Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/Samaold1/status/1646549024776781826

Nemec scored again tonight too. He started somewhat slow (given his crazy production in the Slovak league), but has had an awesome second half. His total points would look even more impressive if he wasn't behind Walsh on the PP. Just a great first season and he'll likely be the frontrunner for that last RD spot next year.

In playoffs news it doesn't look to me like Luke Hughes or Schmid will be dressed for game one, which is what I expected. Luke not being dressed I'm fine with tbh, Bahl has been excellent over the past month-month and a half and he would be the one to sit. Blackwood over Schmid I just don't like at all. Vanecek has earned the start but Schmid was 8+ above expected (Blackwood ended up at -.9 after that dreadful last game) and was particularly excellent as a relief goalie (which is a real thing given the Devils ability to come back from big deficits).

Ruff did say in his post practice interview today that "they have 3 goalies", so clearly he's considering Schmid as an option, so at least he's not locked in on Blackwood as backup I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

secret volcano lair posted:

blackwood as the backup over schmid is an absolutely indefensible decision and it's very possible it will cost NJ the series

It hasn't been 100% confirmed but it sure looks like it's trending that way based on practice. I'm not sure the Devils can survive Vanecek getting pulled against a good team like the Rangers anyway, but Schmid certainly gives them a better chance. It also potentially means that they'd go to Blackwood over Schmid in the next game if Vanecek has a stinker which just seems crazy.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Marchand bringing back licking to Jeffrey Amherst the Panthers.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Was Faber just in because Klingberg is out?

ThinkTank posted:

Skinner looked pretty shaky too and I expect him to rebound. Nurse was at his defensive liability best though lol.

Yeah I thought Skinner looked pretty nervous. Tentative reads and a lot of halfway decisions. Still don't think the Kings can survive no Fiala/Vilardi but man that was a big win for them.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It's quite an odd feeling being on the other end of an impending hit-gate after growing up in the Stevens era.

Meier and Wood definitely have it in them to do something stupid tonight though, so there's that to look forward to.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

“Marchment justice”

should really be your new SA name

Might have to dust off the old Bratt jersey tonight for maximum sadness. I don't think I've even worn it since covid started. My Daneyko sweater used to have unreal luck to it though (the Devils have to be .850+ in live games I've worn it to). I can't remember what jersey I wore to game 4 vs. Tampa, I want to say I bought the Bratt jersey that season so probably that one?

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 18, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It was nasty and predatory but come on that Minnesota/Dallas game last night was so drat good. What emotion

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Very good 5 on 5 besides the finishing. Really bad in net and on special teams. I think they can sort it out but an early goal or two would be nice for their confidence.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Me seeing Rangers and Bruins fans getting cocky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3dZP3io-xc

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Already seeing stuff like this getting thrown around on twitter. It's the refs conspiring against Toronto.

https://twitter.com/NickHillierNL/status/1648499423826280450?t=GZ4QTlIqu2AqHiFKTG1f5Q&s=19

wasn't this the guy Mike Danton hired a hitman to kill?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

No idea! I'd never heard about any of this until the Leafs started losing badly. But I'm also not paying super close attention to everything Leafs-related.

how you can be a SAS hockey poster and not remember the Mike Danton anthologies?

quote:

On April 16, 2004, two days after the Blues were eliminated from the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs by the San Jose Sharks, Danton was arrested and charged with conspiracy to commit murder. On July 16, 2004, he pleaded guilty to attempting to hire a hitman, who was actually a police dispatcher, to murder David Frost, his agent, and was sentenced by U.S. District Judge William Stiehl to seven-and-a-half years in a United States federal prison. To this day, however, Frost denies that he was the target. In 2011, Danton claimed in an interview with ESPN that his original target was his estranged father, Steve Jefferson.

In November 2005, the CBC program The Fifth Estate aired a documentary, Rogue Agent, about the history between Danton and Frost. In it, the documentary casts light on the controlling relationship Frost had with Danton and how he encouraged Danton to estrange himself from his parents, as well as an alleged incident where Frost and a group of his players abused Danton's younger brother. The documentary also focuses on a taped telephone call Danton made to Frost a week after his arrest. In it, Frost instructs Danton to plead guilty and ends the conversation demanding Danton say "I love you," which Danton does, further fueling speculation of a homosexual relationship between the two. In 2006, Frost was charged with 12 counts of sexual exploitation related to acts on three females and four males between the ages of 14 and 16, alleged to have occurred during the time that Frost was Danton's junior hockey coach, with the Quinte Hawks. Frost was acquitted of all charges on November 28, 2008; the trial included testimony from women who had participated in threesomes with other players and Danton.[5] In an unrelated matter, Frost was also acquitted on February 14, 2009 of fraud charges related to the use of one of Danton's credit cards; Danton stated that Frost had his permission to use the card.[6]

In July 2008, in an article in the Denver Post, it was revealed that Howard Kieffer, the lawyer who represented Danton in his murder conspiracy case, had never graduated from law school, and so was not licensed to practice law. In September 2008, Kieffer pleaded not guilty to two felony charges, and news reports revealed that he would not be representing himself.[7]

On March 19, 2009, the United States Bureau of Prisons granted Danton's request to be transferred to a Canadian prison after five years at FCI Sandstone; he was housed at the Pittsburgh Institution in Joyceville, Ontario. Under Canadian law, Danton was eligible for parole,[8] which was granted on September 11, 2009. Conditions of his parole include no contact with his father (who Danton now claims was the intended target), and no face-to-face meetings with Frost (widely believed to be Danton's actual target).[9]

Danton was released in 2009 and played like 5 or 6 more seasons of pro hockey. He's like the proto-Cain Velasquez.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

actionjackson posted:

who would you pick as your "all time team?" well at least in the modern era

center - gretzky
wings - messier? and ?
defense - coffey and bourque?
goalie - roy?

edit: reminder i know jackshit about hockey

We've done a few all-time drafts over the offseason in the fantasy forum. The 2020 version is a pretty decent read: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917510

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Levitate posted:

See I don't totally agree, maybe it'd be different if the couple of real clean chances they got went in, but the Rangers closed down the Devils space real well and limited much of the danger. Hughes of course was electric when he was on but even he turned it over a lot trying to gain the zone or make some fancy plays that the Rangers were obviously game planning for. Like I said...it wasn't quite playoff hockey yet for the Devils and they'll need to find a bit of that (whatever it is)

but again could also turn on a goal and some snowballing momentum.

Yeah I think the Rangers did a really good job not allowing the Devils to get to the middle, but the 5v5 the play clearly favored the Devils. For most of the game 5v5, the Rangers were just chipping out/icing it and ceding space to the Devils. I doubt they can do that for an entire series and win, but if the Devils special teams and goaltending is that bad all series, maybe they can.

There are absolutely some offensive zone execution things the Devils need to clean up, and no more than on the powerplay, but I didn't have a whole lot of problems with their game in the neutral zone or on the forecheck, they created a lot of turnovers and entered the Rangers zone with speed many times, their last pass execution was just lacking and the Rangers did an excellent job in the middle with active sticks/shot blocking/boxing out.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 19, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Oh yeah, I would expect the Rangers to not cede 5v5 play like that all series, particularly if the Devils get a lead. I just don't think it was that bad of a game from the Devils. The goaltending is worrisome though, but it was worrisome before the series so that's nothing new.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
McCann has been good for years, obviously not 40 goals good, but NHL GMs are of course, the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet.

Like, he was even eye test good! There's nothing about his game that's hard to see. Hard worker, great skater, good shot.

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1417867963869372420

Like how easily would the Pens have made the playoffs this year with him and Erod? Good lord

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
drat that Teravainen injury is brutal. Looks like the pool party playoff experience is about to kick off.

Hard to see the Canes going deep without two of their best wingers, but they should still finish that series you'd think.

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1649060318981627904

lmao at giving Wood MORE minutes. Meier to the top 6 is solid though I guess. Sharangovich in for Boqvist.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 20, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Florida has xGFed Boston in the series @ 5v5 --- 5.5-4.0

But it's basically even overall because Boston's special teams have been much better. Personally I think Florida needs to do better than just even to win the series given the expected goaltending disparity but hopefully Ullmark/Swayman have entered the playoff zone. Lyon hasn't been that great either though. Game 1 was there for Florida if he was good.

MAF posted a -4 GSAE last night lol

e: Also Barkov has looked terrible so far for Florida. I wonder if he's hurt? They need way more from him

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 20, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Aphrodite posted:

Discord always wrong. Noted.

well the xGF is even overall more or less, not sure what number they were quoting, it's just 5v5 where Florida has had the advantage

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

I recognize that the Devils hugely outperformed expectations this year but I can't help feeling that Ruff's bizarre roster decisions and constant line shuffling have held them back. There is no way Wood should be playing over Boqvist let alone be up on the third line. I'm not convinced Ruff should be back next year if they go down in flames in round 1

Yeah it's not great. It's also a bit of an overreaction for me. 5v5 they were fine. They had trouble getting to the middle (which I guess is the idea with Wood as in his rare good games it's all net-net-net), but they created enough to score.

Getting destroyed on the PP/PK is what lost them that game though (and Vanecek being pretty meh). Sharangovich does PK so there's that. Ideally both he and Boqvist would be in the lineup.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Not that the lineup matters too much if the Devils are going to play like that, but they've been at their best, shockingly, when they have the puck so ideally you'd want to put players in the lineup who like to have it and hold on to it. I'd consider Siegenthaler and Luke Hughes for Smith/Graves, but I highly doubt they'll do that (one of them should be coming in though, most likely Siegenthaler). Boqvist should be back in for Wood. There should be real consideration to Schmid as the starter, not that Vanecek was the problem in game two but he was bad in game one and ultimately collapsed when the Rangers really took over game in two.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/AdamZHerman/status/1649223705325649926

obv so much of this is execution but Ruff has made bizarre panic lineup decisions and the Rangers look incredibly more prepared

Like I tend to think NHL fans blame coaching wayyyyyy too much but Ruff is not putting his team in the best position to succeed

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 21, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Levitate posted:

I dunno, I think the Rangers just plain played better that game than the Devils. Devils still don't quite know how to get their offense working effectively against what the Rangers are doing, seemed like they thought "Ok we gotta try to throw big hits now", and blew it on the PK again. I mean, I know there's a reason Kreider is good at tipping pucks and part of that is his ability to get in front of the net at the right time, but it's reallllllly reallllly hard to try to play in front of him when you have guys like Fox and Kane and Panarin feeding him pucks, rather than tying him up some way. Seeing two Devils defenders standing in front of Kreider while he's untouched and deflecting pucks in isn't a good luck

Well yeah, everything I posted tonight was about how bad the Devils were playing, even when they had the lead. When the Devils have had success (game 1 at 5v5 pretty much), it has been with speed and puck control, not some pseudo-physical game they haven't played all season. They need to play to their identity and dressing/overplaying ogres like Smith and Wood doesn't feed into that. It probably won't be enough because even their top players haven't been good enough, but you can still play the style (and dress a lineup) that gives you the best chance of success.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah definitely, and Ruff starting Smith and moving Wood up in the lineup just reinforces the things they shouldn't be doing. Their issue is execution with the puck primarily, they've been the more physical team in the series if anything and it hasn't done poo poo but get them away from what makes them successful.

Crazy to see a team win 52 games and think they need to play an entirely different game. Even crazier to have a veteran coach buying into it. Also man have their veterans been invisible. Tatar/Palat/Dougie have been awful. Playoff Tatar being real is a hell of a thing.

I posted this in the GD thread but it sure looks like things are opening up for the Rangers. I'm definitely trying to jinx them but the East is looking vulnerable with all the injuries to other contenders that are happening.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 21, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mcmagic posted:

The Devils dominated those regular season games vs the Rangers this year. They were CLEARLY the better team in those games. Going from that to whatever has been going on the last 2 games is pretty pathetic. They couldn't just get away from what they won 52 games doing. They don't even look like an over 500 team in these games.

It happens a lot to young teams in the playoffs. You'd hope that a veteran coach would be there to help counteract it instead of playing into their worst possible tendencies but here we are. It's unfortunate game 1 went how it did because they weren't that bad outside of goaltending and special teams, and they panic reacted to it in game 2 in the dumbest way.

The Rangers were also excellent in game two, there's no avoiding that. Probably the best I've seen them look all season, particularly in the 2nd.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
If there were ever a GM to fire a coach mid-playoffs he lives in Long Island.

https://www.nytimes.com/2000/03/24/sports/hockey-first-place-devils-fire-their-coach.html

https://www.nhl.com/news/julien-fired-as-devils-coach-lamoriello-takes-over/c-298535

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It's his last year so technically it just wouldn't be a renewal.

Which is also how Brunette lost his job (granted, as an interim), and he's the most likely guy to replace Lindy!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah, I think belief in a system and execution is almost always more important than the actual system.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

Winning the cup is 98% confidence and 2% vibes.

unironically talent and vibes

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

It's not really even talent. The more talented team loses all the time if the less talented team is made to genuinely believe NO ONE BELIEVED IN US WE CAME HERE TO PROVE THEM WRONG

well to win a Cup maybe you probably need a bit to carry you through 4 rounds, but yeah one round I agree gently caress it vibes baby

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Well that's not counting special teams where the Rangers are utterly dominating. Devils really do need to try Schmid in game 3 though.

If the Devils actually looked good and were just getting goalied or unlucky I'd certainly be posting about it, trust me. For instance, Game 1 was a lot closer than 5-1, too bad they took all the wrong lessons from it.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 21, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
If every game were similar to game 1 I'd expect it to be a longer series. Game 2 was a sweep type thing though.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Koopa Kid posted:

It’s funny looking at 5v5 numbers for Leafs/Bolts considering there’s been the equivalent of more than a full period of powerplay time in each game

which with those powerplays no surprise there's a billion goals

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://www.nhl.com/news/patrice-bergeron-game-3-injury-status/c-343725178?tid=343199104

quote:

BOSTON -- Patrice Bergeron will not travel with the Boston Bruins to Florida for Games 3 and 4 of the Eastern Conference First Round.

The Bruins captain missed the first two games of the opening round, including a 6-3 loss to the Panthers in Game 2 on Wednesday that tied the best-of-7 series 1-1, with an upper-body injury he sustained in the final game of the regular season on April 13.

Wow I sure hope Ullmark doesn't play bad for the rest of the series or anything, that would be terrible.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Mike Works posted:

Here's my advanced stats for the New Jersey New York series:

New York has won both games 5-1.

No more graphs needed, thanks.

Man I'm always pumping the Canucks tires too

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

eXXon posted:

Does 2-3 wins in a row qualify as a nice run? Asking for a friend.

about to earn some serious respect

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Simplex posted:

Shooting the puck into the stands creates a danger for the spectators, icing it does not. Hence why one is a penalty and the other only a stoppage.

That's absolutely not why they changed the rule, it was put in place to promote offense (there's a reason it's only a penalty in the defensive zone). NHL teams putting up netting after Derek Morris deflected a Espen Knutsen shot that killed a girl was the safety thing.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I think if game 4 is a repeat of game 3, the Devils will probably lose tonight. They can't take that many minors again and expect to win. Looks like the lineup is unsurprisingly the same. The 4th line was almost unplayable at 5v5, but Bastian/Lazar did a solid enough job on the PK I suppose.

I wouldn't depend on another fantastic Schmid performance but hopefully he's good enough to give them a chance. Devils need more production from Hischier/Mercer/Meier, but Bratt/Hughes are starting to get their chances at least. This feels like a game where the Devils really need to test Shesterkin to win, but I haven't seen any evidence that they're capable of doing that in the first 3 games. A bad game by Igor would go a long way though, hard to see them winning a series where he puts up a .949

Playing even or a little bit plus at 5v5 like they did in games one and three isn't going to be enough given the special teams disparity, they need to dominate 5v5 going forward. That or the first unit PP really needs to come alive.

Basically have no confidence the Devils can win a series played like that at 5v5 unless Schmid goes full Halak.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 24, 2023

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

https://twitter.com/ryannovo62/status/1650548652417462291

thanks mike but i think we actually have to dress luke hughes for that to work

odd to call for more production from their depth guys when Hischier, Meier, Mercer, Severson, and Tatar have a combined (1) point.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
devils are back baby

(playing like the the most boring defensive hockey you've ever seen, but hey I'll watch that garbage again)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

I know Meier had that one really awful shift where he took the delay of game, but in general I think he's really making a positive impact with his board and physical play. Hopefully he doesn't get too frustrated about not scoring. Tatar looked more like his regular season self tonight too, lots of good smart plays along the boards to keep possession and nice 50/50 wins at the point to escape pressure.