staff and start charging for everything to "become profitable"?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Semisomnum posted:

They did that already with the first Reddit app that became more popular than the official one. Alienblue got bought and folded into the official app and anyone who paid for no ads was basically told to get hosed until enough of a stink got raised that they gifted everyone effected with a 5yr Reddit gold sub.

I guess the lesson that took from all that was to just kill third party apps entirely.

I got this deal and now I have a bunch of useless reddit currency. I just wanted to make the ads go away.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

It's too bad some genius hasn't come up with a way to verify if people are who they say they are.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

These posts are very funny to me because I had a nurse that spoke exactly like this and I like to think that after poking me full of holes she went home and posted up a storm.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Hot dog, my "too lazy to do anything but boil eggs" diet is vindicated!

Do you have any recommendations for anyone who is too lazy to boil eggs?

Also, I, er they have a sodium restriction.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

My reading is that Elon's burning through cash at an unsustainable rate and wants more rich idiots to invest so he made up X and nattered on about how it'll do everything and it just really reminds me of the kind of bullshit that start-up guys say.

That approach has worked for Elon multiple times because he crafted this weird tech messiah image over decades but now it's abundantly clear that it was marketing hype from a guy that has trouble operating a toaster.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

So are Twitter's remaining landlords just for a good position in the bankruptcy or what?

Love to pile indignities on people already paying $2k a month for a 450' square box.

The only thing not being absolutely flooded by that strobe light is the bathroom. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Toplowtech posted:

The story told is that when he was young and living in South Africa he was stuck by one of the most unfair thing one can see in an apartheid country: ADS. In particular ads where POOR POOR BRAND X was always showed as inferior to the product being advertised. The injustice was so great, his goal in life became to save the honor of the X brand. I loving wish i was making up that poo poo.

lmao if he had grown up watching Looney Tunes Twitter would be named Acme right now

e: and it would actually be less stupid somehow