Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Picked the best poster for the OP imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Play a chapter that's constantly near total ruin and you never have to justify it

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Athas posted:

I have a somewhat odd question. Which army does the thread think is easiest to transport? I imagine it's more or less directly related to model count (barring huge vehicles), so Adeptus Custodes?

It's less to do with model count and more to do with extra crap that hangs way past the base/hull of a model, as well as anything with a flying base because those break so easily. Dark Eldar spikey bits from flyers, anything with big halberds/spears. That poo poo's awful. When I played Orks it was easy af to transport because I just had big square sections of foam I plucked out for each of my 30 man squads and I just piled them in there as they died, and they had almost nothing that would catch on foam/other models and get torn apart, even with a 250ish model count army it was easy to move around.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

When they first came out weren’t they the Tau’s answer for close combat? Cheap and devastating if you let them close in

They were dogshit at the time in melee, but at various times they were better than firewarriors for shooting per point you spent on them.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

ro5s posted:

That was basically the old system - hope your army gets a codex this edition and maybe they'll put out an FAQ to address the nonfunctioning rules and that it. If your army sucks then better luck next time, idiot.

Maybe if you owned 3 armies you wouldn't have to worry about this!!!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

The quality in general has gone up over the last couple of years. Especially now that we also have authors who are more or less equal to Abnett when it comes to fantastic writing.

Also helps that the old guard of GW has seemingly stopped writing as well. Because a lot of them were never really that great.
A pity some of those still jealously guarding their territory to the detriment of others.

Yeah, some of the original BL authors were awful. And plenty of the ones that had good books were, at best, wildly inconsistent. Their visions for 40k were good for the page-length narratives that codexes thrive on, but not for novels.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sherbert Hoover posted:

This sounds extremely awesome and grimdark

The entire thing was written like the Grey Knights were murdering innocent virgins to bathe in their blood in order to protect themselves from demons and it was extremely gross and weird in-universe and meta textually

S.J.
May 19, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

it also just made no sense at all in the universe as established (if sisters are an 8 on the scale of Imperial Purity, Grey Knights are like a 12, why kill them, etc.) which is less of a sin than being gross and edgy, but highlights how there was no purpose to the writing except to be gross and edgy

i still think he'd have gotten away with his Lore Crimes if his rules weren't so insanely hosed that they actively hastened the death of an entire 25+ year old game line

as time passes there are fewer people who remember what 7th edition WHFB daemons of chaos were like, so let me state for the record that they made index eldar look tame. there was nothing in that book that was remotely ok.

That book loving ruled. It was so over the top. Every single unit in it could almost effortlessly clown on any other faction without breaking a sweat and god forbid you used a well kitted out character of literally any kind.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Tzeentch Flamers specifically had a reputation.

Was it the Slaanesh stuff that had the banners of practically auto-breaking your opponent? I just remember laughing my rear end off at everything in that book

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

Heres a hot take:- death guard is lame, world eaters is where its at.

A correct, hot blooded take

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah, considering how wide of a pool of World Eaters and khorne stuff they had to pull from, the fact that they doubled down on the 'durr, run at the other guys' angle is pretty bad

S.J.
May 19, 2008

World Eater obliterators would be on brand as gently caress

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The Bee posted:

I definitely wish World Eaters got some firepower. Make it firepower that makes your charges punchier, if that's how you want to do it, but it feels like Khorne would be all about hellish explosives, perma-overcharged plasma, and enough spent shell casings to actually make that whole Brass Citadel of his live up to its name.

Let me punch holes in a unit's armor save with that plasma, while a storm of brass stops targeted units from Overcharging my berserkers. Maybe even a way to take away Fights First or Counter-Offensive. You can totally have guns in a melee focused army without them ruining the fantasy of what makes World Eaters tick.

The fact that World Eaters didn't get a havoc style unit with some sort of Fire Frenzy rule is absolute bullshit

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

I mean, they got one single unit box and two characters.

It still blows my mind GW figured that was enough for their launch!

They could've literally just let them use havocs and obliterators. They're right there!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sephyr posted:

Nope. But can I interest you in these variant blade cultists that are too slow to advance and clear objectives but too frail to hold the backfield?

:negative:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

They need to use it as an opportunity to do a bike refresh with berzerkers on bikes.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

Oh hold up I did forget Jakhals. Two unit boxes and two characters.

Three units if we're counting berserkers.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ristolaz posted:

I dont play 40k, but I was interested that this edition was supposed to be less lethal. Did that actually pan out?

For some of the factions: :negative:
For some of the factions: :getin:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is that a new sculpt already for the godawful primaries rocket launcher guys?

No, they just hadn't been available in a standalone box yet.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Notahippie posted:

I think the gap between these two povs is partly just that there's always room for interpretation of things and partly that the way that GW does fluff causes some narrative whiplash. I liked the first HH book because it felt like Abnett was setting up a Greek tragedy where the Emperor couldn't tell Horus the truth about chaos without undermining his own goals, but that then led Horus to confront the fact that his spacedad was lying to his face which set up a feeling of rejection. But then the next author comes in and hams up Horus as a powerhungry mustache-twirling evil tyrant. I don't think they ever settled on any core theme within the writing team.

I have no proof of this outside of what the books ended up being but I feel like the idea of there being a "writing team" at all is probably wishful thinking. I'd love to be wrong though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The Demilich posted:

WIP of one of my Noise Marines

Holy gently caress this rules

S.J.
May 19, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

You've got red on you mate.

Do models go out of print/stock for extended periods? I recall there was discussion about scheduling factor time and stuff is queued way in advance. Hellblasters seem to be sold out at all the discounters, Azrael too (possibly not a coincidence) Do I just have to pay GW prices sometimes?

Yes, and it's way worse now than its basically ever been. Lots of stuff is constantly going out of stock.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

coelomate posted:

When I discovered CK War Dogs had stock issues, I thought it would be relatively isolated, but it looks like tones of kits are out of stock and heavily marked up on the secondary market, across multiple factions.

Is there any trend to this? Flipping through the marine codex, I wanted to see how kits broke down, and soooo many of them are out of stock, like hellblasters and the tanks.

Do they pop back into stock now and then, or is this just hype from codex release, or..?

Things have been like this for a couple years now, honestly. They've been having pretty serious issues keeping items in stock.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

It seems like the pandemic both increased demand and slowed down their ability to resupply places quickly. It's going to be an issue for GW eventually if it keeps going on at the rate it has

That's certainly part of it. The other part is a shift in warehousing and some associated pains that go along with it, and just a general lack of speed in getting new production online to keep up with the increase in demand. Although there are certainly other things going on I'm not aware of.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The Demilich posted:

Finally got another missile launcher for my Iron Warriors Terminator 2.0 project, so now they've both got a proper tyrant siege terminator feel.

My headcanon is the Iron Warriors who are elevated to the elite echelon of the Stor-Bezashk may undergo multiple additional surgeries to become living war machines, akin pseudo Dreadnoughts.

Portions of the astartes body are outright removed (such as the arms, which are replaced with augmetics), and further cybernetic enhancements are installed in addition to further modifications to the black carapace so the warriors can integrate better with the arnor.

Just like the arms are no longer flesh, The terminator heads you see don't actually have an Astartes head in them, they're no longer a helmet per say, more of an updated auspex/auger array while the marines torso and actual head is encased further inside the shell.

I love every bit of this. Do you plan on using them for Obliterators or something else?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

moths posted:

Is there any viable way to do World Eaters without World Eaters? Just a Daemon Prince, Jakhals, Daemon Engines, and allied Daemons?

I'm having fun converting Corpse Grinders for Necromunda, and it occurred to me that enough of them could make an army. But maybe a stupid one.

Yeah, especially with a Lord of Skulls.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Happy Orktober. Got this guy from a fire sale years ago and his packaging was dated in the late 90's, but it was fun to work on a metal model again.

oh god the nostalgia
looks great

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

So, is the magnet crowned, flush, or below flush? I tried it with the power klaw on my nob and the arm fell off with the magnet crowned.

I guess it might also be that the magnets aren't strong enough.

Flush, but depending on the joint/material, slightly below flush is perfectly fine if you end up drilling a little too deep. You want the plastic on plastic contact friction to keep the joints from moving around, generally speaking.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The Demilich posted:

The Hearthguard proportions just don't look Dwarven to me

c'mooooon, he's just a little guyyyyy, just a little birthday boyyyyy, c'moooonnnn

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

Listening to the 2nd Ciaphas Cain novel as I'm painting my guards. So prometheum is just oil?

I haven't thought about this until now, but looking at this land raider

How much of imperium is rolling coal?

SPACE oil tyvm

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

World War 1/2 influences are still the strongest, just from the sheer number of guards in a squad to them all carrying a backpack and bedroll like they're on the march.

The largest influence from Aliens is the torso armor and shoulder pads. Aliens itself is a parody of Vietnam war too.

And, lol, never noticed that the marines started out in the movie with not m4s

Even better, that m16 is the squad flamethrower.

E: fb

S.J.
May 19, 2008

moths posted:

Presenting: the first flamethrower that jams!
*Taps forward assist, nervously.*

ohgodohgodohgod

S.J.
May 19, 2008

God damnit I just want the necromunda releases to be in plastic for god's sake

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

Good luck, the only Necromunda plastic is terrain and squads for the most part.

I know it's just frustrating. We get a generic truck in an expensive plastic kit that nobody really wanted but squats can't get a plastic vehicle release alongside everyone else's plastic vehicles. I wish they'd gone with something smaller that would've justified it being in plastic like the bikes, etc.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Captain Magic posted:

Have you thought about converting GSC or other stuff for Squats? I’ve toyed with it a bit but I haven’t landed on anything I like, wondering what other people have done.

Well yeah that would be easy enough, but I also was hoping for something that wasn't so explicitly imperial. I might end up ordering one just to convert it up as a Hekaton for my Leagues though, so I think I might be incorporating some of the squat characters into my army anyways since I was looking to have more of a 'mining operation' vibe going on.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

I know I’m a wet blanket, but I vastly preferred when the Heresy was a huge event that took place so long ago that fact mixes with fiction. Things are much better when they’re murky, but I know that fans demand clarity and specifics.

This is a perfectly reasonable take and I'm not just saying that because I agree.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

While I don't disagree, that ship sailed in like 2010 and I've come to peace with it in the intervening years

Sure, it's not like I'm renting an ad truck to drive around GW headquarters complaining about it or something. It's just too bad. That being said, we wouldn't be seeing any game in the LI scale if it weren't for HH popularity, because there's no way they'd want competing 40k miniature games at the same time ever again. I don't see them ever bringing out a true version of epic ever again for that reason alone.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

JBP posted:

Because I'm going to have Krieg guys in my infantry squad supporting field guns I've decided to make it kind of a mixed Krieg and Cadian vibe and model some of the artillery crew mid argument over the way to do things.

This sounds loving awesome

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Steel Legion is infinitely cooler than Krieg. Sorry nerds.

Al-Saqr posted:

Is it controversial if i say i love calgars look, personality and lore more than roboute guilliman? Lol i love that old angry rear end in a top hat and the double fists is so rad

Amazing paint job!

No, Calgar is way cooler than Guilliman and has done way cooler poo poo. A dude who gets his arms ripped off and then decides he's going to steal chaos powerfists to replace them with so he has EVEN BIGGER FISTS to punch people with is loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

he used to just be a guy with two regular power fists and an impressive squat. then he had the bolter fists and inherited them from guilliman. dunno when it got changed to that.

Huh, I might just be misremembering. Calgar's powerfists have been special since I've been playing back in 3e, but I forgot that they had originally been from when G was around. Or maybe that changed? Either way Calgar is way cooler.