Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Sentient Data posted:

Oh, that 4.99 price on the shelf? No, that's only for our Superduper Saver Club Membership, step aside and install our app and give us all your personal info and confirm your email and confirm your phone number and add your credit card and share the coupon with all your contacts in order to activate it first

867-5309

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

20 Blunts posted:

i really dont know if the reason is good or not but basically once a grocery store stops putting out baskets for shoppers I write it off
Yeah what is the deal with grocery stores hating baskets all of a sudden? You'd think they'd be easier to deal with than carts, because they don't have to be taken in from the parking lot.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Koburn posted:

uhhh what

Could you explain your post, Mr. Wool?
leftists bad

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

As someone who’s had to work on a friend’s smart car a lot they loving suck please just buy a prius
Priuses also get much better mileage. In addition to being tiny, smart cars have dogshit aerodynamics so they only get 40 mpg highway.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I was driving today (I know, I'm sorry). I stopped for a pedestrian at a crosswalk directly adjacent to both a popular park *and* an elementary school. The pedestrian was crossing in front of my car when this loving douchebag sped past me on my right, less than 6 feet from where the pedestrian was. It was quite scary. Not the first time that's happened to me as either a driver or a pedestrian. If a car is stopped at a crosswalk, the car might be stopped for a pretty good reason!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Biplane posted:

You can't even use the self checkout to steal because of how it's set up here.
skill issue

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

MrQwerty posted:

as someone who has gone on a fac/maint path in their career,

boomers who know their jobs are secure want to keep them secure until the day they die/retire and have no desire to teach anyone who might replace them.

This is now a widespread problem in industry.
Not to worry, because IBM has some magic beans "AI" that will translate all of it into Java.

https://www.fudzilla.com/news/58088-ibm-wants-to-use-ai-to-upgrade-cobol

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

at least the sad brown fruit is still there

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Philthy posted:

GAS PUMP ADS THAT SCREAM AT YOU AS YOUR CAR IS BEING FILLED UP
Those ads are very successful at getting me to go to other gas stations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That is batshit insane.
It all worked out great for Eddie Lampert though, so what’s the problem?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

doctorfrog posted:

Since you can now vomit out crap like "Sense and Sensibility and Zombies" with the same effort as dialing a phone number, the market will be overwhelmingly flooded with such garbage (even more than now), effectively ruining mashup literature forever.
The thought of mashup literature somehow being made even worse is very chilling indeed.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Taeke posted:

My cheap smart tv used to be pretty simpel and easy to use, if a bit slow with the inputs. If I pressed the home button on the remote it'd bring up a bar on the bottom of the screen where I could easily and quickly select the app (youtube and all the streaming poo poo) I wanted.

Since the last update it instead brings up an entire full screen OS that takes seconds to load that's busy as gently caress with all the recommendations and ugly poo poo.

I just wanna be able to quickly switch from netflix to disney+ to HBO to prime goddamnit.
I'm sure this has been said in this thread, but never ever ever connect you smart tv to wifi.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Pistol_Pete posted:

An innocuous Google search returned websites that my antivirus flagged up as dodgy for the first time that I can ever remember.

I was just looking for some data on gym stats; the sites my search returned all looked kinda dodgy: obviously randomly generated website names, ai-written content etc and when I clicked on one of the more reasonable-looking ones, my anti-virus started getting antsy and flashing warnings about the site at me. Dunno if it was the site itself, or some 3rd party advert running scripts on it but Google search is definitely shittier than it used to be.
Don't use antiviruses. They're massive security problems in themselves.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Vampire Panties posted:

Loan officers are the weirdest thing to me. They're sales people, who get paid specific commission on closing a loan, but they're supposed to make sure that the customer can afford the loan. So if they did their job correctly, they would lose money. :psyduck:
And now you know why the 2008 crash happened

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Diogenes would be offended that you don’t spread your piss o’er the hill and dale, preferably while a lot of other people are around.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Gwely Mernans posted:

Lol no, but I'm sure someone who goes there will know what site I'm talking about since there's a lot of crossover between user bases. The nice thing with SA is that it's much larger so I can just read the megathreads about random interests and not run into a ton of drama most of the time. There, if poo poo goes down it's literally all anyone is talking about.
Jesus Christ, how tiny is this place that SA is “much larger”?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Time_pants posted:

They probably also made the cardboard tube slightly bigger.
You complain about things getting smaller, and also if they get bigger. There’s just no satisfying some people!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Aramis posted:

I don't think there's any corporation that has as large of a canyon separating the quality of their consumer vs industrial offerings as HP.
IDK their industrial offerings blow chunks too

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Philthy posted:

That would be true if wages didn't go up significantly as well. The local Menards is hiring at $19-22/hr. Pre-covid they were $7.25.

And they still can't get enough employees. Because they don't exist. Everyone in my area has had "Now Hiring" in their windows. The restaurants close at 8pm because they can't hire enough people. They all got drained for desk jobs that are hiring anyone that isn't a serial killer. Look around you, it's not because people aren't willing to pay, they are. They just have no one to hire anymore. We've run out of people. Unemployment has been sitting at zero for the past few years now. Larger businesses are scalping workers, and they're paying for it by increasing their product prices. Until we oversaturate with workers or people stop buying products, prices keep climbing.

I work in the financial industry. Our yearly profit sharing for the past 2 years has been employee retention. We've been losing some of our best workers because someone else is willing to pay them nearly double what they were making here. People are getting close to $200k computer toucher jobs in the midwest. It's unheard of. They need people that bad. I'm not talking about data scientists here, I'm talking admins, network peeps, security dudes.
The small business tyrant defender has logged on.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

woke kaczynski posted:

Yeah I've been looking for work in the tech industry for almost exactly a year now and from what my friends and colleagues in the industry are saying, all these jobs I hear about must be in other industries.

Funny thing, though, because all my friends who work in hospitality are saying the same, and my friends working in retail get bait and switched every single time they apply to one of these alleged well-paying jobs.
:same:

Data scientist with a PhD and 6 years of industry experience, and I know python, r, AWS, all that garbage. I’m at about a thousand applications right now. But yes, nobody wants to work anymore.

It’s a useless job and everything, but I’m sick of this BS that I should be able to walk in anywhere and that “AI” is exploding. Boomers have also suggested that if the job market is so bad, I should just get a job as a “professor.”

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 31, 2024

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Cerekk posted:

Well one guy posted that he knows people getting paid that, and then another guy posted an anecdote that he personally had a hard time finding a job, so I think I'll go with the holistic body of evidence and the all time low unemployment rate rather than the bitter musings of some randos that for all we know are unqualified for the positions they're applying for.
you should look up how unemployment is calculated. It might surprise you!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Salt Fish posted:

You have a PHD in data science? Maybe you could get a job as a sports gambling bookie or as a data entry intern.
There’s not really phds in data science. It’s not actually a field, but just basically a job title with vibes of computer-heavy statistics. Most employers just want a PhD in whatever quantitative-heavy field, although you need previous DS experience for any DS job nowadays.

The moral of the story is not to do a PhD.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

RDM posted:

Plenty of degrees (undergrad and grad) in Data Science now, from departments or centers for data science.
Yeah, but you can get degrees in all sorts of nonsense.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

StormDrain posted:

I bought a case of Celsius from Costco, that poo poo slaps hard.
Zoa is better

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Cerekk posted:

I looked at a rivian when I was shopping for a small truck, but it turns out the money I would have saved on gas was outweighed by the forty thousand additional American dollars it costs to get one instead of a Maverick
I would say that you should have gotten a used Tacoma, or certain generations of old Rangers, but lol at used truck prices.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 15, 2024

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Duck and Cover posted:

I like how all video players are poo poo. Yes even the one you are totally already typing as a response to this post. Okay maybe not poo poo but not great either. Also people not properly labeling subtitles, cropping files. gently caress it's like these lazy fuckers work for Netflix or something.
If you think those video players are bad, you should see the ones integrated into paid streaming services!

Also, can someone please recommend me a podcast app whose developers have even a foggy idea of how people consume podcasts? I’ve already tried all the ones anybody has heard of.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Outrail posted:

Thanks, I'll look at this as well.

It's an SSD and about 60% full

Woolie Wool posted:

Before you do this you should probably install a thermal monitor program to make sure this is actually your problem, if your computer is maxing out at less than like 85C while thrashing like crazy, taking it to a shop is a waste of money
Yeah, there's a number of free programs to check CPU temp for Windows (and other OSes). You'll also want to check if the lagging due to memory or CPU. If it's thrashing from needing to use a bunch of on-disk virtual memory, temperature is probably not the culprit, but a computer shop is still probably overkill. It's possible for Chrome to have some misbehaving extensions or even malware. Might be worth it to try switching to Firefox.

If it is temperature, you can try blowing out dust and lint with canned air.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 15, 2024

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

MrQwerty posted:

just wanna say, "lol"
you’ll lol even more once you find out the political leanings of a number of Suckless people

https://twitter.com/pid_eins/status/1113738764797534208

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 16, 2024

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I had a google home for a number of years until a year or two ago. It steadily got worse and worse until I was using it as just a glorified kitchen timer. Great to hear it can’t even do that now, apparently.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Desert Bus posted:

7 year old me didn't really need to know about what 1960's people thought about dog breeding. I just wanted to learn about dogs. :(
The 1974 Encyclopedia Americana we had (mom was a librarian and got it for free) had an article about dog breeding or w/e that referred to female dogs as “bitches.” You better believe I milked that to say as many swears with technical impunity as i could. I also learned a lot about 1970s computers, like how magnetic core memory was a thing.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Back when I was at a nonprofit we got this grant that required us to spend $80k on a consultant. This was for a super hyper-specialized policy area that the people at this nonprofit were experts on. Anyway, the consultant knew so little he couldn’t even really understand what the grant was about, taking up our time and making us look like idiots to other people in our field in the process. We could have really used that money too.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

wash bucket posted:

I finally got forced onto the new version of Microsoft Teams at work and it still doesn't support Windows notifications. So now I have to keep a Teams window open all the time to make sure I don't miss anything.

Thanks for removing that feature Microsoft.
It could be worse, such as if you needed to use the Mac version of Teams :negative:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Quote-Unquote posted:

My local bowling alley has one of the "teen repeller" tones in the lobby. I'm nearly 40 and I can hear it very clearly, but none of my friends younger or older can. It's loving horrible.
Boy they really want to see bowling slide even further in into irrelevance

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

buffbus posted:

Why stop there? When my current Subaru eventually dies, I probably won't even replace it. I'll just sit in the driveway and make engine noises with my mouth while bouncing in the seat. Food delivery will cost a bit but it's better than dealing with a new one with auto engine stop.

Speaking of things which suck, yeah, auto engine stop sucks. It's especially awful in traffic when it's 100 degrees outside.

Also my first car would sometimes stall at stoplights and refuse to restart so you can imagine the stress that might trigger.
As long as the Subaru isn't rusted out, you can always get the engine rebuilt or replaced. It's a lot cheaper than a new car.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

modern car design has focused on "safety" so much the messaging may as well be "feel free to crash at any time!"
And that safety only includes vehicle occupants, not pedestrians or cyclists. The EU and other places have mandated pedestrian safety standards in vehicle design for years now, but we just keep getting increasingly deranged giant trucks with vertical grilles the height of an adult.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Blue Moonlight posted:

In Season 1, they were practically recliners.

The screens are tilted so far away from the chair angle, how can they read poo poo? Data and Geordi probably can, but I'm pretty sure everyone else just has regular eyes.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I was under the impression the Amazon stores just used RFID. It seems like that would be easier than hordes of workers staring at video but IDK.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

My dog rolled in fresh green deer poo poo today. This made him much shittier, but he probably had a good reason.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Technocrat posted:

I tutor kids in IT (programming through game design), and the caps-lock typing thing really threw me. Given how consistent it was, I wondered if it was something they were being taught in schools
When I learned to type as a little kid I did the caps lock thing because it was easier to hit from the home-row with my then Trump-sized hands. I didn't get out of the habit until like 16 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Blue Moonlight posted:

Imagine trying to conclude a derail by shifting the conversation to bikes vs. cars.
Cyclist and pedestrian deaths have gotten way the gently caress worse, so it qualifies for this thread.

Smart phones are bad.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 10, 2024