Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
When I try to preregister, it tells me my email address is already in use, by the account I'm obviously already logged into. I don't know what the gently caress it wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

The preregister is super jank honestly, if it's telling you it's in use I'd just assume you're already pre-registered.
The first time I tried, it sounded like they wanted me to preload the game on EGS to finish the process, but I soon learned you can't do that, so I went back to the website and tried to get to that page again to reread it, and that's when it started throwing errors.

Anyway, I downloaded the client from their own site and was able to log into it, so I assume I must have done what it wanted at some point in there. It never explicitly said "Nice, you've successfully preregistered" or anything, though.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Real gamers know you go to war with the army you've got, not the army you want.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

boy I sure love sci fi and anime (not joking)
I'll be gravely disappointed if this game isn't exactly like Vanillaware's magnum opus 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Maxwell Adams posted:

They really decided to call the weapons 'light cones', huh. They actually did that. There wasn't anyone on the translation staff telling themselves that this sounds terrible?

Come on. 'Photon Funnel' was right there.
It's a real term in physics, so it's not like they just pulled it out of nowhere. But it's still not a good name. The connection between what it means and what it represents in-game is pretty tenuous.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 26, 2023

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The game sadly seems to be missing Genshin's best feature, which is listing every character's voice actor on their character sheet. Now how am I supposed to know how bad I am at recognizing them? Tab out and Google it like a caveman?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

open up the in-game phone menu, hit the three dots next to your name at the top, hit 'redemption code'
Redemption? Ha. My sins are far too great to be absolved by a mere menu option.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It annoys the hell out of me that neither Genshin nor Star Rail have any tooltip system at all for the PC version. But I'll give their UI designers this much: they have excellent taste in fonts.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Gepard off the starter banner. gently caress me. I'm tempted to reroll.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
...I also got Gepard's E1 off my 7th roll on the standard banner. I can't even be mad. This is just silly.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 27, 2023

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Well, if it makes you feel any better his first constellation or shard or whatever the gently caress is pretty intensely significant, it makes his freeze application pretty drat consistent to the point where you can actually rely on it proccing rather than it being a nice surprise. Doesn't make up for not getting a different 5 star, but as far as consolation prizes go, it could be worse I guess.
A 5-star at 7 pity is basically free anyway, so it's certainly better than some filler 3-star cone, which is the actual alternative. It's just the worst great luck imaginable.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
How real is the standard banner selector, practically speaking? No chance in hell I'm spending any jade on it, and I haven't made 300 rolls on the standard banner in Genshin even after playing it for 8 months.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I dislike Gepard a lot less now that I realize you can give him speed boots to stop him from having to wait until after the entire enemy team to get his first turn.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Some of us are saving our golden tickets for other stuff, okay? :negative:
Waiting for Kafka is quite a trial.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

MoonCrab posted:

For the lurkers who feel bad about seeing people with multiple 5s: I've got nothing but the guaranteed 5 from the newbie banner and I'm not even remotely close to any pity. There, expectations normalized. You'r welcome....
You can also just baselessly assume that everyone who seems to have better luck than you is secretly whaling, and quietly look down on them. That's another strategy.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

For an actual post, what are all the things I need to do before the end of this week that will get reset? I already bought the 5+5 passes from the shop using wish currency, am trying to hit AR30 so that I can do the higher lvl version of this dungeon that i get 3 clears per week, and I guess go as far as I can in the sim world. Is there anything else that resets?
Apart from the weekly battle pass missions? I think that's it.

Notably, you still get Herta Points for reclearing earlier sim universe levels, if you want to hit the cap and pushing deeper looks like it'll be too painful.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I have enough starlight to get Arlan from the shop before he rotates, and he's one of only two 4-stars I'm missing. But do I care?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I'm guessing these daily missions are still random per account (like with Genshin)? I've gotten a series of (I think) 3 with this guy submitting his goofy papers to a university, and now I'm doing a series of trying to help some researcher who is bad at communicating.

I hope they stay like this and don't start doing "kill some mobs" like in Genshin.
Genshin always gives you one narrative commission like that and three combat commissions every day, so it seems like they've just replaced the combat ones with the Daily Training system here.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Where's the fourth target in the first stage of that domain on the space station where you have to take photos of ghosts to recover their data? I can't find it anywhere.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Jabor posted:

Turn around after you go into that area with the fork, it's tiny and high up above the door you came in.

I think the other ones are pretty obvious so that's probably the one you're missing.
Oh, come on Hoyo! You expect players to look up and behind themselves? Haven't you listened to the Portal developer commentary?

Thanks.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Captain France posted:

There's got to be a limited amount though, right? Killing some mobs is way better than a repeat narrative mission.

I hope there are "just kill some mobs," but they do not turn up until you run out of unique dailies available. That feels like a good compromise between "narrative dailies are way better the first time" and "narrative dailies suck the second time, let alone the second dozenth time."
All they have to do is make sure to add another 50 with every single patch, and then you'll never run out. Easy!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Actually, it's kind of weird that there is zero motivation to go back to an area you've already cleared, let alone fight random enemies, despite the fact that you'll eventually need a ton of their drops.
You can convert them into other types at a 1:2 ratio in the Synthesizer, so as long as you're not constantly pinched on every type all at once and desperately need the efficiency of natural drops, it shouldn't be too big a deal.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

I meant to get started in the game this past weekend but I was moving and it ended up taking far longer than expected. Are there any significant things to know before starting?
You're a regular in the Genshin thread, right? If you know that game well you'll be fine. Even though the structure and combat is completely different, the progression and gacha systems are almost identical. Only real difference is that the novice banner lasts longer and gives you a guaranteed 5-star at the end here.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Is there some way to permanently dismiss the Windows 11 nag message telling you to turn on kernel-mode hardware-enforced stack protection? I can't do that because the one time I tried it it made Hoyo's shady-rear end anti-cheat tool just bluescreen the system.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Man, the level 34 main story lock is kinda harsh. I was only 30 when I got there, and it looks like clearing out my quest log won't even get me to 33.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Don't forget you can use your stamina items to do more stuff for the trailblazer xp. Whatever loot you need, I'm remembering the genshin leveling formula of level > core > abilities > relics on main dps being the order of importance in gearing up mid game. This being turn based I feel like a healthy healer/tanky shielder is also very important.
I was thinking about it. Feels bad to spend them now when I'll get a bigger payoff if I wait until a higher Equilibrium Level, though.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

UHD posted:

while this is certainly true i dont know if spending one or two here and there is going to make a meaningful difference in the long term
If it was only a couple, I probably would, but right now, if I guzzled all 17 I've got it would just barely get me over the line to the next Trailblaze Mission.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 2, 2023

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Qingque seems like the character that benefits the most from their dupes and talents. They turn her from a random as hell skill point drain into something resembling reliable. The real problem with her is her general role of Quantum DPS is just... Completely overshadowed by Seele. Even though Seele's single target her turn chaining probably means she does "AoE" better than Qingque is most instances...
Qingque has the advantage of being free and not costing an average of 15,000 Stellar Jade to unlock. That's good enough for me.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Here's a table showing how much jade you can get from the two main repeatable sources by the time the next few banners are expected to release, starting specifically from today.

This is of pretty limited use without a good estimate of how much you're likely to get from chests and quests and all the other one-time sources, unfortunately.

Also: I've intentionally excluded the 300 Oneiric Shards you get when you first buy each Supply Pass. I assume most people will only use them as a last resort, because Genshin eventually added alternate outfits that you can only buy with those. (And if you include them, the calculation becomes much simpler, because then the Daily Training and Supply Pass together give you exactly enough jade for one roll every day. Almost like they designed it that way!)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Is there a keyboard hotkey for turning on auto-battle?

V, by default. It's rebindable like most other things, but for whatever reason you can only rebind the combat hotkeys if you open the menu while you're already in combat.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I just beat Sim Universe 3 on my second attempt thanks to a pretty wild event. Some lady called "Mei" showed up and gave me all 18 Destruction blessings. Seems good. Made pretty short work of the boss.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Setec_Astronomy posted:

I did my first run of SU5 last night attempting to use this strategy. I saw literally one Abundance blessing in the first 9 floors, and that includes 3 bonus blessings I saw from curios. Kind of crazy that you can get so hosed on blessings that you haven't unlocked your resonance (much less any improvements to it) by the second elite.

You're missing a couple of repeatable sources:
- The SU reward track includes some jades (refreshed weekly)
- The Forgotten Halls will include jades in the repeatable portion (presumably refreshed bi-weekly if following the Genshin pattern)

I don't know at what point people should expect to be strong enough to start clearing the deeper floors of Forgotten Halls. If the numbers are like Genshin, though, that will eventually be one of the biggest repeatable sources.
Yeah, it's definitely not comprehensive. I didn't include the Forgotten Hall because I've got no idea how to account for it either, but the 75 a week from Sim Universe is straightforward enough.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I made it to rank 35, and the last 10 rolls from the new player experience were enough to bring me to my first pity standard banner pity window. I was mentally prepared to be met with Gepard E2, but the fates had mercy on me tonight.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

TV Zombie posted:

So, what character did you pull?
I can't brag about it. That's bad karma. I'll be cursed with 100 years of bad luck.

(It was Bronya.)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

GateOfD posted:

Wish fireblazer had a change of clothes or hair color change though
Should have kept the pulsing LEDs on her RGB gaming dress from Genshin.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I recently learned that the name of the series is "Houkai" (崩壊) in Japanese, but "Honkai" is the intended pronunciation in every other region, as far as I can tell, including the original Chinese(?). The Japanese word "houkai" means "collapse" or "decay", so is "honkai" supposed to have a double meaning in this context, or is it a nonstandard (made-up?) reading that they abandoned for the Japanese release?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, honestly, I fell in love with Silver Wolf and Kafka in the intro and even more with Kafka in world 3 because now I just want to shake her by the shoulders and yell "WHAT IS YOUR DEAL, SEXY MIND CONTROL ASSASSIN???" so hearing they're getting banners made me fall into a dragon-like hoarding pattern that has only very recently been shaken by "ugh, I'm still failing Simu W6 and Forgotten Hall 11" griping.

Seriously, it's appreciated. :unsmith:
All things in due time. This is the tao of gacha.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Oh. So buffs don't tick down and expire until after the reaction window at the end of your turn. So they stay active during any follow-up attacks, which is intuitive enough, but I didn't realize you get a chance to cast your ult with the energy you got from that turn while the buff is still active. That's pretty good. Huge implications for Qingque.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

What is this math question even asking? I may be rusty on this stuff, but frankly I can't even parse this. Is it even a math question, or is it some code?
I couldn't get it either. It doesn't make any sense as a maths question, and the dialogue you get when you give the wrong answer makes it pretty clear that it's not one, but I still don't understand what it was supposed to be about or what answer it wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It depends on what the meaning of "is" is? Do they think they're Bill Clinton?