Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Malgrin posted:

A bit ago someone said something to the effect of "we've known for the vast majority of this pandemic that covid is airborne." This is a clear indicator that even covid-cautious people still believe it is primarily spread by droplets. At least, I can't think of any other explanation.

Well, QCS believes it's absorbed through the skin, so who can say what's true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Zantie posted:

People largely focus on mutations involving the spike protein that result an amino acid change, though I'd argue it's worth paying attention to regions other than the spike protein but that's a discussion for another day... Right now the new sublineage we're talking about Omicron, its spike protein has >30 amino acid changes from it's parent of Omicron (an omicron), it's also >30 compared to Omicron (an omicron omicron), and has nearly 60 different from the original back in 2019. We don't know yet how quickly Omicron is spreading or just how immune evasive it is because it's too early to tell. In general though it's a lot harder for our immune system to recognize and mount a quick response, whether it be from prior infection or vaccination or both, when a new one looks this different.

I'm like totally uninterested in Omicron now because of Omicron. Omicron is one of many heading up our current wave but I'm looking past that at what will likely be the one after it.
Fixed to follow WHO guidelines.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

CGI Stardust posted:

throughout history, Mental Health has been a concern

it seems to be something of a pattern

i can only assume that significantly more than 32,000 people died of choleraphobia, their names and dates of death tragically lost to the sands of time

it's funny how the absolute worst people are always very concerned about mental health, but never about physical health. it's almost like there's some kind of pattern

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

She managed to find a telehealth doctor through the state and got the prescription. Getting it filled now.

I’m so loving pissed. I’m testing negative, will test the kids again. Good thing I’ve been falling asleep on the couch the last two days.

get yourself a pax script right now, so you can start taking asap if you start to feel sick. at worst, you've spent 0-$20 on a box of pax to have on hand for your next covid infection. at best, it lets you start treatment immediately, without worrying about business hours or weekends.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

i worked in concerts for 20 years, and show/tour cancellations are up by an absurd amount compared to pre-covid. it went from under 5% of shows being canceled, to 20-30% getting canceled. with the end of year shows getting closer to 50%.

the info on why shows get canceled has always been spotty, especially due to health reasons. but there's a big gap in the number of additional shows being canceled due to covid, and the number that admit that it's covid causing the cancellation.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

My doctor gave me 39 boxes of pax to use at raves this summer

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

no lube so what posted:

like, if virus A will cause an immunodeficiency syndrome and a new virus B will cause an immunodeficiency syndrome that is very similar to virus A, yet not defined, why not describe it with a common vernacular if the immunodeficiency syndrome are similar so as to signify the significance of the new immunodeficiency syndrome that is emerging? easy messaging for a laymen to understand the threat? seems reasonable

Because to certain people AIDS means the gay disease that gays get because it's gay.

So just because COVID is airborne and can cause people to Aquire an Immuno Deficiency Syndrome, you can't call it airborne AIDS.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Pingui posted:

Being allowed to call it AIDS (airborne or not) here isn't really a hill worth dying on. That COVID can give immune deficiencies is the important part.

If people really want to discuss the immune deficiency angle, they should jump into the very large study I posted today as it is good poo poo (from a science standpoint).

Do you happen to have some studies on COVID and pregnancy handy?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Oh, cool. We're in the part of the QCS cycle where it's an FFA to troll this thread without repercussions, and mods are looking for enough bans and permas to make the gossip crew shut up for a couple weeks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Shiroc posted:

To put things very openly and directly, I think that the mods and admins have continually failed to handle things until it gets into deep frustration and escalation that builds over years.

In my brief period as IK, I had queued longer probes on dongicus, who was openly trolling the thread, calling us r-slurs, going on complete breakdowns about how we don't get enough pussy and was told that it would just escalate things to probe people beyond what the rules said. This led to me quitting when it just built up into this absurd thing with posting Mega Tard over and over and WAIST getting an avatar mocking the death of his uncle and feeling like me and Trixie were just getting tons of heat without any support.

I feel like posting a screenshot of a report and giving it 30 days or giving trashy owl a week for getting frustrated and making a couple dumb posts completely runs against the whole "disproportionate" poo poo vylekin gave me and that people in this thread keep being told we are obligated to be on our best behavior when people can go around making up whatever dumbass lore about the thread and individuals that they want in the fractal drama threads.

I bring up the immunocompromised point because while I do think some of these posts are bad, I think given that our whole society is throwing people under the bus to die, understanding that actual people are writing these posts and showing a little loving grace to their lives would be better instead of insulting LC entries and way longer punishments than the posts can actually call for.

e:
Like this poo poo

Nobody was fantasizing mass shootings at Costco. Does anyone on the mod team actually, genuinely think that facetoucher cat's admitted psychosis and whatever actually happened in the reality of her story has *anything* to do with the covid thread now almost 3 years later?

Preemptive grats on the permaban.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

skooma512 posted:

free silicone thrills.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Harold Fjord posted:

PYF IK who bought herself transphobic avs

Who also had a grudge against the COVID thread.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Bastard Tetris posted:

I’m a middle aged cis white male and outside of the BSL-3 lab I just wear an Aura, maybe people have been weird behind my back or something but in 3.5 years I have never been confronted in a hostile manner.

It’s mostly just: “oh still masking?” “yeah I haven’t been sick in three years it’s awesome”

Same demographic, in a warehouse manufacturing job, and I've gotten basically no flack from wearing an aura at work all day. Just a few questions about if I wear it every where or just at work, and asking how I can wear it so much? Answer: I'm very powerful.

Based on how often coworker come to me with questions and for help, I'm one of the more respected members of the crew. So wearing a mask isn't destroying my social status or anything.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

GXL posted:

I'm glad that the white man aura crew is having a fine time. It's different if you're walking through this world in a PAPR and brown skin.

My wife and I have both gotten poo poo about the masks outside of work, and she's had a few customers say things. But our coworkers and bosses have been fine.

Worst encounter was a strung out dude in rural Oregon who followed us and kept saying "WUHAN WUHAN WUHAN" while we were walking down a sidewalk.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

hailthefish posted:

lmao

wearing an n95 for hours at a time while engaged in physical activity does, unquestionably, suck absolute rear end but it's not like, impossible or traumatizing or anything, it just fuckin sucks. like I'm a big fat out of shape goon with commensurate cardiovascular and respiratory health and managed just fine lmao

THE WHOLE IDEA BEHIND N95 MASKS IS THAT THEY ARE MADE FOR USE IN PHYSICAL LABOR JOBS.

Yeah, it sucks compared to not using a mask. But not breathing in fiberglass, metal dust, wood particles, virus particles, or any of the other particle hazards encountered in workplaces is literally the reason that the standard exists.

I wear an aura for 9+ hours a day in a warehouse manufacturing job, so I really don't have any sympathy for someone who can't deal with making for 20 minutes in a grocery store.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Got some moth juice at Costco today. Pharmacist said that they were only going to do Noxavax on Fridays, because they had a limited supply of 5 dose vials, but they got some extras in last night, so we got lucky to have our appointments honored. $140 each with Costco membership, and I get to try getting reimbursement from Kaiser.

8 hours in, and no real side effects. Arm is sore like a lite punch. The back of my foot hurts, but I doubt that's the vaccine. Afair, bad stuff started around hours 8-12 with the mRNA shots.

It's weird how every other vax does basically nothing to me, but the COVID ones give me 24 hours of kick-my-rear end flu symptoms. Flu, Tdap, chicken pox, hepatitis, pneumonia, and MMR were all just some injection site soreness.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Zantie posted:

In other news it's been 24 hours since my Novavax shot and I'm happy to report the worst symptom was arm pain! I definitely recommend trying it over Moderna if you are the type to have a rough time with it.

I got my novavax shot a couple hours before work, did a full day of work running cables, then went home to sleep. Only side effect was that my arm was a little sore, I did feel that arm was off a couple times when I tried pulling with my left arm. But overall it was nothing like the mRNA shots. I wouldn't have been able to work after getting those, because I would have been curled up in a shivering, sweating ball.

A+, will bring a moth again.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

shazbot posted:

just lol how much more contagious can this thing get

Afair, we've been getting roughly a 20% increase in infectiousness every 4 months.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Post on your main.

can't, he's perma banned

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Pingui posted:

Hopefully they are confused about kf/kn94's and not cloth masks, but...

A mask is a mask, according to the CDC. A shirt wrapped around your face is just as good a p100 half mask or n95. And you should never use those professional masks, because healthcare workers need them to rot away in the supply closet so you can see their beautiful smiles.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

For every one person who knowingly goes around with COVID, there's a hundred more who go around with COVID while saying it's just allergies or the cold.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Woodsy Owl posted:

Scary poo poo. I think we did t have any evidence for transmission via eyeball and now we do.

A half-mask P100 alone hasn't been sufficient all along.

we actually had evidence of ocular transmission AND human -> feline -> human transmission in the same case study!
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2324348/local-team-says-covid-kitten-spread-virus-to-human
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/28/7/21-2605_article

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Pingui posted:

I don't think the thread will survive next summer's inevitable push for closure; we barely eked out an extended stay of execution last summer, which I am fairly certain came entirely down to the admin team being notified that the day most of the bullshit was going on, 3 people that don't post in the thread asked for and received help on getting Paxlovid.

Everyone got distracted by the drama thread star pulling a spr. Which is also the same thing that happened the previous time.

100% of drama thread superstars who lead a push to close this thread buy themselves transphobic avatars and get permabanned.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

covid continues to ruin the holidays

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I'm just assuming that all hell will break loose when the kids go back to school in a week (if not sooner). What do I need to stock up on before the hoarding hordes descend? I'm ordering more Flo and Betadine spray, Kleenex, cough syrup, and chicken noodle soup. I've got three thermometers - with disposable sleeves - and a pulse ox.

I'm not talking about toilet paper and bread, just medical - type supplies.

nothing, because covid is over

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

remembering things is a lockdown

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Rescue Toaster posted:

I know years ago we all joked about how there would be a market catering to people who have permanently hosed sense of smell and/or taste.

Well I see Campbell's now has loving Ghost Pepper Chicken Noodle. There's at least a dozen other 'Spicy' soup varieties. And way beyond the things you might expect like chili or gumbo or whatever. Just total nonsense.

spicy food is good, hth

infinite dumb varieties are a symptom of capitalism desperately searching for more market share and trying to get boosts in profits from novel items. the big food companies have been throwing poo poo at the wall and combining brands for years now. it gives all their idiot MBAs and food scientists something to do.

spicy soups are about the least offensive product of this, especially when things like sour patch kids cereal existed pre-covid.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Platystemon posted:

COVID would have to kill like seventy million people in a year to flatline population growth.

It’s the king of infectious disease, but it’s not beating malaria and TB by two orders of magnitude.

yeah, to do that, covid would need to do something completely impossible, like pick up mutations to get within 10% of SARS1's lethality.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

tangy yet delightful posted:

As a mega-white piece of poo poo coming from the lands of high latitudes I kinda want to get a Vit D test but I'm guessing even with insurance it'd be like $50 and the only real reason would be to post it here so anyway.

taking vitamin D is cheaper than testing for any deficiency

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Do they explain which variant is the one you want to get?

omicron, of course. it's the mild one

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

hello, i would like funding to infect new species with sars2. i am totally not 150lbs of covid inside a trenchlabcoat.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Silent Linguist posted:

Just checking, if everyone in our house tests positive, is there any need for us to mask/isolate from each other?

No.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

My MIL was just hospitalized with a blood clot.

Jokes about the vaccine notwithstanding, is this a normal thing to happen to a healthy person on the younger side of middle age now? Additionally, if I have to fly across the country in the next day or so, what kind of PPE should I wear on the plane?

PPE for an airborne particle hazard. The hazard source is humans.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

I have 3M N95s both with and without the cool valve thing.

Those are PPE for an airborne particle hazard! Auras are still the gold standard for N95s, nothing has changed there.

For something less flippant, did you write much about the religious reasons to continue masking and avoid illnesses like covid? I read Martin Luther's Plague essay, and having been using that as a basis for some of my reasoning with HR types, but was hoping you had already done some of that homework.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

fosborb posted:

oh whoops, didn't realize this was posted in another thread

for context

can confirm, this happened to me. gigavaxed white dude and my wife gave birth to a baby with asian features.

wife is part japanese

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

euphronius posted:

all disease now is just allergies, like how all tissues are Kleenex

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Internet Janitor posted:

i wonder how many established industries with PPE requirements have the same "cheat day" problem

"oh, normally when i do asbestos remediation i wear my gear, but today was karl's birthday and we had to take a few photos..."

we deal with fiberglass in my workplace, and PPE use is abysmal. it's a constant battle to get people to wear masks while working with fiberglass, and then even harder to get them to wear masks correctly.

<dude with a one strap n95 flopping on his face> : i hate how my throat feels after working with this poo poo.
<me, pointing to my mask>: i never have that problem, grats on the silicosis.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

I bought a laser printer like 5 years ago, it doesn’t have DRM, and I think eventually it ends up being cheaper because the cost per page is lower

brother laser printers are the correct choice

i bought one on black friday for $40 in like 2008, and the demo toner cart lasted until 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

https://m.publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=3434026

Anyone in the market for 352,000 3M Auras for $200?

that's two full trailers of pallets, plus freight shipping around $5/mi per a truck to get them anywhere.