Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Origami Dali posted:

Oh, and Skinamarink is great.

Origami Dali posted:

Found footage sucks

:thunk:

e:
69th post in the thread:

:nice:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

Speaking of specific places for horror, I made a list of movies where very bad things happen on commercial airlines, since I personally really hate flying. Die Hard 2's crash scene is particularly upsetting for what is otherwise a goofy action trifle.

I don't think they thought that part through very well. Driving off as the credits roll over Christmas music was fine in the first movie because they saved all the hostages. But in the 2nd one they do the same thing only there's 200 bodies still smoking on the runway 100 yards away. Hits a bit different IMO.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I still stan his first Halloween, thought it was a great reboot. Then his H2 tripped over every mistake the first one avoided :shrug:

But come on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEBQWhgGM1g

Hah, just noticed he uses the same 'start with the camera on the mirror' trick in both.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

Any recommendations for recent (last 3 months or so) horror movies added to Shudder, Netflix or Paramount+?

I haven't got to see it yet, but late in the last thread people were talking up Netflix's Tin & Tina.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not so scary any more are you?? :drac:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I usually bounce off of found footage but Noroi was really loving good and felt like a episode of X Files as things slowly unfolded . Really loving good.

With all the news and interview clips I'd upgrade Noroi from Found Footage to Mockumentary, and yeah it was good poo poo.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Black Mirror has like a 10% hit rate for me but the episode from a few years ago with the robot dogs was sick, very good robo horror

Playtest is probably the most explicitly horror episode they've done, but Metalhead is a better ep. Black Museum is fairly spooky throughout.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

That makes me wonder, is there a limit to how many gang tags someone could have aside from being obnoxiously long?

I think at a certain point they start scrolling them horizontally, which sucks because it's too fast to get a good look at any of them :(

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flying Zamboni posted:

Gabriel is an unlockable character but he's tricky because all his controls are reversed.

Hollismason posted:

Who's the guy to the left of Nosferatu?

I can name most of these but some I didn't get.

Is the very top left the clown doll from Poltergeist?
e:
Twitterpost confirms it is, slightly proud of myself for getting that :peanut:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Only The Ring remake but including

makes :japan:

But also check out He Never Died. A stretch to call it a horror movie, more supernatural drama with some light goop. I've never thought much of Henry Rollins as an actor but this role is perfect for his more wooden emotionless style.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^
Woah cool, I didn't know there was a kind-of sequel. Checkin' that out sometime :hfive:

Lazy_Liberal posted:

i'll vouch for he never died. i don't know if it's very good but it sticks with me more than a bunch of other movies. it's a good and violent and not so serious time.

:yeah:
There's probably a better way to phrase this, but it's one of the more "realistic" depictions of what endless life would actually do to a person. Sure it would be all fun an games at first, but after watching your 10th wife grow old and die before your eyes at what point would you just stop making human connections or valuing others at all?

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 11, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shin Godzilla prequel? Extremely here for it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

I'll be honest I'm disappointed that its not a sequel to Shin Godzilla.

Leaving us on that tail cliffhanger was dirty, but also peak Anno so :shrug:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

My parents couldn't find a babysitter so they took me with when they saw The Exorcist at the show. Still wasn't enough for me to invoke the family rule of if I wanted to leave for whatever reason, I just had to say so and we'd leave. Only invoked it on a Bambi theatrical rerelease.

I remember watching Disney's Snow White in theaters when I was real little, maybe 5 or 6. The part at the end where the stepmother is all witched up and running around in a lightning storm scared me bad enough to start crying. My dad picked me up and carried me to the back of the theater but didn't actually leave because like gently caress he's gonna miss the end like that :lol:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flying Zamboni posted:

Every movie with a mystery in it should have the equivalent of The Werewolf Break:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipkfNqjncRA

Bring back fake audience participation IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJjK9njAwu0

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Missing some of these :(

IT, ?, Shawshank, Dead Zone, Pet Sematary
?(The Mist??), Stand By Me, Carrie, Green Mile, Salem's Lot
Creepshow, ?(Flagg from The Stand?) Cujo, Thinner, Shining
Cell(?), Misery, Cristine, Firestarter, Silver Bullet

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
:colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-PZ4Qy5F0Q

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

Oh and the normal warning when Descent talk starts up: do not, under any circumstances, watch Descent 2

It's not as good as the first one by any stretch, but if you DID like the first one it's not ~terrible~ IMO. Certainly watchable by dumb horror movie standards.

VROOM VROOM posted:

it is very funny that The Descent 2 is only compatible with the bad version of the first one's ending and is therefore not canon

Guess I need to look this up, I've only ever seen the US cut. But even then they don't line up very well; the first one ends with her sitting in their jeep and the 2nd one opens with her stumbling through the woods with temporary amnesia :rolleyes:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm 99% sure my love for the original made me see Descent 2 at some point but I can't remember a second of it

The only truly egregious bullshit in D2 is that in the 15 minutes since the first movie ends the Last Girl 1) ditches her working vehicle in favor of stumbling through the mountains and 2) spontaneously develops PTSD-induced short-term amnesia. Beyond that it's just more Descent, but not as good because now we're all familiar with the premise and they don't really do anything further with it. Still kind of worth it for the guano latrine scene if nothing else.

alf_pogs posted:

but could she escape the cave inside herself

What is a person except a flesh cave?

e:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 25, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crescent Wrench posted:

The Thing--take your pick--the defibrillator or the blood test

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Bone tomahawk was good. Idk if it works now but I really loved the slow burn, good actors and the amazing gore scene in the last act.

It’s a fun little exploitation western horror noir? thing.

But eff the rest of his out put.

I know the director is problematic at best, but I like Dragged Across Concrete too It's more thriller/crime noir than horror (though there is at least one scene that would definitely qualify). Dirty cops find out about a bank heist going down and plan to rob the robbers. Things go... poorly.

The last act of Brawl in Cell Block 99 is also pretty much horror. Man I've seen more Zahler than I thought :ohdear:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

honestly i think splitting up the two parts like they did could've worked fine, it's just that part two completely sucked rear end as a film

Basebf555 posted:

You do need some sort of time or generational element for It to work though, that's a huge part of what makes it compelling and scary. This thing has literally been there since before Derry existed, and seeing kids have to come back as adults to fight It a second time is too important to the story to toss out.

At a minimum they needed to mix the 2 time periods together, which IIRC is a lot closer to how the book is laid out.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Like Chapter 1 definitely had some issues (chiefly Bev being turned into a kidnapping victim at the end to unite the boys to help her) but it's still a very fun horror movie worth watching. I dunno when I'll revisit Chapter 2, if ever.

Knowing what they're cutting around in how the group bonds in the book, I feel this is an area where allowances can be made.

Medullah posted:

Hell go all in and wait 32 years and film the sequel

Hey it worked for Twin Peaks 3 :getin:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Just starting this, opening on a The Jaunt reference is :discourse:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone want to recommend some Twilight Zone or Outer Limits episodes that probably won't be on any Top 10 lists?

At some point in the past (I'm sure it was this thread) I got recommended Outer Limits s02e05 Demon with a Glass Hand. And yeah it's pretty good, weird sci-fi in an abandoned... mall? Office building? I can't tell.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

starred all of them AND prominently featured the Marilyn Manson cover of Sweet Dreams!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

Primal Rage was a dope rear end fighting game where you played as dinosaurs and giant apes and poo poo. It owned.

Hell yeah, walking to CiCi's Pizza after school with a pocket full of quarters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqClOEYHBkY

Sweaty movie comedy option: Body Melt

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I would like to see a horror-themed TV show where they feed "paranormal investigators" into one of those big grinders they use to dispose of diseased livestock.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Then it cuts to Tom Waits rhythmically hitting a cowboy boot with a dead raccoon while crooning “MEAT your maker…”

Roll credits.

Seriously, Shudder or somebody, call me. This idea has legs, and those legs have spooky claws on them.

Y'all trying to get sued by Dan Aykroyd?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEZEgd8GjJc

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
RLM did a video about it, listening to the history it's a miracle/mistake that it got made at all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz_NLJXcMiE

e:
Actually I think this is what I watched? Why are there multiple post mortem video essays about this thing??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TFfL1aUDaQ

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 2, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

I don't remember that in the least, but I think I slept through most of 5.

His adopted daughter got traffic'd so he had to drive down to Mexico and rescue her, but she dies of embarrassment on the way back to her home planet.

5 was all setup and finding an excuse to get an army of bad guys to assault Rambo's base so he could go all, well, Rambo on them. Not really worth it and doesn't add anything to the character IMO. If you can appreciate the gorey schlock of 4 you're pretty safe stopping there.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Surprised how close the bodycount is between 3 and 4. Shows how much the latter benefits from advances in Goop Technology.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Cinema Discusso › The Horror Thread : People love stabbing.

Russian Guyovitch posted:

Everyone says this right up until it's them getting stabbed. Then suddenly I'm the bad guy. Excuse me for just giving the people what they want.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
[

FreudianSlippers posted:

Sae this dude at Costco

That's just Geoff in college:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quDQ38dx21o

Also RLM maybe gearing up for the season, just dropped a re:View of Little Shop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPub1mjfPHk

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s nice to see Geoff Peterson is still getting work.

:hmmyes:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Count Thrashula posted:

Next weekend I'm going to the drive in to watch a double feature of Critters and Killer Klowns, with the Chiodos brothers in attendance.

Can't fuckin wait

2 childhood staples right there, just the right mix of scary but still goofy enough for kids. If it was a triple bill with Creepshow I'd drive to any of the lower 48 to attend.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got behind in the thread so apologies if this has already come up, but I just noticed that there's an actual Friday the 13th this October and can only :pray: that there's a challenge designed around it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Me but dreading it.

View the entire franchise on that day for double points :getin:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yup, the objective correct answer here is Jason and the Argonauts.

:colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flD5ZTC3juk

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

My favorite samurai films

Hara-Kiri (1962)
Sword of Doom (1966)
Lady Snowblood (1973)*
13 Assassins (2010)
Onibaba (1964)**
Any of the Kurosawa ones honestly they're all fantastic (a bunch of different years)

*Don't remember if this contains any actual samurai but it's great.

**also a horror film

Yojimbo has some pretty impressive gore for the time period, fully severed limbs and whatnot. Also probably everybody knows, it was wholly ripped off by Leone to make Fistful of Dollars, in may places shot-for-shot.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gey muckle mowser posted:

this was included with that Severin doc "Tales of the Uncanny" and it's a pretty neat movie. I don't think I'd buy it again but if you haven't seen it and you're interested in pre-code horror it's definitely worth checking out.

Pre-code is a real weird time, especially for horror. You couldn't put anything too explicit on screen to avoid offending everyone's delicate sensibilities, but at the same time there were technically no rules so you could also be brutal as gently caress. In Terror Aboard (1933) the killer just shoves a fully awake woman into a freezer then comes back later when she's frozen to death.

Also, the meme thread is getting pretty spooky...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

My 11 year old just referenced "Jason vs Freddy the Kruger", I guess I'm putting him up for adoption

His middle name is just 'die', but apparently your kid already speaks German? Suspicious :raise:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

Should be fine, nobody who speaks German could be an evil kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer