Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Third thread; if it's looks like I'm just shoving my posts into the camera for no reason, you're supposed to wear the glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I wish Sidney Lunet had tried his hand at real horror just once; I think the closest he got was Equus (Or maybe The Wiz?), but he was so gifted at conveying information without dialogue and ratcheting up tension that I think it could have been something special. Somewhere between Polanski and Ari Aster maybe, just going off vibes.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

New short film! Hopefully you dig it. It’s a bit ambitious in places but idk. It was fun to make and it cost 200 bucks.

Soon it’ll be feature timehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BShLFrbXd8… 😈😈😈

Nice job man! Good environmental story-telling, and impressive practical effects (especially for $200).

One clarification - what I took away was protagonist has trauma/anxiety about a previous car accident and the alien is using its telepathy to set that memory as their battleground, right? Because of the way the flashbacks are used at 3:08 and 3:49, while we're catching up with events, I thought at first he'd hit the alien with his car, and was lying about how it happened, but I got there.

And one little note - the pacing/tension between 13:00 and 13:27 feels a little off. It's hard to put my finger on; I follow the events just fine but there's not much sense of urgency or confrontation? It might be a sound design thing - you could try adding an ADR line from the man in the van, or some zappy sounds from him charging his weapon, or even just some distortion to show main character's disorientation but that quick segment feels a little flat right now.

On the whole though, good job! How many hours of shooting would you say went into it?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I'm open to all sorts of stuff but if we choose to include a 'watch a movie from a country you've never seen a horror movie from', please give an alternate to that one because my rear end was scraping the absolute bottom of the barrel trying to find a movie from a country I hadn't seen last October. I watch a lot of foreign movies, please be gentle to me, I'm getting into some really unwatchable stuff.

Same - enough so that I specifically haven't watched Saloum yet because I've been banking it for that category this year.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

shoeberto posted:

Ellen Burstyn is apparently 90 years old, jesus christ.

Trailer looks fine but I feel like it's gonna be hard to make demonic possession feel fresh. The idea of twin possessions in sync just kinda feels like that one episode of Evangelion.

Jesus, when people said he was bringing back the female lead I assumed they were just talking about Linda Blair.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

What’s giving me pause is the complete failure the short alienated was. It failed every festival it went too both in getting in and reception…but I’ve also shown it to other people who dug it and such. And that’s cool. But a lot of people I showed it too responded with a “oh neat” and moved on lol. Which is just the worst reception something could get in my opinion. Didn’t like it or hate it. Just meh.

And a lot of amazing stuff came out of that short, and I am proud of it despite of all that.

But it still hurts because so much of that thing meant a lot to me. And I just don’t want to gently caress it up again lol

When I'm choosing between two writing projects, I spend some time thinking both of them through, beat by beat. Usually, I find myself thinking of one of them in just those terms: beats - this happens, then this, wouldn't it be cool if, etc. The other, I'll instinctively start to convert into prose, and that's the one I actually want to write.

So in your case I'd ask: do you think of one of the projects in terms of ideas, and one in terms of shots? If one of them seems like a 'better idea' but you can see the other one in your head, the second one is where the passion is, and when you're not being paid upfront, god knows the passion is what pulls you to the end.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

MrMojok posted:

People have already named all my favorite jump scares, but a more recent one I’d add is that scene in The Night House.

I hadn’t heard about it and I happened to be watching the film with the volume way up, because I’d been having trouble understanding some of the dialogue earlier.

In general, The Night House is the most tense I've been during a movie in a long while, and I chalk it up to the sound design. Every little creak and click in that movie is tuned just right to echo that feeling of lying in bed and asking 'wait what is that? Is someone moving around downstairs?'

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

whenever someone making a relatively mainstream piece of media decides "gently caress it, put Crispin in" the results are always great and unpredictable fun. he was making some CHOICES in that Pickman's Model episode of Cabinet of Curiosities

When did the post-modern obsession with Nick Cage kick in? Was it as early as the Wicker Man remake or later on in the 2010s, when youtube compilations of his weirdest choices started circulating? Basically, how do we astroturf a Crispin Glover renaissance?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yes, yes, yes, perfect. Thank you!

I'll second 'The Shout' - I watched it for the horror challenge this year and had a ton to say about it, way more than made sense to cram into a little recap.

Also watched 'The Baby' and 'God Told Me To' this year, and loved both of those. I'd recommend 'Fascination' if you haven't seen it, and if you're feeling patient enough to get real weird with some slow-ish sci-fi horror, 'Phase IV'.

https://letterboxd.com/film/god-told-me-to/
https://letterboxd.com/film/the-baby/
https://letterboxd.com/film/fascination-1979/
https://letterboxd.com/film/phase-iv/

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

davidspackage posted:

Slimy, suspicious socks from under the bed

Socks unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Murder Party has one of the best constructed gags I've ever seen in a movie, where he looks around the closet at all the potentially lethal stuff he could Macgyver together into a weapon, then it cuts to him busting out of the closet and just sort of chucking it lazily towards the murderers while he stumbles away. I think of that scene all the time.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Nope was a brilliant retelling of the Monkey's Paw. Did everyone pick up on when each character made their wish and what it was?

I would love to hear this reading.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

2018, about the extra person at the air bnb party. I was riveted, it was super fun tracking who all was where.

I haven't seen it since 2018, but I remember the setup being really good, a couple great scenes, and then it sort of just petering out.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Has anyone ever watched Lars von Trier's Kingdom? A friend of mine has been bugging me to try it, comparing it to Twin Peaks, swearing that I'll love it, and while I do really like his films, I'm a little leery of three whole seasons of von Trier.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's very Danish.

Whether that's a bad or good thing is your choice.

Opopanax posted:

Stephen King had a remake called Kingdom Hospital which is a bit of a mixed bag but pretty good, if you find it too Danish

Well I'm mostly Danish on my mother's side, so maybe I owe it to my proud ancestors?

Ok yeah this feels very much like my poo poo. Sorry to doubt you, Lars.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

It's impressive how few of the lyrics have to change.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

It's kind of hilarious reading reviews of Mother! because so many of them miss the very on-the-nose allegory and instead assume the god figure is supposed to be a stand in for Aronofsky himself.

Also, from the wikipedia:

quote:

After 2014's Noah, Aronofsky began working on a children's film. During that process, he came up with a new idea. He ended up writing the screenplay for Mother! in five days, much faster than his usual pace
Lol, you tried, Darren.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Does Maryland get Candyman or Blair Witch?

Candyman is set in Chicago.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

My pitch for a blob remake would be to take advantage of how non-horror people don't really know the 84 version. Cast a bunch of likable comedians, like Bill Hader, Charlie Day etc., make it seem like you're doing a goofy send-up of the original 50s movie, then kill them all as graphically and horribly as possible.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Oh weird, this is still listed as 'Dracula's Daughter' on letterboxd. I guess they changed the name to hide the Act 2 twist that that trailer obviously gives away?

Also, am I the only one genuinely stoked to see Kevin Durand back in a movie? I always enjoy him.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I've liked, but not loved, all of Perkins' films to date. I'm hoping this is the one to break through for me.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I didn't like Skinamarink but ironically my brain is busted in a very specific way where I had to finish it anyway or I'd feel guilty all week.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I never watched the second one, possibly never will, but I AM more interested in this. If we actually stay with the initial event for most of the movie, I'm definitely down to watch the monsters rack up a kill count.

I forget; the shrug-off explanation for how the Pentagon managed to lose to these things was 'immune to bullets' right?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

If it's anything like the scene in A Quiet Place 2, you'll see the monsters rush at people and snatch them up but you'll never actually see kills or gore of any kind. Very frustrating(for the audience) way to handle a creature feature imo.

gently caress, you're probably right.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I like X and Pearl, but my favorite Ti West movie is when he gets skulled by an arrow in You're Next.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

As a dude who loves both musical theater and industrial music, I SHOULD love Repo! but it's so, so bad. All the songs suck, it's shot pretty badly, and it just sort of limps from scene to scene. Worst of all, poor Anthony Stewart Head is really going all out with a genuinely great performance. Everyone else looks like they're just trying to get their scenes over with so they can get back to trying to feel each other up in the green room.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

See also 'Harry Brown', aka chav Death Wish, in which Sean Harris plays a drug dealer who might as well be a literal demon.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I really didn't like the first Strangers. It was established so early on that the strangers had planed for everything and could get in the house whenever they want and there's absolutely nothing the victims could do to fight back. So the bulk of the movie is just waiting for the strangers to finally decide to kill them for whatever reason.

The sequel was like a direct response to my problem with the first one. The victims can actually fight back and it's an exciting back and forth between the strangers and the chose victims, I liked the sequel a lot.

These were my feelings as well. I almost fell asleep during the first one, and it never really got any hooks in me. I even love Glen Howerton and that didn't save it. The second one I at least felt like I cared about the family and had some skin in the game.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Dead Meat's doing their 2024 Horror Awards right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q5qkLksACE
Whether you're a fan of the channel or not, it's nice to see the year's horror movies get their due, and they've got a pretty impressive range of people involved.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I liked James a lot more before he made Zoran his head writer. The guy is simply not funny.

Yeah I also couldn't watch any of the Zoran-hosted episodes. Overall I definitely enjoy James himself more than I do Dead Meat. The best part of what he does is his genuine enthusiasm for horror and the behind the scenes stuff he puts together. That's why I enjoyed the awards broadcast; it's not a 'comedy' product at all. It had a lot of production footage for the various nominees and some cool presenters (like Bill Mosely and Ernest Dickerson).

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Yeah thats what I thought too. She's either seen everything "mainstream" like HT or Martyrs, and shes already worked through everything in my collection so I think this is a case of "she likes a niche and has just exhausted it"

ty for all the help anyway everyone!

If you're really hard up you could always veer into some extreme action stuff like Timo Tjahjanto. It's nowhere near most of the stuff you listed, but The Night Comes For Us is still bloodier and more brutal than like 90% of horror movies.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I like Final Destination series more than Saw series. Both 2000s horror series but I just like FD more.

Cosigned. They're both franchises that, at their low points, become little more than showcases for elaborate kills, but FD doesn't need to half-heartedly tie those to some Machiavellian human antagonist so even the weak installments are a lot less ponderous than Saw's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Gripweed posted:

She’s been traveling around the country, killing Ghostfaces.

Cold open: A Ghostface is making popcorn when the phone rings. They answer it, and we hear Neve Campbell ask them who the killer was in Scream 1. When they forget Stu Macher was also a killer, the patio lights go up and we see a tied-up Ghostface in a letter jacket.