Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This movie will be the defining pop culture moment of our generation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Saw it this evening and had an absolute blast. Loved every minute of it with one exception but on the whole it was the best cinema experience I've had in a long long time.

For starters that is the most packed I've seen a cinema in years. Avengers Endgame is the only thing I can think of which felt similar. So many people were dressed up, even before the movie it was so fun seeing all the fashion and just vibing (and yes I dressed up too it was awesome). As for the movie itself it was so fun. All the jokes landed and it was great to see Mattel being willing to take the piss out of themself to an extent which is still less than they deserve but still way more than you'd think. Margot Robbie was phenomenal, Ryan Gosling was superb and the Ken brings the patriarchy to Barbieland plotline was a huge swerve from how I expected the movie to go. No the level of representation isn't perfect but honestly it's still a step above the vast majority of Hollywood blockbusters. The soundtrack slams, in particular the moment with the Billie Eilish song landed so hard and I legit cried. And America Ferrara's big moment got a huge round of whoops and applause (I'm British, we NEVER do that here). 12/10 would watch again and probably will watch again cause one of my friend's couldn't make it.

Anyway, the one exception: The Barbies dismantling the Kens by using their feminine wiles to play on their emotion was some pretty regressive bullshit instead of showing them how the patriarchy harms men too. Still loved the movie though. Maybe my favourite cinema experience ever???

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

LionArcher posted:

The speech about how it’s impossible to be a woman I’ve heard fifteen different times spoken more earnestly on social media over the last dozen years

Yes it's not a new message but there's still a difference between putting something in a meme that reaches a few thousand people on social media and putting it in a movie that's going to make a billion dollars which people will be watching for years

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah that's a very fair reading and vibes with my one real issue with the movie

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Crocobile posted:

Yeah. I went with a bunch of female coworkers and one (gen-x who loves cops, is against social programs and anti-union) complained about “all the political stuff” and another one (40-ish) literally said the movie was “an example of how modern feminism has gone too far.” This is a group that would generally identify as liberal, but haven’t read or engaged with actual feminist text.

Sounds like you need cooler friends tbh

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

deety posted:

Exactly. The Barbies were programmed to be independent girl-power dolls who value female friendships more than guys. They and the Kens are all just working with how they were designed.

I guess it's a tribute to Ryan Gosling's performance that so much of the discussion around an explicitly feminist blockbuster keeps circling back to "But What About the Kens?"

I mean every time women do anything it circles back to "but what about the men?"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Plus Size Barbie is a very recent addition to the toy line

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There was a rumour the old lady was played by Barbie Handler but it turned out to be false

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CapnAndy posted:

I mean, even if we hadn't moved past "oh you're a dude who likes feminine-coded stuff, you are gay then" as a society, literally all of his anguish is because he's in love with Barbie and she only likes him.

Ken's not in love with Barbie, he just thinks he is because she's the ideal of what men are supposed to like. His attraction to her is entirely around living up to the masculine ideal and his anguish is over his own self-worth due to the loss of status that comes with her constant rejection

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hollismason posted:

Yeah its pretty clear that Barbieland is Glorias Barbieland. There's even a scene where she verbatim repeats that "Oh I had a weird Barbie and played with her too hard" which implies that weird Barbie is Gloria's weird Barbie. It also explains why Barbie's that were marketed toward adults like Sugar Daddie Barbie is there.

Every girl has had a weird Barbie

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

dodgeblan posted:

lol at discussing the mechanics of the interaction between barbieland and the real world

I need realistic metaphysical explanations in my fluffy pink toy movie

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Gloria's speech isn't good cause it's fresh, it's good because it's in a mainstream $1 billion blockbuster

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hollismason posted:

Barbies the first blockbuster movie where patriarchy is specifically the main enemy

Captain Marvel as well but it's not quite so explicit

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Unless that's a "Black Panther is the first ever black superhero movie" joke, this is an absolutely blinkered view.

Fuckin' Titanic, man! Frozen! Jurassic Park, even!

Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens has a sexist villain. Like, this only makes sense if you're counting movies where a character turns to the camera and directly identifies the abstract concept of patriarchy as the villain.

Thank you for mansplaining feminism

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Barney movie had better be a deconstruction of industrialisaton's effect on indgineous wildlife :mad:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Oh my god can we talk less about putting Barbie in a tier list of important feminist films and more about how more modern films need choreographed dance sequences? That's what I think the takeaway should be from Barbie. Give me at least two solid dance scenes per movie or I'm walking out.

Oppenheimer would have been better if Cillian Murphy dropped into a lindyhop

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just saw it again cause my friend hadn't been yet. Played just as well the second time, what a movie

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BioEnchanted posted:

Similarly, Barbie and Ken aren't necessarily broken up

Can't be broken up because they were never a couple

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's officially passed $1 billion, hell yeah

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I want to frame this post

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah it's a joke about 'look she's got an interview for an important job lol nope', it's no biggie

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Asexuality is queer :eng101:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

All of your posts read as parody of the most pretentious reading possible.

Welcome to the SMG experience

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Athletic Footjob posted:

It’s simply unfathomable for people to be both brave and smart. Being a farmer is also a personality.

It worked for Harry Potter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

tokin opposition posted:

Lotta cis people with opinions huh. Interesting

I'm a trans woman and I think the gyno joke is fine, does that count?