Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Havent really played a turned based rpg on my phone since like ffbe. Genshin is fine on PC but I can never get my hands to do what they need to do on the phone and it sucks when Im tdy out of town without access to my pc.

So really looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I can easily justify the 5 dollar "subs" for the game since after establishing a good roster it helps scratch the gambling itch without feeling super compelled to splurge. But I also occasionally splurge once or twice a year, but its mostly a "Im at most 3 pulls to guarantee a character that I want" sort of thing and not "I want 6 constellations for my wife"

Hoyoverse pity system is so much better for this than other gachas. People mention cygames pity system being good but I'll take rolling pities any day of the week.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SE has had a lot of recent gacha games burn out in the states but a lot of them were really low effort cash grabs like the seiken densetsu one. Im surprised re:universe hasnt been shuttered yet in global but thats a successful one in japan that has had a lot of content created for it.

Crunchy decides to import games that were already like 4 years old in japan and eventually shutter them a year after release. Its a drat shame what they did to priconnect and I hope they dont bring over uma musume if thats their plan.

I dont think service or gacha games are going anywhere. Yeah its a red ocean, its not free money anymore, but theres still plenty of money there to be had if you release and maintain games properly.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ive been using the name Cao in genshin without issue for like 3 years. Try to use it in Stair Rail and I get a message saying I cant. Fine, for some loving reason it let me use CaoNiMa. Played yesterday and most of today without issues, now Im "A Nameless", thanks mods lmao

It sucks going through the story and everyone calling me A NAMELESS, please let me change my name instead of hitting a cooldown where I have to wait 48 hours

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 27, 2023

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

OK game, I get it I really did not want to play yanqing because of his no hit mechanic but if you are going to give me him in the discount banner and then give me his LC too then I might as well

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

How can we not bully March? She came out of an iceberg with no memories and said "I'll name myself after the date I was rescued" and went with March 7th. Instead of going for the much more sensible option of like Tuesday or something. Hell even just March without the date on the end would've been less silly.

I mean I love her anyways she's a dweeb. The first time I saw some beta footage of the game I legit thought she had like some kind of weird placeholder name for a split second for beta footage.

At least in japanese Mitsuki is a perfectly serviceable name

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So I got Yanqing from the begginer banner, like 20 pulls into the f2p banner got me his LC. Today I bought the 5 f2p tickets and 3 pulls in got an eidoloon for him

Im just going to bee line the story to get the fire trailblazer and pull on the next premium for tingyun. All in on surfer boy for the early part of the game since thats what the game wants me to do apparently.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The ice one is tailored made for Yanqing. The fire one works fine with Hook once she gains the passive that refunds a bit of energy and accelerates her action. Both need batteries to make proper use of the set bonuses.

I still wouldn't farm sets right now just for the bonuses though. Right now hard levels are probably more important than gear.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sure is a feeling to hope to get one of the banner 4* early or whiffing on the 5* for a bronya or clara on the next banner.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

drat I dont know what the gently caress was doing everything but I cleared world 3 without any issues. Gepard spent most of the first 2 phases frozen all the time and the only slightly hairy part was when he activated his shield but it still went down pretty quickly. Some of the blessing combinations I had were doing a lot of work to strip the shield, it was like a recursive loop of damage dots every time serval ultid. It was a joke when the trash died and Yanqing just obliterated him because he had cold vuln because of a blessing and I was going like 4 times in a row

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rememberance is the ice path right? Its killer if you have yanqing. Makes any mob ice weak and in single target fights YQ shreds stun bars.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Whiffed early and got Clara, pulled the fox after a few more 10 pulls. I should sit this one out

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You know the train you are in having a revolver chamber and sights attached to the top makes me think we are going to get a scene where it turns into a huge gun/rifle and I cant wait

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Once again people mistakenly thinking that having multiples of the same element is bad instead of good.

Silverwolf brought me around the idea of building around 2x2 set ups with her and seele making up the core of the quantum portion of it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I was happy when I wiffed and got clara and I will be happy if I wiff and get bailu. Just no more JQs

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I was happy when I wiffed and got clara and I will be happy if I wiff and get bailu. Just no more JQs

Ask and you shall receive. Got Bailu from the standard banner really early into the pity cycle. Gonna save up for Kafka to have a nice lightning component to slot into the Seele + SW swiss knife set up

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

God my Bailu is thick. She has over 5k health without fully upgraded gear at level 70 and shes still missing stat boosting traces

Standard banner stop giving me characters, I want bailus and claras LC.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Welp, I did 2 rolls on the banner hoping to get a constellation for pella or yukong and did get them + Luo. This throws a wrench in how I was planning on using energy to build my roster. I wasnt planning on actually leveling yukong to 70+ yet and now I need to get her and Luo up to be the imaginary element of the SW + Seele comp.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Walla posted:

I tried a Quantum + Imaginary team but it didn't work for me. The break effects of both compete with each other in a weird way. But I'm still leveling and tracing my teams so maybe you'll have better luck.

Also congrats! Luocha is great.

The way I see it, if you are using SW in your party then anything that isnt quantum break is conflicting. It becomes a management game where you want to have SW snipe out the break and then exploit the added damage.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

LMAO at Lynx kit being apparently a healer that buffs the aggro on destruction and preservation characters that she uses her skill on. And Fu Xuan's kit is better than initially thought so it looks like she's going to be solid for characters that want to get hit but dont want aggro taken away from them. And Luocha is great for counter attack based characters. Clara just keeps getting support

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Got done with the story quest and some people are crazy when it comes the music. Wildfire might have a cool drop but Pedujara is miles ahead from a composition standpoint

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MoonCrab posted:

Been informed that both of the 5 star lads want Luocha pretty bad. Puts a bit of a damper on things :(

Well, story mode and sim universe don't need 2 healers, at least ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

No one "needs" luocha, him being the best healer means that any offensive comp that benefits from sustain is going to prefer him.

Like look at clara, she triggers a counter attack every time she gets hit which makes her and the party drat near unkillable while the field is active.

But a 4 star is going to come out soon that provides her more likelyhood to get targetted and more damage, so its not really clear cur it you prefer her or Luocha on content. Chances are each will have a place in comps with her.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 24, 2023

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bailu is great if you are fighting electric weak mobs and have seele + SW. Shes your sustain healer with Ting as a buffer

Natasha is the character I've completely replaced. Most tough physical weak monsters are also weak to imaginary or lightning so with Luocha she just doesnt have a place in isolation team comps.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

I... I think there's been a misunderstanding because I don't actually see how this addresses any of the points I have made. Yes, of course the game and its surrounding fanspaces act as advertisements for the game. The point is just that if you stop playing entirely, stop engaging with Star Rail at all for months at a time, then you naturally stop paying any attention to all that stuff and realize you don't miss it. This is simply how the human brain works. Getting you to log on every day is a way of keeping Star Rail in your mind even when content comes out slowly.

Edit: How closely do you follow patch notes for games you haven't played in years? How often do those patch notes encourage you to start playing again?

Just about every game with seasonal content is meant to be played in bursts. Mostly every 3 months I log into PoE for a few weeks to play through the new season content, I'm doing this with diablo 4 right now. Sometimes I skip a league / season. Earlier I logged into Black Desert to start a character that I hadn't played yet.

But "Not played in years" is a bit different. I haven't logged into FFXIV since I beat the latest expansion but about a month before the new expansion hit I usually log in to do all the previous patch cycle content and play the new expansion when it comes out.

Lots of companies would rather have you engaged, but short turnaround release schedules every 3 months is a standard in maintaining mind share and having people come back. People that come back in bursts are also big spenders.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hunt is the most straight forward but it all depends on party composition. If you have a energy neutral party and have a character like Seele then yeah its very powerful but destruction at low health provides more relative damage and protection. Abundance makes your party essentially immortal so you can pretty much clear any SU with any team as long as you dont mind going slow. I love clara elation hybrid setups, wish we had a physical harmony character that synergized harder with follow up attacks.

Jabor posted:

Elation is bad unless your carry is built around follow-ups or you get the 3* blessing that makes it also affect your ultimates (at which point it's really just a big DPS boost, so why not pick Hunt and not have to roll the dice on getting that blessing?), Destruction is just uninspiring but maybe someone has made it work somehow.

Elation is silly if you get it rolling right. Imagine having clara hit for like 300k counter attacking but she does it like 3 times because the boss and his trash keep slamming into her

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I still dont get why they just dont use zulu time and release the character on all servers at the same time.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Whiffed and got yan e2. Gonna sit now till Fu comes out

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think in a vacuum its fair to say that star rail just wouldn't have done this well without Genshin. I'd love to see the sort of proportional sales for star rail on platforms (Phones / PC) because it just meshes better for phones than Genshin and thats where the big money is at.

Also theres more money in gaming now than in the yesteryears. FFXVI will outsell older FF games on raw numbers during the first weeks of release, which is amazing considering how diminished something like the japanese console gaming market is compared to its heyday. Lifetime sales will pale in comparison for a variety of reasons

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

If I pull Lynx and dont have enough for my guaranteed Fu then I'll sit and wait for Topaz. Honestly Topaz would probably be better for me to set up a follow up team with Clara and Lynx, but what debuffer/buffer should I tie to the group?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Zurai posted:

Unlikely. IIRC she has the highest theoretical DPS in the game. Topaz will boost that further, and as far as I know, there are zero characters in the pipeline with a similar role.

I dont know, even when shes geared to the teeth she wont do as much damage as other carries. But the big thing is that she does good damage in an aoe while tanking. And Lynx will fix the primary issue of not getting hit as frequently and no one benefits from Topaz buffs as much as her.

SR is really knocking it out of the park so far when creating characters that slot neatly into party comps so even normal banner 5*s get support.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Had enough to keep pulling to get lynx to e4. Pulled Fu on the second, pulled E1 on the 4th. In total like 8 pulls

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

LMAO third pull from the free tickets for leveling the new characters gets me Bailu's LC. Probably going to slap it into lynx

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Do we know what 4* LC to give Fu? I have Landaus Choice, SI4 We are Wildfire and SI4 Day One

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

My clara is critting for like 40k on mobs with just Lynx attack buff while her ult is running. Cant wait to see her with topaz and some defense shreds or more party buffs.

Of course this is without any SI shenanigans. I'm going to have fun when Topaz comes out doing follow up attack runs

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

This week free tickets gave me Gepard and E5 Asta. I have enough currency to get his lightcone but I was holding off in case I got Bronya.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Eh I think her damage is fine. The latest showcase with the new set is having her do 100k+ damage per enhanced numby FUA on a dude thats not particularly good at doing speed runs. I've also seen empowered clara hitting for 100k on her enhanced counter attacks thanks to her support. Its enough damage to get you by any content of the game plus it lets you do groups that are not fully supported yet.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

LMAO early 5*, its hunt, Yanqing again! Well next time he shows up its at least a E4

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

drat elation path with with clara and topaz is fun. Having topaz wipe a dude out and then numby doing a follow attack killing another dude, then the enemy attacks clara and gets owned by her counter attack and numby following up.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I feel like the HDR got cranked up on the PS5 version.

If this game needed anything, it was to be brighter. Especially in combat.

HDR is straight up not working for me on the PC right now. I dont know how they broke the thing

e- Yep its reported, I guess they added a brightness option for hdr in ps5 and somehow borked the pc auto hdr. Have to disable the feature in windows if you dont want it to look super washed out

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They fixed the PC HDR issue