Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I predict: game good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

My first playthrough I tried to clear the island first before getting a diamond mine. My merc contracts brought me in to the road and I have $-100 so I can't even pay for a boat to the mainland to get a diamond mine. Is this run screwed? Ann way out or should I restart and get the diamond mine faster?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

FrancisFukyomama posted:

To whoever it was that was asking earlier, there’s no pod system but the enemies do seem to have an firaxcom style scamper if they’re aware when they see you. That being said cover doesn’t seem as binary or important as it was in xcom

That was probably me in the JA2 thread. It definitely doesn't have that XCOM2 gripe of mine with the fog of war, once you start shooting in this one, everyone in the sector is coming for you.

I've been enjoying the four hours I've played today, it seems like a good mix of XCOM2 UI/UX, but with a nicer tactical layer. My biggest issue is that I'm still just as terrible at the money management and non-shooting stuff as I was in JA2 😬

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I started a new game to try things out, and after taking Ernie at the start, Pierre's gang launched a counter assault shortly after.

I hadn't had that happen to me the first two tries, where I went even farther (through H3 and the bunker, and in one of the save games going to Fleatown).

Is the counterattack on Ernie a thing that's supposed to happen each time? Very confused why it happened this time (and very quickly) but not the other two times.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

It’s supposed to happen relatively quickly. That’s how you shave off the fourth shield on the fort.

Did you meet Bastien in the starting square? I didn't do that the first two times I played, but this time I did and the counterattack happened. I wonder if maybe that's the trigger or something?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Fighting Elegy posted:

am I only person who thinks this is a lot different than Xcom? Xcom felt like a modernization/reboot of X-com. This feels like a proper sequel to Jagged Alliance 2.

It's a lot different, but its also an easy way to describe the game to someone who isn't familiar with the series. They're the same genre of game, and JA3 visually seems like it takes a lot from the recent XCOMs.

The strategic layer is way different though, and the tactical layer is a lot better than XCOM for me (no pod activation). I would describe it (if I couldn't just say "JA2 but modern"), I would say a modern day XCOM with humour, no aliens, diverse weaponry, and better tactical gameplay.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Is there a general sense of what the "expected" game progress route is?

I took Ernie island, went north to the mine and took that, took Pantagruel and Fleatown, then had the Biff call event, saved him, and now I'm getting a call to meet at the Refugee Camp. I gather that the Refugee Camp call is a turning point and may ramp up the difficulty? I haven't even explored more than half the map, but my squad has been finding all the recent fights easy (even the Biff waves of attacks, so I'm not sure if the Camp event is expected to hit around this point? Or should I defer it and take my time doing other things?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

You know I was really skeptical of trying melee in this, since it leaves you so exposed and ready to get shot at, but Dr. Q has really changed my mind on that. I gave that lil guy a machete and he just tears through guys, then runs back to cover in the same turn.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

piratepilates posted:

Is there a general sense of what the "expected" game progress route is?

I took Ernie island, went north to the mine and took that, took Pantagruel and Fleatown, then had the Biff call event, saved him, and now I'm getting a call to meet at the Refugee Camp. I gather that the Refugee Camp call is a turning point and may ramp up the difficulty? I haven't even explored more than half the map, but my squad has been finding all the recent fights easy (even the Biff waves of attacks, so I'm not sure if the Camp event is expected to hit around this point? Or should I defer it and take my time doing other things?

So I did the Refugee Camp after the call, and I think you're intended to go there soon after you get the call and not need to hold off on it.

I had 2 mines or so, so I had built up enough income to be able to afford renewing my 6 merc squad (minus the free IMP) on 14 day contracts and then some (maybe $100k?), and had armour on everyone and decent weapons. After going to the camp, I was able to take back the squares the army took pretty easily, maybe even using auto-resolve on some of them. Now I'm back to going through unseen squares the same as I did before the camp, and my militia plus a squad of 2 mercs has been enough to auto-resolve on any of the attacks from the military.

On average, it doesn't seem any harder than before the camp, you get access to heavy weapons and explosives from military attacks, so your squad can still deal with more dangerous enemies. I'm still overflowing with decent weapons -- I have enough Dragonuv's on a sector stash to kit out an entire squad.

The refugee camp fight itself was a little tricky, although it only took me 2 or 3 tries. I don't think there's a big reason to put off doing the fight, it seems to be pretty balanced around you being able to handle it and the 2nd act when it gets triggered.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

dogstile posted:

How soon are you meant to do the camp? I got a bunch of quest failures from it.

I don't know if the community has found out the specific trigger, some say it's if you go far north you'll get the call from Biff then the call for the camp. I started out Ernie -> the mine in the north -> Pantagruel -> Fleatown -> Pantagruel before it triggered for me. I don't think it was too early nor too late when it triggered, the game has been at a normal difficulty before and after.

I didn't go to the camp before the call either, so I couldn't do any of those quests. I think that's fine in this game, it seems like you're expected to replay it a few times and do different quests each time. Some of the triggers in quests seem to be set up such that you have to know the right order of doing things to succeed in some of them (the Port Cacoa dump is one example, I failed it but I could see doing it in a different order would work well). From my gut feeling, I don't think there's a bad way of progressing through the game? It seems pretty well balanced for doing things in different orders, and to not expect a perfect run on your first time.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Gyshall posted:

How do I get good? My first two games have been false starts, my latest one I went bankrupt before getting to the mainland.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If you're running out of money before you get to the mainland I think your problem is either A) you're not being aggressive enough about taking territory (you should basically take the starting island as quickly as possible and then move on to capture a mine on the mainland), or B) you're hiring more mercs than you can afford to start off. You don't need to fill out a full squad to 6 people for the start of the game and going with 3 mercs + IMP should leave you with enough cash to rehire those mercs for a second round in case you can't get cashflow quickly enough. You also want to try to minimize your downtime doing operations on the starting island - if you need to patch up your squad after taking wounds that is a good idea but you definitely don't want to spend any time training mercs before you have positive income.

☝️ it's all this. Once you get off Ernie and take a mine, the pressure of money starts going away very fast. Running out of money is probably pointing to too much time used inefficiently at the start -- it's what I did in my first two runs and got past in my third run.

You should take all the squares of Ernie and explore them and all, but once you take the fort there, you can mostly ignore it. As a result, training too many militia there eats up time (doing it once is probably fine, you maybe not even need it at all). Treating wounds when you only have 1 or 2 wounds on people is also a sink in time. Training up mercs while you're on Ernie also eats up your time, and almost certainly isn't worth it. Repairing guns may be worth it before hitting the mainland, but only if your guns are an issue in combat.

Otherwise,
- try to salvage every set of parts you can find everywhere
- loot every single gun, and once you have too many, scrap the rest for parts
- make sure you modify your guns, the game doesn't tell you to do this (I don't think?) but its crucial
- open up the inventory, right click on a gun you want to mod, and choose "modify"
- the easiest merc for the beginning is Barry, he has a ton of skill in explosives, and an ability that gives you explosives that regenerate for free over time, use his free shaped charges to blow away enemies
- Livewire is also really strong
- make sure you create an I.M.P. merc for free if you haven't already
- use cover, use the "sneaking" ability (H on the keyboard to have a merc start sneaking) to set up ambushes before combat starts, and use it when you want to position mercs for a surprise flank
- rifles are really strong, SMGs aren't, assault rifles can be, but rifles are king

Past that, do Ernie, don't worry about training militia there before a mine, and focus on getting a mine after doing Ernie. A mine will take off the money pressure, two will completely relieve any money issues. From there it's just a snowball, you'll have the money to hire good mercs, time to train your mercs, come across better weapons, modify your weapons, etc.

edit: Also you may want to try out the mod to show the percentage chance of hitting: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2993428346 , it will probably make things easier, but I've been playing with it on because I like it. It's easier to tell where the threshold for a reasonable chance to hit is, and where you'd be wasting AP for no gain.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 31, 2023

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Has there been any more word on future patches? They seemed to drop that 1.03 patch really soon after release, then radio silence since then.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

My favourite little funny addition to this game, is the extra dialogue option of handing everyone you meet a copy of the marquis manifesto, and all of them being optimistically curious and pleased to receive it.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 26, 2023

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

After a hiatus during that 1.0.3 patch, I'm wrapping up the game now, looking to start a new play-through after that and knock out some of the stuff I didn't do the first time. Also getting impatient and looking forward to a 1.13 situation, more depth added in mods. Obviously not going to be a lot of that yet, since modding tools only now came out.

Seems to be one prominent "more guns" mod on the workshop that I may try out:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3023672178&searchtext=

And then this rebalance mod that seems like it has interesting gun balance ideas:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3021320057&searchtext=

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Is there a reliable source of C4 in the game? I'm trying to make explosives for my 40mm grenade launchers, but I ran out of C4. Doesn't seem to be craftable from whatever I have in my inventory, and I'm not sure if there's a vendor somewhere.

Maybe I just wait for a weapon shipment to hijack? Hope to get lucky there?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Panzeh posted:

If you solve the junk heap quest for the queen you'll get the option to have mercs search the junkyard and c4 is one of the potential results. I believe some enemies army troop types will also drop it.

Good news: I did the dump quest and even better, they all died and I failed horribly :)

Pooperscooper posted:

Is this or Xcom2 better? I have both but haven’t had the time to really dedicate to one.

Purely combat-wise: this is way better, XCOM2 has some annoying parts to its combat system that JA3 improves on dramatically. Past that, do you want to play rebel humans fighting against alien invasion? Or 80s action movie taking place in Africa in 2001?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Beat the game the other day, after taking a break after the MG balancing update, and spending a while finishing up most of the loose ends in the game. Fun game, got the good ending, going right back in to it with another run using mods.

There seems to be three big ones I'm keeping my eyes on:

- Tons of Guns: just adds more guns (tons of them): https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3023672178&searchtext=

- Rato's Gameplay Balance and Overhaul: which seems to massively overhaul the weapons gameplay to make it more realistic: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3021320057

- Timmeh's Weapon Overhaul: which seems to be a similar overhaul to Rato's, but might not go as in depth? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3017633184

I'm going with Timmeh's for this new playthrough, mostly because it has more subscriptions/favourites on steam than Rato's, and I've found a few people saying they love it. Not sure if I've felt the major changes in it overall -- aside from the addition of crossbows, which is awesome.

Seems like they both do a similar thing in common though: make guns noisier during stealth, requiring subsonic ammo to make them actually quiet, making shotguns stronger, making ARs stronger, and making MGs stronger. Rato's also seems to go harder on rifles, making them more specialized by making them strong at long ranges but weak at short range.