Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Not specific, but every time there is a small company gets known doing/making something good and well it then get brought up by a large multinational and within two years at most they're been effectively closed down and the multinational is just using their name to sell what ever crap the multinational always sells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

In the latest release they moved “Save and Close” to a drop down under “Save” and the button next to “Save” is “Close as Lost” which definitely didn’t cause any issues when everyone’s muscle memory went there to save and close.
Hahah, at the point it starts to feel openly malicious.

Oh what's also really great is when a social media site rollout UI changes in a seemingly arbitrary manner over a long period of time. I've run training social media workshops for people with poor digital literacy before and gently caress does it make it a headache, particular cos often they don't even give any good description of what the UI changes involve or when they'll be rolling out.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

the holy poopacy posted:

Some of it is very transparently there to drive ENGAGEMENT etc, but I've always assumed that most of it is UI developers trying to justify their jobs by constantly reinventing the wheel and discovering there's only so many ways to make a wheel before you're just making it lovely on purpose.

Heard from people who work in UI often it's just layers of management just all wanting a say and wanting to make a mark, so often UI developers end up having very little say on a lot of the more important parts of the UI. Which on a large app makes a lot of sense to me as I really can't see random lead UI lead #1 having all that much say about what are the most important elements in a UI compared a bunch of managers all wanting the thing there departments working on to be directly in the middle of the screen, flashing and in the largest font possible.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Phone tree hold music/quality of cell phone voice audio in general? Worse, I swear. I think by saving .0005% extra bandwidth by reducing the call quality to the human threshold for understanding something such as speech, they save $1 at the end of the year.

With hold music, yeah there's a Tom Scott video on that, but basically first off all the audio on the phones are badly compressed specifically to retain voice, which screws over music which has far more range, but often now the music is getting compressed in the corporate communication systems at multiple points each time turning more and more garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2A8q3XIhu0&t=100s

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I mean to be fair going on the internet back in the mid to late 90's was pretty poo poo in a lot of ways as well. Like I really don't miss dial up. There's a lot of poo poo stuff happening at the moment, but just for a lot of basic function stuff, finding and streaming video and music has never been easier, neither has chatting to mates either by txt of video chat. SA's still around, and honestly rare need any other forum stuff other than that. I think probably the worst thing happening internet wise that actually affects me any is that google search has become pretty poo poo.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Media plays that come with OS's tend to be garbage. Like You really don't need to do much why are you so garbage.

The best ones just come with VLC.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
A good thing about projects is if you have kids - or you and you're mates like psychedelics- they're very fun just to play around with, and highly enjoyed by both groups (but um not at the same time).

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Lol I used to think that amazon was evil, but knew what it was doing.

So this is far better.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Woolie Wool posted:

YouTube doesn't have a viable business model and never will. Longform HD video hosting is about the most expensive internet thing there is, eventually it will have to restrict itself to uploaders who can pay big money or go away.

I mean just doing a quick check and with the numbers I could find it seems that youtube is currently profitable. The operating costs are high, but it does still get quite a bit of revenue from it leading to a small profit. Not as much as a company like google would want, but profit none the less.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Look if we would just download all the spyware they want us to they would stop having to jank up the search results like this.

Really this is all on us.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

credburn posted:

I can't remember -- did they... "skip" Windows 9?

Maybe people would confuse it with Windows 95 / 98?

That's one theory, but apparently no one really knows as far as I can tell:

https://www.techworm.net/2022/08/what-happened-windows-9-skipped.html

Officially it's cos 10 sounded cooler.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ProperCoochie posted:

Anybody have that meltdown rant post about enterprise printers?
The "Please insert paper into tray 4 to print from tray 3. Please insert paper into tray 4 to print from tray 3. Please insert paper into tray 4 to print from tray 3" one or whatever.

Printers in general. Their ideal state is one of broken and any time they are not in that state is most fleeting with all theirs thoughts are to they can return to that peace again.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Extra Large Marge posted:

This will usher in a new age of analog invites and fancy stationary.

Lol and people laughed at me when I sold my computer and electronic devices for a custom wax sealing stamp kit.

Look who has the best comms security now!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Wendigee posted:

I don't want any croutons on my caesar. Just give me a bread roll I don't want your old poo poo!

Ceasar die for the right to eat stale bread in salad, and you just go and throw that stale bread right in his dead, dead face like this.

Pah, no respect.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

it's especially galling how totally informal and one-time purchases require registering an "account".

Also some free online downloads or what not. They than make you make a more secure password than most anything else.

Hey, this account has a made up name and a temp email address that will auto delete in 10 min linked to it, why the hell would anyone even want to steal it? Like literally the only reason hackers would be interested in would be to grab an email/password list to see if it could be used to break into an actually useful thing.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

teen witch posted:

I’m wondering if it’s similar to nursing and teaching: no one wants to be paid peanuts for one of the hardest professions. I also wonder* if it’s due to the “women do these jobs a lot so pay them less lol”

As has been pointed out quite a lot, one thing Covid was actually good for, was pretty clearly showing what a lot of the most vital jobs for keeping a society going are and pretty much none of them were professions that paid or that were generally considered "respectable".

What does and doesn't pay in society is so often rear end backwards to how it should be.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
From my understanding you can buy a whole deep fried cow and filled SUV worth of coke -I believe that the correct US measurement system for liquids- for like $7.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I feel like they should make all printers run of bit blockchain, just to you know concentrate all the inherent evil IT stuff in one place.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Who needs child care. Just get a goat pen and a guard goat then you can just plop your child in there for however long you need.

More children should be raised by goats.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

aniviron posted:

The world wasn't ready for Microsoft Bob, which was perfect in all possible ways.

There's a better world, a perfect world, where Microsoft bob became the prominent OS globally, alas that be not a world any of us will ever see.

:(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

credburn posted:

"Shorts" are just YouTube videos but you can't move around the timeline, right? gently caress that. I refuse to watch anything that doesn't let me watch it how I want to.

Yeah they just use a completely separate player to normal YouTube video that basically has zero features and is shitter in every way.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I think the only positive I can think of with youtube shorts is it puts all that garbage in one location. If there was an effective way of just never seeing them it might of actually been a good idea.

I actually bothred to google "benefits of youtube shorts" and it was literally just all advertisers saying, hey it's a good way of showing people your short ads when they're on the go!"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Time_pants posted:

I think part of the problem is that the pace of invention used to be slower, so when a technology happened, it would be improved and iterated upon several times before the next big game-changing technology came along. Now, it seems like an endless parade of stopgap or nonstarter tech that comes along in the lulls between actual seismic shifts in technology. Nothing is around long enough to grow and mature, so it's just one lovely new-and-different-enough half-measure that sort of addresses a problem while introducing two new ones.

Nah, a lot of the shitness just comes from trying to make things cheaper and with more ads. Often first versions of things will actually be pretty good, but once people start using it than they just ad on more crap and don't care as much as people are already using it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Biplane posted:

I do all this to scrub my youtube of altright poo poo, then my son watches a video about zelda tears of the kingdom, and the algorithm just goes fully fash immediately, throwing up andrew tate, ben shapiro and jordan peterson all over my home page. Must be a coincidence no way would the algorithm try to steer kids towards fascism!!!!!!!

Look everyone know Zelda is 100% fash what with his ocarina and his killing of all those minority "monsters" and all.

Nintendo don't even try and hide it!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Everyone should be buying jeans a few sizes to big anyway because baggie jeans are awesome.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

sebmojo posted:

Google mail is a gigantic piece of poo poo and I can't find anything on it. Like, I know this person sent me an email, show me the emails they sent me in date order, motherfuckers you are a trillion dollar corporation this should not be hard

The worst thing is I know for a fact that people who work a google do use gmail for their work email. The people who screwed up gmail are somehow living with the terrible decisions that were made to lead gmail to doing that crap, and they're still not fixing it. WHY!!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

People actually think outlook is better than Gmail? drat

I swear, like a lot of google stuff, gmails been getting worse.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So there's a whole bunch of horses out of work since we start employing them to be ridden everywhere right?

Couldn't we just train them to drive everyone about? Don't see them running into each other all the time, so they should be perfect drivers.

Problem solved. :colbert:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Extra row of tits posted:

Im gonna grab the low hanging fruit.

Movies.

Eh movies always go in ebbs and flows of better and worse. Looks like finally comic book movies are dying off a bit, so possibly getting better soon.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The next wave is already upon us. Toy/product movies.

Good, maybe we'll get a proper Garbage pail kids movie this time. :colbert:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ikanreed posted:

I was at a gas station that recently moved to self checkout, and you no longer scan things. You just drop it all on a table and some ai camera thing guesses the products with like 70% accuracy.

Is there a re-guess button that you can keep on pressing until it guess some expensive thing as a cheap one, as that sounds like fun!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jelly posted:

This would create a culture where people figure out what things they can snake by that look like other things that are much less expensive

This feels far more like the dystopian cyberpunk future we were promised.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cerekk posted:

59 oz half gallon, also gently caress the poor

yeah, it's pretty obvious they made WIC, like most aus welfare stuff, intentionally poo poo.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

GolfHole posted:

They deliberately pick the bad produce and expiring items for curbside + delivery orders because even if only half of people claim a refund it's a lot cheaper than throwing it out.

I think this may depend where you live. Not having a car I like to get a large delivery of staples every 2-3 weeks or so -which delivery is just great for if you have the refrigerator/cardboard space- and never had a problem with this. Produce and expiry dates have been pretty much what you'd expect if you grab the item at random. Always completely average.

I put this down to the packers really not caring and just grabbing what ever easiest, which is what you'd expect unless managment says anything otherwise.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
If all goes well with the email they'll send you few more bottles so you can ruin more of your stuff!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

humpthewind posted:

Please for the love of god install an adblocker.

But adblocks deprive good honest malware installers money. :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Preoptopus posted:

Lil Wayne had a lyric like "I'm gang gang I've been bout it. Ill go bin laden on anybody"

You wouldn't think of the Taliban as a gang, but I mean they were involved in selling drugs, bin laden released a bunch of dis tracks, and they liked to start beef with others, that often lead to shootings, so I mean it does sort of follow. :shrug:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Funka posted:

I'm still using Photoshop 7. On Windows 11 (don't Windows 11).

Yeah, newer photoshops have some nice features but nothing I regularly use isn't in 7.

gently caress as a service software.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dip Viscous posted:

I don't like to self-quote but it's been something on my mind a lot lately.

That's a thing? Jesus.

Vising my sister in a more rural Australian town. Seeing a whole bunch of people with large guard dogs.

Never see anyone walking them. Possibly they do, but I don't know, I'm out and about a lot and it's very, very rare to see anyone else walking there dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

DoubleT2172 posted:

The Federal Reserve took that from us

drat those fat cats at the Federal Reserve eating all of McDonalds reserve of McDoubles

Just the fattest cats :(