Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

^^^ IMHO 4G is far more reliable and available than 5G.

I would think it has to be pretty reliable/available by now given e.g. Vodafone are slowly phasing out 3G entirely from this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

He has domestic support because he spends fuckloads of EU money on popular poo poo. They should close the spigot but they can't because they're too supine and also beholden to Poland's fascist pricks.

The EU was specifically set up in such a way that it can't do anything about one member as long as one other member agrees with them, iirc. Which seems a bit short-sighted but that's EUgovernance.txt.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Did the actually make the blood ravens a big important chapter?

They were one of the big ones back in like the 90s, I had some myself. Think that was before Ultramarines became the 'default' boring chapter you saw everywhere.

Edit: derp. Oh yeah.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 7, 2023

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Seems to be fewer of them itt these days, Tesseraction is the only one I remember offhand.

Tess is the only Lexiter I can remember in this thread at all. It's not like it was heaving with them in 2016 or anything.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

My 'erm' was meant to indicate that's quite the deficit!

However, I've now calculated that it comes to a mere £11,550 per inhabitant, so if they simply levy a one-off charge on every man, woman and child in Woking, they can easily cover it that way.

So a poll tax?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

i think there are only three (?) potential offices you can resign into, so theoretically an mp that fights and wins three by-elections literally can’t ever resign until the next parliament

Why? Nothing stopping you being appointed to the same office several times in a row.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

There's a Popeye's and a Jollibee in Leicester now, but no Wendy's for miles around.

We HAD a Wendy's in Ilford but it closed down after a year. Mind you, for delivery at least it was Reassuringly Expensive for what is basically McD's.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

kingturnip posted:

It is funny that Truss's name is getting dragged out again. She might be the only Tory MP who still wants to be Prime Minister at the moment (I'm including Sunak in that), because everyone else has enough functioning brain cells to spot that the challice is made of mercury and filled with liquid arsenic.

She already hosed it once, it's not like she'll be any worse off if she does it again.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

It's not necessarily bad to make it so you don't need a degree to do a non-brickie-level job, that's why we have loads of people in student debt for degrees that are worth nothing except as a first-job voucher, but I'm not sure I'd start fixing that with doctors :yikes:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I used to work in a charity shop but the "secret back space" was basically a cupboard big enough for two people to stand in very cosily, so we didn't have any secret hoards.

When you put it like that I wonder how many secret knee tremblers went on, though.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I will, I think, always remember the guest lecture I had at uni by Richard Bartle who was very involved in the development of early text based video games and multi user dungeons, which are basically text based MMOs.

He said that this is a very common rationale given for why men play women but that the proportions of people playing cross-gender have not really changed since before there was anything to look at, arse or no :v:

Being old enough to both play and run MUDs, this is absolutely true.
(Totally didn't do that myself for reasons oh no *whistles*)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I keep getting missed calls during work from a London number that the google says is Labour membership relations. I think they've finally noticed I stopped paying.

Probably just fundraising tbh, I've had a couple too despite not having paid a sub for a year or more now.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TACD posted:

I was really excited the first time I found Turkish Delight for sale because the book made it out to be so delicious, and at my young age I assumed it was either something old-timey no longer available or just entirely invented. Well, it turns out it's real but it's dogshit, thanks for the disappointment C. S. Lewis :mad:

I hear this constantly from Americans :shobon: Come on now, it's good stuff, especially the chocolate coated kind. Going to have to go out and rage buy some Fry's now.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

A youth-focussed linear TV channel probably wouldn't work now anyway. Youth (and I mean sub-boomers here) don't want to tune in at a specific time to watch something when they can just do it on-demand on either Netflix etc or iplayer. The only exception I can think of is when you want basically auditory wallpaper like a Come Dine With Me marathon or something. Oh, and sports.

(Actual youth are more about the Tiktoks, if I remember the research correctly)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

You would need a very big guillotine to fit all the landlords in it at the same time.

Although I suppose it would still need to be that big to fit the bottom 10% of all landlords in it. If you're doing that you might be better off with a giant mandolin.

Just crowdsource it. Individual collapsible guillotines issued to every comrade.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

happyhippy posted:

The BBC Red Button is being phased out.
It won't work on newer TVs from now on.
Was just announced recently.

That's news to me and I work in the industry. Announced where?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Private Speech posted:

Also there isn't that much difference between it and linear TV, in practice it's all streaming video with similar codecs.

There absolutely is because it's not about the codecs. On-demand television is unicast (your device makes a TCP/IP connection to a server and downloads the way anything else does on the regular internet). Linear is either multicast UDP over your ISP's private network or (still, for now) Digital Terrestrial Television coming over an aerial which doesn't require the internet at all. The fact that it's encapsulated in similar (not identical, linear uses Transport Streams that can encode multiple channels in one stream and re-broadcasts metadata regularly because DTT especially by its nature is not a reliable transport mechanism) ways isn't the big difference. The important bit here isn't so much how the video is encoded as in linear is obviously a one-way process - you don't get to choose what to watch on a given channel, but also how you implement the two varies quite a lot.

That's without getting into stuff like DASH which is how unicast can vary the quality of your stream depending on your internet connection so lowering your resolution if it has problems etc. Can't do that with linear, obviously.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

That's literally the opposite of what you said which was 'newer tvs won't support it'. No poo poo more things will require Internet connectivity in future. DTT itself won't last past the Boomers at most.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

Brit posters have a weird idea that they could get sued or in legal trouble for posting names on something awful, technically it could happen but it doesn't seem likely
it's a sign of how cowed we are as a people

People absolutely do get that for doing the same on Twitter. We also had someone get a visit from the plod because they made some kind of post here about interfering with the Olympic torch relay in 2012, iirc, and in the US someone got the Secret Service round when they said something about the president. It might not be likely but it can happen.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bug Squash posted:

British libel laws are problematic, that's for sure, but I think I enjoy the weird little song and dance you have to do. It's like a high stakes magic trick, where if you gently caress up you're bankrupted and do a couple of years in prison.

They're not even that problematic any more, that got reformed like 20 years ago though that hasn't really seeped down into the (American) public consciousness. Try posting something like that in the US and you'd better drat well hope you're right or you're getting sued too.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Angrymog posted:

How come train drivers can do overtime? I thought they'd have driving time regulations for safety.

I'm sure they do but they probably don't normally have drivers running right up against those rules without overtime.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

haakman posted:

Who the gently caress wants to drive in London. loving awful place. The only thing of value was Twisto (always missed).

In general I don't mind people dissing London-the-city, there's plenty to complain about. However, there are a bunch of us in this thread who live in London. When you say the only thing of value was literally the individual and forums poster Twisto you are, actually, telling the rest of us, personally, we're poo poo.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jedit posted:

Gentle reminder that you're conflating England and the UK.

Err if we're going to be pedantic about bits of the UK being missed out - Wales is on that map and also looks pretty blue.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Microplastics posted:

AI to reboot democracy lol.

here is the only part of that article that matters (the rest is guff)

i wish the article cut the guff and just expanded on this paragraph. like, what did you actually DO. what uber regulation was designed by this tool, and how is it different from what would have happened otherwise. give me examples of "options to suggest policy ideas". give me examples of views that are "mapped according to consensus". what does "engage" mean, what did you DOOOOO

By 'one such tool' she means 'I heard about the only tool in existence trying to do this, read their PR brochure and figured I could spin a quick column out of it'.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Crystal Thenis posted:

they pay taxes!

Are you literally a member of the Taxpayers' Alliance or something

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DiscoWitch posted:

Hey I've not read this thread in a while what's going o:yikes:

You will note that the three or so people Doing A Hitler here are not exactly long time thread regular posters.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

Why are there suddenly multiple people visiting the thread to fiercely argue that the travelling way of life should be suppressed and travellers forcibly integrated into mainstream society?

Like, it's an incredibly odd topic to just pop up out of nowhere.

Tesseraction posted:

Look, up there in the sky! It's the Fash Symbol!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

smellmycheese posted:

So, anyway, what’s the threads thoughts on London?

Or apropos your username - what kind of cheese is the best? Can't beat a really mature cheddar with some pickled onions in my opinion (nice and crumbly none of that yank muck) but once in a while I have to treat myself to some Roquefort with Branstons.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Reveilled posted:

That's not going to help you assimilate to the posting climate in here, if you catch my drift.

I don't think that's going to be a problem actually.

Edit:

quote:

No-one likes to be scolded
*cough*

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

The only obvious solution is to have an invested IK for the thread (i.e. Guav). Or y'know, just learn to embrace the trolling as a reminder of how many loving idiots are out there. A privileged position to take I know, and it's not like we need the reminder

If I were a Traveller posting in this thread I don't think I'd be happy to see that stuff being spouted with nobody responding. And I'll note one of them was edging towards anti-trans stuff too.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I thought these dudes got perma'd already

One dude. For being a re-reg.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

That reasonable hitler meme

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DreddyMatt posted:

gently caress no, this is boring

Shut up and gently caress off then.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DreddyMatt posted:

Having groups of people roll up into town and set up camp on school field for a while doesn't really work anymore.

Mate that happens all the time, we call them 'circuses'.

Edit: I assume you want to abolish them too, btw, as not being compatible with modern British life? I mean they travel from place to place without having a fixed place of abode too, just like Travellers. Or for ~some reason~ is that different?

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 5, 2023

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I mean maybe I'm biased cos I've been listening to lots of late 1800's/early 1900's ghost/detective fiction but it mostly seems like it's full of poshos writing about how positively ghastly the lower orders are and how they're definitely going to steal your jewels by jove.]

I recently re-read all of Sherlock Holmes and there are definitely some yikes bits about the 'lower orders' in there occasionally. I think I remember offhand racism about Irish and Jewish people too.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

josh04 posted:

Sherlock Holmes is all about dark secrets from the colonies, a subject that comes up in near every story.

I don't know about 'near every' but a few especially if you're including America.

Mind you one surprisingly progressive one for the time has a mother keeping her interracial kid secret from her new husband because she's sure he won't accept them, but turns out actually he's cool with it and raises them as his own.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

that the one boris didn't manage to level up (to lords)?

And she's been throwing a snit about it ever since yes, like, she thinks she is owed a lordship, like she has a right to it.

God knows what she did to be promised one by Bozza. Must have been grueling the way she's carrying on.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

Parents being allowed to do this is why things are poo poo for society and the school system as a whole. They aren't allowed to do this in Finland btw.

It's not nearly as common over here as in the US, either. The council can send people round to check you're actually doing it right.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

Get your prescription in hand when you leave regardless of what place you go to. If you have your prescription you can use online sites to get the actual glasses for 30% of the price

To be fair I did this the last time I got glasses a few years back and the presumably boat-from-China specials chipped within about 5 minutes of my getting them. This time I went to Specsavers and didn't feel unduly ripped off, plus they diagnosed me with blepharitis and recommended some drops which was helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Is that a crossword clue for 'junk'?

In this particular case, yes.
(Hmm there must be some extra complicated crossword clue way of making this refer to the Chinese sailing vessels)