Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Origami Dali posted:

What kind of charmed life you living when that's one of the worst movies you've ever seen

Horror is subjective going both ways. Obviously there's lovely horror movies out there like Leprechaun in Space or Jason Takes Manhattan. Everyone has their own personal shittiest horror movie even if the movie itself isn't poorly rated.

Like I think Hereditary is a boring piece of trash that tries to pull on grief heartstrings with one jump scare, no ambience, an illogical plot (who eats a walnut cake at a high school party), and terrible dummy work that is worse than 1980's VHS backyard flicks. I'd rather watch Critters 3 a bunch of times than another Ari Aster film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Can we skip the preamble where Hereditary fanboys ask you what your favorite film is, assume its a slasher, and then also say you didn't understand the film

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Grendels Dad posted:

Makes me want to hear what your favorite horror movie is. Just for context.

No particular order just my top 50

01. The Thing
02. The Evil Dead Series
03. The VVitch
04. Resolution
05. The Endless
06. Last Shift
07. Event Horizon
08. Cabin in the Woods
09. The Color Out Of Space
10. In The Mouth of Madness
11. Drag Me To Hell
12. The Fly
13. REC
14. The Mist
15. The Shining
16. The Black Coats Daughter
17. 1408
18. Suspiria
19. Annihilation
20. Host
21. Hell House LLC
22. I Am Not A Serial Killer
23. The Void
24. The Grudge
25. Saint Maud
26. The Final Girls
27. Nightmare Cinema
28. Rent-A-Pal
29. Trick or Treat
30. The Ring
31. Alien
32. Slither
33. Prince of Darkness
34. Cube
35. Under the Skin
36. Silent Hill
37. House of the Devil
38. Censor
39. His House
40. The Others
41. Hellraiser
42. The Power
43. Dagon
44. 28 Days Later
45. The Autopsy of Jane Doe
46. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
47. From Beyond
48. Reanimator
49. Incident in a Ghostland
50. Dude Bro Party Massacre III

Suck rear end films:
01. The Darkness
02. Hereditary
03. Midsommar
04. We Go On
05. The Conspiracy
06. Absentia
07. The Vigil
08. Vivarium
09. The Innkeepers
10. The Babadook

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ruddiger posted:

Which The Darkness? There’s like four of them.

Kevin Bacon's

Snooze Cruise posted:

wow, no the haunting on that list, lesbophobic

I liked the part where the lion took off Owen Wilson's head

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Grendels Dad posted:

lmao

"I didn't put any effort into this, just 50 movies I like off the top of my head."

It's fine, you can dislike Hereditary.

I mean thats exactly the point of my post? Liking or disliking horror is subjective.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I apologize for insinuating Jason Takes Manhattan is a terrible film I was trying to think of films people criticize

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

FreudianSlippers posted:

The walnuts were planned by the coven

They also planned for the kid to stick her entire body out of a car while passing a light pole that the brother swerved towards to avoid road kill which was all masterfully planned by the coven faaaart

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Xiahou Dun posted:

What’s your beef with The Babadook?

It doesn't really deserve to be on the bottom tier list since all my complaints about it basically boil down to me not being the target audience

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Xiahou Dun posted:

Sure, and I don’t like slashers, but if I called Halloween some hot trash I’d rightly get roasted over a fire.

So I think you can acknowledge it is in fact not “all subjective”. There’s an aspect of personal preference and an aspect of relatively objective craft, and we can discuss them both.

You might not like what Ari Aster does (I’m not a super fan myself), but considering his weird-rear end goals he accomplishes them very well. Similar to how someone can do an objectively good job making a food you happen to not like.

Again the original comment was replying to someone that thought Saw X was the worst horror movie ever and got scoffed at. I consider Ari Aster hot trash. I think he's a total hack. I don't think its objectively good, and I don't think he accomplishes anything very well. I think he's a product of marketing and I heavily dislike his film to the point where I consider it one of the worst of all time.

If you don't, that's fine, and that's what makes it subjective. I'm not going to just be like yea you're right you say its good so my opinion changes in the same way I don't expect you to agree with me that it sucks.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Halloween was also a recut babysitter slasher movie that was pretty okay by 80's standards but not infallible

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

gey muckle mowser posted:

I don’t understand any of this conversation, because all horror movies are good

I dunno the Bye Bye Man kind of didn't need to be created

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
https://www.syfy.com/syfy-wire/hall...of%20Halloween.

It was supposed to be an anthology. Studios beat it to death and personified the Shape instead of just letting it be a mystery.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

alf_pogs posted:

every so often some rube blunders in with a POPULAR MOVIE SO BAD take not realising all the posters here actively consume trash and love it

That's every horror community on the internet. I was blundering in to talk about The Fall of the House of Usher and saw someone gatekeeping terrible horror movies.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

remigious posted:

I just finished The Fall of the House of Usher and yeah, it was corny as gently caress but I appreciated how it swung for the fences and didn’t hold back. It was goopy, funny, and genuinely creepy. It wasn’t perfect, but probably my favorite Flanagan. Plus I just love Carla Gugino and she ate this role up.

The corniness was great and made the whole show. Flanagan came in wanting to shoot bullets at opiod companies and hit every single trope along the way so why not do that with horror too? This also came after Succession so everything seems done before.

The acting was killer across the board. Great cinematography. Carla Gugino deserves some sort of award she was amazing.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Skrillmub posted:

One of the potential scripts was a realistic Jason on trial for his crimes. Over the course of courtroom drama they discover that Freddy was his step-father or something and abused him and also somehow became a demon in his head that made him kill people.
It was awful. It poo poo all over both franchises.

The entire series tone shifted from the second one when even the actors were like wait isn't Jason dead so this would have not only been welcomed but incredible

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Deadite posted:

Can someone recommend me a good movie for this bonus challenge?

- A film by an LGBTQ+ director, or a film that deals with LGBTQ+ themes

I could go the easy route and watch Hellraiser for the 100th time but I want to see something new. I'm in the US and I have Shudder/AMC+, Max, Netflix, Amazon Prime and the free ones like Tubi and Pluto.

It's pretty meh but the guy who made Penny Dreadful did a movie last year called They/Them that's a slasher at a gay conversion camp

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm not reaaaaally sure Frankenhooker's ending gag makes it a lgbt movie

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

but it doesn't not make it a queer movie! :science:

It does make me realize how under represented lgbtq is in horror somehow. It was hard to think of some movies there outside of Chucky and The Haunting.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It isn't underrepresented at all if you understand queerness as allegory and history instead of solely looking for explicit representation.

I dunno I find it really hard to find queerness as an allegory in some of the films on your list but how you interpret them is part of what makes horror so great, especially knowing the background of some directors. I really don't see anything in Re-Animator or From Beyond or Frankenhooker or some of the other things listed but I didn't grow up queer so who knows.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I just judge by the digital camera shot at shoulder level for Netflix but that movie is going to be terribly great

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Deadite posted:

I wish there was a recording of that Jeffery Combs one man show where he played Edgar Allen Poe, it always sounded interesting to me

There’s probably a copy out there somewhere

There's clips and it's awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUHYscI2c3Q

It's called Nevermore and he's so good even though I dont know how Edgar Allen Poe is supposed to be played

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
fixin to watch Knife+Heart

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Shrecknet posted:

EAP was from Baltimore so I imagine its like if Stavros Halkias decided to go into horror instead of comedy

EAP laughing while writing the rats are in the walls and they come out at night to gently caress his dad

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Knife+Heart was certainly something.

checkplease posted:

Talk to Me was solid and reminded me a lot of The Ring with a bit more madness thrown in. I think I liked the clearer rules of the Ring more, but creepy ghosts always get to me.

Also the main should clearly have been posting on movie forums and then she wouldn’t be so lonely.

It was a really solid film. Loved the design of the dead people. The kids all acted well and did the idiot teenagers loving around with forces beyond their comprehension well.

I wish there was a bit more dynamic with the gaslighting and unsure nature of the mothers death and if it was actually murder. It kind of got backseated in the last act.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

computer angel posted:

I liked The Endless, but how long has camp Arcadia been looping to be aware they're looping even at the beginning of a new loop? Chris and Michael from the previous film Resolution claim to be looping for a year, but when their loop resets Michael approaches Chris as if he has no idea he's started a new loop.

Loop.

The way I interpreted it was you fake the amnesia so the entity doesn't loop you again which is why they do that in Resolution for most of the film. I dunno, I didn't overanalyze it too much I just liked it.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I do love a microfiche in the library scene though.

Microfiche is so much less annoying in movies than real life.

Somebody doesn't try to spin the microfiche wheel perfectly to land on the newspaper page and thus didn't have fun

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MacheteZombie posted:

Dashcam was very lol

Can I change my answer for worst horror movie

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I think there's an argument to be made about the "worst" horror movie one's ever seen not necessarily being the technical worst (in which case it would like be one of the non-Demons Of Ludlow Bill Rebane movies for me) but the one that has the biggest gulf between critical acclaim, perceived quality, and personal enjoyment, to say nothing of reprehensible or disappointing messages or themes, etc. Or of course, ones that are Just Plain Dull. By that logic I think there are plenty of technically great or even critically-acclaimed horror movies that one can consider their worst. I know my two least favorite horror movies were beloved at the time of their release.

But of course, all horror movies are good.

This criteria is pretty much why I have Midsommar and Hereditary at the bottom of my list. I just can't picture anyone watching those films without staring at their cellphones and then I see critical acclaim for them everywhere. I also find it reprehensible to prey on grief in order to elicit an emotional reaction from the audience. I find the cinematography to be hamfisted like when he flipped the camera upside down on the journey to the cult compound to signify Florence Pugh's character life turning upside down (which is high school film maker poo poo). People still like the films but since horror is subjective there's nothing wrong with them liking the films or me disliking them.

Shrecknet posted:

The shakycam in AASB literally made me sick and I couldn't listen to the shrieking child in Babadook. They aren't necessarily bad due to content, but physiological reactions (derogatory).

Shaky cam was whatever I think it lended well to the limited budget they had. You could tell most of the underground area was shot without a ton of props or set work. They had to keep things dark and blurry since they were working with like 5 mil.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I aspire to be the bad guy from Train to Busan and betray everyone like 6-7 times

Grave Encounters was kind of a disappointment because they just did warp face for the creep outs. They had the ambience to do the Hellhouse LLC subtle scares while being eldritchtly stuck in a building but took the cowards way towards scares.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Hollismason posted:

The Poughkeepsie Tapes is a really hosed up film but I wax and wane on whether to recommend it.

The movie's topic is unsavory and I don't think it was done that tastefully. Ignoring that it's kind of boring because there's no real mystery or tension in the plot. It's just voyeuristic.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dragonshirt posted:

All of these bad movies, but I guess none of y'all seen THINGS?

Things and other home projects from the VHS era count less as a movie than Megan is Missing

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Simeon Rice is a director??

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'll only fund a movie if its called Director's Cut like every other home horror project

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think Beyond the Black Rainbow is the only horror film I've ever turned off

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

how did people here like The Outwaters? watched it alone very late last night with all the lights off which kind of felt like the ideal setting. kinda mixed on it but when it was good it was very good and while it never really scared me per se it did give me some hosed up dreams i can't quite remember.

There are some arthouse films like Skinamarink, Outwaters, Beyond the Black Rainbow, Heck, etc that you can definitely appreciate the cinematography the director tried to get across that really needed something more compelling to use all of it. I really like Mandy but couldn't really get into Outwaters just because Mandy felt like it had direction. Kind of like Eraserhead and Cabinet of Dr. Caligari versus Outwaters (unfair). They at least had something they were driving towards.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
What are some horror movies that look bad or have a stupid title that are actually awesome like Hell House LLC or Last Shift

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
What we're learning here is the Bye Bye man is the quintessential essence of a horror film

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think a lot of us watched American Werewolf when we were kids and that was the most realistic werewolf ever back then but now yea its not that convincing outside of close ups

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Underwater was appropriately rated. It was too ponderous and dark which I think pushed off a lot of people. Awesome take on Cthulhu and the acting was solid.

No One Will Save You is awesome and 10 times better than the no dialogue movie Nick Cage did. It's catharsis, but in movie form!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It being a week since I finished Haunting of Bly Manor, I think there were too many ghosts. The dead fiancé was a big deal for two episodes and then disappeared. Peter was a big deal right up until the last two episodes where he showed up for literally five seconds and then disappeared. And I still don't understand why the gardener would tell the entire story to the children when they all agreed it would be better for them to forget.

I feel like Flanagan has always been substance over story so you're supposed to shut your brain off and just go yea this is supposed to be emotional devices when it comes to most of the ghosts in Bly Manor and Hill House. Same with this past one in Fall of the House of Usher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Professor Funk posted:

I’m currently (finally) watching Hell House LLC for the first time. I’m like 50 minutes in. This movie rocks! One of the better found footage flicks I can remember.

It's awesome and the other two aren't shabby either. I just got done rewatching the third one and it's funny that everyone keeps going to the house that kills everyone