Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Cartoon Man posted:

Who should I watch tonight, I’m guessing CAR/NYI should be more entertaining than the upcoming Boston beatdown?

Haven't watched either one of those teams play this year, I take it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

SirPablo posted:

It'll be great to get EEK back. It'll be interesting to see if Evason starts MAF for his playoff experience or Gus Bus since he's been playing notably better.

As much as I adore MAF, he is toast. But as someone who doesn't care what the outcome of that series is, I hope MAF plays and does more MAF things!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

The lead dog is regularly replaced.

source: I know a lot about dogsleds trust me

Yeah I read those two novels in middle school too

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dumba just made himself an extra $7M on his upcoming free agent contract

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

DancingMachine posted:

If McDavid gets taken out of a series by a hit like that is the league going to care or change anything?

Absolutely. I mean we all know how hard the league has cracked down on the Crosby headhunters over the years.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I love brain trauma and hope to see more of it tonight!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

Samsonov disappears in the playoffs without fail, I don’t care how good he was this season.

Born to be a Maple Leaf

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

While the refs had little to do with Tampa scoring a touchdown, a GM testifying against a refs family member seems like a conflict of interest the NHL should try to avoid scheduling

Coach not GM, but yeah that is not a good look at all.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

We're just about due for another dead puck era. One way or another we'll plunge into it within the next few years.

Also there is practically 100% going to be another full-year lockout whenever the current CBA is up. 2025-2026 I think. That's probably where Crosby and Ovechkin's careers will end and might cost Ovi the record.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Honestly were I a Leafs fan, if the Leafs had been on the winning end of yesterday's score in Game 1 I'd be a lot more worried. Getting destroyed right out of the gate is reversing the script for them.

Shame their goalie situation precludes the possibility of winning a playoff series. Tough break for them that Murray's body and head are both hosed and Samsonov folded like a lawnchair in the playoffs, who could ever have seen that coming

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean, most of the team front offices and the league office is comprised of former players.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

At least we got out of the first round a bunch. Toronto can’t even do that.

Leafs have got the losing to the same team every year down pat, though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hi has anyone explained that the trapezoid is the area behind the net where the goalie's allowed to play the puck yet

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

"non-COVID illness" is also a great way to prevent the opposing shitheads from learning which body part is injured.

e: f;b

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

That's the most Mike Sullivan 4th line

Well, two thirds of it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Powershift posted:

Of course, and lets just get it out of the way.

"Bunting suspended for the remainder of the playoffs"

How do you know whoever replaces Dubas isn't going to see this as a positive?

Brian Burke loves guys like this.

Yeah if anything it makes him seem more valuable to half or more of the GMs in the league, not less

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

Did they arrive at that number purely for the easy jokes

Legit think this is at least partly a genuine troll on the DOPS' part

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Keefe's getting fired in like a week

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Arivia posted:

the Leafs. MAF already has what, two rings?

Three, though two of them were as a backup

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If the goon that is an EBUG ever gets called in against MAF he had damned well better fight him under pain of permaban

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Patric Hornqvist was more valuable to the Penguins than most people including Penguins management ever understood, for exactly that reason. He was very much a blackbelt from the Tomas Holmstrom dojo. Not generalized pesting but specifically he annoyed the everfucking hell out of goalies.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

WeaponX posted:

Sure maybe, but after a brief meltdown don’t expect me to be posting a year later about how they deserved to win because of some expected goals blob chart yadda yadda. If they don’t get it done this year, it’s because they didn’t get it done and all that matters in the end is who got to 4 wins first.

As a person who watched the 2009 SCF, wholeheartedly agree

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's annoying but... it's been that way for years? It shouldn't really come as a surprise anymore. Like someone said upthread it's like going to a movie at the advertised start time and being surprised that there are 25 minutes of ads before the movie actually starts. If you've ever been to a movie before and you don't want to see the ads, you know to show up 25 minutes after start time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

trilljester posted:

Really good fight, and as I said in the GDT you don't see many fights in the playoffs, so it was a nice treat.

Ovechkin's brutal beatdown of Svechnikov was in the playoffs I'm pretty sure

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hey, after a while snorting cocaine and riding motorcycles out of helicopters loses a tiny bit of its thrill.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The Devils need their Therrien to Bylsma moment. No time like the present. Bring back Disco Dan!

Gotta lose the Finals first

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ah so it's hotbrain

:rip:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Escape Goat posted:

I thought it was more 95% whoever gets the fewest injuries on the way

Yeah pretty much. But we try not to think too hard about the futility inherent in caring as much as we do about essentially random outcomes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is it just me or do this year's playoffs seem dirtier than usual

It's just you

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Oilers are not a good team. They did great in the regular season because they have Connor McDavid at his full God Mode peak, but whose poo poo doesn't work in the playoffs when it's open season for anyone who wants to just grab/hook him and drag him down. Even with that they were only even in last night's game because McDavid made two ridiculous sniper plays.

This team is saddled with Nurse for another 7 years. Hyman for 5. Campbell for 4. Ken Holland will still be the GM for $DEITY knows how long. When he finally is fired he will probably be replaced with Jim Benning. Unless McDavid gets a personality transplant and demands a trade he will never win a Cup.

grack posted:

I've watched the replay of this goal at least 10 times and I still have no idea what Nurse was doing.

The really LOL thing is that this is true of all three Kings goals. Literally all three of the replays featured one of the commentators saying some variation on "I don't know what Darnell Nurse was doing". I'm pretty sure that is verbatim what they said on the first goal.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 22, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I can only speak for myself but the new Oilers look the same as the old Oilers to me, I don't think the Kings are a particularly good team, but I picked the Kings to win the series anyway. Take away half of what McDavid does because Playoff Rules and the Oilers are just ugly. I think McDavid is still underrated and underappreciated, because dragging that sorry-rear end, defense-free roster and unremarkable coach to within two points of the 1 seed is insane. Their top defensive pairing is Darnell Nurse and Cody Ceci for gods' sake!

They may still beat the Kings, of course. It's the Pacific, so they could easily make another WCF run. They are not gonna win the Cup, not now and probably not ever. It's not because they're chokers or cursed or anything, it's just because they're a mediocre team flying high on the wings of the best player since Lemieux at his absolute peak. Even ignoring Playoff Rules considerations, a one or two or even three man team is not a formula for winning the Cup.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

There’s two kinds of rules in the nhl, fair play rules and safety rules. I’ve always thought of high sticking as a safety rule, so it makes sense that intent doesn’t matter.

Puck-over-glass (Delay of Game) represents a third category: Don't Waste Time rules, which to be fair every sport needs.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nice to see Keefe finally become the last person on Earth to realize that Jon Cooper is smarter than him.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If you're keeping track, 3 of the Kings' 4 goals last night prominently involved "What the hell was Darnell Nurse doing???"

And of course most of the Oilers' goals involved McDavid doing crazy space wizard McDavid poo poo. Whoever posted about Nurse being a negative card you have to take if you want to play the McDavid card had it bang on

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 24, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I don't know if I've ever seen a defenseman so wildly out of position so often as Darnell Nurse, and I say that as someone who watched far more of Mike Matheson than anyone could want to. It's not a Justin Faulk thing where Faulk is just lazy as hell and stands around when the puck's in his end, Nurse jerks around the ice frenetically like his jock is on fire. And also constantly trying to cherrypick like a young Malkin. From the defenseman position.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

DancingMachine posted:

2 things I think after tonight's Kraken game 5 win:

Cale Makar seems a pretty important part of the Avs team. They didn't look the same tonight.

Replacing Cale Makar with Jack Mother loving Johnson alone changes you from like a 110 point team to an 85 point team.

That said, Seattle has a bad system but they do have A System and they play it to the hilt, whereas Colorado is really unorganized. They rely heavily on MacKinnon and Makar being awesome, which, not to entirely fault Bednar--when you have two players that special you don't want to make your team play too rigidly. But without Makar they did not look good.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Ullmark has been average to bad most of this series and is clearly still dealing with the injury that he had at the end of the year. He looks bad! He single-handedly lost Boston the game tonight. They probably won't go to Swayman, but maybe they should.

Ullmark definitely ran out of fairy dust and that makes Boston just a good team. Fortunately for them, once they put Florida away they'll get either a worn out Tampa team or the Toronto Maple Leafs in the second round.

The East is a clusterfuck which almost any team might win and I'm here for it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

So when he gets deported are they going to have to carry that cap hit for the next million years, or is the league going to create a new Nichushkin Island category

fakeedit: actually he's been in the US 8 years now so he might be a citizen by now?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Boy did the Jets come right out of the gate last night like they'd already given up. A really astonishing no-show.

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm not too concerned about who wins this playoffs but man I hope Toronto doesn't go out like this again. That's just too depressing.

Toronto is absolutely going to go out like this again!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lol yeah, leafs are well known for major changes after catastrophic fuckup after catastrophic fuckup.

My absolute favorite part is the part where Keefe will still be there, yet again, next year.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You know how the Leafs played in Game 7 last year? That's how they're going to play in Game 6 this year. And Game 7, of course. It's completely in their heads. It was incredible that they just ran the whole thing back after last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

People have given me poo poo in this forum for two straight years for ranting that the Leafs can’t just run it back and something major needed to change after those losses, funny how things work out.

Not me my friend. I've been onto the fact Sheldon Keefe doesn't know what he's doing for 2+ years now. and Shanadubas too for that matter. Everyone involved in management is incompetent.