Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

For like 10 years the US clothing store/product line "Express" (maybe now it's called Men's Express, or they split the men/women's section?) was my go to "affordable but decent quality work clothes and suits" store. Like every pair of slacks, button-up shirt, and suit jacket came from there since 2012. You could get clearance stuff for like 50% a lot because it was "out of fashion", and I used to buy several pairs of good quality slacks for like $50 each and they'd last years. They also regularly had "slim fit" versions of shirts which fit my narrow frame perfectly.

The last two pairs of pants I bought there lasted about 5 months before the lining on the inside just shredded apart and the hems at the bottom started unraveling. I got two nice dressy short-sleeve summer shirts from them in April and one of them promptly just lost a button and the other started having the fabric at the base of the shirt just crumple up. And those shirts were like $60 each.

gently caress them, I may finally just make the move to getting a tailored outfit for my important work clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

is pepsi ok posted:

I once had a business professor back in the mid 2000s who previously worked negotiating with retailers on behalf of manufacturers. He told us a story about an underwear manufacturer he represented that desperately wanted to get into Wal-Mart and were willing to sign an exclusive contract with them to make that happen.

But that's when the screws started turning. Every year Wal-Mart would insist on lower and lower prices per unit, and since Wal-Mart was their only buyer they had no choice but to comply. First the manufacturer did layoffs to compensate, then they moved their production to China, and when they could no longer cut labor costs they started cutting down on the thread count of the underwear until they turned into paper thin pieces of poo poo that would fall apart in a few months.

Yeah, but have you considered that for a handful of years shareholders and C-Suite execs got huge payoffs for this decision?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Am I crazy, or did digital games on the Nintendo Switch suddenly get some miserable DRM thing? I’ve had one since 2017 and mostly get my games digitally. I feel like in the last few months they suddenly have to “verify” that I can actually play my digital games all the time. I do not recall this happening ever before.

Super cool when I am taking my portable gaming device somewhere without internet and I’m locked out of the games I have 500+ hours played in because there’s no wifi nearby.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Beastie posted:

Did you perhaps buy a second switch and set one to your Home? I have two, a Lite and a launch. Lite is my home console and I can play anything I want offline. The GBC, SNES, and 64 channels still need to be verified like once a month.

My other Switch needs to be online to verify my games when I launch them.

I did get a new Switch this year to replace my original, maybe I did something wrong. I thought I just erased it totally, but maybe I need to change the settings. Thanks!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

I watched the new Super Mario Brother movie which made me finally watch the old Super Mario Brothers. The old one is better. It isn't even close. One is a cheesy movie the other a collection or references with famous people voices and music you will recognize.

My 5/7 year olds love that movie. One of the few things that will keep them totally enraptured for 2 hours straight.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

I'm not even going to get into the rest of it but to start with, there's a reason every STEM degree includes humanities and its to try to avoid people inventing super-smallpox because "its just technology, it's always morally neutral." Just like guns!

Just pretend I posted the dril “drunk driving” tweet here cause I don’t want to look it up

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

While clothes and clothes shopping has gotten worse in general, shopping for men's socks has started to piss me off above and beyond. I'm about a size 12-13, depending on the brand, and every sock company now does "Size 6-12" as the standard, with "13+" being the other main option (if you can find any). 6-12 is an enormous range for feet size, which means half the time I buy them they don't fit at all, and half the time they barely fit. If I get the "13+" they are enormous and loose. It's like the sock equivalent of wearing a Magnum condom.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Vampire Panties posted:

I also stopped wearing my Apple Watch; i couldnt think of a single thing I wanted to be notified about bad enough to wear a second cell phone on my wrist. Plus the fitness tracking (on the 6 series anyway) was pretty weak. It started to feel like a scold I wore that I had to charge every day.

My partner got me one for my birthday last year, and I was pretty meh about it before and when I got it. However, it has a few neat features that I could live without but would be annoying now that I am used to it. I have an authentication app for work I used 20 times a day, and pressing a button on my watch is easier than pulling out my phone every time. I also really like the haptic/vibration alarm for waking me up in the morning. The walkie-talkie feature is also useful because we have a 7 year old who walks to her friends house across the block, and we can just give her my partner's Apple Watch when she leaves so we can see where she is and message her when its time to come home. It's also nice for working out because I can set timers on my wrist instead of doing it on my phone.

All this stuff is very minor and I could easily live without. I would definitely not buy one for myself though, especially the new ones that are like $700.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Back to the "getting in queue for places online", I have no clue what the gently caress is going on with some places. My 5 year old needed a haircut and the weather was about to turn lovely so I just found some SportsClips nearby that was open on Sunday. Registered an account through their website and "got in line" through their system. Haircut was at 3:45 so it said to be there at 3:30. I rolled up at 3:30 and sat down with about 10 other people in the waiting area. There was no cashier/clerk person, so after half an hour I went to one of the stylists and said, "Hey, I scheduled an appointment for 3:45. Any idea what time a stylist will be available?"

The lady checked the system and was like "Oh, you were supposed to schedule an appointment when you came in". I told her I had scheduled one for 3:45 online, and she said "Oh that doesn't schedule an appointment it just sets you up to come in here and sign in on that kiosk over there". I asked what the point of doing it online was, and she said "It saves time for when you actually get here and need to schedule the appointment time".

What the gently caress. So I'm giving them my email to say "Hey, just a heads up I'll be in around 3:30 and then I will want to schedule a haircut?"

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

That's not how that works in my local sports clip.

I’m assuming I was supposed to go in and “check in to the store” when I came in, and I did not do that and instead just sat down waiting for half an hour.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I moved out of my parent's house at 19, went to college, spent half a decade overseas, then lived in my own apartment for 4 years until I moved in with my partner. At 30+ years old my parents would still regularly ask me "Do you ever cook?" and I would say "Yes? How else would I eat?" and they thought "Oh we figured you just ordered food every day". No idea why, maybe because I lived in a city and they thought that's what city slicker millennials did?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

“Oh no, oh no, oh no no no no no”

*3 second pause*

“Oh no, oh no, oh no no no”

*3 second pause”

“Oh no, oh no, oh no no no”

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I have a 7/5 year old, and they don’t have access to any social media, including YouTube, but occasionally on days when they are home and my partner and I
Are working remote we will let them have YouTube on their Switch for the day. They are incapable of watching any video for more than 10 seconds so what I hear all day is:

“YOOOOOO WHATS UP MILK-FAM! It’s your boy Cally-Crumbs back with another…”

*silence, followed by 15 second ad*

“today we’re going to see WHAT HAPPENS when we put 500 plastic dinosaurs into a tub of Silly Stuff Brand Jelly Puddy!”

*Silence, 15 second ad*

“Oh no! My little sister stole my HAIRBRUSH! I’m going to cover her room in Paint!!!”

I’m sure this will produce some sort of disorder that mimics ADHD since their brains are being primed to only accept information that can be disbursed in under 5 seconds.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Around Christmas my partners tiktok was people yelling at or about their kids. Sometimes it’s women crying about some grievance or social attack. Seems like an unpleasant experience.

My partner uses TikTok a bunch, but mostly for fashion stuff and hate-watching. She's gone down a rabbit hole of this weird side of TikTok where people are overly concerned about other people mistreating animals. But not like, physical abuse or whatever. It's people comment bombing some teenage who posted a video of all these toys she bought in anticipation of her new puppy, and dozens of comments where people saying "You are A MONSTER and should be in jail because none of those toys are BLUE! This is ANIMAL ABUSE!!!"

Apparently blue is the only color dogs see vividly (???) and by not purchasing blue toys she's basically abusing the puppy?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I agree with that, and I think there's another really terrible aspect to the modern internet: The self-feeding ecosystem.

Something happens and is posted. 10-15 years ago it would have been a viral video or meme or whatever. But now there is an entire ecosystem of "influencers" who basically exist just to give their "take" on stuff. So this thing happens, then a YouTuber makes a video of them reacting and commenting, then some TikTok person makes a video about that first YouTuber, then the original YouTuber makes a video reacting to that person's reaction, then some other YouTuber makes a video about the whole "drama", which is then commented on by some other person who makes a whole video lamenting about how dumb the whole drama is, then another person makes a video talking about how the previous YouTuber is hypocritical because all they do is make videos talking about how dumb drama is while actually profiting from the drama. Then the initial guy makes a YouTube video about the person who originally talked about him. It's all this ouroboros of different influencers circle-jerking off to each other until whatever mildly interesting thing that happened is bled dry.

On one hand, I get that people now watch YouTubers in the same way people had a favorite talk show or late night host 30 years ago, but there is so little actual content now.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

If that's actually a thing, why would anybody be so desperate for content that they'd seek it out or engage with it, in a world where access to books is almost limitless and it's extremely easy to find non parasocial entertainment?

I'm assuming this is a tongue-in-cheek post, but if not: because people are incredibly lonely in the modern world and parasocial relationships offer a way to feel connected with humans.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

The problem with this is that technical education (computer touching doesn't count) is for acting on the real world and the laws of physics don't give a gently caress about intellectual property. Even capitalism cannot defeat nature.

Yet.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Saying “IRC and old forums are the same as modern social media!” Is that flat wrong. There was no algorithm telling me what threads to read or billion dollar advertising giants completely controlling the flow of information in 2001 SA. IRC was not 50% bots shilling for corporations and upvoting their own comments in 1998. It was lovely in its own ways, but it was much more fragmented and less susceptible to being bought and paid for by any one entity.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The Ghoul posted:

That's not what's being discussed. The last two pages are complaining about not getting content on tiktok, or being annoyed hearing other people using it. There are many legitimate issues to be had with social media in the 21st century. This has just been complaining about a new thing.

My post was obviously a meta commentary on my posts being a thing that are getting shittier for no reason.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

It is both fair and necessary to give poo poo to people who can't feed themselves.

Wasn’t there some terminally online Twitter people feud about making fun of people who don’t cook? Like because they were claiming it was some sort of trauma thing?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

redshirt posted:

The 3 point shot has degraded basketball fundamentals.

As a non sports player or watcher, I remember telling my friends in high school “why don’t people just shoot threes? Like why not practice nothing but shooting as far back as you can. It would be almost impossible to guard” and being told that wouldn’t work and nobody could do it.

Look who’s laughing now!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Internet Old One posted:

Younger people have bought the line that the internet must be plastered with ads in order to exist in a usable state. I had at least two interactions on Reddit where people couldn't believe that that it once had no ads.

In 2002~ I was watching YouTube with my friend (only one who had broadband) and I said “I can’t believe there’s no commercials” and he was like “nobody would watch it if there were commercials”.

I want to apologize to the world for speaking that horror into existence.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Less than a year before all fundraising positions are replaced by chatGPT because a mid-level exec at a nonprofit barely scraping by convinced their board this will lead to better mission/vision alignment. They will accidentally be correct because grant makers will replace all program development staff with ChatGPT so they can reduce their overhead by .02%.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Outrail posted:

One funder I spoke to about this confirmed that:
-We can't spend the money on staff wages
-We can spend the money on contractors
-It would be completely acceptable to fire a staff member who costs ~$40/hr to employ and contract them back at ~$100/hr for the duration of the project

I pointed out this would be illegal and they didn't have anything useful to say after that.

I’m lucky to work at an organization that will fund staff and operations when it makes sense. We’re pretty big on doing hiring and capacity development for fundraising and development positions. However, we do get a fair share of:

“our organization needs to hire a project manager at 200k a year for three years”

“Okay, what duties will this person perform that will contribute to your organization’s mission and what are the plans for year four and beyond to maintain this necessary position?”

:shrug:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

Will the AI nurses be housed in robot bodies so they can lift/move patients and insert IV's and give injections and insert catheters and so forth? I'd hope so.

Never played it but I’m imagining the strong Atomic Hearts robot lady gingerly carrying my decrepit body to bed, then accidentally breaking my humerus while trying to inject medication into my arm.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

euphronius posted:

Sounds more like a You issue. You gotta breathe and relax. It’s just people trying to live

“Hey, could you move your cart? I’m trying to get through here and you’re blocking the entire aisle”

“Just like, breathe man, we’re all just trying to live ya know”

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Gwely Mernans posted:

The engine auto shutoff is so annoying for my commute. I usually take a back route to work that includes about 6 4-way stops out in the boonies. Unless there's a bunch of traffic, most people do slightly rolling stops since you can see traffic from a mile away as you're pulling to the intersections and I can't tell you how many times the sudden loss of acceleration causes confusion because people think you're letting them take right of way before your car suddenly decides to turn back on.

Probably more of an infrastructure problem but still a gripe I have.

My car doesn’t have this, but my dad’s enormous F-150 (or something) does and it freaks me out. I’ll stop at a light and not even notice the engine shut off until it buckles and groans as I put my foot on the pedal to go.

I get that it’s to cut down on emissions and save fuel, but maybe in lieu of that you could just buy a smaller vehicle?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I worked at a grocery store in high school and the Pepsi delivery guy had a son, maybe 7-8, who came into the store with him occasionally. Apparently the kid had a fish tank on his dresser and while pulling a drawer open the tank fell on him and smashed on his face. I saw him after he got out of the hospital and he had probably 300 stitches zigzagging across his entire face. He looked like Chucky the Killer Doll in the later movies. After that I was always really cautious about heavy stuff on dressers.

That was 20 years ago, and I think about that kid sometimes. I hope he healed well and is doing good.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Obviously way younger than you’re talking about, but I’ve been teaching my 5 and 7 year old kids basic PC functions. Typing, how to use M&KB, finding where files are located.

Very possible that by the time they are 20 everything is VR or whatever dumb bullshit but it felt really bad watching my 5 year old jam his grimy index finger at my desktop monitor to try and open Roblox for the first time.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The metro area I live in (which is very murder-y) has always been pretty lax with enforcing traffic violations, but it’s definitely gotten worse in the last 3 years. I see cars driving with 30-day tags that expired in 2022, or no license plates at all. The city has basically given up on trying to stop these gangs of 100+ motorcycles and ATVs that just cruise around town running lights and swerving around cars. There are entire areas I avoid driving in on weekend nights because crowds of cars will block off entire big intersections so they can do burnouts.

Part is probably post-covid mentality, but I know a lot is just that worsening crime means that cops won’t even get out of bed unless it’s a murder or something happening in a wealthy area.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

"Just move to a red state where everything's still cheap." :smuggo:

I work primarily with small towns in the Midwest and the old adage of “lower cost of living” is just gone. Moving to a lot of rural towns now means that your rent is still $1700 a month for a small house but the average wage is $40k instead of $70k in the city an hour away.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

You know what else is cool? Daycare is $1700 a month for our youngest.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

My partner and I make pretty good income for a mid-size Midwest metro area and we still basically have no real investments and likely won’t be able to afford a house for a very long time.

We moved out of the city, because our daughter’s school shut down due to funding, and prioritized a good school district. We got in a legitimate bidding war for a rental and ended up paying $100/month over the listed price and signing a longer lease just to get it. I have no doubt they’ll raise the rent ~15% at renewal.

We’re in our 30s and all our friends who have houses are in one or two situations:

Bought a house in 2013-18 with lots of help from parents

Bought a house in 2018-2022 with even more help from parents.

Both our parents are nearing retirement with maybe enough to live until 80 without going broke. I truly believe that we will probably have to rent until the kids move out in 12-15 years and we can just aim for a little 2-bedroom house. And that’s if we’re lucky. Even then we very well may be priced out of living anywhere with a decent school district in the next few years.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Another kid-related complaint: kids get so many days off from school now. I know this is for the benefit of the teachers and their development and lesson building time, but it sucks. At least 2-3 times a month, outside all the breaks and holidays and regular in-service days, the school just lets kids out on a Friday.

They had a full week off for spring break (which we never got growing up, ours was Wed-Fri), and then when I pulled into school on the following Monday they said “oh we’re closed today too”.

It’s not a huge problem for us because my partner is fully remote and I’m hybrid, but I cannot imagine being parents who work retail or manufacturing or travel or whatever and having an extra 3-4 days a month where your kid is just home on a Tuesday. Better have a grandma nearby or pay an extra $500 a month for ad hoc babysitting.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Look I'm not up for getting dogpiled by communists, I'm just letting this goon know that if they think housing is Stock Market EZ-Mode, guess again. It's the Dark Souls of investments.

What in the gently caress

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

“Being a landlord is the Dark Souls of investing” is going to haunt me for a long time.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Time_pants posted:

None close to where I live but God drat I have 20 new reasons why I would never live in Wichita.

Add that to the list of 100 other reasons Wichita sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

My older sister bought me an account because I was browsing Gen[M]ay and she was like “that place sucks”.