Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

indigi posted:

the Persona games make me have a lot of granular questions about Japan. like the high school shoe lockers: do students wear loaner shoes? are they in socks all day at school? are they barefoot? based on how often we'd knock the textbooks out of peoples' hands at my high school the boys would always have bruised feet

also how come the boys are always so excited to see the girls wear yukata, is there some cultural thing I'm not familiar with? they just look like fancy, well-fitted bathrobes. the girl characters wear much more flattering outfits all the time

you take off outdoor shoes and put on a uniform "slipper" that's basically a slip-on tennis shoe. (public sanitation came late to japan, and urban streets were kind of the medieval poo poo-gutter stereotype into the 20th century, so the clonky wooden platform sandals to keep it off your feet were de rigeur well into modern schooling and those tear up floors fast.)

the second one, it's kind of the cultural counterpart of the prom dress, the summer event young ladies really traditionally went hard on dressing up for. persona being persona, of course the cast is stylish all the time, but in a more grounded school life, and especially in the more grounded school life remembered by people old enough to be in senior roles on a mid-00s game, it's kind of the one time you probably see your classmates in anything other but sweats or a hand-me-down department store suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Let's take the opposite end of absurdity: insist on 16k, at x8640 it's the first doubling resolution that can gracefully handle good old NTSC's 480 lines of 11:10 pixels and you'd even have some left for scanlines.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Done with Logiart Grimoire until the incomplete mode (please be color, my heart couldn't take "up to 2x size" meaning 80x60s and just more 40x30s would be a letdown) launches.

It's another Jupiter picross game on the Jupiter picross engine, even the bgm was originally placeholdered in from the previous Switch version. Nice to have it on PC, though, and the fusion system was a fun little word puzzle in between the number puzzles. Emil as Definitely Not Vivi isn't deep but that's a fun archetype to see, and the "rejected" puzzles are nicely unpredictable.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

evilmiera posted:

So what was the reason given for not letting you import your character wholesale from the first part of the ff7 remake?

I don't think the devs have ever really talked about it, but there wouldn't be much room left for mechanical growth or cool poo poo to find in 2 if they did. A lot of stuff got pulled forward to make a cohesive 30-hour game with satisfying (yes, yes, I know, 9999 is a brainworm) endgame numbers out of a five-hour extended tutorial, and it has to either go back away to be found again, make even your first play a NG+, or be replaced with stuff that doesn't squeeze the nostalgia gland.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Xaris posted:

lmao good god, bullet dodged. yeah i used to follow SO1 woes early on since i was obsessed with SO2 and it did take along rear end time to get it running + translated, i think not until like 2004-ish? i know it was pretty late. there was also an sprawlingly complex dynamic romance/friendship system that also effected story and gameplay

but yeah it was insanely ambitious. maybe the most ambitious SNES game of all time?

tales of phantasia was one of those games that took awhile to get translated/running, but was a great weird game. i've never played any other tales game so I dunno if it's related to a series or what.

The (SO) chip also got used in Street Fighter Zero 2, a not entirely inaccurate layman's description is that it implemented .png in hardware so all the sprites could fit.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Buck Wildman posted:

Tomi the American born and bred is also clearly reading the english dialogue phonetically. dunno why sega couldn't just spring for a bilingual va

never underestimate the power of casting finding a guy with okay-to-good English and then the director telling him to enunciate like middle school English class so the average player can tell it's English and understand most of what it means.

not sure if this is what happened in y8, but I've definitely heard it even from people who had English as their first language before. rapid delivery even seems like a tell that their English is normally fine and it's just direction that they're not quite following.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

One More Fat Nerd posted:

It feels unfair to include FF1 (and presumably 2 or 3 if I'd played them) in a ranking like this at all, tbh.

3's one of that final wave of NES stuff that's pretty much an SNES game tied to a worse GPU and limited storage space. Doesn't get much love at all in the west, where 5's evolution of the systems to full freeform came first and the only official English version until just now was the DS port that tried to modernize while also satisfying the old fans and just ended up with "remember how you used to have to turbogrind to use jobs we didn't expect you to? well now you have to turbogrind to use any job so you can freely pick and choose!", but there's still a lot of love for it among people who played it realtime and among the current dev staff.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Isn't that just like... 5 card stud with dealer picking the wilds

The problem's the physical limitations, or making new subsystems to replace ones that are physically inconvenient, I think is the point. You could very easily recreate Balatro simply by having zero cards, a play-sheet letting you fill in cards and modifiers, and then simply rolling d100 every time you draw something and moving chits around to cover current hand and used/discard. But it'd just be endless rolling d100 at tables like a very bad set of Hackmaster house rules.
If you try to recreate Balatro with physical cards, on the other hand, you start by needing 18,000 or so decks of cards that need to be shuffled together and then resorted every time you open a booster, you need copious amount of chit stickers and then to rigorously peel them off after every game, or you need to replace some very basic rules like "you can add, remove, copy, or transform cards" or "cards can be wild/foil/red seal/any combination of these at once" with things that work very differently while still being recognizable.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Al! posted:

whenever i hear the word lancer (as you do, all the time in the real world) i picture a guy in full plate that makes him look like a dragon carrying a giant rocket powered lance instead of a guy on horseback

i think about gay bulges

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Al! posted:

god drat medieval bohemian history is crazier than i thought

they did not czech themselves before they wrecked themselves.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Al! posted:

thats so loving cool, logographic alphibets ftw

Yeah, Japanese name readings are fun (if you aren't handed a list of names and asked to pronounce them)--there's a vocab of "normal" names for pronunciation purposes PLUS a whole big pile of alternate readings to construct the dithematic meaning you want.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Hatebag posted:

i played that. it was good but not quite as good as sotn - didn't have the charm. are the 2d sprite ones any good?

Yes, but they're specifically Castlevania Castlevanias, not Metroidvanias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
You can still get drat zippy, it's just moved into particular boons and attacks

Alternately, you're still quite zippy relative to enemies, it just requires using the CC every build now has properly.