Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Guys Ive been in a coma since 2017 and just woke up for a fantasy football draft, how did i do? 12 team yahoo standard

Help with team names?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I don't love going old RB and old WR in the first two rounds. I think you're carrying a lot of injury risk in a lot of places. I don't think c-patt and russ are rosterable. you're better off grabbing lottery ticket RB's off waivers.

I was hoping Kelce would fall :( but failing that I guess I'm hoping the Rodgers / Davante stack is still a good strategy

Silly Burrito posted:

Guys Ive been in a coma since 2017

Calvin ball league winner silly burrito is still here??? My Guy :boom:

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions yall

Silly Burrito posted:

:hfive:

Was literally talking about that league today. That was fun as hell.

Bro I still remember your mystery box rule ahahha. I peeked in the year after i retired and was :smith: yall didnt continue but I guess commissioning was too much of a PITA

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The Old and the Onerous

odc still here too?? :getin:

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

pmchem posted:

has there ever been a season when the same team produced two RBs in the top 20 of fantasy scoring (non-PPR)?

I kind of wonder if ATL has a chance to do it this season

Its happened a couple times with Gio/Jeremy Hill, Bush/Joique so it wouldnt be crazy

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Drunk Nerds posted:

Bouta do my BML draft! 14 teams, most of which have been auctioning for 15+ years.

Shots of tequila to start, after every break, and for every procedural error. Note: This does not lead to fewer procedural errors.

Letsgo!!!!

This was after the TNF game right? can you post the values for the chiefs/lions players? specifically wanted to see how mckinnon and monty/gibbs values were impacted

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

odc just said "lol puka nacua is a funny name" and hit submit

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Hot take but Kadarius is a good buy low, he was the only KC player getting any separation and his historically high drop % couldnt possibly get any higher....right?

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Still MNF to play but your QB Fantasy Leaders through WK2:

1. Kirk Cousins
2. Jordan Love
3. Justin Herbert
4. Patrick Mahomes
5. Russel Wilson

Zach Wilson has more yards than Joe Burrow

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Docjowles posted:

Gonna be annoyed if Hill is limited / sits and Waddle can’t benefit at all cause he’s in concussion protocol

River Cracraft breakout game

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Docjowles posted:

Ok I absolutely have to get off the Danny Dimes ride before it sinks my season. Potential options:

1) Say gently caress it and stream. The "best" options are like Goff/Howell/Stafford/Mac Jones level in this league, there's no Purdy or Cousins sitting on waivers

2) I could probably trade Terry McLaurin for Anthony Richardson. This would still leave me with Adams, Waddle, Addison, and <insert hot waiver guy> at WR (2 WR + flex 0.5 PPR league)

3) Trade for Cousins or Dak. But I know this guy and he is going to ask for like a WR1 for a stupid QB rotting on his bench. Maybe I could also talk him down to McLaurin?

42069) Ride or die with Dimes

Would you pull the trigger on McLaurin for Richardson to get out from under Daniel Jones, or is that just trading one wildly inconsistent maniac on a bad team for another? The deal wouldn't go through til next week at this point so Richardson should be over his concussion at least.

Staff has a safe floor and Rams are dead last in pass TD/rush TD% in the league which will surely normalize. Jones will ~probably be fine, just ran into cowboys and niners in the first couple weeks, he was QB1 against AZ and has homerun potential in plus matchups.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Floofy posted:

I have Carr as my QB2 in superflex, and the best on the waiver for replacement in Stafford. That’s great except that his bye is week 10 ( the same as Mahomes, my QB1). No one is biting on trades (i can try for fields, but not sure if that’s an upgrade), is it better to roll without a second QB is superflex until Carr figures his poo poo out? I’d assume with Kamara back things should look up a bit

Neither Staff nor Carr should be on waivers in a superflex league

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

I'm starting Josh Kelley v MIN over Derrick Henry @ CLE, AMA

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

why in the wide world of sports would you do that?

A coward is incapable of living, it is the prerogative of the brave.

Quiet Feet posted:

What did you hit your head on?

Fear lives in the head, courage lives in the heart. The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Sataere posted:

Love this answer lol. Let me preface this by saying I still think you're crazy for doing this. But I also think Kelley is gonna have a top five week this week and did the exact same thing with Kelley and Aaron Jones.

Genius is never understood in its time.

abelwingnut posted:

even with henry being tennesseed, he still outscored kelley, 2 to 1.95.

It's PPR so kelley 2.7 to henry 2.0 for me i lost to mostert but still won the mental game

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

Raheem Mostert scored 1 rushing touchdown in week one. 2 in week two. 3 in week three. At this current rate, the only thing we need to ask ourselves is what is going to happen during Miami's bye week? Since it's week 10 of the NFL season, will he somehow still score 10 TDs, or will he have to wait until week 11 to score 10, thus breaking the matching TDs/weeks phenomenon? Or will he skip from 9 in week 9 to 11 in week 11?

In any case, using this model we can clearly see that he'll tie Ladainian Tomlinson's rushing touchdown record in week 7 and will surpass it in week 8. If my math is correct he should finish with between 143 and 171 TDs on the year.

During bye week his touchdowns will go byebye and you have to start counting all over again

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Docjowles posted:

Everett has the problem of competition from Donald Parham, whereas Musgrave (or Schultz) really has the job to himself. Everett is also getting low value targets between the 20's whereas Parham seems to sub in in the red zone and catch TDs. I would rather have Musgrave's situation. And again, he arguably should have 2 TDs already. If he did people would be falling over themselves to add him.

I'm not really interested in Taysom's bullshit tbh. Maybe any given week will be the one the Saints feel like giving him 10 carries and 5 pass attempts :iiam: But when they don't feel frisky he's a zero, he gets like 1 target a game as a "tight end"

Taysom's value is in sending trades offering "T Hill" and hoping your opponent has face blindness

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Drunk Nerds posted:

Who cares? I'm not trying to win 4th place in my leagues, I'm trying to win it all. Getting an explosive rookie on the potential second coming of the Greatest Show on Turf wins leagues. Correctly Min/Maxing my FAB 3 weeks into the season at the risk of missing out on a potential top RB wins 4th place.

Greatest Show on Surf

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Dango Bango posted:

Is it too galaxy-brained to grab Roschon Johnson off waivers (dropping Allgeier) to flex over one of Olave, Pickens, Atwell?

I feel like it's a boom-or-bust play, don't really trust Chicago's OL, and Herbert is getting more touches. At the same time though, if Denver allows rushing like it did last week...

Zag when everyone else is zigging. Roschon over Olave.

If you are flexing olave I assume you have the game won and can opt into meme plays without consequence.

Fight Club Sandwich fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 2, 2023

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’ve been debating waddle over zay flowers since yesterday lol

I read that buffalo’s defense has kept WRs to only 21pts per game, so I’m leaning Flowers over waddle

You have to look at the opponents for the vs. stats: BUF held WRs but when you look a little closer they contained Zach Wilson and Sam Howell while Davante ate. EZ Waddle start

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

I realize how dumb it sounds but I'm starting Nico Collins over Jaylen Waddle

quote:

Fantasypros Rankings for Week 4

Fight Club Sandwich fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Oct 1, 2023

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I appreciate that your sit/start choices are at least consistently insane :v: No half measures

Vargo posted:

Can I interest you in Blue Shell League, where sometimes it is in your best interest to lose or score ridiculously low or bench your studs?

I think you'd be a natural.

tarbrush posted:

I could understand if Collins was playing a soft D, but that's Pittsburgh man

abelwingnut posted:

you do not sit anyone who is possibly playing in the shootout of the season. even backups.

you have to, have to, have to start waddle over collins.

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Agreed. Play everyone in that game.

quote:

Benched Waddle for Nico for +27 and the W

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I love everything about what you are doing

An airplane can only take off by going against the wind, never with it

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Been messing around in tableau. lmk if there's better metrics to visualize or any feedback re: clearer way to present this stuff

quote:

WR Matchups

Unpressured rate is % where the opposing QB was not hurried, hit, or sacked. Think of it as a proxy for quality pass attempt - you'd much rather start WRs against DEN than TEN even though enemy fantasy WR points are similar

RB Matchups

Color gradient is Tackle For Loss% - Fantasy RBs are scoring similarly against CLE and PHI but the data shows CLE are better at stuffing RBs behind the line while teams have been abandoning the run against PHI

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

pmchem posted:

fun post. what’s your data source if someone wanted to try similar analysis?

fantasy points allowed is 0.5 ppr and from https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/points-allowed.php, real football stuff is defensive stats from https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2023/opp.htm

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I actually have Achane and Puka lol so that’s interesting :thunk: But giving up Achane is also terrifying with how he’s playing. I’m not sure it’s a fluke, he looks awesome.

Guys like Achane are why we play fantasy. Cool name, easy to root for team, smol man running circles around enormous man - if you offered me Diggs for Achane I'd tell you go to fk yourself

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

mega dy posted:

Is Tee Higgins going to have value going forward? Got offered him in a trade.

You can trade for him so long as the risk is baked into the offer price. Like it wouldnt surprise me if Tee puts up WR1/2 numbers on the back half of the season but you shouldn't have to pay anywhere near face value for him.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Starting Wan'Dale Robinson over Nico Collins. I know it feels crazy but it also feels right

quote:

Consensus W5 Rankings

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

well you see as one who falls for the gambler's fallacy, week 2 was a boom for Nico, week 3 was a bust, week 4 was a boom, so week 5 will be a bust, this game is very easy folks

My methodology also includes horoscopes and oracle bones but you are otherwise surprisingly close

Dango Bango posted:

Are you the against the wind guy? Because this is some galaxy-brained poo poo.

e: lol missed the rest of the new posts

Week 3 - Sit Derrick Henry (2.0), Start Josh Kelley (2.7): +0.7, still lost
Week 4 - Sit Jaylen Waddle (8.6), Start Nico Collins (35.8): +27.2, turned L into W
Week 5 - Sit Nico Collins (?), Start Wan'Dale Robinson (?): ??

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

RCarr posted:

I mean you have to play the odds. What’s more likely to happen, a guy who’s been playing great to have a good game? Or a team who’s O-line has been letting 2 guys run through the line untouched constantly with a quarterback who can’t throw the ball breaking out and specifically to one receiver?

Robinson’s “breakout” would be what Collins is averaging each game at best

The coward asks what is safe, the wise man asks what is right

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

RCarr posted:

C’mon man

mcmagic posted:

What possible reason is there to be bullish on the Giants' passing game?

Matt Zerella posted:

Wandale is absolutely a bench stash or flex but you don't start him over Nico Collins lmbo

kiimo posted:

Nico Collins is #2 in all wide receivers in 20+ pass plays but sure bench him

It is better to try to do something and fail than to try to do nothing and succeed

Week 3 - Sit Derrick Henry (2.0), Start Josh Kelley (2.7): +0.7, still lost
Week 4 - Sit Jaylen Waddle (8.6), Start Nico Collins (35.8): +27.2, L -> W
Week 5 - Sit Nico Collins (3.9), Start Wan'Dale Robinson (1.9): -2, still won

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Idk if you saw my posts but I lost SunGod and swapped in Wandale and rode with you. Didn't work out great but he outscored Sanders so it was the right move.

Respect

Poque posted:

I'm probably just going to start Howell over Dak at this point. Dak is garbage.

Riding with Wan'Dale was the right move given my team unless I was going to start a second TE (Schultz) at flex (I was not going to do this)

We're not wrong, we're just early

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Sataere posted:

It really is fascinating. As a collective, we make assumption on the season and are like 75% wrong, yet still act like we know what we are doing.

Completely true and I'm going to use it as an excuse to show off some charts I made. Basically experts are all frauds and predictions are all garbage. Image below shows top 30 WR Preds vs. WR results for Week 5. Grey is the range of pregame rankings and there is no correlation with fantasy points scored. "Experts" are cowards who bunch their rankings around each other and have zero predictive value for setting fantasy lineups (or any other purpose)

Shown another way - week 5 top scoring WRs vs. their pregame rankings. Of the top 30 scorers, barely half were ranked in the top 30 before the games were played (a few ranked 100 or below :2monocle:). Green is when error margin was within 5 ranks which is pretty close for predictions but i mean a couple are gonna be close just by random chance.

RB isnt any better. I wanted more than one week of data but fantasy sites erase their predictions every week and these results are worse than I thought and im not sure more data would even be valuable

tl;dr the "most accurate" award on fantasypros is a clown award for the luckiest clown. It's your fantasy team - Be a Free Thinker, start whoever you want.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

In defense of Fantasy Kickers

1) Kickers routinely win irl football games so it makes sense they should win fantasy football games too
2) Kickers add variance, and variance is healthy when casuals play with sweaty tryhards
3) It's cool to have Gay on your roster
4) Kickers are random and dumb but fantasy is kinda random and dumb too

If every manager is a football degen then by all means get rid of the position but kickers are A Good Thing in casual leagues

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

hello i will be playing Trenton Irwin over Marquise Brown this week 6 of the NFL season. If Higgins plays I may swap out Irwin for Boyd or I might diamonds hands it, tbd

quote:

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

You're the football version of that part in groundhog day when bill murray repeatedly tries to kill himself but is unable to

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

hello i will be playing Trenton Irwin over Marquise Brown this week 6 of the NFL season. If Higgins plays I may swap out Irwin for Boyd or I might diamonds hands it, tbd

Victory lapping this even though nobody called me crazy. I hope it's bc y'all are starting to Believe that expert rankings are a joke and that fantasy experts are the north korean generals meme where they have jackets full of fake medals

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

The overly broad term "league winner" gets thrown around a lot so i thought of a way to quantify and settled on comparing average fantasy points per game vs. their draft peers (+3/-3 at the same position). I split into separate RB vs WR graphs since one chart was too noisy.

The interpretation is that ETN gives you a 7.5 PPG advantage over the RBs drafted around him. I set the league winners line at a 6 point draft advantage since Brian Robinson being called a league winner doesnt feel right, and also bc I love Monty.

Fewer WR league winners reinforces that it's harder to find a positional advantage at WR since there's so much production there and also suggests WR ADP is ~accurateish relative to RB. I couldnt think of an objective way to adjust for DJM's 45 point game so it's just skewing his position here. Still, the other guys make sense, I knew Keenan was doing great but underestimated how late he was going in drafts (ridley/deebo tier).

Some potential improvements:
  • A dynamic definition for peers: for example, widening the peer groups after RB10, RB20 etc since the expected production for RB1 vs. RB10 is much greater than for RB30 vs. RB40.
  • Fantasy PPG doesnt account for games missed - Aaron Jones is showing favorably here but managers are frustrated with his permanent questionable tag.
  • Maybe different definitions for "league winner" - these guys are heavily discounted tickets to the playoffs but winning a championship means winning in weeks 14-17 which is a completely different analysis
  • Still i think the charts ~feel right to me so not keen on spending a lot of time refining

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Gobias Ind. posted:

That's the point though. He's trying to address the phenomenon of a FA pickup or trade target being labeled as a "league winner". Someone that can put your team over the top. You obviously likely need to hit on your first couple picks. Nobody is calling Tyreek a league winner in that sense because he was a consensus first rounder and the kind of foundation you need on a team for your mid-season pickups to matter.

Exactly this! Said another way: picking Tyreek over his draft peers (Diggs/AJB) is only a 4.5 PPG advantage which is nice but not league winning, whereas grabbing Keenan Allen over his peers (DK Metcalf tier, 11 PPG advantage) absolutely is. Also nicely illustrates how unlucky CeeDee Lamb drafters are even though his PPG doesnt look that bad.

Also re: CMC, the chart shows that even at his very high draft premium, McCaffrey is still conferring an 8 point advantage over even the other elite drafted RBs, def counts as league winning imo.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I love these so much. Keep doing them!

Thanks! I'm in the "just tinkering with different ways to visualize data" phase so LMK if there's any datasets you'd be interested in seeing visualized

e:

saintonan posted:

I think it's a valuable chart to see who the late bloomers are this season (to be super clear, I really like the chart), but maybe "league winner" isn't the right term then. More people are going to win leagues because they drafted Reek and Diggs instead of JJ and Chubb than because they drafted Allen or Achane later.

Using total fantasy points instead of PPG as the base for value would better reflect season injuries but would also overstate the impact of BYEs and 1-2 wk minor injuries. Still, total ~might be a better way to think about this, thanks for the feedback !

Fight Club Sandwich fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 22, 2023

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Another great week for accurate fantasy expert predictions. blue is the range of BEST to WORST pregame rank, orange square shows where they finished.

Big yikes, just throw darts. Top 5 ranked RBs finished as RB17, RB35, RB37, RB24, and RB4 :monocle:

Sorted by top scorers instead since there's so little overlap between top ranked and top finishers. I dont want to captain hindsight too much but it's completely absurd that not a single person in the entire realm of fantasy "experts" forecasted JT to be elite or that Aaron Jones' hammy would cap his usage or that a Rams RB might finish top 20. I completely understand the other side but at least one person should have predicted one of those outcomes

Takeaways:
  • Experts are mostly all cowards who bunch their rankings around each other, and their weekly predictions are completely meaningless.
  • Exception for the guy who ranked Gibbs as RB42, respect for having your own opinion :)
  • Deciding who to roster is infinity% more important than deciding who to start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

ElectricRelaxation posted:

This is really cool. Can I ask how many expert rankings you used and where they're from? I'm curious if any sources seemed consistently better than the others, and also how accurate the mode for each range was. Like did one dude just nail Etienne at 4 and everyone else had him as a low end RB1, or were most people having him as a top 5 RB and just a couple guys placed him at 10; or maybe without that one dude putting Gibbs that low, his range was all in the top 20. Thanks!

It's fantasypros ECR - every week ~200 experts publish their rankings and ECR is "most accurate experts with recent updates" so fpros tosses the rankings published on tuesday before a guy sprains his ankle during practice. This week's ECR was 53 experts grabbed on saturday before the games were played. Idk if there's any option to see the specific data points, the top page only shows ECR, best, worst, avg, and STD DEV.

-ETN was preranked consensus #5 with STD DEV of 1.5 so ~reasonably clustered around 4-6 and the guy who ranked him 10th is an outlier, so it seems experts are respecting ETN as an elite back.
-Gibbs was preranked consensus #20 with STD DEV of 5.7 so dispersed data over his 12-42 range. you may be able to find specific rankings on fantasypros but im too lazy to search through the menus

Judgy Fucker posted:

Contrived analogy I'll probably get ribbed for, but...

It really is like playing Magic: the Gathering (or any other card game). There's absolutely skill tests involved: building your deck, sideboarding between matches, piloting your deck well. Lots of point where a player's ability helps them win. But sometimes 8 of the top 10 cards in your deck are lands and you just lose no matter what you do, it was just destined to happen. Fantasy feels a lot that way: drafting is a skill test, knowing who to roster and who to start is a skill test, but sometimes injuries or bad QBs or whatever happens and you just eat poo poo.

Agreed on most of this but the data suggests that sit vs start is not a skill test, or at least that experts do not have that skill.

Probably some experts can do ROS rankings reasonably reliably but a sample size of one game has too much variance for anyone to succeed consistently. Deckbuilding = roster management = skill; Individual draws = sit/start = luck.