Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The big subs are bad but niche hobby subs or specific game related subs are way better there than it is here where the thread is either dead or like 70% people making GBS threads on it

Also yeah without subthreads here it’s incredibly hard to have a cohesive discussion about anything after dozens of pages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

you got this backwards, reddit's threaded model along with its pure dogshit UI make using it for discussion unbearable

plenty of megathreads here manage to keep discussions going and perfectly readable for thousands of pages. the only real issue with it is that it's not scalable forever, but with the size of this website it's fine

reddit should probably stick to a flat comment style until a thread or a subreddit reaches a certain threshold of activity at the very least

Nah

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

BossTweed posted:

My city specific subreddit will probably be the biggest thing I miss. I guess I will just have to spend more time on Facebook and Twitter.

I once got a Redditor to come tow me like 110 miles when I broke down, my city subreddit rules

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

cum calamity posted:

this is the first time in my life i have seen reddit described as a platform used for worker unity

I am an aviation industry related union shop steward and organizer and this gave me a good hearty lol I’ll be honest and attributing anything regarding worker unity to them is… interesting. In practice it’s the source of a bunch of failed general strike attempts because people seem to think if they just share an image that says when the general strike is on Reddit that it’ll be a thing we are all gonna just hop straight into

I agree somewhat with the sentiment of r/antiwork but if you read it for a few mins it’s a bunch of people who are massively deluded into thinking the end of capitalism is also the end of work

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Lowtax should’ve taken SA public

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I was getting a lot of my celebrity gossip from r/fauxmoi and idk where to go now

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

AARD VARKMAN posted:

can the forum afford to book superhumman for an ad where he yells about something awful before jumping on some nails or whatever

https://www.cameo.com/shoenice

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Yeah I had Reddit super curated on my Apollo app and now I’m smoking cigarettes

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

What are the subreddit mods going to do when their 48-hour blackout finishes and nothing has changed?

Almost every sub I went to that was still saying 48 hours when the blackout started said they’d make a decision based on Huffman’s responses toward the end of the blackout so it seems like it’s probably gonna extend in many cases

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Regardless of what happens I had a script go through and edit then delete my entire 10 year post history and I won’t be going back

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Lusty Grundles posted:

Apparently, the best thing to do is to say the wrong answer to something you're asking rather than outright asking the question. Folks will be more likely to correct you than help you, which is just dandy.

This was internet law well before reddit

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I killed a Reddit employee today and buried him in the desert because I saw his Reddit socks

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The most horrifying part of Reddit to me imo is r/legaladvice. The quality contributors are people who post the most and don’t get contradicted frequently enough to be notable, and a lot of them are cops.

I deal with employment law a lot in my state as a union rep. Searched for my state and was in awe at the horrible advice being given. Subreddits like that definitely need to be shut down

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Double dick dude is real to me god drat it

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

No because redditors have no concept of what makes a protest effective

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

ninjoatse.cx posted:

People who have used Power Delete Suite (a browser plug in to delete all of your posting history) are finding it re-appearing a day or two later. Haven't tried it myself, but, lol

I used PDS and mine stayed gone, that’s weird

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

it makes sense. Old GBS had a lot of overlap with what Reddit is now, so people who left SA for Reddit (dummies) would probably come back to SA hoping for GBS to be the way it was in 2010.

I came back because I just don’t want to use Reddit anymore but GBS is pretty much the same as it was 10 years ago including the super cringe forums tribalism, which can be overlooked for the most part

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Konar posted:

you just mean when everyone correctly says reddit sucks a fat one yeah?

Yes but don’t forget that the 2nd or 3rd most famous goon just got taken down last year for protecting an actual pedophile for like 12 years & also covering up an actual rape after the abusive former owner of the site disconnected from life’s WiFi. Reddit has problems but clean SA is a myth.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Internet Old One posted:

I used to give lowtax all my leftover prescriptions so I could laugh at his strange behaviors.

It worked

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Yeah US based union rep here… that’s a simplistic take on employment law to the point where it’s harmful

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Charenton_ posted:

If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me. Seems to me, there is a good case to be made that an unfair labour practices strike would be totally reasonable. This for-profit company is using unpaid, untrained, unsupervised labour to create profit when those could easily be paid jobs. One could argue reddit is taking away paid employment from tens of thousands of workers.

One could argue a lot. In practice, almost certainly all Reddit employees are salary overtime exempt employees and absent a contract that lays out when they can and can’t work overtime, they can be required to work unlimited overtime unless there is a law specifying limits. In Reddit’s case, they’re based in San Francisco, which to my knowledge does not have a city law covering this like Los Angeles does. There is no restriction on overtime in California statewide.

They will be protected if they’re engaging in a protected strike, but in this case unfair labor practices would be as they relate to employees, not what paid employees think of what the unpaid volunteers are doing. That would almost certainly be an unprotected strike in the US, but either way it would be litigated AFTER Reddit fires everyone.

There’s also tons of different groups that aren’t permitted by law to strike. I am an airline union rep, for example, and we can’t strike without presidential approval. There’s 50 different states in the US all with different employment laws, then there’s federal law. There’s just no one size fits all statement about whether or not someone can work OT or if they can strike.

Edit: while I was typing this, you said something about moderators being employees? They are not.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Yeah I am not at all going to get into whether or not they should be considered employees. They aren’t currently.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Mega64 posted:

At least SA mods get free av changes, what's in it for reddit mods?

There’s a lot more children on Reddit

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Crystal Thenis posted:

come over to this place after a decade plus on lue/eti

kind of making me miss eti

Getting banned from luelinks is genuinely one of the best things to ever happen to me

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Lampsacus posted:

I will say, welcomes aside, it feels a bit odd to have ppl 'returning' to sa. Like, you could have just posted/lurked on both? I guess it's convenient to have a home base of sorts :) welcome!

I am not online enough for two forums. I can check one during my downtime at work and r/relationships was way less sad than e/n

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I have AI presidents narrate all gbs posts

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

What appeal does Reddit have in an IPO, anyway? They have failed year after year to demonstrate they can make a profit. 3rd party apps were, by their own admission, too minor to matter to their revenue stream. What’s changing?

Huffman saw what Musk did to twitter and his brain worms agreed this was a good idea according to the interviews he just did

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

teen witch posted:

Do people still put chive stickers on their car?? That seems so antiquated now

Yes a sports bar I frequent even has the chive tv playing at all times where it’s just like random women having stripper pole fails and injuring themselves etc it’s really bizarre

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I used it a lot to ask quick car questions when working on mine or friends’ cars because posting on car forums is a loving nightmare

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

everyone on car forums is a dick

Yes there is no part of the experience that is positive not the site itself not the users and a lot of the time the advice isn’t helpful either

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Yep great idea to use reddit as a source for information

This is a problem with how Google displays information and not Reddit. In the Reddit thread it cites, the only one that says Yes is downvoted and for some reason Google decided to display that as the top result despite 7 other top level comments saying not to. Likely related to them using AI to answer questions. Google has gotten loving awful lately.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh thank god, reddit's reputation is saved

Jury’s still out on your internet literacy

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I used to work in fraud for an airline and we had passengers get scammed out of thousands of dollars every day by googling us and trusting the first result, which was always a scam, and would’ve been obvious by actually looking at it. Imagine being that person

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

It does crack me up because I check the airline subreddit occasionally and there will be a post that’s like I CANT BELIEVE THE AIRLINE CHARGES $1000 IN GIFT CARDS TO TRAVEL WITH A PET THATS 10X MORE THAN MY TICKET COSTS and the comments will be absolutely eviscerating them

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I just wanted to see the news and it won’t stop showing me the bbc

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Fools Infinite posted:

Did imgur actually follow through and enforce their new policy? I mean it doesn't seem like it.

I asked one of my friends irl who has an OF and she told me she still posts on Imgur to post to Reddit because she gets the initial interaction/upvotes and then after a few hours Imgur deletes it but doesn’t ban her or anything so she uses it like a timer on her content :lol:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Heath posted:

So are you all just going to go back to Reddit once you either give in and use their lovely app or someone finds a workaround?

I uninstalled Apollo at the beginning of the blackout and haven’t been back and won’t be back

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Here's my white girl Asian food spicy take: the app is bad sure, but the worse thing was the content. Every single person who says why Reddit is good describes ways they enjoy specific things *despite* Reddit.

Your niche subreddit was always better off as a forum, Reddit is a detrimental element.

It’s a bad take for sure, especially for the video game subreddits. The Diablo 4 thread here, for example, is a making GBS threads contest to see who can poo poo on the game the most and is completely loving useless for finding anyone to play with. Zero moderation or if there is it’s just to stop people from implying the person they’re arguing with is the r word. The state thread for my state is combined with the other giant adjacent western state and is nearly completely dead. Would a forum be better? Have you been to the official Blizzard forums? Facebook groups for your city? It’s one of the few things that may break my moratorium on Reddit.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Seems inaccurate, it's mostly people making detailed + informative posts about builds and game stuff

Maybe temporarily, but largely it’s I am Sam pics and people who should go play POE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Yeah, car forums are an actual nightmare especially if you’re a primarily mobile user like I am. UX aside the people there loving suck and a lot of the Reddit communities are pretty good about weeding out the assholes