Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Rolled a Necro and hit level 41 and got my horse. Not entirely sure I like my bone spear Necro build though. It's pretty corpse dependent.

I can throw like 3 spears before I'm frantically trying to corpse explode to get mana back, which makes bosses without adds feel like a chore.

I assume at some point I can gear him out of essence problems, but I half want to just start over now that I unlocked the horsey account wide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Impermanent posted:

There's an ability that makes bone attack crits make your essence rregen faster in the north part of the starting area

That would definitely help. I have tons of stuff to do more damage per hit, but have not grabbed this

I'm also in kind of a lovely spot essence wise where they have started to require some legendary crafting material you get from salvaging legendaries to craft new items, but I haven't got any of those from the legendaries I've tried to trash so I assume there is a level requirement or something

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I got up to WT3 / level 51 with my Bone Spear necro, and he's pretty OK, but I jumped over to play a penetrating shot rogue up to 20ish and I think he just feels better to me for being basically the same line enemies up and snipe gameplay. The constant move speed buff on shroud of shadows is great.

Of course, on the rogue I skipped the campaign and have had 2 aspects equipped since like level 8, so that helps quite a bit.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

There were supposed to be 2 expansions to d3 and they shitcanned the second one and just put out the necro class by itself.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I'm just getting around to jumping through the hoops to put this on the steam deck.

What's a good build to play with a controller? right now on PC I'm running ranged builds that require a lot of aiming which seems less than ideal.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

DarkDobe posted:

Am I dumb and you can aspect any item - or did you just start getting rares that early? I rolled a fresh barb to play with a friend, and having aspects would be nice.

I just started the tree stuff from level 1 and the caches give yellows regardless of your level.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I just assume every good person you meet will inevitably become CORRUPTED!!!!! That's the lore of all blizzard games.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I got my first unique item. Gloves that make the corpses run towards enemies before exploding and do additional corpse explosion damage.

They are pretty fun but don't change a ton in my build. I still don't really think corpse explosion is viable as a primary damage dealer.

I do have a build guide question for you all. Virtually none of the maxroll build guides put any extra points into the basic skills and keep them at 1/5 with 1 or 2 enhancements. In my experience every class ends up having to cast the basics quite a bit (except maybe Necro relying on corpse explosions but bosses still end up needing some basic spam so far in t3). Is the damage per extra point just mathematically awful on them?

It's kind of odd to me that the min max way to play is to put 1 point into each skill except for your one big DPS skill and then take virtually every passive.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Dameius posted:

D3 hyper streamlined that loop and people still hate it.

If there is a thing I don't love about D4 it's that I'm like 25 hours in at level 53 and can't just melt whole rooms of dudes at once with any regularity. In D3 I'd be rocking in GR 100+ by this point, but I remember back in the beginning where it was very slow also.

Every ARPG game they want to make the combat have mechanics and be hard and then slowly realize people just want to fill the screen with explosions and collect better and better loot faster and faster.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

H110Hawk posted:

Whew 89 pages in a week.

I liked D2x and POE back when I had time to play video games. Now I can't really sit at a computer for the extended periods of time necessary to have fun in these games (or to even finish a league really in POE.) The kids these days seem to be talking about a Steamdeck as a way to do this stuff without sitting. Does D4 run well on one? How are the controls? Coming from keyboard and mouse gaming I'm having trouble imagining an interface that's conducive to a handheld controller.

I would be buying a steamdeck just for D4 more or less. I don't have a desktop computer running windows these days.

It runs great after a bit of weirdness to get it set up. The controls are just like console controls. I don't love it for my bone spear Necro because I want too much aim control for both spear lineup and which corpse I'm exploding, but I'm playing a flurry rogue on the steam deck and it's great for that.

I am only getting about 2 hours of battery life out of it before I have to plug it in, which is not great but kind of on par with performance in other AAA games

Substandard fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 8, 2023

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

H110Hawk posted:

I have about 2 hours of playtime in a given night so that works out.

As for "just like console controls" - I've never played a hack-n-slash (arpg?) on a console. I've played like, mario, mario kart, kirby return to dreamland, yoshi's crafted world.

Thanks.

You have direct control over the character with the left stick, which is probably better than click to move for getting out of poison and poo poo without accidentally clicking on an enemy, but I find it harder to aim attacks that require a bunch of precision, so I tend to like more aoe or melee stuff with the controller, and then it's just a button for each of the 6 skills and you can remap those to your liking.

It's pretty good though and if your aren't a huge mouse and keyboard snob any class or build works well enough

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I started on WT2 and became fairly certain that it took more than 20% longer to clear stuff because of the big health increases on bosses and elites.

I ended up playing WT1 until like 48 then turning it to WT2 to run the capstone dungeon, then immediately turning it up to WT3 so I could get unique drops.

WT2 seems pointless and provides very little benefit unless you like it

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I'm home from work now and I want to stab things but the servers are broken.

I just keep rejoining the ever longer queue in hopes that this time, maybe, it will log me in.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Zelmel posted:

My unfortunately passed less than a year ago boy Archie (Archimedes), for our pet posts while the servers are hosed. Bowel cancer is bullshit, plz nerf.

Also, anyone have wild speculation for additional D4 classes after the inevitable Paladin/Crusader type?

I'm betting a return of Monk. Although a lot of the run around real fast skills seem like they have gone to the rogue in d4.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Hopefully they get special servers or "play the game" day seems like it might be a bust for them.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So what classes are people finding the most fun to play? I’ve almost always run Barbarian followed by wizard/sorcerer so I’m trying Necromancer to break out of my usuals. I’m only level 18 but I’m just not feeling the click like I would with blowing poo poo up with magic or the meaty thump of sending bones hurtling into the sun with Barbarian

I played a bone spear necro up into the 50s , and he is pretty good, but I'm probably having more fun playing a flurry rogue who I've got up into the 30s already. Mostly because they can run very fast and flurry with the 360 degree essence is pretty fun.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Astryl posted:

I really want to make a druid but my brain worms hate that the character design it's "pretty".

Also, does the unique/aspect for werewolf make it so you don't need to transform anymore?

Important note for druid is that your fur color is tied to your hair color. So If you don't want a green bear don't pick the green hair because you can't change your hair later.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Astryl posted:

You can actually via the wardrobe.

How? As far as I can tell you can only change your tattoos but not your hairstyle or color.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

McCoy Pauley posted:

Respec'ing isn't prohibitively expensive, even as I'm levelling up and just playing with different rogue builds in the mid-30s as different legendaries drop, but it is getting to the point where fully respec'ing all skills is a noticeable chunk of change and it often seems easier just to wipe the slate clean than to dink around with refunding one point to add it somewhere else, then run into the problem that pulling a point at one tier would upset a later tier so you can't just do it as directly as you want and instead so some Tower of Hanoi like reshuffling of points. It would be better if you could just pull points and put them back in and the game didn't check that tier unlocks made sense until you were done reshuffling.

The money feeling like a hit is probably a sign I should be selling stuff instead of salvaging it all, I guess. Time to sell some loot.

At some point they had some exec give an interview where he said they wanted respeccing to be prohibitively expensive over time, so you would just roll a new character instead of respeccing. It seems to just cost a set amount based on your level and I haven't noticed it increasing the more I use it, so hopefully this was a terrible idea that is in the dustbin of history.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It costs like 50k to fully respec your skill points which is what you get from vendoring 2 yellow items at lvl 68

I have like 15 million gold without really trying to farm it

It is, as they say, "not a big deal"

Yeah, they should just make it free and let you hotswap specs with your outfits like in D3. Having it cost money currently serves no purpose.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
We need a manically laughing ghost man with a magic cube.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Edgemaster's Aspect was used by the vast majority of builds, definitely bone spear necros and arc lash sorcerers and flurry rogues, etc. It seems crazy that there is something so broken about it they need to turn it off.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Kripp makes a decent point that it takes so long to level that most players will only be at level 60-70 when S1 hits in July and then immediately have to start over and do everything again without ever really getting to the end game.

It's a good video and I think a lot of the issues he puts out are true, but it's still fun and presumably they will fix some of the stuff.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i have been running dungeons because i enjoy dungeons. anything else gained is a bonus.

I rerolled a rogue and all I've ever done up to like level 38 is run dungeons on him. It's great.

Mostly I just wish you didn't have to manually run to the dungeons

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
All the best PoE builds don't require any buttons at all (righteous fire)

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I am in the 50s and still have some issues with mana on bosses doing bone spear, but it should definitely not be taking forever to kill things. Get more crit / crit damage!

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I did the capstone dungeon at 44 with my rogue, but unfortunately I can't really do much in tier 3 because everything is 53+ and I can't actually equip most of the good gear.

So I guess I'm back down to tier 2 for a couple levels

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I surpassed my necro with my rogue today. only 3/4 through 51, but he's coming along and rolling in tier 3 pretty easily now. I've yet to see a unique on him, which is weird because I'd found 3 or 4 on the necro by this point. I keep thinking at some point I'm going to switch back to penetrating shot, but I'm having lots of fun with flurry at the moment.

I'm kind of torn between trying to move into the actual "end game" or just leveling the other classes up and getting a feel for what I want to play in S1 before that launches.

I already am a bit annoyed by the aspect thing. I wish you could just keep extracting them from their new items for increasing amounts of cash or something.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
If only there was some sort of cube that you could get all the good roles for the aspects with, that would be great

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Also, I think I know the answer to this, but there is not a way to up the ilvl of an item is there?

Like I've got sacred stuff in the upper 600s in every slot, so at this point I'm not wrong to think that anything without the sacred or unique tag is 100% vendor or extraction trash?

Outside of just the blacksmith improvements which don't seem like they are enough levels for the regular stuff to come close

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

SHISHKABOB posted:

Loot I'd ephemeral. Don't get attached.

Yeah, I know, it's more like I keep finding stuff with a bunch of good damage affixes but it's like 100 ilvl lower than my current sword and so it's unusable.

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some way to feed a higher level sacred thing to a lower level item to upgrade it.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
The interesting thing about early WT3 to me is that I did the capstone at like 45, and WT3 doesn't start scaling until 53, so every level I get more powerful at this point (I'm 51 now). It's a weird change from the rest of the game where you slowly get less powerful every time you level up due to mob scaling.

I assume this happens again if you do the next capstone early as well.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I don't understand why nightmare dungeons are supposedly worse than regular dungeons for leveling. They seem to be the same thing with an additional enemy affix? Is it just because the specific dungeons that can have nightmare sigils are not efficient?

on a related note, how do I get higher tier nightmare dungeons? I'm level 52 and am only getting tier 1 stuff to drop. I kind of figured I'd get tier 2 sigils from running teir 1 dungeons, etc. but apparently that is not the case. Do I just need to level up?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Hmm.. I've got maybe a dozen sigils so far but they are all tier 1. I'll just kill more stuff I guess.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Had two uniques drop within 20 minutes of each other! They were the same one. Ice heart Brais :shepicide:

This NM dungeon did get me a lvl 5 key so that’s nice.

I found a couple uniques on my Necro but I'm almost 55 on my rogue and I've been in WT3 for like 10 levels and he has found 0.

I'm starting to think he's bugged or something

Substandard fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 15, 2023

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I complained last night about getting no uniques, and I logged in and did a cellar first thing before work today where the butcher jumped me.

He dropped a unique dagger that gives +40% damage to core skills if you have 3 combo points and a 30% chance for basic attacks to give 3 combo points.

As a flurry rogue this is amazing.

Complaining on the Internet works!

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Harrow posted:

Okay played around with Flurry a bit and that is very satisfying. I unlocked the Encircling Blades aspect but I don't have enough materials to imbue it on something yet.

Is there a recommended slot I should imbue that aspect in? I'm guessing my ranged weapon doesn't matter since I'm never using it to shoot anything, so should I put it there so it's not replaced very often?

Range weapon or gloves is the best option while you are leveling.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I need to try to finish mastery this weekend, but I've kind of screwed myself in that I did the campaign and a bunch of sidequests on my necro but then abandoned him to switch to a rogue and collected the altars and did a crap ton of dungeons on him, and that is not enough to get to level 4 with 0 sidequests completed.

So I guess I have to either do some sidequests on the rogue or go back to the necro and re-collect all the lillith statues.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I'm curious about S1 battle pass stuff and rewards. Like I assume they will do the Diablo 3 thing and have another stash tab be unlockable each season, particularly since the limit is so low currently, but I'd like to know for sure.

I'd also kill for a gem bag / tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
More XP from nightmare dungeons and sigils that create a waypoint next to the dungeon is a great improvement.