Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Deadspin reporting that Trevor Lawrence and the starters will play in the first preseason game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't watch a ton of NCAA football but I don't get the glowing optimism for Richardson beyond his athleticism. I watched a few Florida games of his and he was loving awful. First person I thought of us for a comparable upside was Kordell Stewart. I get not bothering with Minshew but not why AR was taken so high.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Well, all that may be true of AR but what I saw of him looked like poo poo. Maybe they can carve him into something ala Fosh Allen or he becomes Cam Newton+ but I'm on record right now predicting he's gonna suck.

Regardless, as a Jags fan, I'm elated to see him starting in week 1

:getin:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

What was up with Tennessee in the preseason having a run/pass ratio of 76/108? I know they'll emphasize the run in the regular season but it seems to me you'd want to get a better look at the two young QB's.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Anthony Richardson gonna score fumble at least 5 TDs 2 times today

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

What's the shittiest QB we could draft... ?

Will Levis and Malik Willis?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Why is Minshew in this game for the Colts?

Also, Jags game has more turnovers so far (4) than points (3)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'm not surprised it's a tight game but I honestly did not expect a 3-0 score in the KC v JAX game nearing the end of the 1st half.

e

welp 7-3 now

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jets should inquire about Minshew

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Colts won't trade him. This is why he's there. He's a really good backup and the offense plays differently but is still effective when he plays.

I just want to see him have a chance to make it to the Super Bowl as a starter

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Peterson fell into his old trap of getting away from the run too much in a close, one score game where they won the turnover battle.

41/17 pass/run ratio

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This is a weird story

https://www.news4jax.com/news/2023/09/17/illinois-authorities-searching-for-missing-former-jacksonville-jaguar-mother-found-dead-in-creek/

Illinois police searching for missing former Jaguars player after mother found dead in creek

Sergio Brown’s mother’s death investigated as homicide

quote:

The Maywood Police Department is looking for a former Jacksonville Jaguar who was reported missing in Illinois after his mother was found dead in a creek near her home, according to a report by WGN-TV.

Sergio Brown, 35, played for the Jaguars in 2015 and played in the NFL from 2010 to 2016.

According to WGN-TV in Chicago, his family reported 73-year-old Myrtle Brown and her son missing Saturday after not being about to get into contact with them.

Police found Myrtle unresponsive, WGN-TV reported, in a creek behind her home after a search. Authorities are investigating her death as a homicide.

Myrtle’s sister, Sheila Simmons, told the station that she hadn’t heard from her sister since Thursday, Sept. 14.

Simmons told authorities she received a call that her sister and nephew were missing early Saturday morning, so she went to Brown’s home in Maywood and “noticed things around the house were out of the ordinary,” WGN TV reported.

WGN-TV reports that Simmons helped police search the creek behind the house but Brown’s body wasn’t discovered until later that day when another search was initiated.

The family said they have not heard from Sergio, according to WGN-TV.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This keeps getting more and more weird

Missing ex-NFL star posts bizarre Instagram about police and FBI after mother found dead in creek

https://news.yahoo.com/missing-ex-nfl-star-posts-103912756.html

quote:

Now, in a shocking turn of events, Mr Brown has now turned up on Instagram – posting a bizarre video claiming that he believed his mother was holiday and that he had been kidnapped by law enforcement.

The video was first reported by Fox32 and appears in an Instagram story on account “intplayerwithapassport”, and not the former player’s verified account.

The Independent has not been able to independently verify that the account belongs to Mr Brown.

In the video, Mr Brown starts off by hitting out at “fake news” before launching into incoherent ramblings about the FBI.

He claims that he thought his mother was on vacation and makes accusations against Maywood Police and the FBI, saying that he was “kidnapped” twice by either one of them.

Before the disappearance of him and his late mother last week, neighbours claim they noticed an odd change in his behaviour.

Carlos Cortez told WBBM that Mr Brown’s family said “he wasn’t himself the last few months”

“He was out of his mind,” he said.

The neighbour said that he had also given authorities Ring doorbell video, in which Mr Brown is reportedly seen burning his mother’s clothes.

“They seen him taking out the trash, and they seen him have a bonfire where he burned all her clothes,” he said.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Intruder posted:

jags fans already booing their team lol

Houston has their loving number, man. God drat.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Things have gotten so out of hand in Jacksonville that Tony Boselli is on the broadcast talking about how at least the Houston kickoff return didn't eat up a ton of clock.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I told everybody that Stroud was the safe pick in this draft but no one listened.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

i dont watch college football so its impossible for me to have any draft opinions, just glad stroud seems to be working out. feels good to see this.

I don't either and I'm largely talking poo poo but from what little I did see, Stroud looked NFL ready more than Young and certainly Levis.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jags look to be getting right today.

E

Welp. Atlanta on the board now as I type that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Jags look to be getting right today.

E

Welp. Atlanta on the board now as I type that.

Well, that went well. Nice convincing win for Jax.

Defense has been better than I expected. Josh Allen with 6 sacks through 4 games in a contract year plus two picks. This o-line is still an issue though. Even though I liked the pass/run ratio playcalling this week, the blocking up front is a problem so getting Cam Robinson back next week vs Buffalo is nice and hopefully they can rearrange the front 5 to get some push up front and help with pass protection.

Trevor was efficient this week and didn't force things a lot. Good win, even if it was against a weak team with a lower tier QB.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mega64 posted:

We finally beat Joe Burrow

Beat the living Christ out of him. Bengals are having some loving issues, man.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Jaguars: top 5 receiving corps, as we all know

That's not really much of a stretch even though the Jags' offense has looked like poo poo so far. Christian Kirk, Calvin Ridley and Zay Jones, combined with Evan Engram and Travis Etienne looks pretty decent on paper.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Apparently tackling people is a penalty now.

Go on.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 8, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

This keeps getting more and more weird

Missing ex-NFL star posts bizarre Instagram about police and FBI after mother found dead in creek

https://news.yahoo.com/missing-ex-nfl-star-posts-103912756.html

This story just keeps getting more and more bizarre

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/11/us/sergio-brown-nfl-mother-death/index.html

Former NFL player Sergio Brown taken into custody in the murder of his mother, police say

quote:

Former NFL player Sergio Brown, who had been missing since his mother’s death last month, was taken into custody on Tuesday after a warrant was issued for first-degree murder in her killing, police said in a statement.

Brown, 35, was arrested in San Diego while re-entering the US from Mexico, police in Maywood, Illinois, said. He is awaiting extradition to Maywood, a suburb of Chicago, to face the murder charge, police said.

Mexican law enforcement officers have known Brown’s whereabouts since at least September 19, a law enforcement source familiar with the investigation told CNN, which was first to report Brown’s arrest. Mexican law enforcement deported him after authorities in Illinois obtained an arrest warrant pertaining to his mother’s death, the source said.

San Diego Sheriff’s Department inmate records indicate Brown was in the agency’s custody Wednesday morning and being held on a felony fugitive arrest warrant.

The body of his mother, Myrtle Brown, 73, was found in a creek behind her Maywood home on September 16, Maywood police said. Relatives had alerted police they’d been unable to find or contact her or her son, police said.

The Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office determined she died from injuries related to an assault, and the manner of death was ruled a homicide, according to spokesperson Natalia Derevyanny.

Maywood police said last month they were aware of at least one video circulating on social media that appears to show Sergio Brown in a tropical location rambling about “fake news” and claiming he thought his mother was on vacation. It is not clear where or when the video was taken, and police did not confirm to CNN the person in the video is Sergio Brown.

https://deadspin.com/sergio-brown-mother-murder-arrest-chicago-nfl-1850918020

Sergio Brown arrested in connection with his mother's murder [Updated]

quote:

In the weeks since his mother’s death, Brown has repeatedly posted bizarre videos from Mexico, where he has decried his mother’s death as “fake news,” partied with tourists, and shared his thoughts on the Pixar film Finding Dory. In one video, Brown claimed his mother was not dead, but was actually on vacation in Mexico. Brown also accused the Maywood Police and the FBI of kidnapping him, and mocked their attempts to locate him.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

39 plays run for BAL vs 17 for TENN. 20 minutes TOP vs 9 minutes.

Holy poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Gonna cross post this from the NFCE thread if that's OK. Involves an epiphany I had watching the Jags v NO game on thursday

This past weekend I finally realized that I think I'm done with watching live NFL football. Thursday night really fertilized the seed because I'm trying to watch Jaguars v Saints and at least half of what I wound up watching were ads for beer, cars, medicine, fast food, etc. Or at least it felt like it. Last night's game was a similar experience.

There are just way WAY too many commercials to hold my interest for that long and many times, we get:

1. Offensive play, booth review, commercial
2. Play overturned, new play, end of quarter, commercial
3. 4th down now, successful FG, commercial
4. Kickoff, player down on the field, commercial
5. 3 plays, punt, TV timeout/commercial
6. 2 plays, two minute warning, commercial

It's horrible and no fun. Made me want to really scientifically measure how much time I was spending watching ads versus actually watching the game I enjoy so much. Almost always, what I do now is watch 20-30 minute recaps that show me everything I need to know or, if I really want to watch a live game, pause it and allow it to buffer then go back and watch a quarter where I FF the ads.

If I'm at a sports bar with my friends it's not as much of a big deal but I HATE advertising in almost every form and these broadcasts are polluted with it. People say baseball is slow (and it is) but most times I can at least watch an inning uninterrupted and the time between them is like 60-90 seconds or something.

Also, the continued failure to do anything about cleaning up the officiating detracts from the experience and often decides a game I've invested 3.5 hours into. I'm an Eagles fan but GTFO with the idea that we committed ZERO penalties last night. My job involves "refereeing" to a degree and not only am I rigorously trained to do it well, the emphasis is always on getting it right and I'm called out when I gently caress up or taken off certain "games". This past weekend in particular was a plethora of terrible officiating and it just goes on and on.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I'm glad the Jaguars lost.

I'm glad because I'm not sure I would be able to hold myself to this decision if they had won.

Jaguars won though? I know your Titans suck right now but I gotta ask: You doing OK?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 23, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

EvilBeard posted:

I feel bad for the Panthers. Imagine having 4 choices for rookie QB, trading up to 1, and picking wrong.

Then the Texans get theirs along with a top tier defensive lineman with the next two picks

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Levis Bust

Also, get Trevor out of there now.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I can only afford to hate watch the titans on a pirated buffstreams link. This loving moron pays for the right to see it in person! 💪

Stop posting in my thread dude.

"Stop making GBS threads up My Thread" says the guy who has over half his posts reading nothing but "Big Jeff"

Soul Glo posted:

Congratulations to Bengals qb Jake Browning, who won a game in his second start in his third year in the NFL. Love to see journeymen finally see some success, even if it took Trevor Bust getting knocked out of the game to get there.

I like it too and is why I root for Minshew, Dobbs and guys like that. Now I gotta root for CJ Beathard. Just sucks it came against Jax in their first MNF game since like 2011 when it was set up perfectly as a coming out game and kind of looked like a lay up. I don't think Trevor's injury is why they lost. Not sure what happened to the defense beyond learning that Jamar Chase is insanely hard to cover but at least Josh Allen 2 showed up. Bengals OC dialed up some good poo poo.

And, honest to god, that Lawrence injury looked far worse than it was. It wasn't the left ankle that got me, it was the right leg being bent back like a chicken wing and I legit thought we had another potential ALex Smith or Joe Theismann situation on our hands where a loving bone pops out. People around here are saying he plays next week but no loving way I run him out there against Cleveland on a short week.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Well played

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

(quietly) not so easy to beat the cleveland browns now, is it

Probably Magic posted:

For all the poo poo-talking we do on here, do legit feel bad for the Jags today, having an inexplicably terrible day against the Browns is a feeling I can strongly relate to. Any Given Sunday.

Cleveland defense is legit top tier, Trevor is gimpy, the Jags are missing Christian Kirk and starting (I think) a 3rd string LT.

No way I would have started Lawrence in this game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Christ, if you're gonna toss up 3 INT's just start CJ Beathard.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

loving Joe Flacco outplayed Lawrence today.

I know he was banged up and facing a nasty defense but I think we're about at the point where we need to talk about this "generational talent" who was being compared to Elway coming out of Clemson and look at what he does on the field; a lot of which is fumble a lot and throw picks. The Jags' 8-5 record this year can largely be credited to the defense and I honestly can't remember the last time I watched Trevor and truly got "wowed" the way that Josh Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, Jackson, Hurts and even guys like Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott showed me with a similar sample size.

The only game I can really recall where Lawrence was genuinely The DIfference was last year's playoff game vs SD and, even in that one, he was the REASON they were down 27-0 in the loving first place. Almost 3 years in and he looks more like Kirk Cousins or maybe Matt Stafford than John Elway and his stats back this perception up. He seems to get a pass on criticism too, I assume based on his draft status, but the idea of him ever becoming truly elite increasingly seems like a long shot.

He's not even really passing the eye test anymore because 3 or 5 times a game he misses an open guy or throws an ill-advised pass into tight coverage. He's good but he doesn't seem like a game changer to me. I'm not ready to call him a "bust" but I don't see a future Hall of Famer here either.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I know. Analytics and everything but I still don't understand teams going for two late in the game when an XP would cut the lead to three. When you don't get it, like the Jaguars v Cleveland, now you need a TD with 90 seconds left or whatever.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mega64 posted:

They probably means the Jags/Browns, where the Jags needed a FG to tie if they kicked an XP but instead went for and failed a 2pt. They didn't recover an inside so it ended up moot.

This

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Swiped from the rookie QB thread

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I just checked my betting sheet and was positive I picked Tampa Bay but for some reason I laid a point with JAX lol.

Lawrence loving sucks and this team has issues, man.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Per ESPN Stats & Info, this is Jaguars QB Trevor Lawrence's eighth career game with 3+ turnovers, three more than any other player since 2021 (Josh Allen and Mac Jones have 5 each).

E:

Since Trevor Lawrence entered the league in 2021, 20 passers have averaged more yards per dropback. Twenty-one have averaged more EPA per play. And 18 have a higher success rate. The former no. 1 pick has been … mediocre through the first three years of his career, and that would be the perfect word to describe his output in 2023. After Sunday’s 30-12 loss in Tampa Bay, the Jaguars quarterback finds himself on the outside of the top 10 in every major passing category. His numbers have regressed across the board from where they were in 2022 and are nearly as bad as they were under Urban Meyer—the biggest red flag of all.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 25, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Pimpcasso posted:

So you're saying trevor... bust?

I'm definitely getting there. That Daniel Jones comp I posted a few pages back was a real eye opener for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

A good chunk of the bullshit I've seen from Lawrence has nothing whatsoever to do with the o-line. Sorry.