Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Martman posted:

If he doesn't fight a giant spider then he's not my Nic Cage Superman

That was Henry vs the World Engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

Batman Beyond was where Bruce Timm's creepy Bruce/Babs shipping really started. Having them torture Tim Drake in Return of the Joker is the reason I didn't want to watch it. That was and still is super hosed up.

I like the original concept of Batman Beyond, where it was a caped crusader story in a cyberpunk dystopia setting. That was interesting. The Babs stuff and Return of the Joker was when I lost interest, and it really jumped the shark when Justice League revealed Terry was Bruce's son courtesy of Amanda Waller sabotaging Papa McGinnis' balls.

That all started in the last season of BTAS where Nightwing "didn't want to talk" about why he quit and Babs took his place. Which was also the consistently best season of BTAS and had an entire episode about Batman giving a woman an orgasm.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This movie wasn't as bad as I thought it would be although it definitely starts off that way with the baby thing.

The CG is hilarious, and I had to see it all to see what they actually did. They realized that CGing the OG people was going to look bad so they didn't even bother and made it so that EVERY time Barry saw an alternate universe, it looked like complete garbage so you thought it was an intentional artistic decision throughout that you can read into as opposed "we aren't getting it right, so gently caress it." I mean, you can death of the author and come up with some reason everything looks like plastic garbage meaning-wise, but it's not worth it in this case, imo.

edit: nah, that doesn't even work because the plastic babies and the dogs look like nonsense too.

Also, if you want to see the movie, just watch this segment from Teen Titans Go to the Movies instead because it has the exact same plot including the same Back to the Future references as well for the first half: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZloDz2qn_I

And then this for the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY09EnD_Pak

Darko fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 16, 2023

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gatts posted:

He probably rescues a kid by putting them in a microwave during a slo mo scene of him at super speed akin to the Quicksilver X Men films but someone reversed it so it looks like he’s going to cook a baby with a screaming nurse in the background versus taking the baby out of the micro wave

This is what happens, yes. Sadly.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

koolkal posted:

This is pretty funny in the context of that other multiverse movie out right now

Yeah, I avoided any direct comparisons to that to not spoil that movie too. But the relationship and ideology between the protagonist and (final in the Flash since there are two) antagonist in that is literally flipped here.

There were some things I actually liked in this.They made sure to show you again, how the World Engine was literally crushing people in Metropolis and retconned that Barry was there failing at saving people just like Bruce in Beevis . And they double down on Zod killing thousands with the engines instead of trying to roll that back.

Also, I laughed when Supergirl was fighting Zod, she goes out of her way to save someone in the middle, and Zod just goes and blows them up anyway immediately. They did the opposite of what I expected when I saw they DBZ went to the desert and had Zod, Faora, and Nam Ekmtechbically kill even more people, and made sure to show you aren't gonna stop them from killing without killing them.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Nuebot posted:

It doesn't, really. After watching batman die twice Barry goes "Welp guess I can't save you" and decides his best option is to go back in time and let his mom die. But Young Barry is determined to use time travel to solve all of his problems and becomes obsessed with it and then Future Young Barry, who's become a villain, shows up and tries to kill Barry right in front of Young Barry, so Young Barry takes the shank for him and dies so Barry can go back in time and get their mom killed. But because he put the tomato soup on the wrong shelf, his dad gets freed from jail and batman is George Clooney now.

You're kind of underplaying what happens here. The movie is goofy, but it's not quite this truncated and you're leaving out important stuff as to why he makes the decision.

Barry 1 sees Batman die, Supergirl die with her blood harvested and Zod succeeding in Terraforming earth. He and Barry 2 are like, "we can change this," so then we do the time travel movie thing where that future knowledge would let them finally overcome the kryptonians. And it seems to work at first; Batman gets warned about the shield, so he helps out on Nam Ek instead, which means the Barrys have more room to fight others and do a much better job; Supergirl does better against Zod because she has Barry's help, Barry 2 manages to kill Faora (while in the first try, they didn't beat any kryptonians) and it looks like they're going to succeed.

Then, nope, Batman dies after thinking he killed Nam Ek, but didn't. Supergirl dies to Zod because she's not able to outright kill him like Kal El and he just comes back and kills her and so on.

So, this time when the Flashes run back in time, Barry is in the "let's think about what we're doing here; maybe we can't change certain things," but Barry 2 thinks he still can, so we get a montage of Zod winning again and again in the speedforce bubble world. That part was one of the few I liked, probably because it cements the answer to "why did Superman have to kill Zod" arguments and is kind of funny. Then Barry 1 sees in evidence why he has to do what he has to do and explains it to Flash 2 and then future Flash 2 comes and talks and so on.

The "Barry tries everything and nothing at all works because Zod is too much without Superman" is kind of important to that and shouldn't be left out. I think it's a silly message but it is there.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

Nah, this still isn’t worse than Wonder Woman 1984.

It's better than possibly 1/3 of their output. Better than Shazam 2, WW1984, probably whichever Suicide Squad you think is worse, and whichever other couple you personally didn't like. It's like one of the middling XMen films with much worse effects.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Fangz posted:

Is there an argument given why Barry's mum dying is essential for the survival of superman?

The movie makes the butterfly effect work both ways, so when you go back in time and change major events, it basically meges timelines and messes up everything as opposed to having a butterfly effect from that point on.

It makes little sense but whatever, that's the rules it goes by.

Barry saving his mom is a big enough change that it basically merges the Snyderverse with the Burton-verse, where Kal El never landed on earth as a child, and his cousin, who was sent here to protect him, lands later than he would have came like she always does and gets captured by the Russians. It also means Wonder Woman didn't do her thing, Batman started earlier and cleaned up Gotham and retired for other reasons, Victor never got into an accident and Aquaman doesn't exist.

So yeah, his time traveling shenanigans don't work like they should and instead kind of punt him into completely different universes that are all changed from the start for whatever reason.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Fangz posted:

But like, if they can travel back in time and make it so events go differently and Batman doesn't die at a specific time, they could also just go back in time and save Superman. Or maybe he could just save his mom some slightly different way and it'll result in a something else being different that doesn't have such disastrous consequences. Since at the end they still change time but Zod is prevented, why can't Barry just go back in time and save his mom by, I dunno, saying he doesn't want tomatoes that night, and see if the resulting changes are desirable or not.

Furthermore, if he's just being punted into different, pre-existing universes, what's the moral angle to this at all? He's not saving the world from Zod by "fixing time", he's just abandoning one Earth for another one.

There's no way for him to try and put Kal El on earth. Barry doesn't have the powerset to go into deep space.

Zod is the giant issue; without Superman there to inspire the rest of the planet and then break Zods neck, that earth is completely destroyed. There's just no one around that can stop Zod and Faora and Nam Ek and all of the rest of the Kryptonians without the general making Faora horny and distracting her, destroying the army, and Superman destroying the world engine and killing Zod. It's all messed up from the jump.

No Kryptonian to deliver, Zod just kills the higher ups when they meet in the desert, so Faora has nobody to be infatuated with (and the forces don't split at all) and the army fights the Kryptonians then and there with the World engines still being sent out and destroying Metropolis.

Flash keeps thinking he can "fix time" until the very end of the movie. He learns about the spaghetti theory from Batman 2, and basically wants to help that world before he leaves for his own.

I guess theres part of the plot you're missing since nobody said it in the context of this.

Flash wanted to go back to his own time after making the mom change. However when running back, he gets punted into 18 year old Flash in the merged timeline by dark Flash 2. He thinks he's in Back to the Future time travel, literally, and wants to make sure Flash 2 gets his powers to not mess things up before leaving and inadvertently loses his in doing that.

The whole movie, he's basically trying to get back to the "present" but loses his powers, so he can't, and thats when he sees the Kryptonians are here and tries to stop them.

THEN when he realizes he can't, he sees its a doomed timeline and is like...yeah, I'm gonna undo saving my mom since this is just screwed. So he Teen Titans Go To The Movies and goes back and "kills" her.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

roffels posted:

Did I miss an explanation for why
how two Barrys can coexist at the same time, but later, we don't get an infinite amount of Barrys trying to fight Zod when they both time travel? I recall Barry prime saying "we shouldn't be able to exist at the same time" but I don't recall if that was explained further.

No, and time travel movies often mess that up. The only possible explanation is jumping into a parallel verse where they just happen to be elsewhere.

Bill and Ted 1/2 are still the best examples of getting its own time travel logic correct throughout.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

If only there was some substance that could harm Zod. Oh well, guess your world is doomedbye

The only Kryptonite was in the possession of Lex/Batman and I don't think either of them told Barry where it was or what it even did at that point.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

What on Earth? Back to the Future is not about preserving a timeline. George McFly ends up a cool 80s guy, Doc is saved from being murdered, Marty's kids are kept out of prison, Claire is saved from falling to her death. If you're talking about the "I have to make my parents meet" aspect: that is purely in the first movie and driven by the fact that Marty will cease to exist if they don't, and the fact that their meeting circumstances completely change is barely even noticed by Marty, who doesn't care about changing or preserving anything and is the ultimate pragmatist. Same with "stop Evil Biff" - his dad is murdered and Hill Valley is a dump so he has to stop that. Preserving the "original" Hill Valley isn't even on his radar.

The 1st is about this until the end when Marty's minor changes worked out better for his family and Doc went against his own rules. Outside of the very end, the bulk of the movie was about preserving with an end twist that he made everything better by accident.

2 and 3 then just ran with it after they learned positive lessons from the first and they both became make the timeline better bandits.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

GazChap posted:

I haven’t seen the movie yet, but this paragraph stood out at me.

In Man of Steel, it’s Superman activating the old Kryptonian ship that brings Zod to Earth, right?

So if Superman isn’t on Earth in this timeline, why does Zod even show up at all? Does Supergirl activate the ship instead or something?

Yes that's what happens because it shifts who has the Macguffin. And Russia doesn't give her up and the US is like "we have no idea where this alien is" so Zod apparently immediately kills all the brass in MoS in a scene that reminds me of the scene in Mars Attacks! where the Martians just blast everyone meeting them and starts open war on earth.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gatts posted:

Maybe it’s just a bad movie with subpar writing and thought put into it

It is but people are trying to point out plotholes strictly from what they've hears. Some things are stupid, some things operate on weird in movie logic that is explained but doesn't make sense , and some things are explained in the movie and are fine. It's a highly mediocre and often ugly movie, basically.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

nemesis_hub posted:

So for those who have seen it, does this movie actually do an in-universe “reboot” that sets the stage for the new DCU or whatever?

No, it was going to, but they're doing a hard reboot. At one time there was supposed to be a whole Keaton Batman mixed universe thing going forward. But they said screw it and did the...um...other cameo at the end and are only carrying over what works.

I think everything was in Flux right around Black Adams release and they were going full or soft reboot based on that and Ezra Miller's nonsense. The second they saw Black Adams numbers, their press went hard reboot.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

Yes. Have you read anything about this film for the past two years?

That was recent. They retooled it to reset the universe and win everyone over and wouldn't drop Ezra because they trusted the quality like 1 year ago. They didn't change their tune until actual tracking happened.

This movie was literally going to save DC and be the source of rebooting everything. Then once studio heads changed and Gunn was selected, they went in another direction, while.still thinking this would be big.

It got held back firstly.due to Cyborg saying WB was racist and rewriting the whole thing, then Covid delaying everything, and then the recent shakeup at WB.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

Oh hey, how many black people with speaking lines are in this?

Well, there's Iris and...uh...um

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Everyone involved absolutely knew this movie was a poo poo show. I’m sorry but like multiple different director, writers, production delays, the fact it used to be a flash / cyborg team up movie. Ezra Miller becoming a psycho.

Like the only reason they didn’t cancel this movie at the same time as Batgirl was because they couldn’t afford to do it. They already spent way too much on this movie.

Nah, that's not how executives work. It's RT score is way above BvS, for instance, which they also thought would make a billion dollars. Early positive screenings and it being a multiverse movie was their path to success. They sourced Twitter opinions and figured leaning into Keaton Batman is what everyone wanted and would guarantee box office.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Martman posted:

The "eh it was fine" reactions are making me not want to bother seeing this. I want Cats level bad, not Black Adam

It's better than Black Adam. It's just meh, and not really anything to pan except for the stuff behind the scenes.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Here's a guy who has never seen Blade 3, Superman 3, Superman 4,.or X-Men Last.Stand/Dark Phoenix.

Also Godzilla vs. Kong kicks rear end. Godzilla tunnels to the center of the Earth with atomic breath just to holler at Kong. You know who doesn't like that? Dweebs.

Superman 4 is way worse than 3. 3 is silly and terrible, 4 is almost The Room level bad but not incompetent enough to be interesting and boring at the same time.

Also Supergirl, Halle Berry Catwoman, etc. l

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rabelais D posted:

Yeah but there's also loads of really weird demented poo poo in here, like the babies (almost) falling into acid for some reason and surgical knives and a baby being placed in a microwave that goes "ding", even Flash's weird rictus grin when he takes the baby out of the microwave. I actually can't get over that whole scene, it's just amazing. There's lots of other weirdness too, like the way Flash pokes his head out into new timelines at different points like he's putting his head through the anus of space time. Or the frantic sawing off of the bat ears on the suit. Or the way Micheal Keaton emerges from a closet (?) and has the whole hobo kung fu fight in his kitchen. It's so good in a batshit way, it's just a shame the final 30 minutes is so boring and takes place on a featureless stretch of CGI nothingness (like Ant Man).

EDIT: Flash's weird ridiculous skating run when he loses his powers is also great. Ezra Miller is genuinely really good in this, shame they seem to suck as a human. Snyder picked a bunch of wrong 'uns honestly - Gal Gadot is clearly terrible in multiple ways, and even Henry Cavill was weird with his reactions to the MeToo stuff. Nerds love him though because he plays with toys and likes lovely books and is also super buff or whatever. Ray Fisher is awesome however and I look forward to seeing him in Rebel Moon.

Henry was just removed because he gets treated like a woman in attention in every day life and can't really relate or understand since hes also a giant nerd (until he was told it and figured it out). He did well with everyone but Gail and Ezra, really.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Assepoester posted:

DC movies produce the best gifs, it's true

Octopus on the drums is the best thing in the shared universe comic era.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

It's depressing that the low budget Titans show did the multiverse cameo thing better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEZfkalJTR8

It had Grant Morrison; there's no way to top that in a multiverse.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

Except for maybe Batman 66, every Batman cripples countless people.

Batman 66 killed the rehydrated goons.

Dini/Timm Batman uses cartoon logic so he hasn't, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

AvesPKS posted:

So, in this model, the suits and execs act as the creatives? Or someone still has to provide art direction or whatever for the vfx...right? Maybe that's another reason this looked like such poo poo.

Execs only see product. Things like lighting and compositing don't matter to them. What they want to do is ship all effect work overseas to be done in the cheapest possible way to create the cheapest product with the biggest return.