Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Do 10th Ed games seem to be shorter than 9th Ed games were?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Paragon8 posted:

It would also be nice to have maybe a new non-Chaos schism in the human factions as well. I always found chaos actually existing undercuts the Imperium as satire of fascism, although I guess you could use that excuse of we're perceiving a lot of the information as propaganda so of course it turns out people ended up being riddled with tentacles and horns.

Further exploring the idea of non-Imperial human factions would be really fun to see, though depending how you count them maybe the Votann are already an example of this. Depending on how GW want to play it I feel like Imperium Nihilus would be a good way to develop the idea, where Imperial control degrades over the human populations and they're left to figure out ways to survive, some of which might not involve praying to a dead guy in a throne on Earth.

From a tabletop point of view you can already do this just by trimming the eagles off your guardsmen models and going full Hasta La Revolucion with your banners, vehicle markings etc, but for that reason GW may not be particularly interested in putting a lot of resources into promoting it.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Stephenls posted:

If I were super independently wealthy and had nothing but free time I would want to construct a Genestealer Cults army that's all kitbashed together to represent a non-GSC plain old non-chaos non-xenos mass uprising on an Imperial world against Imperial governance.

It'd probably be a terrible army because I'd have to leave out all the gribbly alien units, but I suppose "terrible army doomed to defeat in every battle" is in-theme for a grass-roots mass uprising on a hive world.

Having done something like this for a different faction, I can say half the fun of a "counts-as" army is taking an existing unit from the rules and figuring out a way to remake it from completely different models and bits (or finding a suitable .stl). So yeah, your gribbly alien stealer cult units can just become humans in heavy lifting exosuits or reprogrammed servitors or 'roided up manual labourers or chem-waste mutant thralls.

It does take more time to source the required bits and cut/drill/saw/resculpt to assemble them into the shape you want, compared to just buying the kit off the shelf, but depending on what your existing bits box looks like you may have a head start on that already so it may not work out any more expensive. Third party bits resellers are a goldmine for sourcing the rest without having to buy whole kits.

Doooooo iiiiiitttt.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

if you have any online stores or hobby shops or specific places you go to for all of your hobby needs or painting tutorials or anything like that it would save me some time.

If people in the UK (or willing to deal with international shipping) are looking for bits resellers for conversion work then it's worth mentioning bitzbox.co.uk, bitsandkits.co.uk and forbiddengaming.co.uk, I've repeatedly used all three with no issues.

If anyone can make similar recommendations for EU, NA, etc equivalents that would probably be a be useful addition too.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Cooked Auto posted:

As for the US? You've got Hoard 'O Bits and that's it outside of Ebay stores.

Probably worth mentioning eBay as a blanket option wherever you are in the world - if you're looking for a particular part it's probably the place most likely to have it, you just have to hope it isn't at some wildly absurd price.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Ashcans posted:

Does HoardoBits actually sell anything GW anymore? Every time I went there for ages it was just lists of stuff out of stock.

To be fair this same description also has applied to the Games Workshop website recently.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

RagnarokZ posted:

Battlescribe and a handful of alternatives have 10th edition these days mate.

What are the other alternatives? I'd rather not support BattleScribe if I can help it but I'll need to move off the GW app at the end of the month.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Athas posted:

loving hell, I have assembled a single Sister of Silence from the Adeptus Custodes boxed set, and I feel exhausted. This reinforces why I decided to go for a low model count army. Am I the only one who finds assembly much more tiresome than painting? Especially with the extremely small parts that GW has become so fond of using.

I threw together a few old guardsmen this afternoon that I'm thinking to use as guinea pigs for a paint scheme and it was so relaxing and painless. But then, I am a huge insane weirdo and my typical model assembly process involves gathering parts from several kits, and hacking/drilling/sawing until they're beyond recognition before sticking them all together, so perhaps my experience isn't typical.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

I wonder if there's money in offering services as a pro-assembler like there seems to be in pro-painter?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

We have a painting thread. We don't have a converting thread, do we?

Kitchner posted:

If I can't be arsed to stick 50 guardsmen together and I pay someone else to do it, they can probably do it way faster than painting them. So the real question is what's the £ per hour you get for it.

I've spent the better half of a day sticking together 50 guardsmen together, let's say 4 hours. If you charged £80 to do that (or £16 a box) it's £20 per hour. Not sure how that compares to most commission painting. I always think it's way too expensive for me yo ever be interested in paying someone else anyway.

I should probably include that I am cheap. Thinking about it, I'd probably assemble somebody else's miniatures for the cost of "hey, can I keep the spare bits once they're done?"

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

The Deleter posted:

I hope they double down on the no costs for wargear. I'm very happy with not having to loving nickle and dime 5 or 10 points on crisis suits over and over to try and hit the magic limit. +20 points for a shield drone get out of here

On the other hand, without the balancing tool of points values there's only one configuration that matters, the dataslates for your Crisis Suits may as well just say they come with triple ions, shield generators and shield drones, and every other option be erased from the options list.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

I'm curious to see just how wild things are going to get with the different detachments.
Could we, as one example, see units with different points costs, statlines, or wargear options, depending on the detachment being used?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

The Deleter posted:

Also, and this is just a personal thing. I can't imagine making each Ion blaster worth 20 points a pop or whatever the limit is is a satisfying way to balance things. I would rather make the other guns have something going on, especially with Tau in the state it is right now where we have a dearth of all of these fun weapon keywords. Make burst cannons have Sustained, tweak Missile Pod AP, whatever it takes. Hell, maybe represent the actual situation of the weapons on the sprue and limit each suit to one Ion. They did the same for the dreadful Airburst Frag Launcher!

Weirdly, Crisis Suits weapon options would have been much better balanced in a 10th Ed zero-cost wargear environment if half of them hadn't simultaneously had an axe taken to their profile - the 9th Ed codex had 6-shot burst cannons, D6+2 hits on flamers, S4 -1AP airfrags, and 18" fusion blasters. All of those things would make for a more viable set of weapon choices next to the current cyclic ions.

So yes, you can absolutely stat-tweak one gun against another gun to get some approximation of balance (whether GW will do a good job of this is a different question). But unless things start to get really bizarre you can't really balance one gun against no gun. A Leman Russ with sponson heavy bolters, a hunter killer and a pintle stubber is always going to outperform a Leman Russ with none of those things. A unit of 6 crisis suits is always going to outperform a unit of 4 crisis suits.

We had this zero-cost wargear system in 9th, it was called power levels and 99% of the players rejected it and used points values for everything.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

JBP posted:

I guess, but it also makes some loadouts redundant. I'm sure it's less pronounced with some factions but Tau really skews. They're not unbeatable because of it or anything (understand it's the opposite), but there's no incentive to run a crisis team with a particular set-up because oops all CIBs is clearly the best way to roll.

That's absolutely fixable though, half of the reason that CIBs are so ubiquitous is that a bunch of the other Crisis Suit weapons got nerfed into the ground. If you had something akin to the 9th Ed codex profiles where burst cannons had six shots, flamers were D6+2 hits, and fusion blasters had 18" range, they'd all be options with at least some application rather than simply being the wrong choice against every target.

What isn't so fixable is when you're comparing something with nothing: a Leman Russ with sponsons and a pintle stubber and a hunter killer is always going to outshoot a Leman Russ with none of the above. If they both cost the same points, one is going to be outright better. Unless GW start to balance through trade offs where, say, if you take all of the guns and upgrades you start to lose movement, or your save or toughness gets worse, but that doesn't feel very "simplified, not simple".

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Kitchner posted:

The models look great, but with the old guardsman kit I can cut out all the legs, then the bodies, then the pairs of arms, and then the heads, put them in a pile of each thing and just assemble them all on auto pilot without thinking.

With the CAD design stuff it looks sexy as hell but it comes from very specific cuts and ways the models go together. Just slows down the building process that's all.

It also very much undermines the Your Dudes aspect of army construction if every model has to be assembled in one specific way. You end up designing your own unique marine chapter with its own colour scheme and symbols and backstory, and then when you put your squad down on the table it has the exact same combination of dudes in the exact same combination of poses as every other marine squad in the world.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Athas posted:

Is pinning necessary for resin models? I intend to buy a large-ish resin model soon, and I don't know what to expect, except a need for superglue.

I wouldn't say necessary, but it would be highly recommended.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a solution for "one box, one army"?

I'd like something where I can grab one container that fits 2000pts of miniatures

I bought a 4L of really awesome box, but it fits space marine characters, but if anyone is holding a banner, they're too tall. There's then 9L, but then it's too much wasted space to end up holding the large things like, a redemptor or a sororitas immolator or whatever. I really don't enjoy having to carry tons of different sized boxes, what's my options here? Can those expensive $120 carry cases hold 2000pts? Is that seriously my only option??

Depending on whether you're playing Custodes or Stealer Cult that box could differ wildly in size.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Lostconfused posted:

Anyway, I just have to get this all out of my head. This poo poo is too expensive, too much work, I'll probably never go through with it.

The best way to jump on board without having to sell organs is either the aforementioned 3d print route, or to grab someone else's terribly painted second hand army off eBay along with a bottle of whatever plastic friendly paint stripper is available in your part of the world.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

coelomate posted:

gently caress i accidentally started a tau army

I've been watching newly listed 40k lots waiting for something cool, and just saw 7x old magnetized crisis suits plus "some extras" for $70 usd. The picture of "some extras" looked like... 3 more crisis suits AND a new sculpt commander farsight, just with a little breakage and a missing arm here and there? We'll see if I actually get 10+ suits once the shipment gets here, but whatever. It's cyclic ion blaster time!

It's probably worth mentioning, before you rush out and buy 30 3d printed ion blasters off Etsy, that T'au are six months or less from a new codex and given that the ion blaster isn't on the crisis sprue there's a good chance it'll be restricted or outright removed as an option for the unit.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

Space Marines are the only ones that can match that. The models are excellent but they're also the ones in the starters and Leviathan box, and they're all monopose, and they're all pretty much poo poo except for the characters, who are pretty redundant. The terminators can arguably be salvaged by getting some melee arms and/or playing them in a non-codex chapter with good terminators (DA and DW, arguably SW), but the Infernus guys are just the least useful possible marine models. And this is the absolute worst value, with two pushfit units and two pushfit characters.

The Infernus at least look like they'd be relatively easy to saw off the flamer and replace with a bolt rifle?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Mazed posted:

Question about "official" tournament play.

How strict are the rules when it comes to conversions? Like I got a CSM Master of Executions who's a combination of parts from the actual Master of Executions sprue, Deathwing terminators, and Possessed, on the base model of a Primaris Chaplain. Could I actually still use that guy as an MoE, provided he's on the right base?

Here's the link to the Warhammer World Events guide, but the tl;dr version is

a) they like to encourage conversions and think they're cool,

b)but also want to make sure you're not modelling for advantage or fielding anything that could be confusing or misleading,

c) so if you have a conversion that goes beyond a straightforward swap of heads or guns, email them and they'll tell you if it's cool or not.

https://warhammerworld.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2019/10/Updated-Model-Requirements.pdf

Other tournaments may have their own rules but they aren't likely to deviate all the much from the WHW template.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Eej posted:

I'm no engineer or physicist so I don't know the right terms for all this stuff but magnets are held together by a directional force (along the axis of the magnets?) and nothing else which means on something like an arm joint where gravity is exerting shear(?) force on the magnets they won't feel anywhere near as secure once weight is added unlike a tank turret where the magnets are in line with gravity. Having the magnets flush means you get at least some friction from plastic on plastic which will reduce wacky swiveling arms a little bit.

If you double stack magnets that will make arms stick better (I did this for my Forgefiend no prob) but you still get freely spinning arms. I've been told that two magnets spaced apart provides enough resistance to rotation at the expense of, well, not being able to rotate it.

If you don't want rotation you may also be able to drill a hole in one of the pieces you're looking to magnetise and then make a peg on the other piece that aligns with the hole. Depends on the shape and size of those parts though.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Ashcans posted:

I always preferred the idea of renegades like the Astral Claws, marines that were not specifically chaos-ed but more like 'Nah, gently caress this, we're going solo' and then running a renegade life - I know the Claws ended up all in on chaos after getting smashed, which is a shame.

I like the idea of it, but I also like the idea that trying to turn your back on the Imperium without falling under the spell of the warp gods in the process is walking a very fine tightrope, and if you pull it off the Imperium will just tell everyone you turned to chaos anyway.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Innocuous posted:

I'm interested in getting into 40k and I've been looking at a few different options for my first army. At the outset, I'm particularly interested in armies that can integrate irregular forces, so I'm thinking of one of the following:

1) Running Imperial Agents attached to one of the following:
a) Death Watch
b) Gray Wolves
c) Imperial Knights
d) Black Templars
e) Raven Guard
f) Iron Hand

2) Genestealer Cults integrating Astra Militarum as Brood Brothers

Any similar options I'm missing or any obvious standouts from among these combinations in terms of synergy?

Tau literally have a vassel race of auxilia skirmishers integrated into their Empire called the Kroot, if you're not limiting yourself to human options (or you could convert feral world humans to use as Kroot if you are).

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Tangy Zizzle posted:

meta comes and goes and balancing the game is always a work in progress.

Speaking of which, are we due another munitorum points manual rebalance sometime soon?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

I've kidn of wondered about using Van Saars not as Gue'vesa but as basically not-Tau, some enclave that has enough working STCs their tech's about at parity, just using Ash-Jumpers as Crisis Suit analogues.

You just described something pretty similar to my ongoing project. I can say the tau unit range makes a really nice starting point for a high-tech humans total conversion army since the whole Tau army has a kind of humanoid feel to it. There's not really anything with a statline or ability that is wildly alien like you might get if you were trying to use, say, the Tyranid or Necron or Ork codexes, even down to the army playstyle as a whole.

I was already committed to other models for the bulk of my units before the current Necromunda kits came out so I'm pretty jealous of you having the opportunity to use those from the outset but I've managed to include some elements of the Van Saar range in places:

(Please ignore the rough wip green stuff and filing work, I will tidy that up before I paint them)

I'm using these to be counts-as Ethereals, with the idea of them being cyber-warfare specialists with intel and datahacking tools providing the equivalent abilities.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Testikles posted:

My hot take is custodes shouldn't be a playable faction. At best they should have been a detachment. It makes no sense to me why they're out beyond the palace getting into random skirmishes when they're the palace guard. It's like if the UK deployed the King's Guard and the Beefeaters to Iraq in 2003.

I mean, yeah, but then the same argument could have been credibly made about Space Marines showing up on actual contested battlefields any time post-Heresy.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Stephenls posted:

So, Krootwise, the original announcement was the Flesh Shaper, War Shaper, Krootox Rampagers, and the new Carnivores and Krootox, which they said was "about half" of the new Kroot releases. I figured at the time that meant four unrevealed models, since if it were five they wouldn't have used that "about" weasel-word to qualify "half." They've since shown the Trail Shaper, Lone-spear, and the new Kroot Hounds, plus the event model that's just a Carnivore doing a jump.

Did the original article say they'd unveiled "about half" the new Kroot, or "about half" the new models coming with the T'au codex?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

I thought it didn't because everyone tooled up for AP3 (to kill marines) so that 5+ never came into play.

AP3 meant that marines would actually get to use their cover save though - it was small arms fire where they'd be taking the 3+ armour save instead.

My own lean on it is that cover should be a 6+FNP, or a +1 to any existing FNP roll.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

JBP posted:

I've always preferred the system where AP needs to beat the armour save or it doesn't penetrate at all, but I think I'm in the minority there.

It did a great job of distinguishing between different grades of armour.

Space marines tanking autocannon and heavy bolter rounds on a 3+ that just blew through carapace armour really helped with emphasizing how tough to kill they really were supposed to be.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

the Tau are basically a multi-season arc Star Trek villain that has the unfortunate luck of dealing with the Imperium instead of the Federation and look good by comparison

"Resistance is futile, you WILL be assimilated"?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Paragon8 posted:

they're getting new models soon so hold off on Kroot purchases unless its the kill team!

Though the new box is likely to be 10 to a box and maybe more expensive too, so you may be better grabbing the current box while you can.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

raverrn posted:

Worse, I'm gonna boycott GW by not building the Tau models I've been sitting on for a year!

It could have been worse, they could have given them the twin-linked and combi weapon treatment.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

It also doesn't help that it's somewhat arbitrarily enforced. Land Raiders have two twin linked lascannons, but whoops, we want Land Raiders to be good, so they get to be special and have their two guns actually fire two shots.

More annoyingly, the Land Raider also has a paired heavy bolter mount which .... does count as a single twin linked gun. They can't even be consistent in implementation on the same damned model.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

raverrn posted:

Yeah, distinctly unenthused by those Crisis Suit changes. I feel GW trying to cut out the CIB spam, but overall pretty dire.

They should at least be cheap.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Eej posted:

https://cdn.fbsbx.com/v/t59.2708-21...e=65F4848B&dl=1

Entire Tau codex leak, minus a couple datasheets (Vespids and Pathfinders?)

Pretty sure Vespids are temporarily in hibernation or moved to Legends until their Kill Team models get released and then they'll have a dataslate. Pathfinders are definitely in the but just not leaked yet.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Eej posted:

Even more radical theory: Inquisition book, GK and DW lose their books and are just armies with 1-2 detachments in the greater Inquisition book.

When the Daemonhunters and then Witchhunters codexes were released back in 4th(?) edition there were persistent rumours that work was being done on an Ordo Xenos book as well but obviously that never materialised at the time.

There's six very obvious detachments too; Ordo Malleus, Ordo Hereticus and Ordo Xenos, and then each comes in Puritan/Radical variants.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Has anyone 3rd Party made replacement guns for Desoltaors? I watched a few YT games where they performed well, but I would never want to paint those models

Conversion rather than a replacement, but this might be what your looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE7l0ih0Np0

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

are there even rules in the Tau Codex for Human Auxilaries?

There were some Chapter Approved rules way back in 3rd-4th Ed times but they haven't been an 'official, on the table' thing for a while. Mostly it feels like GW hasn't come up with a niche for them that isn't 'Fire Warriors, but worse' or 'Kroot Carnivores, but worse', since bundling a Gue'Vesa conversion sprue of techy Tau bits with a Cadian box like the Brood Brothers kit would be an easy addition.

sharkmafia posted:

human auxiliaries would probably just use fire warrior rules, i think ive seen a tau army with that conversion before

This is the way that most Gue'Vesa conversion projects get used on the table, yes. There's enough compatibility between the Fire Warrior and Guard kits (though a bit less so with some of the newer kits) that you can switch the parts in and out without it being too much of a headache. Would be just as viable to use them in-game as an Astra Militarum army though with some Tau symbols converted or painted in, and go down the route of "just because we all defected to the Greater Good and got some new bits of uniform doesn't necessarily mean they gave us access to the more powerful guns".

Lostconfused posted:

I haven't looked at how to play Tau at all though, so right now I'm thinking off proxying Tau for guard so swap in a Crisis Suit for a Scout Sentinel

Funny you should say Sentinels, since I used them as the basis for my Crisis Suit conversions:

I went to the full extreme with this army of using the Tau rules as a template for "a bunch of high tech gun-focused nerds in battlemechs" but removing the T'au models from the equation entirely, sourcing the parts for the conversions from literally anywhere else in the GW model range, and writing them up as a lost human civilization coming back with bigger guns to reclaim what the Imperium took from them.

I have 4000pts or so of this absolute madness built with a goal to get it all painted by the end of the year:

I will make some sort of effortpost about this one day.

Lostconfused posted:

Playing Imperial Guard instead of Astra Miletarum because it's T'au Empire :getin:

For The Greater Guard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Decorus posted:

Those battlemech humans look seriously cool! Please do show us some more detailed pictures.

Sure thing: here's my Ghostkeel stand-in, WIP and then finished model shots (though I changed the colour scheme and the modelling of the winglets).

Also: Farsight in non-Xenos form:

Yvonmukluk posted:

This is so great. I actually have had vague dreams of doing something similar but other than buying some Van Saar kits it’s gone nowhere, partially because I wound buying a bunch of Tau so it would be somewhat redundant. Maybe I’ll use them as Gue’Vesa down the line. It’s so cool to see someone commit to the idea.

I suppose between the Van Saar and now Solar Auxilia there’s a lot more options for converting Gue’Vesa.

It's been a double-edged sword - between the various new additions for the Necromunda, Kill Team and 40k ranges there are a lot more kits that I can use for bits then there were when I started this a few years ago. But, some of the original kits I have used have been replaced and gone OOP which makes things trickier if I wanted to add more units in future or (as has happened a few times) a new codex changes a unit's size and I have to go looking for old parts to add an extra squad member or two.

quote:

I can’t see any Kroot proxies there, unless I missed them - if you ever go down that route (assuming you don’t just want to use actual Kroot as mercenaries) maybe converting some Fellgor Ravagers? After all if there are humans there’s probably also abhumans.

I went with tech-savage humans for my Kroot equivalents - the Fellgor didn't exist when I started building them otherwise they'd have been a good choice. Here's some:

And I made some of these Good Boys for the hounds: