Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
i just noticed elon musk got shittier again for no good reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

As a lifetime chronic sales-shopper, sales at grocery stores are becoming way more predatory and difficult to take advantage of.

One of the main offenders is the "you have to buy 5" of the things to get the discount. This has always existed but now it's like half of the available sales. Not super realistic for a single person household.

The other one is requiring an app and "scanning" coupons to add to your card. This doesn't even work on my phone. Like my phone can scan QR codes (I've eaten at restaurants that require it) but it doesn't work for these. I asked an associate about it and they're just like "just take pictures and show the cashier and have them adjust it" and I'm like I'm not going to annoy the gently caress out of the cashier, they didn't ask for this either.

So in addition to the general inflation of goods, stores are taking heavy steps to make any kind of savings a huge pain in the rear end.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

thin blue whine posted:

I know people were already poo poo talking smart TVs but someone got me one as a bday gift last year and I had to get rid of my 12 year old TV, and it is the worst thing that has happened to me. I want to think the person who got it for me thought they were doing something really cool for me but I keep wondering if they secretly hate me.

Not only do I have to see loving ads and the layout is just ugly as hell but the apps crash randomly and sometimes my TV just starts having seizures and/or locks up. I hate it so much.
I was non-plussed when I tried to install the Paramount app on my TV and it told me I'd have to sign in to my television (LG account, which I don't have or want) to do that. Only Paramount+ and I think Discovery+ require this, for some reason. So I watch Paramount on my PS5, because gently caress you LG.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

AARD VARKMAN posted:

The paramount app is the worst app in the history of streaming apps
I don't know if you mean content or utility but I've had it for like 72 hours or something and I'm already pretty unimpressed with it. My biggest draw was Lower Decks but I'll probably blast through most of the newer Star Trek content like Picard and New Worlds and then cancel it unless people tell me there's some other must watch stuff.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

I wanted to watch Everything, Everywhere but saw it was a showtime thing so I went to the account page to try and update my trial and it's like "this will forfeit the trial and bill you immediately"

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

holefoods posted:

You should get your own router and modem. I have my own and comcast is constantly trying to tell me it’s outdated and too slow so they can milk that extra money out of me on a monthly basis.
xfinity's app will test your modem speeds and let you know whether it's taking advantage of the speed you're subscribed to

the app will even issue an upgrade through the mail if you're using their modem

then they send you the exact same piece-of-poo poo modem they already gave you originally

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

ikanreed posted:

I was at a gas station that recently moved to self checkout, and you no longer scan things. You just drop it all on a table and some ai camera thing guesses the products with like 70% accuracy.
This would create a culture where people figure out what things they can snake by that look like other things that are much less expensive

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Cerekk posted:

Please tell me where to find the grocery store where the cashiers aren't required to pretend they care how my day is going, so that I can shop there.
I have never been to a grocery store where they give a gently caress about me in my entire life, where do you live

some people make small talk because they're lonely, but that's different

the only people who pretend to actually care or get in my business are salesmen who work at high ticket stores

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

post itt if you're here to complain about checkout lines or checkers greeting you

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

aniviron posted:

I have lived in both huge cities and rural bumfuck, and will confirm that in rural stores, even huge chains like walmart, it's fairly common for the staff at checkout to make earnest smalltalk, and even recognize/remember me and ask about things that we talked about last time. Only ever had this happen in the city when I was working late and would always shop at 2am, so the overnight staff got to know who I was because I was one of like ten people they saw.
I have also lived in both. It must be my "leave me the gently caress alone" energy, smell, or general horrific appearance.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

credburn posted:

I like the automated phone messages that hang up on you if you hit 0
If you're doing online customer service and you switch windows while you wait for a response it automatically ends the conversation

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

GolfHole posted:

helps if you spell February correctly
It's autofilled. They've only typed Fe, so the user has not done anything incorrect.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Cerekk posted:

59 oz half gallon, also gently caress the poor

This makes me angrier than anything in this thread. Like how is this legal? You can't redefine a measurement system.

Okay, go ahead and show me all the historical examples of redefining a measurement system.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

evobatman posted:

I loving love QR codes at restaurants, it's one of the few good things to come out of the pandemic.

Scan as you go self-checkout is also good once you get used to it.

Neither of these are good for workers though.
The ones Kroger requires you to scan for additional discount don't even work.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Internet Old One posted:

I treat my work mbp with nothing but contempt and never have these issues. You guys have cheap dells and that’s the real issue.
I had a self-built set up for myself to acquire for work and IT over-rode my request and made me get a Dell instead (which was more expensive) and I've never hated a computer more than I hate this piece of poo poo Dell that struggles to do super complex things like use windows explorer, or rename a file.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Get a Pixel. I mean...still no 3.5mm jack (boo hoo, it comes with a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter, stop whining) but it's pure Android, no UI skinning/un-installable vendor/3rd party apps like a Samsung or any phone from Verizon or whatever.
I just got a Pixel 7 and it did not come with a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter, but even if it did, really the only time I want the 3.5mm is for road trips, and if I'm on a road trip, I need the USB-C for power.

Not saying there aren't other solutions, but it's still inconvenient.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

I'm going to get one of those bluetooth cigarette lighter adapter things for my next road trip. They seem pretty handy. Anyone know if the sound quality through them is alright?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

Fm transmitters are garbo, get a bluetooth adapter that has a 3.5 output for an aux jack. If you don't have an aux jack look online to see if there's an adapter you can get that plugs into where a cd changer would go on the stock radio, and failing that use a casstte adapter if your car can take tapes or a wired fm modulator if not

thanks, this makes more sense

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I mostly read sci-fi and feel like there's a good amount of new decent stuff coming out still, or at least, I am far less jaded about it than movies. Partly this is because recent years have really moved toward gender equality in awards and publishing in genre fic

the god awful "Kaiju Preservation Society"' getting a Hugo nomination probably isn't a good sign though

A lot of newer fantasy is really good, too, for example the 'Broken Earth' series by N.K. Jemisin. And I'm reading this really great series that I'm sure a lot of people are familiar with called 'Red Rising' which is kind of a fantasy/sci-fi blend.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

When we were kids and went to the store my sister would always get a box of the Chicken in Biscuit crackers, and I would always get a box of the Twigs. I think Twigs have been gone for like twenty years.

Please bring back Twigs.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

lately all my streaming apps on my TVs randomly log me out constantly and it's really starting to chap my hide

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Talk about something that got shittier for no good reason!

microwave burritos and frozen pizza

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Needed to find the nearest gas station today so I searched "gas station" on Google maps, expecting to be able to sort by distance. That option was gone. The top result was a Sponsored™ gas station that was significantly farther away than other options. The only filter available was "open now." I could only scroll through a random assortment of gas stations in the area. I had to manually type "closest gas station" to get it sorted by distance.
I've been hearing some pretty amazing things about Waze lately, thinking I might give it a shot. Every time my sister tells me about it, it's like a retelling of "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut".

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

StormDrain posted:

Breaking the speaker did come to mind.

America just broke the speaker.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

I feel like one of the biggest issues with computers isn't necessarily literacy, but the type of user who has absolutely no control about clicking literally anything that even slightly catches their eye because they're completely incapable of critical thought.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Just had a flashback of switching out these big manual proprietary tapes, that kept record of all our register transactions, in the back office at the end of business day at Radio Shack back in the late 90s.

They kind of looked like giant 8-track tapes, and they were beige of course.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Darth Brooks posted:

Against my better judgement I picked up a meal at KFC. The honey is now a honey like substance rather than actual and plentiful honey.
The last two times I went the chicken was pink and uncooked. I have decided to never chance this ever again.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

is pepsi ok posted:

I hate the loving Netflix button on my remote so much. Accidentally hitting that thing not only interrupts whatever you're watching but it takes 7 button presses to exit out of that goddamn app.
I feel like either your TV is bad or this is a skill issue. You shouldn't ever need to "exit" apps. You just start up the other app with that app's button, or the home button if it doesn't have one. If you hot-button all of your streaming apps you can always navigate between all of them with a single button.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Beastie posted:

My mom was visiting me about 7 years ago and she was like "Wow, your netflix/amazon/hulu is so fast!" and I had to show her it was my $500 Xbox One X and not my TV.

I'm going to be argumentative again and state that the apps on my PS5 are utter poo poo compared to the ones on my TV. In speed, functionality, and picture quality.

Except for Paramount+ because my TV wants an LG login for that one I refuse to watch it on there since the PS5 doesn't care.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

I don't know if this is a new development, probably not honestly, but buying bird seed is a loving scam for novices.

All I have to say is buy it conservatively until you find out what the birds in your area will eat because if you go to places like Home Depot or Lowe's like 90% of the poo poo they sell is absolutely useless bullshit garbage that no bird will glance at. It's a legitimate scam.

Like for example this Hello Birds Wild Bird Blend specifically states it's feed for birds like sparrows and finches. That's a loving lie, they are not going to eat that poo poo.

The bag has two types of "seed" in it, one is black sunflower seeds, which they will eat if nothing else is available. But 90%+ is just milo. You can read all about it here which will straight up tell you it's filler. Why the gently caress would I want loving filler in my bird seed? You just spent almost $20 on literal trash.

Anyway, if you want a seed that sparrows and finches will go ape poo poo for, just get a straight up bag of millet

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

drat, I definitely can’t say that “bird seed is a scam” was on my radar

You and me both!

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

humpthewind posted:

Holy poo poo I wondered why the little pieces of the seed I buy is all over the ground under my feeders. I'm going to stop buying the large bags I guess.
Kay-Tee seems to be a pretty good brand and I really like their Birder's Blend. You can get this at Target, too. It's got some milo, but it's pretty minimal and doesn't bother me.

I use that stuff and throw in a few extra tablespoons of the millet, and that's gold.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

McDonalds standard cheeseburgers are like the size of cookies now.
Where I live they're also $3.

McDonalds' is so far up their own rear end it blows my mind. Fast food is loving fast food. I moved from Boise to the Seattle Metro area and McDonalds was the only fast food place that I saw a price increase that was more than a few cents, and it was like 2x as much.

Then they dropped all their app deals except the BOGO.

And then they dropped the Filet-o-Fish from their BOGO.

It's such a poo poo-tier place now, but they're still posting record profits because Americans are dumb as poo poo.

This probably isn't the first time I've melted down about McDonalds on this website.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Like dude, you can get a cheeseburger from Dick's for the same price as a McDonalds cheeseburger. That is insane.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Hamburger Stand/Wienerschnitzel is cheap and their food reflects as such, but they are even better than McDonald’s at this point. You can get an entire family meal with 8 burgers and fries for the price of a combo meal at Mickey D’s, it’s insane.

And the Big Mac isn’t much bigger than even the cheapest Hamburger Stand burg now, but it costs four times as much. McDonald’s has sucked poo poo for at least a decade by now, and they’re only coasting by on name recognition and people who don’t know any better.

I think part of it is the family audience as well, which does play into recognition of course. Parents have to take their kids where they want to go. Like every Dairy Queen I've ever been to has been easy to get through and their food is mid tier, it's okay. But I lived in the suburbs of Lake Stevens for a while and around dinner every day that place would have a line 15+ cars long nearly wrapped out to the street when there was a Taco Bell, Burger King and Jack In the Box all within a few mile radius that had less than three customers. It becomes obvious who holds the power and logic doesn't play a role.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

Every ad I get is for deodorant but I don't even wear it, so I feel like internet ad targeting has completely failed.

They're great at advertising poo poo to you after you already bought it.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

I was curious about this, and sure enough two by four is a name that means 1.5 x 3.5" and its because historically they could cut them 2"x4" and then when the boards dried out they would shrink down to about 1.5x3.5" and eventually it was formalized like this to make building more consistent.

Amazing the dumbest thing I've seen today is in this thread and not the Trump thread

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Microwave dinners were never good but I always thought they were palatable. This is no longer the case. Like they are no longer edible. I don't know if this is a new development, or if it's because I've been cooking well for a while, but I can't get like two bites into most of them anymore before tossing them out.

Lean Cuisine Protein Kicks are straight-up dogfood.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

they're the official whites supremacist shoe

looking forward to the day someone calls me a white supremacist for wearing jamie foys

lol and lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Southern Cassowary posted:

why are new balances white supremacist shoes exactly

Apparently one single white supremacist ever said a thing

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/new-balance-rebukes-white-supremacists-adopting-its-sneakers-hate-symbol-n684776