Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I've been meaning to ask: councils are basically of highly variable size, right? Some are basically a neighborhood government, others are what a Yank would describe as a county government?

There's different tiers of council, and they vary depending on the constituent country.

In England, county councils handle things like education, public transport and social services, while district councils below them are smaller and handle other things like planning permission (zoning) and waste collection. In a lot of places these two tiers are merged into a single Unitary Authority that does the work of both the district and county council. Below the district level you have parish councils, which are the size of a few small villages, and have very limited authority (basically they do allotments, possibly maintain a small community centre and organise village fairs, and then whatever minor functions the councils above choose to grant them). But in larger cities all three of these get merged into a single metropolitan district council which does all functions of local government below the national level. In London it's different again, you have the borough councils and the Greater London Authority, so a similar two-tier setup to the county and district councils, but with a different division of authority between them.

In Wales, you have the Senedd which passes wales-specific legislation (Like a state government in the US), and then below that the principal council areas which work like the Unitary Authorities previously mentioned, covering most roles of local government, and at the bottom instead of parishes you have communities, which have either community councils or just community meetings in the smallest ones. Unlike in England larger Welsh cities still technically have communities, but like the English cities, those communities don't actually have councils and their functions are taken over by the city.

In Scotland, you have the Scottish Parliament doing the state-level legislating, then below it are the Councils, and that's it. No local government below the "county" level.

In Northern Ireland, the Assembly theoretically handles most legislative stuff but it's frequently deadlocked and unable to function. Most of the functions of county councils additionally sit up at this level, and local government consists just of the district councils (with again, some of the normal functions of a district council being assigned to the executive level). Lots of stuff in NI is handled by non-governmental bodies whose members are appointed professionals or civil servants, which depending on who you ask could be so that they're apolitical, or so that they function even when the government is hopelessly deadlocked, or so that if people vote wrong they can't change anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jedit posted:

There are community councils in Scotland, but they aren't legislative bodies. There are also the seven regional transport partnerships that are government bodies but not part of the local authorities.

Fair, I didn't count our community councils because as far as I'm aware they don't actually do anything--at least, the one for my area (so far as I can tell) is a purely consultative body with literally zero power to do anything, more or less just a forum for people to talk to representatives from the actual council once a month.

Maybe that's not the case in other community councils though and I shouldn't have presumed!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Guavanaut posted:

Mandela Effected myself because I was convinced that Big Fash wore a black button down shirt for Big Fash Delusion Song rather than that shoulder buttoned thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX4O3dNTFYw

But even watching that as a literal child I managed to get that the message being conveyed was not one in favour of fascism, and the only people who missed that were loving idiots like the Hammerskins who formed a racist group based on the imagery, and equal loving idiots calling Waters a fascist over it.

Your memory might be influenced by a later song in Fash-Pink's set, Waiting for the Worms, which has the lines "(Waiting) to put on a black shirt / (Waiting) to weed out the weekings, to smash in their windows and kick in their doors"

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Camrath posted:

Massive summer fudge release! (And a somewhat embarrassing plea)

Howdy fudge fans!

Summer's here, and with it a massively expanded range of sweet, sticky deliciousness from the Fudjit labs! We've got 22 different flavours on the market for your delectation and delight, so don't delay and go grab some summer sugar soon as you can.

On a more serious note, due to greatly increased costs and decreased market takes across the board (People just don't have as much spending money as they used to) I'm in a bit of a bind. Right now after managing pretty well for three years I'm no longer making enough from Fudjit to cover my monthly bills and enjoy such things as 'food' and 'not panicking about where the next penny is coming from'. I can keep going for maybe a few more months if things don't change, but as a small businessman times are hard as all hell. I'm not asking for charity, but I would absolutely love to sell you lovely people as much fudge as I possibly can, if only to ensure said fudge will still be present in the future. As a disabled autistic dude who's only ever been chewed up and spat out by the system when trying to work normal jobs, being able to be my own boss has basically been a lifesaver and the idea of having to pack it all in and go back to working for someone else absolutely terrifies me on a visceral level. Each time I have it's ended up with me ultimately too sick to do anything for periods of years and I really don't want to go down that road again.

There's multiple options I'm exploring to diversify my business a bit; to explore new avenues and methods of trade while remaining true to Fudjit's original core values. But all of these take time to pan out, and as it stands I'm not going to be able to pay my monthly bills at the end of next week after a particularly disastrous event this weekend. The one thing I do have going for me right now is an absolute gently caress-ton of amazing fudge in stock in a huge variety of flavours; some old and some brand new. So please, if you are able to afford to (I know everyone here will be feeling the pinch just as I am), grab yourself a few bars and help a fudge-baron out.

That was not easy on the ego to write, so on a more happy note here's our flavour list at the moment.

Current Flavours

* Original Vanilla
* Unicorn Barf
* Chilli and Lime
* Cookies and Cream
* Irish Cream
* Whisky and Candied Ginger
* Cafe Americano
* Strawberry Milkshake
- Revised recipe! Now even more delicious- tastes like a Nobbly Bobbly ice-lolly
* Rum and Raisin
* Peanut Butter
- Returning from my very first cook back in 2019, shot full of lovely crunchy peanut butter.
* Chocolate Honeycomb
* Chocolate Crisp
* Chai Latte
* Oranges and Lemons
* Caramilk
* Pretzelicious
* Cheesecake
* Maple-pecan
* Chocolate Chip Cookie
* Lemon Meringue Pie
* Vegan Chocolate
* Veganana
- Vegan banana fudge with organic banana chips

All stock is now live and available at https://www.fudjit.co.uk for £4 + P&P per 100g bar. And as always you can use the goon code 'Roastbeefisbest' to get 5-for-4 at checkout. Orders are shipped with Royal Mail 1st class, tracked.

And thanks guys. Even if it turns out I can't keep Fudjit going then at least it's been a hell of a ride over the past three and a half years, and I'd never have even got started if it wasn't for this coterie of internet communists.

All the best, and get fudged!

Quoting the whole thing since it's at the bottom of the last page.

Placed an order, fingers crossed for you to make it through this.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Just wanted to say, thanks for the fudge camrath! The pretzel stuff is fun, you bite into it then suddenly hit a piece of pretzel rebar it's like fudge on the bone, loved it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tesseraction posted:

What is going on in this photo?

a) they picked the young attractive white woman

b) he's meant to be looking like he's really interested in her perspective or whatever but she's clearly laughing which implies it's lighthearted and so his expression seems more like he's super concerned

c) most important what the gently caress is he eating peas with a fork in his right hand? is this a mirrored image?

d) why does she have two drinks?

e) why is this piss fucker the leader of the Labour Party when he's clearly David Cameron wearing a skinsuit made entirey of questionable scrotums?

At least for c, it doesn’t look like it’s mirrored, as the seam on the woman’s combat smock would be on the wrong side if you flipped the image. Maybe Starmer prefers American table manners?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I have very rarely read the Canary (I always found its reporting a bit hysterical) but I was a bit surprised at the latest article re Corbyn that appeared on my twitter feed. Then I saw this post by Kerry Anne Mendoza just now. Had no idea she hadn't been involved with the Canary for the last couple of years.

Ed deleted the Twitter link as I am not getting involved in that stuff.

I might be misremembering, but wasn't there some serious allegations of misconduct by the directors of the company (I think it was something about them claiming there was only a £1 difference in hourly wage between directors and journalists, but then paying themselves huge dividends in secret) that led to the Canary being reorganised as a Worker's Co-op?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Sanford posted:

Owlfancier, the Director of Income Generation for one of those charities you mentioned says thanks, that’s really helpful feedback. I knew the “so I don’t bother going in” aspect would get their attention. They asked if you go in looking for anything in particular - I mentioned the coats but they really meant is it business or casual wear you’re generally after?

If anyone else wants to tell me anything about charity shops so I appear to have prepped in some way for the charity retail conference that starts tomorrow, that’d be really helpful.

I remember one charity shop I was in years and years ago had an arrangement with a local knitting club/circle where in winter they'd sell hats and scarves knitted by the club which seemed quite successful. Kind of depends on having a lot of hobbyist knitters about, of course.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Mega Comrade posted:

Only thing I know about Narnia is it has some kind of magical wardrobe in it and the Lion is Jesus.

The only thing I actually remember from the book is that the kids grow up in Narnia but then return to Earth and become kids again, which means they'll go through puberty twice.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
When I was working in South Africa for a while, there was a guy in the office whose name had a click in it, and I was apparently the only white person who'd made an effort to learn to pronounce his name right. New staff would do literal double takes the first time they heard it. It was surreal, like I was living in one of those tall tales where everyone claps at the end, except it was for the most basic-rear end human decency thing that shouldn't ever have been worthy of comment.

I still feel weird talking about it because I worry I'm using a minority person to make myself into some white saviour paragon of non-racism, but the point is more that, if you have a traditional african name in South Africa that has any sort of sound not common in English or Afrikaans, don't expect most white people to even bother addressing you by your actual name.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

'green crayon email'

I've never heard this term before, is it a reference to something?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
There had actually been a cholera outbreak in Italy in 1973, so it doesn't seem entirely unreasonable that tourists would be concerned about the risk of travelling there in the following year.

https://www.nytimes.com/1973/09/05/archives/cholera-in-italy-kills-18th-victim-the-disease-strikes-for-the.html

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Poor-pour is part of the Cure-North merger, which is a class of mergers which has a lot of conditions. I think that map is mostly accurate for areas of the UK with the C-N merger, but some of the pairs are only homophones if you also have a non-rhotic accent, and others only if you have the horse-hoarse merger too. Theoretically, if you’ve got horse-horse and a non-rhotic accent, you should have the full pour-poor-paw triple. But there’s always exceptions, down to even individual idiolects.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Failed Imagineer posted:

Happy Massive Racist Bonfire Day to all who celebrate. Must say I'm a little curious about the record-breaking 200ft bonfire going up in Larne tonight, which of course is :airquote: non-sectarian :airquote: .

Since much wee-er bonfires have warped windows and destroyed gardens hundreds of metres away in the past, it'll be interesting to see what kind of ancillary damage is done here, and how many Unionist children are hospitalized for smoke inhalation.

:britane:

I think you might be a day late on this?
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...2122894830.html

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Just Another Lurker posted:

One of them was listed for a pro Brexit/Idiot conference a few months ago, i just put their channel on Do No Recommend after that. :shrug:

A pity as i like maps, had several Ordinance Survey maps for NI that i loved perusing as a kid.

I wouldn't disagree that the Kite festival could be described as the Idiot conference, but it's definitely more in the vein of the "can't we all just get along" centrist kind of idiot rather than the GB News loving Brexit junkie kind of idiot. Jay was booked to do his standard musical comedy for kids set at the festival, in the children's play area. Obviously associating with that could still be beyond the pale for some, but I thought it worth mentioning since I think there's a difference between playing your non-political set a multi-day festival that has a weird centrist throughline vs performing at some turbo-chud event where you're warming up the crowd for Laurence Fox.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Sanford posted:

Oh drat really? Someone had compiled a load of stats on dangerous dogs and showed that over 50% of dog attacks in the UK are by “bully breeds.” It was an incredibly UKMT post, god knows where I saw it if not here.

There was a post on r/unitedkingdom like that.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Amazon thought I might be interested in a Geiger counter yesterday

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I hope it doesn't turn out to be like that story about the pregnancy coupons where two weeks from now I'm going to sheepishly realise that I was actually irradiated all along.

(yes I know that story has been called into question in recent years)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

I'd really want to see a source on that claim because it sounds like bullshit to me. I have to get annual training on what my regulator considers improper gifts, and basic food is considered well within the norms of an appropriate gift. If I buy chocolates or pizzas for a contractor's staff nobody's going to raise an eyebrow. Could be the rules are different for politics but I'm skeptical given all the bullshit politicians get up to with their lobbyist mates.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jedit posted:

There's a specific ruling on the law that it doesn't apply to ordinary hospitality. Treating only applies when you are offering someone incentives in exchange for their vote. You know, like in political lobbying.

Yeah, which seems quite consistent with the plain language of the statute:

quote:

114Treating.

(1)A person shall be guilty of a corrupt practice if he is guilty of treating.

(2)A person shall be guilty of treating if he corruptly, by himself or by any other person, either before, during or after an election, directly or indirectly gives or provides, or pays wholly or in part the expense of giving or providing, any meat, drink, entertainment or provision to or for any person—
(a)for the purpose of corruptly influencing that person or any other person to vote or refrain from voting; or
(b)on account of that person or any other person having voted or refrained from voting, or being about to vote or refrain from voting.

(3)Every elector or his proxy who corruptly accepts or takes any such meat, drink, entertainment or provision shall also be guilty of treating.

Buying pizzas for your dedicated canvassers as thanks for their work isn't the same as that, you're not offering the food to influence them to vote for you. You can really twist your neck and imagine a chain of causality where someone agrees to become a canvasser as a result of the possible provision of future food, but even so the crime plainly requires a guilty mind on the part of the food's provider--the Crown would need to show the food's provider had a corrupt intent to influence the voting of the people being fed, when there's a much simpler explanation behind the act (gratitude for the work done canvassing). Especially so when a lot of the canvassers will be from outside the constituency and thus likely don't have a vote at all.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Guavanaut posted:

Tories

We're a family.

Labour

We're a family.

I think that might be the best summation of british politics ever written Guavanaut.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Maximum Pepsi posted:

I know how I learn, I guess I can only speak from my own experience. but someone yelling/scolding me makes me want to do the opposite of whatever.

can't work how to quote u seb sorry, but yeah I agree.

I honestly belive a labour govrnment will be slightly less poo poo that a tory one. but it is marginal. so.

like sorry going back to it but, the best teachers I had at school didn't (neccesarly) scold me. They showed me by example. That is how I learned.

Here's the thing, though. You mentioned that a post in this thread had helped you recognise your "prejudice for (maybe) the first time". I'd ask that you stop and think about what that means. It means that in this thread, the attitudes you were expressing were prejudiced. They had to be, right? For that post to respond to what you were saying and get you to realise that?

The key insight that should follow from that is this: Saying prejudiced things is offensive. It upsets them, it makes them angry, and they're not wrong to feel that way.

And we have a socially acceptable mechanism for dealing with that. When you're in a conversation with a group of people, and you say something that the group finds highly offensive, you're societally expected to apologise for the offensive thing you said, and most people would consider the polite thing to do to be to exit from the situation after the apology until things cool down a bit. That doesn't mean you wouldn't be welcome back in future--though on your return you might occasionally have to reiterate that you really are still sorry for the offensive attitude you expressed (and ideally, that you've re-examined your prejudice and hopefully shed it).

But what you probably shouldn't do, if you've expressed a view that you yourself have now realised is prejudiced and offended a large number of people in the process, is stick around, continue to argue with people who are offended, and make out that they're the problem for getting upset about the prejudiced views you expressed. That's not going to help you assimilate to the posting climate in here, if you catch my drift.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Maximum Pepsi posted:

Maybe there are GRT ppl qwho post on this dead-gay forum. If they do post here I am genuninnly sorry. Not just sorry for the offence caused, but sorry for offending them.

I'm sorry for being that oval office/prick.

But I mean who are you being offended on behalf of?

I try when I post y'know.

I mean gently caress it by blood im a 1/4 irish myself so maybe I should be offened.

I guess this is part of posting online. like maybe a grt person could have read my post and been offended. for that I am genuinly sorry. like I feel like I am apologising to you and idk why?

Being Irish isn't the same thing as being Irish Traveller. If it's a requirement to salve your conscience, three of my four sets of great grandparents were Irish Traveller so I guess I'm 75% GRT.

But it's not about that--when someone expresses prejudiced views, people who reject those views aren't offended on behalf of someone else, they're offended because someone has expressed something offensive. Whether there's someone GRT here doesn't actually matter! Prejudiced views are offensive to people in this thread, regardless of their background.

Of course if you didn't actually care about being offensive, that'd be another matter altogether. But it wouldn't leave you much of a leg to stand on for complaining about people being mean to you.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and to become one with all the people. — Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

smellmycheese posted:

Why is every character an upper class English person lmao. Demons talking like Prince Charles ffs. And Dwarfs should be Scottish

So far the only dwarf I've met had a northen irish accent, which I thought to be some inspired casting and from now on dwarves in my D&D games will no longer give quests, but will instead make legitimate and peaceful requests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

DreddyMatt posted:

Why's an East Asian man going to a Bernard Manning show? Like, what's the thought process there?

maybe he was a massive Joy Division fan and thought he was going to see Bernard Sumner