Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

In the UK, drugs are approved by the regulator (MHRA, though we used to take approvals from the EMA before brexit), for a certain indication (ie weight loss in obesity). Pharma companies will apply for certain indications and regulators will decide if the evidence supports the application. For example, pharma company x may want get their drug approved in people with BMI above 27, but regulator says they only see benefit to people with BMI above 30, so that’s what the drug is approved for.

However, just because something is approved it doesn’t mean it’s available - health systems need to calculate whether it’s a good use of money/resources. This is where NICE comes in - pharma companies provide various cost effectiveness data and such, and NICE uses this and other data to work out if it’s worth funding the drug for patients. They use a measure called a QALY (quality adjusted life year) to help do this - a drug that costs a lot to provide one QALY to a patient is unlikely to get funded.

This is why you may remember various outrage stories about NICE not funding various drugs over the years. This happened a lot with cancer drugs, which provided marginal benefit over standard of care, but (no doubt influenced by pharma PR agencies) led to fuming daily mail articles. A lot of drugs for relapsed cancers may provide enough of a survival increase (eg 4 months) to get approved by the regulator but not enough of a benefit to actually be worth funding by NICE. This was why Cameron created the Cancer Drugs Fund, to provide money for drugs that NICE deemed not cost effective. Though that CDF pot got used up pretty quickly.

Private health however can pay for anything that is approved by the regulator (exceptions for covid vaccine - not available privately), even if not funded by NICE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Pray for me, goons - my wife and I came down particularly quickly with what we assume is norovirus, barely made it through putting the kids to bed and now at 2am the 3 year old was sick twice. I hope the 1 year old is ok :(

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Load bearing toilet window.

:master:

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

Core inflation UP to 7.1% last month :gonk:

Time to raise interest rates again! It hasn’t worked before, maybe it’ll work this time!

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I see the occasional tweet asking why Labour won’t suggest anything progressive, when their poll lead gives them a lot of buffer to do so. Hint: they’re right wing and they just don’t want to do anything progressive. They just want to get into power, keep things as they are, and enrich themselves and their buddies.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

His whiny nasal voice droning on about fiscal rules in the election debates is going to take 5 points off the polls

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

smellmycheese posted:

Endlessly reminding everyone of his toolmaking father will knock off another 5

Definitely made a tool

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

smellmycheese posted:

Big lol if Keith doesn’t win any of these by elections.

If they win, it’ll be proof their rightward shift is working. If they don’t win, it’ll mean they need to shift further right.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Is that cannibalism? They're both birds but, we eat mammals, or is it more like us eating primates? Is eating an ape cannibalism? I don't know I'm genuinely asking.

Columbimorphae (which includes pigeons) and charadriiformes (which includes herring gulls) had a common ancestor about 65 million years ago, whereas the pig and human last common ancestor was about 80 million years ago. So a gull eating a pigeon is fairly analogous to humans eating pigs, in terms of relatedness.

E: beaten!

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

Anyone in the thread have recent experience with cavity wall insulation? Any ongoing grants still running for discounts on the stuff?

I’m having mine done in a couple of weeks - weirdly only half the house has it, some cavities are empty. I don’t qualify for support (band E :saddowns:) though.

I got a few quotes - some were right cowboys who didn’t check all the cavities and then just gave me a suspiciously round number for the quote. Another guy measured up, checked each cavity, and then gave a price per square metre of wall - went with him. Another said he’d “check online” what I had. Make sure you get someone who does a proper survey!

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Has anyone had any experience with credit card chargebacks? Booked a dishwasher repair with a national network, they contacted and sent a local small businessman round who said we needed a part - paid him for the install and the part (he needed to order it), after weeks of chasing he eventually came back, but after leaving I tested the dishwasher again and it was still broken. Since then have got the odd message from him (despite calling, emailing, contacting the network) about coming back but no booking confirmed. Luckily I paid via credit card - he had one of those mini chip and pin machines. Just wondering how successful charge backs often are. I suppose technically I’ve paid for a new part, but I’ve never received a receipt for it, so I’m just out £120 (the payment receipt didn’t specify that £50 was for a part) with a broken dishwasher.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Charge backs are usually fine.

Also good practice not to pay someone unless they actually fix the thing they're supposed to, otherwise they're just a Wallet Inspector with a van

Yeah I don’t usually, but this was through a big national network, and only £50 for the part (the £70 call-out was to be paid anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

smellmycheese posted:

Printer chat is always fun but it is a solved issue. Buy the cheapest Brother laser b&w printer you can get hold of. Hook it up and relax

100%. Though I was having endless frustrations with mine not connecting to wifi, but then I remembered that Wires Exist, and since then no issues.