Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Koorisch posted:

So i'm guessing that Matt Horner is supposed to be the Magistate stand-in from SC1 since they can't have the player character be a person?

I think basically everyone comes to this conclusion.
One wonders why the gently caress Matt isn't the Magistrate and what was Blizzard smoking.

Anyways, SC1 Terran magistrate has hosed off, Brood War Terran player was presumably killed by Kerrigan, the SC1 and Brood War cerebrates (I don't think there's information on if they were the same cerebrate or different ones) are gone, SC1 Protoss player was Fenix IIRC* and I vaguely recall having heard the Brood War Protoss player is actually a character in Legacy.

I should probably :filez: Legacy and check out the campaign one of these days.

*EDIT: I did not recall correctly, it was Artanis

Omobono fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tenebrais posted:

I think the SC1 Protoss executor was supposed to be Artanis?

This is correct, I got my Protoss mixed up.
I think he's still alive by SC2.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Fajita Queen posted:

There may be a bomb or injected poison or some other poo poo that goes off if marines get their suits removed illegally.

The correct answer though is "don't think about it too hard, it's a blizzard story"

It's this.

Starcraft has always been the softest of science fictions, or to quote that unit from 1 "This is not warcraft 2 in space" (it totally is).
Tychus has something to keep him in check. An AI in the suit watching his every step. A quantum entanglement doohickey* broadcasting everything to Mensgk. A psionic 8-ball divining a betrayal. A farseer for warcraft that got isekai-d in starcraft and is in Mengsk's employ. A D&D cleric. The girls scouts. Renegade commander Shepard. Details don't matter.

*Morbo: "Quantum mechanics does not work that way!"

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Natural 20 posted:

I'm a fan of unit showcase if only because of how boring Heart of the Swarm is by comparison when you get roach hydra and it solves every mission instantly.

Well, at least it isn't mutalisk mutalisk this time 'round.

Horner stuff: as I said, basically everyone that played 1 assumes Horner is the magistrate. It simply makes sense. So he isn't because :blizzard: (in my head it's similar to :ccp: but the dude is Metzen snorting lines of coke)

Kerrigan stuff: :agreed:
I mean retcons are to be expected in this kind of creative media because of a lot of factors that can ultimately be summed up with :capitalism: and the realities of videogame production but yeah, there's a strong disconnect from the Queen Bitch of the universe and the Kerrigan we get in 2.
(although the chitin/bone high heels were a fukken strong warning sign wtf blizzard)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I understand that it's a gameplay conceit they didn't think too much about, but having an alive Zerg specimen is just asking for trouble no matter the containment measures.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, that does seem kind of cavalier? But I'm sure everything will be all right, and that nothing bad will happen with the Zerg specimen later in the story :)

I played this game but I forgot most minor details, so I genuinely don't remember if the Zerg specimen causes trouble later.
That was a simple observation based on basically all fiction involving aggressive biological agents ever.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Yeah I don't see much point in the planetary fortress. Is the other CC upgrade available in the campaign?

Stupid sexy Tosh.

But I like his Evil'darim punching party proposal.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

They're anti-heavy-aircraft antiair that lose against the Protoss' main heavy aircraft. And I can't remember but I assume mutas still eat them alive. At least in 1 they could take down carriers, provided you had the dropship micro to carry them around.
They bad.

Like everyone else has said, why the gently caress would you use them instead of more mariness? Dealing with splash damage units can be solved by other parts of the Terran loadout.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The laser here is one of Tychus' ultimates in HoTS. The other one is from another mission.

I think you're supposed to use the laser to deal with the bases if you go that route. Remove key pylons, get a bioball and a couple tanks in position to clean up.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Uuuggghh here we go with removing any kind of edge from the Queen Bitch of the universe.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

FoolyCharged posted:

3) Zeratul yells "doooooooom! But I refuse to explain. I must go now!" wait no, this part is exactly the same.

Well, no, as you pointed out he handed Jim a magic space dvd player between the doooom! and going back to his home planet.
Zeratul 3 - 0 Medivh

Man, the internissions after these mystic vision missions get another vibe when you know Jim is supposed to be an alcoholic.

Horner: yes sir the magic rock gave you a vision and that's why you stared into space unresponsive for hours
Tosh: I believe him
Jim: stay out of this Tosh

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Felinoid posted:

I kinda figured the Xel'Naga became the cerebrates, because they're corpulent, bickering endlessly, and constantly doing dumb things.

The cerebrates were competent though.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

PurpleXVI posted:

Can you believe my memory completely edited out this mission?

:same:

Full agreement on the rest of the post too.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hwurmp posted:

Hey Stetmann, I stared into the magic rock for an hour and it told me how we can fully streamline our gas production

have you heard of these things called..."ro-bots"

Well, Stetmann's magic space rock is helping* the dude with his protoss research so it's plausible Zeratul's magic space rock joined on a conference call.

*probably more "forking over blueprints" when it's been entertained by the ape's antics enough

I got nothing on the Zerg research

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Warmachine posted:

Fun fact: Brood War taught me how to touch-type, because chicken-peck isn't going to work when you're trying to talk smack mid game.

:cheers: :respek:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tychus swiped both the Odin and the laser from the siege tank mission and carried them to Heroes of the Storm as his ultimates.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Does the disruptor work on you-know-which-unit? I mean Kerrigan

The mind control one obviously doesn't.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

BlazetheInferno posted:

Guess it only had the one, and no one thought to restock it.

Everyone thought about it and then looked at Tychus.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Poil posted:

Maybe it's Mobious that handles everything Tychus, including monitoring (if they even bother), and they probably don't give the tiniest poo poo about what he does unless it were to go against THEIR plans.

As we've now met Mr Emil "totally not Samir Duran the Xel'naga" Narud, I think this post is correct.
Mengsk thinks Tychus is his spy in the Raiders. Tychus thinks Mengsk is his boss. But everything goes through Moebius, so Duran is the one actually calling the shots.

E: IIRC, Raynor had zero interactions with Duran back in Brood War so it's not like he could possibly know or realize any of this.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 14, 2023

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

BisbyWorl posted:

Yeah, but even if no one in the main cast knows it's just insulting that Blizzard went for something as low effort as the ol' 'just flip their name bro' plan. Especially for someone who's been working towards this for god knows how long.

Were we players not supposed to realize Narud is Duran?
I tend to treat the ol' Alucard flip as a strictly meta thing*, a way to tell the viewers this guy is the villain in disguise without actually making the disguise faulty in-universe.

*unless it's literally Dracula/Alucard, nobody gets any excuse for that one

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kerrigan being invulnerable isn't the problem. She's scary if engaged.
It's that when she starts searching a building she can't do poo poo. She's not scary if you can drop a marine next to her for a spot of tea and a nice chat without repercussions.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

BisbyWorl posted:

But they could have put in some work over just handing it over to the player. Name him after Alex Rhodes or something to maintain a Duran Duran connection and throw in a few innocuous lines that might fly over a new player's head but start setting off alarm bells if you've played BW.

SoundwaveAU posted:

Of course they intended for people to spot it, c'mon. Kerrigan even says in this very mission that she's "seen through Dr. Narud's pathetic charade", so if there were any players who didn't notice, that would also tip them off that something wasn't right with this guy.

I kinda wish Kerrigan actually said outright that Narud is a Xel'naga. It's not like anyone would believe her after Brood War and any kind of in-universe check on the guy would come out as clean as Mr. Clean's forehead (because Narud knows what he's doing).

I think the only other person that could see through Narud's disguise is Zeratul; good luck finding his forward address at "xel'naga ruins avenue n° 423729, planet buttfuck, sector nowheresville".

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

To answer Bibsy: yes, the Evil'darim were more than willing to throw themselves into the sun with the artifact.
Fukken cultists.

And don't they realize that artifact belongs in a museum anyways? :Indiana Jones:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I had forgotten Anduin Wrynn* here was on paper the leader of Moebius. It would make the corp a juicy target for Narud to infiltrate.

*WOW character

E: and I kinda like Valerian in this game. There's the tension wondering if Jim is going to get Mengsk-ed again by another Mengsk and he has echoes of his dad's political savyness in 1, even as he's clearly not fully ready for whatever poo poo he's planning. Some of this was even intended by the writers.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 22, 2023

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Lt. Danger posted:

I think they put it in because it's cool

Well, yeah, Jim and Tychus being badass against Dominion troops should be cool as hell.
It's a pity it makes no sense because Valerian is here to parley so why the gently caress did he send his troops to die pointlessly?

What if the mooks got a lucky shot in? We're not in a story where it makes sense for people to know that a character has plot armour and will survive no matter what.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Cythereal posted:

Nope. The infested commander mixes things up quite a bit. Infested banshees can burrow, fire infested terrans in eggs instead of rockets, and in one of the commander's variants, do double duty as dropships air dropping more zombies into the fray.

One of their summonable units is a brutalisk with Odin parts grafted onto it.

At this point a character we haven't met yet (first appearance HotS) is just showboating. What's the next project, giant mutalisks producing scourge like they were interceptors?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kith posted:

SC2 Co-op manages to be fun by:
  • Never giving a poo poo about story

Exhibit A: Thrall's angry quote in Heroes of the Storm; Thrall: "Wait, what? What do you mean, there's lore in this game? You guys actually paid someone to write a story about Raynor meeting Diablo? Isn't this precisely what fan fiction is for?!" (growls) "I didn't approve any of this!"
(https://heroesofthestorm.fandom.com/wiki/Thrall/Quotes has audio, scroll down to the end of "click quotes" for this one)

Exhibits B to D: hearthstone, One night in Karazhan, Saviors of Uldum, and Felfire festival trailers.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tenebrais posted:

Okay now I know you're taking the piss

On one hand, that units looks like a scout, moves and shoots like a scout, and it's called the scout.

On the other hand it's not horribly overpriced and it has an actually good ground attack, so is it really a scout?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Bio-steel is on the Protoss research column, right? It should work like Protoss shields: no regeneration in combat, massive regeneration kicking in ~10 seconds since the last time the unit took damage. Shields are 2HP/s = 120HP/minute IIRC.
More energy would still be better but right now Bio-steel is simply useless.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

BisbyWorl posted:

Zerg tier 4, actually.

Funnily enough, two other places we'll be seeing has Bio-Steel, and both of them are infinitely better. One bumps the regen up to 2hp/s, and the other goes to 10hp/s if you stay out of combat for a few seconds.

Oh, right, it's improved Zerg regen on your mechs and ships. Too bad zerg regen is kinda bad and the reason nobody complains it's because it's baseline and free.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

CommissarMega posted:

Might as well bite the bullet and vote for listening to Ariel. I have to say her name because I've seen enough fanart to know that a lot of people think Selendis is cute.

Kith posted:

also it's pretty hosed up that you're implying that selendis isn't cute

Jim's greatest nightmare, two cute girls asking him for opposing favours.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

To link to something that popped up earlier in the thread, what the writers could have used is that Jim has some Protoss backing. If Zeratul had handed Jim (or Swann or Stetmann) an old template for the protoss probes' AI we could explain how this ragtag band of insurgents has access to toys that absolutely need strong logistics chains to function: because most of the crew has been replaced by automated systems.

Now, our new shiny battlecruisers are actually Valerian's so the question becomes how junior is hiding a fleet from daddy, but the point that sci-fi writers never think about scale or logistics still stand.
For one, how is the Hyperion still functional, fueled and supplied since SC1?

Admittedly logistics do simplify a lot when you can jump to a random asteroid field, deploy SCVs to strip mine the minerals and vespene present and use those for repair and resupply, but still.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Grand Fromage posted:

I read an okay popcorn mil SF series where the author just had zero idea about nuclear scale in particular. At one point a handful of half kiloton nuclear bombs render the entirety of Mars too radioactive to live on for a century.

That's like, half the Hiroshima bomb?
*checking google*
Estimates are at a touch less than 20 kTons for Little Boy's actual yield. That's loving 1/40th of the Hiroshima bomb, can you even make nukes that small?
(probably yes but not the point)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

aniviron posted:

I know part of the reason I always hated Vikings is because they feel so ridiculous. They're transformers? Really? This is somehow both more effective and/or easier to engineer than putting a Banshee missile pod on a Viking in the sky? It doesn't feel like it belongs to the same setting as most of the rest of the tech. Most of the rest of the SC2 units make sense, but that one bugs me.

Siege tanks.

Having said that, yeah vikings are a lot more blatant about this.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Mass Effect 3 was almost pulling it off, before Marauder Shields and :speculate: made everything go to poo poo.
It was not Alpha Protocol level and you could often see the stitches and the rails, but the Tuchanka sequence was almost :perfect:

(Then as said the ending happened and welp)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Xarn posted:

Would you believe me that I never before noticed the infected on this mission?

"Wait, there are infected on this mission?"
Me, reading the update

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Jim's sightings before that were at the end of the Terran campaign where he fled Mengsk after the latter fed Kerrigan to the Zergs and during the Zerg campaign when Kerrigan got out of the chrysalis, wiped his base then let him go.

That Raynor gets in visceral terms how bad the Zerg are, so he'd be more willing to understand the Protoss "burn them all and let the Khala sort it out" stance on Zerg infestation.
Add that Tassadar is clearly changing his outlook when we find him in the Protoss campaign and I can honestly see an offscreen series of missions where the two come to a genuine understanding.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Lt. Danger posted:

where does Infested Duran come from? Kerrigan was a unique prize for the zerg, and she couldn't have infested him herself because he is a xel'naga agent

Isn't the implication that he was faking it? Kerrigan believed she managed to successfully replicate an infestation similar to hers, meanwhile Samir "Dr Narud" Duran was secretly laughing at all these dumb idiots thinking he was working for them.

I don't remember, does he betray Kerrigan during Brood War? He certainly isn't on the Swarm's org chart anymore but I don't remember when it happened.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Take out the air so vikings are useless in the final mission. :regd08:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Is it on brutal? On hard there's like 3 broodlords total if you disable air units beforehand.