Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

My first choice for comfort is probably Child's Play 3, specifically when paired with take-out Chinese food. It's like the perfect melding of mediocrity, and for some reason I find that comforting.

Second choice is Killer Klowns from Outer Space, pretty much whenever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky:OCTOBER CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT :spooky:

Hard to believe, but we're less than 3 months away from another October Challenge. As I've mentioned before, Fran has passed the torch to me at least for this year, so I'm trying to get my ducks in a row with as little procrastination as possible. I've never done anything like this before, so we're going back to our roots with a more traditional set of challenges, not the Spooky Bingo of recent years. I hope everyone is ok with that and it's not too much of a bummer for those that enjoyed Spooky Bingo.

So I guess my main question right now is about the number of challenges. Too many? I feel like erring on the side of too many is probably the way to go for October, people like challenges but we don't want it to feel overwhelming to complete them either.

I don't mind the idea of a lot of challenges, especially if there are a number of them that can be covered with rewatches if people want. But, with that many challenges in place, it might be better to open up the Challenge thread a couple of days earlier in September and post them all right up at the top, so that people have a few extra days to work through them.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

It unfortunately doesn't really count, because it was removed from the end credits and relegated to home video promotion only, but I'll always stan for the Chucky Rap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDVA7xGv4RU

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

weekly font posted:

did you know that EVIL DIES TONIGHT

spoilers, it does not

Evil goes to live in the sewers like a Ninja Turtle TONIGHT

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

gey muckle mowser posted:

Rankings, you say!?

Ends
Rob Zombie's II
Rob Zombie's I
Kills
H:20
Resurrection

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Alternatively just make a movie about a space turtle and go for it.

I'm still waiting for a proper big screen "Discworld" adaptation.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

I remember The Empty Man being an investigation film for like half its runtime. However, I felt that element detracted from the creepy supernatural aspect, and then it spent so long being an investigation film that when it circled back to being a creepy supernatural film, it didn't work anymore.

Your mileage may vary.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Christopher Landon (director of the Happy Death Day series and Freaky) has been confirmed as the director of Scream VII. I'm kinda into the pick, honestly. The guy clearly loves classic slashers.

Halfway through the film, Ghostface and Sydney switch bodies, and now "Sydney" is the one going around killing her friends and promises to kill herself at midnight.

At no point does Sydney-in-Ghostface's-body remove the mask.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Going back to VHS chat for a moment, the $90 price point thing for distributors was something that stuck around for a long long time. I remember seeing a catalog of new purchasable titles at the local Phar-Mor - sort of a small Southern drug store chain a la Rite Aid - that used to rent movies and games. I was interested in potentially getting a copy of Tomorrow Never Dies, the first Bond film I'd seen in theaters, but it was priced at $100 in 1998 money. Cheaper to buy a copy of "GoldenEye 007" and an extra controller for the N64 than to get one single VHS tape before its public release street date lol.

But, it wasn't all bad for those distributors - sometimes they got goofy pitch videos with the stars to try to pitch them on the smart financial business of buying copies of smaller and mid-budget films for their stores. Like this one, starring Chucky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7irP3CTyDsg

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Origami Dali posted:

I need a good horror movie that primarily takes place at a carnival/fair or small amusement park that is not The Funhouse, Ghoulies 2, Freaks, or Haunt

Last page, but the third act of Child's Play 3 takes place at a fair, and it's probably the series' best.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

That was one of the dopest haunted house rides ever put on screen, even if it was wildly unbelievable, and the mountain of fake skulls Andy has to scramble over is metal as hell. Plus, I always preferred the bit about throwing Chucky into the giant fan blades over all of the ridiculous poo poo that they had to do to get rid of him in the first two movies. (I know everyone's gonna talk up the ending to CP2, and I get it; it's the solid silver medal here. The Good Guys factory setting for the previous movie finale was a good idea, but I felt it just looked a little too same-y with that one box design being stacked everywhere, and it felt like they didn't do quite enough to capitalize on the rest of it.)

Honestly, I love the Chucky film series, but final acts are not exactly its specialty.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Fantastic ad.

BTW, if anyone hasn't played catch up with season 2, it'll be dropping on Peacock either at the end of September or on October 1st as a lead-in to the new season. (Why they waited a full year between it finishing airing on cable and putting it on Peacock, I have no idea.)

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

What are the most autumnal horror movies? Like if I want the cinematic equivalent of snorting some crushed up red and yellow leaves

In this vein, the opening of Halloween 4 is one of the most evocative representations of the season, and in only like a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m24E4MMDlTc

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

It's a shame images can't be thread titles

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Don't look at the spoiler if you don't want to know one of this year's October bonus challenges:

Freddy vs. Jason 20th Anniversary Challenge: Watch a Freddy OR Jason movie, OR watch a monster-mash movie(i.e. multiple monsters in a single film).

Awesome idea, but there's no way that it's been 20 years since my freshman year of college. Like, there's no way that's actually legal, right?

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

The Horror Thread: Camping Irresponsibly

Those teens going to Camp Crystal Lake should know better by now :colbert:

Alternatively, that sounds like a thread subtitle more appropriate for Games than in CineD.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

So here's something mildly interesting... apparently AMC's FearFest is officially starting tomorrow night, for two months of horror movie goodness. And it's being curated by Shudder (excuse me, "Shocked By") Shudder, so there should be some people in charge that are making more appropriate choices.

https://www.vulture.com/article/shudder-amc-fearfest-halloween-movies-tv-shows.html

The article also goes into detail about how AMC will spread around it's offerings amongst all of its TV networks, and will try to tailor them to their respective audiences as well. (So, We TV will get more features focused around/made by Black women, since that's that channel's most popular demo, while BBC America will get more sci-fi stuff). So that might be a neat experience for people who have access to those channels and tune in semi-regularly.

Key to note, though: While the whole thing kicks off tomorrow, it will be smaller in scope through September, and relegated to only Friday nights. Indeed, looking ahead on AMC's website, it looks like the only thing we'll get tomorrow is a pair of episodes from "The 101 Scariest Horror Movie Moments" that doesn't even start until 11 PM EST, so there's not going to be too much Spooky September shenanigans going on on all of those AMC networks.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

We're doing it boys, we're reaching perfect synthesis...

What am I... what am I lookin' at here?

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

A Fancy Hat posted:

Shudder is still my go-to streaming site when I wanna watch a good horror movie, but Tubi loving rules when I'm working from home and want to put on a bunch of wild obscure stuff in the background.

Am I going to sit down for 90 minutes to watch Dr. Giggles? Probably not. But you better believe I'll throw that on while I'm "listening" to a really painful conference call.

You should watch Dr. Giggles :mad:

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

PYF Forgotten Sitcoms:

Opopanax posted:

That's Dagon

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Naked Man Punch posted:

Where to go after that? S4 has to be either in space or Chucky has access to a time machine.

Can Chucky get any louder and angrier though?

Also,

Chris James 2 posted:

Wherever Chucky goes from here I'll follow :hellyeah:

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Watch Chucky start a loving war

Seems a shame he got Lt. Col. Shelton (SIR!!!) and Col. Cochrane killed, then.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Conrad_Birdie posted:

it’s gonna turn out her teenage mom is the murder, for sure, right.

If they do, I hope they end up going for a riff on that deleted ending from The Butterfly Effect, where she stops her mom and ends up erasing herself from existence. Just go for maximum sci-fi ridiculous-ness.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Finally got around to getting some frames for some of those posters that Shout Factory sent me. Now I just have to figure out a place to hang 'em in my new place.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Count Thrashula posted:

Next weekend I'm going to the drive in to watch a double feature of Critters and Killer Klowns, with the Chiodos brothers in attendance.

Can't fuckin wait

Mad jealous over here now.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Lumbermouth posted:

Absolutely follow the Mahoning Drive-In on whatever social media you have, because not only do they have insane weekend festivals like that one but you can also pay a little more and camp overnight on the theater grounds if you're coming from out of state.

EDIT: like this is September's calendar

This is in Pennsylvania, right? Isn't that also where Joe Bob Briggs was filming (already filmed?) the specials that they're running on Shudder right now?

Also, I was never as big on Critters 1 as I was Critters 2, so seeing that they have Killer Klowns paired with Ernest Scared Stupid on Friday is actually a bigger draw, for me personally.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

Pansexual skeletons.

The limp wrists had me sold.

Target presents the Lisa Frank Halloween Collection

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

This reminds me, I have a question to ask about the October thread. I was having some fun finding little gifs to post along with each of the challenges but then I realized that maybe it would be kinda annoying for some people to have like 15 gifs on a single page? Especially considering it's the first page so people might need to go back to reference it?

How much of a thing is that? Would people rather just skip the gifs to avoid loading/data issues? It sounds like a dumb thing to waste time thinking about but I don't want people to be annoyed every time they need to go back and look at the list of challenges.

There's going to be 3 "sets" of challenges, right (brand new, rewatch allowed, meta)? So instead of an individual gif per challenge listing, could you do one gif per set? Then you'd only need 3 on the page, and that might be less painful for people. (Personally, I don't care either way, but if you'd wanted to be respectful of people's bandwidth, that would be an option to keep the fun but limit the pain.)

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Medullah posted:

But then again, Camp Crystal Lake should have been closed about 50 times.

They renamed it Camp Forest Green, what more could they have done?!

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Deadite posted:

That playlist feels like it's acknowledging a dearth of good horror in the late 90s

Doesn't have Candyman, doesn't have Tremors, doesn't have Scream, doesn't have Bride of Chucky, doesn't get Event Horizon until December... an absolutely mid list.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Tired: Defeating the Phantom Train with a Phoenix Down
Wired: Defeating the Phantom Train with a Suplex
Inspired: Defeating the Phantom Train with Interceptor

Edit: Or, to be more on topic, this old throwback: https://ghostbustersiii-.ytmnd.com/

Class3KillStorm fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 21, 2023

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Deadite posted:

What are the top 3 Saw movies?

According to Rotten Tomatoes, the top three are:

Saw
Saw VI
and then Saw II tied with Spiral

So Saw X: Better than Spiral!

I liked Spiral just fine, so hearing that the new one is considered even better is good to hear. Weirdly, though, I'm a bit miffed that they're just going back to the Tobin Bell Well here; I was hopeful that Spiral was a sign that the series was gonna move away from the John Kramer stuff and start getting weird with the usual signs and signifiers that it had been leaning on to this point, like Billy the Puppet and the pig mask and all that.

Oh, also, top 3 from the series ranking goes 1, 6, 3, in that order.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

SAW II is wretched, Whannel has openly said it was a repurposed spec-script rush job and it shows. 1,3 and whichever the insurance industry one was (6 I think?) are the best, but 4 has the best kill (glass box at the end on the detective)

You are correct. Both in terms of the plotline in 6 and the quality of the films.

I haven't rewatched 4 in forever, maybe I should next month. I don't remember that glass box kill at all, let alone why it would be the series' best one overall.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

I fly by the seat of my pants and only seek to satisfy my desires in the moment, consequences be damned.

Just like in every other aspect of my life.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I was thinking that it probably has something to do with the transition from book to film, where it's easier for a book to show the passage of time versus a 2 hour movie. But that actually doesn't make a ton of sense in this case because Kinderman doesn't meet Karras until Burke Dennings dies, and from that point how much time really goes by before the end? A few weeks? A month?

I guess it's really just that Kinderman is a lonely guy and he happens to meet Karras who is struggling with his faith and very much open to connecting with someone who he can just talk to and go to movies with. So it works for both of them and the friendship clicks right away.

The relationship with Dyer in Exorcist III is a lot better obviously, because it feels like a longstanding established friendship(and the actors have great chemistry).

Having just watched The Exorcist again, they do elide a lot of random time between scenes, but I got the impression that days or even weeks at a time would go by between visits from Karras. Especially before he gets a chance to talk to the Cardinal to formally request an exorcism. So, it's possible that Kinderman and Karras had struck up a brief friendship in between all of that time and just never talked shop, as it were. (Also that Regan ended up strapped to that bed for like a solid month or two.)

But yeah, that friendship with Father Dyer feels a lot more believable in part 3. Both because the characters feel like they have years of backstory now and because George C. Scott is an incredible actor.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I watched the first and third one for the first time recently (I know it's blasphemy probably but I prefer the third). I guess i might as well see Believer. It can't be as bad as the second one is supposed to be.
Though some people swear the second one is actually fun in a stupid/surreal/weird way at times and gives off Fulci vibes...any truth to that?

Nothing wrong with preferring Exorcist III to Exorcist I - it's got better actors* given a chance to just devour monologues, some really creepy atmosphere at times, and is overall a much more enjoyable experience than the original. (Not that there's anything wrong with the original, it's still great, but it's very intense and downbeat, and sometimes you just don't want a movie to make you miserable, you know?)

*Not a slight on the actors in the first at all, especially Ellen Burstyn and Max von Sydow, but I mean, you have George C. Scott and Brad Dourif both making a meal of the written word here; that's gonna paper over a lot of issues you'd otherwise have with "second sequel to one of the biggest hits and most influential films of all time."

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

Oh no I missed that the first Chucky ep this season came out last week. I need to catch up so I can try to watch the new one tonight live B)

It's a pretty good episode, too - mostly ignores all of the dangling threads from the end of last season, so it's almost like a total reset in a way. Still curious how they're gonna resolve all of those elements, or establish how Chucky got into the White House in the first place.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Coming soon, The Utica Chainsaw Massacre.

Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany killing spree.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Gavok posted:

Yes, and you call the movie Trolls 2 despite the fact that they are obviously goblins.

Y--you know... One thing that I sh...

Excuse me for one second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

WHY BONER NOW posted:

When Freddy gets pulled into the real world...how does he get back to the dream world? Hold someone's hand as they go to sleep?

He dies and comes back as a dream demon again.